This is sad...

Discussions about your pets!
Sheryl

This is sad...

Post by Sheryl »

AMARILLO, Texas (AP) - A miniature horse given to a boy with brain cancer by the Make-A-Wish Foundation was killed by a pair of pit bulls who were found roaming in his yard, authorities said.

The 31-inch tall horse, Anniversary, was donated by the foundation to 3-year-old Christian Vasquez in late August.

Christian, who was diagnosed in January with a malignant form of brain cancer, received a pull cart, a blanket, a halter and a bridle set from the foundation on Saturday, said Jelaine Workman, executive director for the foundation's Amarillo chapter.

Two days later, Anniversary was found dead on his property in Pampa by Christian's father, Raul Vasquez. The father was nearly attacked by the dogs but managed to climb a tree and call 911 on his cell phone.

One of the dogs was captured by authorities and remains in custody at the Pampa animal pound, while the other escaped and remained on the loose, Gray County Sheriff Don Copeland said.

"I was scared to death," said Raul Vasquez, 41. "They killed Anniversary, and I thought they would kill me too."

It was unclear how the dogs entered the property, which is surrounded by a 4½-foot-high fence.

Workman said the foundation won't be able to supply a second horse but was getting calls from residents who wanted to donate money for a new one. Anniversary cost $1,300, and the foundation included free feed, training and veterinary care for a year in its gift.

"This horse was beautiful," Workman said. "It just makes me angry that people allow their dogs to run on the loose."

http://www.kvii.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=59498

I included the link, so people can also read the comments left at the end of the article. But I found this so horrible for the little boy.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

This is sickening. I don't suggest they replace the horse. If they don't know who dogs they were it could happen again.
Sheryl

This is sad...

Post by Sheryl »

my son
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

This story is upsetting to me all the way around. That man climbed a tree to save himself but didn't even try to help the poor horse and now they've given the family another horse. Did they even check to see if this family knew enough about horses to own one? Or did they just give a sick child a horse because he's dying and that was his wish? Did any of those people wanting to help even consider that stuff? And now we're teaching 3 year olds that pit bulls are mean and vicious again. Why not say the dogs were mean and vicious and leave it at that instead of making this yet another pit bull story? I don't like any of it. My aunt even raises and shows miniature horses in OK and I know she wouldn't have been stuck up a tree if something like this happened to her horse and she's in her 70s.
Sheryl

This is sad...

Post by Sheryl »

Well the horse is getting training and free vet care. So I think the people are learning as they go. And I'm willing to bet, that as long as their terminally ill kid is happy, they are willing to learn Chinese if that's what it takes!

my son
YZGI

This is sad...

Post by YZGI »

RedGlitter;713182 wrote: This story is upsetting to me all the way around. That man climbed a tree to save himself but didn't even try to help the poor horse and now they've given the family another horse. Did they even check to see if this family knew enough about horses to own one? Or did they just give a sick child a horse because he's dying and that was his wish? Did any of those people wanting to help even consider that stuff? Why And now we're teaching 3 year olds that pit bulls are mean and vicious again. not say the dogs were mean and vicious and leave it at that instead of making this yet another pit bull story? I don't like any of it. My aunt even raises and shows miniature horses in OK and I know she wouldn't have been stuck up a tree if something like this happened to her horse and she's in her 70s.
Did you consider that maybe the horse was already dead and there was nothing he could do but climb a tree and protect himself.

They checked his fence and said it was well built and couldn't figure out how the dogs got in.

The article said the boy knew that some mean dogs had attacked. It did not say the boy knew that they were Pit Bulls.

I sure don't want any 70 year old relitive of mine taking on two vicious dogs of any breed.
Mia

This is sad...

Post by Mia »

Oh that is terrible.Pitt Bulls are banned in the UK for this very reason,as their owners use them as fighting dogs and guards.I am sure some are OK,but I would not trust the breed as they have even killed or badly mauled children.
LilacDragon

This is sad...

Post by LilacDragon »

Mia;713194 wrote: Oh that is terrible.Pitt Bulls are banned in the UK for this very reason,as their owners use them as fighting dogs and guards.I am sure some are OK,but I would not trust the breed as they have even killed or badly mauled children.

If you checked all of the news paper articles from every paper across the U.S. for "pit bull" attacks - you would find that less then 1% of REGISTERED pitbulls are involved. When you take into account that a majority of dogs bred to fight are not registered - the dogs involved in attacks are a miniscule number of the breed.

Dogs kill live stock. It is a simple fact of life and anyone who farms knows this. In Michigan a couple of years ago - a pair of St. Bernards killed some cattle before they were caught and euthanized.

This is nothing more than one more case of an irresponsible dog owner allowing his/her dogs to run loose. I am willing to bet that the dogs were also unvacinated and unaltered.

As for how the dogs got into a yard with a 4 1/2 high fence - they jumped it. Duh! My pom can get over a fence that tall.
Sandi

Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

Let's all remember that this whole thing started because a little boy is dying. His dying wish was to have a pony. I believe people are doing their best here. The article mentions that the pony that was killed had a trainer who is now involved with the new pony. Sounds like he is probably well looked after by someone w/ experience. I am glad this little boy has a new pony but only under these circumstances.
KB.

This is sad...

Post by KB. »

Happylife;718971 wrote: Let's all remember that this whole thing started because a little boy is dying. His dying wish was to have a pony. I believe people are doing their best here. The article mentions that the pony that was killed had a trainer who is now involved with the new pony. Sounds like he is probably well looked after by someone w/ experience. I am glad this little boy has a new pony but only under these circumstances.

The dying little boy is second concern to a lot of folks; hell humanity in general is. I mean two pit bulls killed a minature horse and the first question raised by some was if the poor slob (sarcasm) that climbed a tree to save his own life made an attempt to tear the horse from the hungry jaws of a couple of pit bulls.
Life ain't linear.
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

Oh come off it, KB.

It's wearisome.
Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

Everybody certainly has a right to say or think what they want and I think that KB does have a point. It is true so many have lost their sense of compassion for all humanity, but I don't believe most of them are bad people...most have simply "lost their way" or are too busy in this crazy world we live in. My 5 yr old daughter struggles with a life threatening illness every day of her life. It is things like this that wakes some of us up. We slow down to smell the roses I guess. When we read stories like this boy's, we see it differently than those that are "in the rush". We realize that boy is not just some kid w/ cancer, too bad....we actually feel the love his parents feel for him and know all too well he could be one of our own babies. RedGlitter, you are wise to be skeptical of the article and what is going on w/ it...so much can be read "between the lines"...but we have to be careful about putting the facts together.
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Happylife,

Actually what annoyed me was KB's comment which appears to be in reference to me and some others valuing animal life as much as human life as if there's somehow something wrong with that. I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do about that but I do get tired having to defend my stance on it all the time.

:)
mikeinie

This is sad...

Post by mikeinie »

Happylife;719114 wrote: Everybody certainly has a right to say or think what they want and I think that KB does have a point. It is true so many have lost their sense of compassion for all humanity, but I don't believe most of them are bad people...most have simply "lost their way" or are too busy in this crazy world we live in. My 5 yr old daughter struggles with a life threatening illness every day of her life. It is things like this that wakes some of us up. We slow down to smell the roses I guess. When we read stories like this boy's, we see it differently than those that are "in the rush". We realize that boy is not just some kid w/ cancer, too bad....we actually feel the love his parents feel for him and know all too well he could be one of our own babies. RedGlitter, you are wise to be skeptical of the article and what is going on w/ it...so much can be read "between the lines"...but we have to be careful about putting the facts together.

Happylife, I don’t believe we have met. Sorry to hear of your daughter’s struggle, I hope that she wins the battle whatever it is she is fighting.

Best Wishes, Mike
Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

Thankyou for your compassion Mike. My little girl has Type 1 Diabetes for which there is no cure. Unlike Type 1 there is no chance for reversal of the disease. After 4,000 insulin shots, she CHOSE an insulin pump at age 4. Children with type 1 would die w/in days or weeks w/out insulin. She is a HUGE trooper though! RedGlitter I am a HUGE animal lover myself. What happened to that poor horse was sick and I agree --I do love animals AS MUCH as humans! Currently I own 2 guinea piggies, 2 pug dogs and 2 lizards. OH- and 1 water frog!
Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

ps....I love animals so much, I once had a cast put on a guinea pigs leg! Apparently when I bought her the leg had healed from a previous break and about a week after having her the leg re-broke. My vet could tell by xrays that it had healed improperly the first time. I had 2 choices--let this keep happening to this poor little creature or spend over $300 to cast it and do things right! So we picked a hot pink cast and when I got pulled over speeding to one of her follow up checkups, the officer gasped and said he'd never seen anything like it!! I think he thought I was a nut! Anyway, it got me out of the ticket! LOL
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

Guinea pigs are so cute, Happylife. I've never had one but I think they're nice animals. I had a pug long ago too. :)

I hope I'm not out of line to ask but I was wondering if you could kind of explain how those insulin pumps work? I have Type 2 diabetes and I take the injections and pills myself. I hear a lot about this pump but I don't understand, is it a permanently placed device? Is it cumbersome or painful? If you'd rather not talk about it, I will certainly understand, again I hope you won't mind my asking. Thanks.
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

Happylife;719132 wrote: ps....I love animals so much, I once had a cast put on a guinea pigs leg! Apparently when I bought her the leg had healed from a previous break and about a week after having her the leg re-broke. My vet could tell by xrays that it had healed improperly the first time. I had 2 choices--let this keep happening to this poor little creature or spend over $300 to cast it and do things right! So we picked a hot pink cast and when I got pulled over speeding to one of her follow up checkups, the officer gasped and said he'd never seen anything like it!! I think he thought I was a nut! Anyway, it got me out of the ticket! LOL

Awww.... :) I can just picture the little pig with a tiny pink cast on!

That's great that you did that. I know a lot of people wouldn't. I'm glad you did. :-6
Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

No it doesn't bother me that you ask RedGlitter! Not at all...I like to tell people about it because my daughter's quality of life has improved so much since going on the pump. Basically the pump holds a little insulin vial in it w/ tubing going to a catheter that goes into my daughter's belly. The catheter/insulin need to be changed every 2-3 days to prevent infection and tissue damage at the site. The pump is set to deliver a slow drip of insulin continuously/24hrs....and then whenever she eats we manually deliver a dose by pushing buttons. Her dose is a half unit for every 15 grams of carbs...which is a tiny dose. Our target range is to keep her in the 150 to 200 range right now...but being on an insulin pump is not a cure...we still hit 300's easily every day...and you have to watch for lows especially at night. The thing is, she was diagnosed w/ diabetes at 10 months of age. Type 1 is an auto-immune disorder which is why it is irreversable...her immune symtem killed all her insulin producing cells in her pancreas. So since 10 months of age, she has had over 4,000 shots. If you want to see her pump go to Animas.com She has the 2020 style...feel free to ask me anything, I can probably help or know something about diabetes...
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you, Happylife. I will go look at that pump right now. I don't think it would be for me, but I'm definitely curious about it. Thank you for explaining that!
Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

OOPS!! Sorry about giving you wrong link... go to Animascorp instead...
Sheryl

This is sad...

Post by Sheryl »

Happylife;719350 wrote: No it doesn't bother me that you ask RedGlitter! Not at all...I like to tell people about it because my daughter's quality of life has improved so much since going on the pump. Basically the pump holds a little insulin vial in it w/ tubing going to a catheter that goes into my daughter's belly. The catheter/insulin need to be changed every 2-3 days to prevent infection and tissue damage at the site. The pump is set to deliver a slow drip of insulin continuously/24hrs....and then whenever she eats we manually deliver a dose by pushing buttons. Her dose is a half unit for every 15 grams of carbs...which is a tiny dose. Our target range is to keep her in the 150 to 200 range right now...but being on an insulin pump is not a cure...we still hit 300's easily every day...and you have to watch for lows especially at night. The thing is, she was diagnosed w/ diabetes at 10 months of age. Type 1 is an auto-immune disorder which is why it is irreversable...her immune symtem killed all her insulin producing cells in her pancreas. So since 10 months of age, she has had over 4,000 shots. If you want to see her pump go to Animas.com She has the 2020 style...feel free to ask me anything, I can probably help or know something about diabetes...

My best friend's little girl was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 3. It was horrible, when they took her to doctor to figure out what was wrong, her blood sugar was over a thousand. She was extremely close to a coma. Tana is 7 now, and on an insulin pump. She's doing good, and they are teaching her how to dial in her carbs herself.

my son
RedGlitter

This is sad...

Post by RedGlitter »

Sheryl;719358 wrote: her blood sugar was over a thousand.

Holy crap!!! :yh_hypno Mine was about 560 and they were concerned, but 1000+?!! Good grief.
Sheryl

This is sad...

Post by Sheryl »

She was really bad. She had taken Tana to see several doctors, and they wouldn't do the blood work. Finally took her to ER and told them she might of gotten into poison, then they did freaking blood work. :-5

my son
Happylife

This is sad...

Post by Happylife »

Yes my little Mandy was only ten months old and the flu was going around so I figured she had it when she began throwing up. 3 days later in the ER they said her blood sugar was over 750...the test didn't register over that...and they actually airlifted her unconcious to our children's hospital. The scariest part about it was that hospital was less than 15 miles away! I was so freaked out at the time I didn't realize it but they later told me they airlifted her because they didn't think she was going to make it (the 25 min drive)...her helicopter got her to the ICU at Childrens in 8 mins. Thank God.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”