Do you believe in fairies?

Discuss the metaphysical.
koan

Post by koan »

The most infamous picture of fairies was proven to be a hoax, though some believe that the woman who recanted her story was bribed (we'll leave that for a conspiracy thread). If you believe in fairies, what do you think they are/look like?
beyelzu

Post by beyelzu »

I go on the record as saying, no I do not believe in fairies, but it would be cool if they existed.
koan

Post by koan »

beyelzu wrote: I go on the record as saying, no I do not believe in fairies, but it would be cool if they existed.

Very cool. I like to imagine them as mischeivious little gnome faced brats that jump from flower to flower scaring the bugs away. I see Brian Froud artwork everywhere.
spot

Post by spot »

Good Lord, Koan, what do you think you're doing - did Tinkerbell never tell you, every time you say you dont believe in fairies, a fairy dies?

Come on, children, help get Tinkerbell back, clap and tell her you believe!

Dear oh dear.

Arthur Rackham was the illustrator who turned fairies from fey weird aspects of fiction into fey weird aspects of psychoanalysis. The fairy folk were never twee children with wings until he started to make a living with them.

Tam Lin is the man to ask about fairies. He got away, but he had to run fast.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh - and what do they look like? There's a photo of Ian Anderson kitted out like a fairy on Jethro Tull's "Broadsword and the Beast" CD cover. That's what fairies look like.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

there's a LOT of fairies in key west.
spot

Post by spot »

Announcer: And now, the men of the Second Armored Division with their famous close order swanning about.

Sergeant: Squad... Camp it up!

Soldiers: Ooh get her! Whoops, I've got your number ducky, you couldn't afford me dear, two three. I'll scratch your eyes out! Don't come the Brigadier bit with us dear, we all know where you've been, you military fairy. Two, three, one, two, three, four, five, six. Whoops! Don't look now girls, the man has just minced in with that jolly colour Sergeant, two three. OOOOH!

(Monty Python's Flying Circus, December 1, 1971)

Sorry, but Lady Cop started it.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

i'm interested in that photo that turned out to be a hoax.

a quick google came up with this for a photo of a fairy:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... /view.html

heeeeeeeeeere fairy fairy fairy fairy! good fairy! roll over! roll over!

and remarkably enough, the link is not to an 'adult resource'.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

The Fairies of County Kerry Southern Ireland are billionaires today. All them Yanks have being believing in them since the early 1930s. Well, it was good for tourism:D
spot

Post by spot »

To inform the thread regarding Koan's reference to hoax photos, the pictures can be seen at http://www.randi.org/library/cottingley/index.html together with a little background information.
abbey

Post by abbey »

acydikeen wrote: Sorry, but this thread seems a tad derogatory :-5Why do you think it's a "a tad derogatory"??

Who's being belittled, the fairies!!
koan

Post by koan »

abbey wrote: Why do you think it's a "a tad derogatory"??

Who's being belittled, the fairies!!
:wah:

I suppose if the concern is believing in the "energy" of fairies then I have to admit to a degree of belief. The image of fairies, however, is equivalent in my mind to picturing God as a white guy with a long beard sitting on a cloud in his throne.

The hoax photo refered to was the Cottingley photo linked in spot's reply. (thanks). Of interest, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle investigated the photos and published them in Strand magazine, Christmas 1922, having become convinced that they were authentic.
abbey

Post by abbey »

The Cottingley fairies are just how i always imagine fairies to look, small and delicate with gossamer wings, leaving a trail of fairy dust. :yh_smiley
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

No, I do not believe in fairies, but I too have seen several photos - they usually look like very small people, often dressed in white, and with wings, holding wands - at least that`s what I see after the 12th pint!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

this artist does gorgeous fairy art(and mermaids too)...........Fairy Art Gallery: Art by David Delamare Fairy Art by fine artist and illustrator David Delamare.-
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

acydikeen wrote: My concern is the lack of a basic decent attitude towards the beliefs of others within the "Modern and Aincient" paths forum..

Who are we to judge those that do believe in them?

Compared to the belief that some omnipresent, omnipotent being really created and rules mankind, I think its more believable that there may be some small folk with wings at the bottom of the garden :p

now this is a fairy.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I don't know if I believe or disbelieve but my father use to take me into the gardens and tell me stories about fairies so I believed whole-heartedly as a child. I even thought I saw a few. It wasn't until later that I began to doubt. I love the idea and I think it is special and will do the same with my own children. Fairies are fascinating to say the least!
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

i believe
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
Majenta

Post by Majenta »

I'd like to believe in faeries (subtly different to fairies ;) ) as being mischevious little creatures that live on the moors etc - I'm not convinced little people with wings exist although I'd love to be one... so much so that I had an 'enchanted castle' themed 21st birthday just so I could pretend to be! :wah:

many a time have I wistfully gazed on these fairy wings... http://www.fairylove.com/
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

That is why I love going to the Renaissance festival. They have all types of mystical stuff including fairy wings, fairy magic powder, etc... and watching the kids running around behaving like fairies in their little costumes are so cute! Fairies are the best!
readingsbyrachel

Post by readingsbyrachel »

no I do not believe in fairies.

Return to “Magic Mystery”