Mysterious Island

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
YZGI

Mysterious Island

Post by YZGI »

I just finished reading Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. I had never read it before and found a site on the internet with all his books that you can read for free. I remember seeing the movie when I was a kid and loved it. I recently watched it again and that is the reason I went looking for an online text of it. Well while reading it I kept waiting for the giant chicken to attack them. It doesn't happen in the book, in fact the animals on the island are all normal. I couldn't believe how much different the book was from the movie. I mean not even close. No women ever landed on the island either. It just amazed me how much different the book is to the movie.
Sheryl

Mysterious Island

Post by Sheryl »

you read a book that didn't have nudey pictures :eek::eek:

j/k :p
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
YZGI

Mysterious Island

Post by YZGI »

Sheryl;717926 wrote: you read a book that didn't have nudey pictures :eek::eek:

j/k :p
Thats another thing. I am sure they had sex in the 1800's but it's never mentioned.:-5
Sheryl

Mysterious Island

Post by Sheryl »

Oh yea they did. Or at least all those smutty romances I read had some steamy scenes. :wah:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
sunny104

Mysterious Island

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;717929 wrote: Thats another thing. I am sure they had sex in the 1800's but it's never mentioned.:-5

they only bathed like once a year back then, didn't they? Couldn't have been too much sex going on....:yh_sick :wah:
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Mysterious Island

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;717923 wrote: I just finished reading Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. I had never read it before and found a site on the internet with all his books that you can read for free. I remember seeing the movie when I was a kid and loved it. I recently watched it again and that is the reason I went looking for an online text of it. Well while reading it I kept waiting for the giant chicken to attack them. It doesn't happen in the book, in fact the animals on the island are all normal. I couldn't believe how much different the book was from the movie. I mean not even close. No women ever landed on the island either. It just amazed me how much different the book is to the movie.

I thought it was normal for the scriptwriters to totally change the plot. I mean, it wouldn't ne their work if they didn't.

If they can write Sauraman out of book three of LOTR then what else can possibly be sacred.
YZGI

Mysterious Island

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;718628 wrote: I thought it was normal for the scriptwriters to totally change the plot. I mean, it wouldn't ne their work if they didn't.

If they can write Sauraman out of book three of LOTR then what else can possibly be sacred.
Good point Bryn. Now I think I will read "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" and see if Kirk Douglass is in it.:wah:
The Rob

Mysterious Island

Post by The Rob »

That giant crab in the movie scared the beejaysus out of me when I first saw it as a kid. :eek:
chonsigirl

Mysterious Island

Post by chonsigirl »

Wait until you get to War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells..................it is very different from any movie.
The Rob

Mysterious Island

Post by The Rob »

chonsigirl;719794 wrote: Wait until you get to War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells..................it is very different from any movie.

I loved both George Pal's and Spielberg's film versions, but Wells' novel still stands as one of my favorites. I've read it many times.

Return to “The Library”