Ladies Only- beauty question

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Okay that's a dorky title, I know. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any good tips for strong fingernails? I have nice medium length natural nails (no acrylics) and I wear polish 99% of the time for strength because they're very bendable especially when wet. I am currently using "Healthy Hoof" nail cream. I have used DeLore Oil too but my nails still peel at the ends. Does anyone have any secrets?? Do I need to start sucking down prenatal vitamins? :)
Rain

Post by Rain »

Calcium. Take calcium pills and use Hard as Nails under your polish.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks! I'll try that. :)
minks

Post by minks »

Gelatin

and get a load of this, if you use hair gel that will aid in healthy nails yep when you put that in your hair go ahead and get it on your nails it works honest.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

And you can take gelatin pills too-just like the Knox-was that the name of it?

It helps you hair also, minks has it right!
minks

Post by minks »

chonsigirl;722990 wrote: And you can take gelatin pills too-just like the Knox-was that the name of it?

It helps you hair also, minks has it right!

and not much gelatin in jello to do you any good so don't think that is an easy out hehehe

― Mae West
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hair gel?? Now that's just weird! But hey I'll try it. :D

I'll get some Knox too. Thanks!

I used to be a bad nailbiter. Then wore acrylics. Got sick of the maintenance of those and finally decided to just accept my own. :)
minks

Post by minks »

Also Glitter file your nails so they are rounded, if you go for the flat top look you have "corners" if your nails are brittle these "corners" snap off. I had a manicure once and I asked to try the flat across style egads those corners were my undoing, my nails cracked way down past my finger tips and a couple were incredibly painful, I had to nurse the cracks along past my finger tips and keep applying crazy glue till I could finally take a file to them.

Good luck hun.

― Mae West
weeder

Post by weeder »

You MUST take vitamins. Your never going to believe this... The pointer finger on my right hand had severe nail fungus for more than 20 years. My nail bed was spooned in. The finger was very ugly. It was embarassing to me in restaurants, or when I held a drink. I kept it cut very short, and filed to be clean looking.. A few months ago ( after trying all kinds of topical and internal remedys.... I looked down, and realized the nail was growing in beautifully. I thought. " why? what have I done? Ah.... the vitamins that I have been taking for a little over a year. With folic acid.. Actually, all of my nails are very beautiful right now....... Vitamin deficency is responsible for many physical symptoms.... like poor nails.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Wow, that's quite a testament to vitamins. I'm glad to hear that. Do you have a brand preference or just so long as they have folic acid? I am terrible at taking vitamins but I do have some on hand. They say it only takes seven days to start a new habit! :)
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

RED

I do very little for my nails and they're strong & beautiful.

All I do - take vitamins

I take - a complex vitamin - vitamin E - cod liver oil (gel) vitamin

Oh, and have a glass of wine..:-2

Patsy
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

To keep your nails hydrated, rub a small amount of petroleum jelly into your cuticle and the skin surrounding your nails every evening before you go to bed or whenever your nails feel dry. Keep a jar in your purse, desk drawer, car -- anywhere you might need it. Not a fan of petroleum jelly? Substitute castor oil. It's thick and contains vitamin E, which is great for your cuticles. Or head to your kitchen cupboard and grab the olive oil -- it also works to moisturize your nails.

To make your nails as strong and resilient as a horse's hooves, take 300 micrograms of the B vitamin biotin four to six times a day. Long ago, veterinarians discovered that biotin strengthened horses' hooves, which are made from keratin, the same substance in human nails. Swiss researchers found that people who took 2.5 milligrams of biotin a day for 5.5 months had firmer, harder nails. In a U.S. study, 63 percent of people taking biotin for brittle nails experienced an improvement.

Add a glass of milk and a hard-boiled egg to your daily diet. Rich in zinc, they'll do wonders for your nails, especially if your nails are spotted with white, a sign of low zinc intake.

File your nails correctly. To keep your nails at their strongest, avoid filing in a back-and-forth motion -- only go in one direction. And never file just after you've gotten out of a shower or bath -- wet nails break more easily.

Massage your nails to keep them extra strong and shiny. Nail buffing increases blood supply to the nail, which stimulates the matrix of the nail to grow.

Polish your nails, even if it's just with a clear coat. It protects your nails. If you prefer color, use a base coat, two thin coats of color, and a top coat. Color should last at least seven days but should be removed after 10 days.

14. Avoid polish removers with acetone or formaldehyde. They're terribly drying to nails. Use acetate-based removers instead.

I use Sally Hansen.....Hard as nails , not sure if you can get it in America though
weeder

Post by weeder »

RedGlitter;723040 wrote: Wow, that's quite a testament to vitamins. I'm glad to hear that. Do you have a brand preference or just so long as they have folic acid? I am terrible at taking vitamins but I do have some on hand. They say it only takes seven days to start a new habit! :)

This is the first time in my life that I have stuck to taking the vitamins religiously. I dont like swallowing them. They do other great things for you too. Like promote regularoty which helps with weight loss. I take Nature Maid

Multi for her 50 plus. Without iron. Iron causes me problems. They can be anywhere from 7.00 to 9.00 per bottle for 90. Often there is a 2 for one sale.

I originally researched and began taking them for joint pain. The nail thing was an unexpected bonus. I would never stop now. I cant tell you how miserable that mutilated finger made me. It was also very painful when I had to clip it very short to keep it presentable looking. The peeling of your nails can be an allergy to nail polish. I had that problem also. I now use something called flex 2. Found it down in Georgia a couple of years ago, at a nail salon. 12.00 per bottle, also great stuff.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks you guys! Good suggestions here and I will try them. :)
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Mine were taken...Gelatin and vitamins....I believe strongly in both!!

Return to “Women's Health”