Tailgaters

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
Fibonacci

Tailgaters

Post by Fibonacci »

You know what i mean right?

That special breed of person who has to be everywhere yesterday?

My Mom, Dad and brother just move out of their way when they ride their bumpers, but not me.

I make it my mission for the day to slow them down.

I slow down to 5 below the posted speed limit, and I match their every move.

They go left, I go left. They go right, I go right.

How do you handle 'em?
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Bryn Mawr

Tailgaters

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Fibonacci;712422 wrote: You know what i mean right?

My Mom, Dad and brother just move out of their way when they ride their bumpers, but not me.

How do you handle 'em?

I start by flashing my brake lights at them to give them the idea I'm unpredictable then the closer they get to my exhaust pipe the slower I go.

Actively blocking them by moving lane to lane would be a no-no here - our lane discipline is different from your freeways.
gmc

Tailgaters

Post by gmc »

posted by fibonacci

You know what i mean right?

How do you handle 'em?

Depends, on a motorway I either slow to make the point if traffic is too heavy for me to get out the way otherwise I pull in and let them pass. I've got better things to do than get worked up about some twit behind me, let them smack in to the back of someone else and almost invariably they do sooner or later.

On the either hand, see those people that hog the overtaking lane on the motorway and just won't pull over even when the inner lane is empty or because there is a car a mile ahead they think they are catching up even though they are doing the same speed. :mad: People like that really **** me off.

Sorry fibonacci people like you should be taken up a dark alley and given extra driving lessons and taught not to be such a pillock. Two pillocks don't make things better.
Lady G

Tailgaters

Post by Lady G »

Was gonna answer but am afraid of also being called a pillock.........................

Oh well, guess that is what I am then coz if you tailgate me and I truly cannot move I will slam on my brakes and if you smash into the back of me then your insurance HAS to pay for my repairs AND your premium goes waaaaay up.

Otherwise if one has fast enough reflexes not to crash into me, i will just show you my middle finger and IF I feel like pulling in once a space is available, I will, if not then OHHHHHHH WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

:driving:
Uncle Kram

Tailgaters

Post by Uncle Kram »

If they wanna be up my arse that much, the very least I expect would be a kiss first :rolleyes:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
gmc

Tailgaters

Post by gmc »

Lady G;712460 wrote: Was gonna answer but am afraid of also being called a pillock.........................

Oh well, guess that is what I am then coz if you tailgate me and I truly cannot move I will slam on my brakes and if you smash into the back of me then your insurance HAS to pay for my repairs AND your premium goes waaaaay up.

Otherwise if one has fast enough reflexes not to crash into me, i will just show you my middle finger and IF I feel like pulling in once a space is available, I will, if not then OHHHHHHH WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

:driving:

Personally i don't tailgate but I hate it when someone does it to me just as much as you -see above. Having someone smash into to the back of me may be their fault but you still have to wait for the recovery then sue for loss of earnings etc etc-age of my car and it's mileage it would probably be written off and you NEVER get what a car is really worth to you. How long would you have to be without your car before it was causing a major inconvenience? In a crowded motorway you would probably be in a multi car pile up just to round up a perfect day.

Just because someone behaves like a pillock why do you have to do the same? I've seen enough tail end smashes not to be in one if I can avoid it. Whiplash hurts.

Think about it -if someone tries to antagonise you who is the one that is responsible for how you react- you or them? Choose not to let some mental midget annoy you. What is the point in having an accident because someone else wants to be an idiot?

I detest people that hog the overtaking lane when there is no reason for them to be there. I don't tailgate because it's a stupid thing to do
sunny104

Tailgaters

Post by sunny104 »

I HATE :-5 when people tailgate especially when my kids are in the car!! Do these people realize they are just a few feet away from my children?? Arrgh!

ahem, anyway....I'll just slow down or get out of the way if they don't move first. It's my responsibility to be as safe as possible on the road no matter what anyone else is doing.
minks

Tailgaters

Post by minks »

:lips: Ummm I flip them the bird :lips: Is that so wrong???:thinking:
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
YZGI

Tailgaters

Post by YZGI »

No one can ever catch up to me so they can't tailgate.

Actually I don't get too excited. Just find a way to get out of their way and relax.
Bryn Mawr

Tailgaters

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;712439 wrote: posted by fibonacci

Depends, on a motorway I either slow to make the point if traffic is too heavy for me to get out the way otherwise I pull in and let them pass. I've got better things to do than get worked up about some twit behind me, let them smack in to the back of someone else and almost invariably they do sooner or later.

On the either hand, see those people that hog the overtaking lane on the motorway and just won't pull over even when the inner lane is empty or because there is a car a mile ahead they think they are catching up even though they are doing the same speed. :mad: People like that really **** me off.

Sorry fibonacci people like you should be taken up a dark alley and given extra driving lessons and taught not to be such a pillock. Two pillocks don't make things better.

You mean the OLOCs - the fully paid up members of the Outside Lane Owners Club. Can't stand the bastards, they're as selfish as the day is long. (For our American members - UK driving rules require drivers to use the leftmost lane available. The outside lane in not the fast lane it's the overtaking lane and it is illegal to overtake to the left.)

Nearly as bad are the MLOCs who force everyone else into the outside lane to get round them.
gmc

Tailgaters

Post by gmc »

posted bt byrn mawr

Nearly as bad are the MLOCs who force everyone else into the outside lane to get round them

Even the most even tempered lorry driver can get annoyed at them. The temptation to tailgate them must be rather hard to resist sometimes.
Lon

Tailgaters

Post by Lon »

Fibonacci;712422 wrote: You know what i mean right?

How do you handle 'em?

If I am driving an old vehicle, I slam on my brakes and let them rear end me. Then I sue them for WHIPLASH INJURIES.:wah:
Kathy Ellen

Tailgaters

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Honestly, I stopped being an f***en ******* quite a few years ago when I had a bad experience with someone who tailgated me. I flipped him the bird because I was so angry with him, and that was my big mistake.

I was driving down the NJ Parkway on a wonderful sunny day going "down to the Jersey Shore" when all of a sudden.....out of nowhere came this jerk doing a million miles an hour....he was so close to me that I could see his face and a scar on his forehead. I could not pull over to let him by, due to the volume of traffic, and he went ballistic. Started giving me such obscene, disgusting gestures and kept upping the speed of his car. I honestly thought I was going to die in an accident. After harassing me for at least an hour, he finally pulled away to the other lane and sped away.

I stopped at the next service station for a cup of joe to steady my nerves. Honestly, I was shaking like a leaf and so thankful to be alive. Well, and lo and behold...who was also on the coffee line but "your man...... " We locked eyes and I just turned away as though I didn't know him. He bought his coffee and left.

And then I followed him out quietly, wrote down his licence plate # and called the police. Had to appear in court, but the bastard got a healthy fine, had to go to anger management, and had a year's probation.

And that's why I now chill out and don't flip the bird.
watermark

Tailgaters

Post by watermark »

People can get so worked up about their driving mishaps. Personally I just try to watch ahead of me and look through the rearview mirror on the freeway for those emptyheaded drivers who can't watch for slowdowns. Most of the time driving is fair to calm. Sometimes driving is a pain in the neck. I don't like those driving tactics people take where they speed along twice what I'm going yet I meet them up at the light. Tortoise and hare story going on. Nothing is gained by going fast in traffic. I sort of always liked the idea of the autoban. Wish amercia could incorporate this idea, of course not along highway 101. (note: when I can copy and paste I will provide a picture of this highway 101-you'd be crazy to think this could be the autoban :D)

E
Nomad

Tailgaters

Post by Nomad »

I keep doing what Im doing and make sure they see me flip the night mirror so I cant see them. I drive for a living, thats how I pay my mortgage. I need to keep my license clean and free of tickets, not to mention I dont feel like wasting $100.00 on the fine.

One of theses days Id like to get out of my car and explain this to the offending jackass. Tell them my family wants me home safe and you are jeapordizing my chances.

Bastards.
I AM AWESOME MAN
sunny104

Tailgaters

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;714501 wrote: I keep doing what Im doing and make sure they see me flip the night mirror so I cant see them. I drive for a living, thats how I pay my mortgage. I need to keep my license clean and free of tickets, not to mention I dont feel like wasting $100.00 on the fine.

One of theses days Id like to get out of my car and explain this to the offending jackass. Tell them my family wants me home safe and you are jeapordizing my chances.

Bastards.

aha! Now we finally know what you do for a living!! :D :wah:

Nomad

Tailgaters

Post by Nomad »

sunny104;714597 wrote: aha! Now we finally know what you do for a living!! :D :wah:

Im also a mad scientist/ninja.
I AM AWESOME MAN
gmc

Tailgaters

Post by gmc »

Nomad;714501 wrote: I keep doing what Im doing and make sure they see me flip the night mirror so I cant see them. I drive for a living, thats how I pay my mortgage. I need to keep my license clean and free of tickets, not to mention I dont feel like wasting $100.00 on the fine.

Bastards.

Are you a white van man or a big trucker?:D

Return to “General Chit Chat”