How hard is it to install a body kit?

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
beautiful_soul

Post by beautiful_soul »

I'm looking into buying the complete Saleen body kit for the 2005 Mustang GT. I would like to know how hard this would be to put on. I would have emailed them but none of there emails work *sigh*. Also I have a few qurestions, if you guys can answer hem.

1). Would it fit the '06 Mustang GT?

2). Is the complete kit selling for $1,600 on there site the real deal to make my Mustang look like a true Saleen Mustang?

Thanks for your help.
trashcanman

Post by trashcanman »

If your mechanicly inclined and have a good set of tools putting on a body kit is do- able .

I personaly have never done one, but im sure it would take at least a full weekend of hard work and help from a buddy or two.

I'm sure your aware that a Saleen Mustang is much more than a body kit. There is suspension and engine mods, along with a custom interior.

If you go threw with it good luck, wrenching on cars can be fun and a huge pain in the butt at times :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

beautiful_soul;717612 wrote: I'm looking into buying the complete Saleen body kit for the 2005 Mustang GT. I would like to know how hard this would be to put on. I would have emailed them but none of there emails work *sigh*. Also I have a few qurestions, if you guys can answer hem.

1). Would it fit the '06 Mustang GT?

2). Is the complete kit selling for $1,600 on there site the real deal to make my Mustang look like a true Saleen Mustang?

Thanks for your help.

It appears to be the same kit for the 2005 and 2006 models so you should be OK.

One extra that needs to be done is fitting a center exit exhaust system (according to Speedworx).

If you look on the Saleem site you can download a 58 page instalation manual that shows the work to be done. The tools list does not include anything out of the ordinary. The parts appear to be screwed, rivited and taped into place with no welding required.

A lot of the panels are bolted on. It would be worth going round your car checking the bolts that have to be removed to make sure that they're not rusted in place - if any of them sheer then it's a pain drilling them out and re-tapping. Given that it's a 2006 car you should be OK on that front but it's best to check.

There's also the question of painting - they reccomend doing that before fitting but if you do that you need time to let the paint fully harden to reduce the risk if scratching during the fitting process. My spraying scills are not up to the task so I'd have to get that bit done professionally.

Apart from that it's time, patience and skinned knuckles.

Best of luck if you go ahead with it.

Return to “General Chit Chat”