Grand Jury Indicts Runaway Bride

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

......ATLANTA — So-called runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks was indicted Wednesday on felony and misdemeanor charges, Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter announced.

Wilbanks was indicted on one count of making false statements, a felony, and one count of falsely reporting a crime, a misdemeanor, the district attorney said.

The penalty for the felony charge is 1 to 5 years behind bars; the misdemeanor carries a sentence of up to 12 months in confinement, according to Porter.

Wilbanks disappeared days before her 600-guest wedding, led police and the community on a wild goose chase and initially lied and said she'd been kidnapped and raped.

"We believe that the grand jury made the appropriate decision," Porter said Wednesday in a news conference. "At some point you just can't lie to the police."

The district attorney said he didn't know where Wilbanks was currently staying. Her lawyer, Lydia Sartain , is out of town until after the Memorial Day holiday, and her office voicemail says she isn't making any statements about the case.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Hi Susie...they have to try her first. i don't think she'll ever do prison time. she's in the looney bin, which will be her defense.
Jives

Post by Jives »

Am I missing out on some fad here? Why is everyone posting in all bold?

Well....I think her rich family needs to reimburse the taxpayers of the city for the thousands they spent on the search. If my tax money got wasted that way, I'd want it back.

But she's a loon all right. No jail time.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i like posting in bold Jives! LOL......people perhaps do not understand police resources and monies are limited. the budget is for the entire fiscal year. that dept. spent $60,000. on her lying butt. the townspeople are rightfully angry, because they have to recover those funds somehow. further, making a false police report wastes resources as well. if she is convicted on the misdemeanor she'll do community service. but because she has priors for shoplifting, she could be in trouble. if she's convicted on the felony, she may well get time. i suspect a deal will be cut before it goes to trial.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I think she DOES deserve jail time. Not a nice cushy psycho ward. Sounds like a spoiled rich brat craving attention. Rich parents? I hope they have plans on paying back all the money spent on their lying, bubble-head of a daughter. Plus interest.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Agnes

Post by Agnes »

BabyRider wrote: I think she DOES deserve jail time. Not a nice cushy psycho ward. Sounds like a spoiled rich brat craving attention. Rich parents? I hope they have plans on paying back all the money spent on their lying, bubble-head of a daughter. Plus interest.

Jennifer needs to be hospitalized for an eating disorder. her appearance is that of a starving woman. i believe they have money, so who cares about any costs. to call her a bubble head is rather cruel. there is now a barbie doll like figure being produced of her. :-6
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

You`re probably right, but I just get fed up with convicted criminals using every excuse under the sun as to why they shouldn`t be jailed. Somebody in the UK has apparently used the defence that "as EVIL genes are inherited, there`s nothing I could do about it, so don`t blame me!"
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Agnes wrote: to call her a bubble head is rather cruel.
I call 'em like I see 'em.

there is now a barbie doll like figure being produced of her.

I can't think of anything more fitting... :yh_eyerol
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

flopstock wrote: dip stick, idiot, sht for brains, insult to barbies every!...doesn't really matter what you call her, she is an insult and embarrassment to the female gender.

If we keep letting women get away with doing stupid stuff, and excuse it because they are female and emotional, then the world feels justified in limiting us, because we are female and emotional.

Jennifers parents needed to be rotten enough to have spanked her ass when she was little and pulling stunts. Self esteem be damned.:yh_clap :yh_clap

If we had a smiley for a standing ovation, you'd get 2 of 'em, flop. Bravo.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

everyone i ever arrested claims to be "sick". what happened to personal responsibility? i think a person knows when it's wrong to rob the 7-11, and their childhood be damned. i think the girl i know who beat her grandma to death with a hammer knew it probably was not a nice thing to do. or the female i know who shot her twin 4 year old sons may have had a clue doctor spock would not approve. i am tired of the sick excuse, and so are most people. i am going out tonight with my weapons and stick up the walmart, then i will say it's because i had a heart attack in december and there is a shortage of oxygen to my brain.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

lady cop wrote: everyone i ever arrested claims to be "sick". what happened to personal responsibility? i think a person knows when it's wrong to rob the 7-11, and their childhood be damned. i think the girl i know who beat her grandma to death with a hammer knew it probably was not a nice thing to do. or the female i know who shot her twin 4 year old sons may have had a clue doctor spock would not approve. i am tired of the sick excuse, and so are most people. i am going out tonight with my weapons and stick up the walmart, then i will say it's because i had a heart attack in december and there is a shortage of oxygen to my brain. Another standing ovation for you, LC.

Hey, does that mean I can say I held up my bank because exhaust fumes from my bike made me loopy??!
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

BabyRider wrote: Another standing ovation for you, LC.

Hey, does that mean I can say I held up my bank because exhaust fumes from my bike made me loopy??!yep...you know where to send the $$$$$$$$$ :D
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Susie, I think LC's point is just that. It's NOT a mental illness, and any excuse to try to say it is, is ludicrous. There's cold feet, and then there's having an entire state out searching for you and then flat-out bald-faced lying about what happened to you.

There's also "just" lying to your parents or your husband. Then there's "just" lying to the cops. A HUGE no-no.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

tmbsgrl wrote: Hi LC,

The people you mentioned DESERVE jail time even the death sentence. Jennifer didn't kill anyone. She just lied. I think the people that you mentioned knew what they were doing. I hope they don't get off easy.. Like I said I think her family needs pay for the cost of the search. Since when is having cold feet a mental illness? she committed a crime. period. why shouldn't she be indicted? she was arrested for shoplifting a couple times too, is that not a crime? she may be stupid and a loon, but she described in great detail the man and woman who "raped" her. had all the cops in NM out looking for them. had nothing to do with cold feet. she's a spoiled brat who got away with felony theft once before.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

well she was indicted, but that does not mean she will go to trial. i do think there will be a deal and she'll skate again. there is no doubt in my mind her lawyer saw this coming and told her to check into the mental ward as a defense ploy. she disgusts me, a lot of police resources were wasted on her lies.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

the appropriate 'punishment' would be full reimbursement to all involved agencies for their efforts. since the family is indeed very wealthy - how much was the wedding alleged to be costing, something like $600,000 ? - then it should not be difficult.

prison time would accomplish nothing. but as lc suggests, i think a deal will more than likely be struck before trial.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm glad this spoiled brat is being charged. She committed a crime plane and simple. All parties should be reimbursed, and maybe a little time behind bars would make her remember her mistake. :-5

So what if she is crazy as a bed bug.

She wasn't all that crazy to come up with the plan, and the lies that got her across the country... NAH!! she got caught, she lied to LE, and guess what she will have to pay for her mistake. what a concept you break the law and you are convicted.. geeee makes sense to me. :yh_shame :yh_shame
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

the one thing that could hang her high is the shoplifting, two separate instances/arrests, one was $1700. worth of stuff, not candy bars. the judge can, IF HE/SHE WANTS TO, declare her an habitual offender and incarcerate her. we shall see if money walks.
LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Oh boy, I thought this was over, LOL. My position, again! She should have to pay for all efforts by law enforcement after she made the false report. She should be convicted of making a false report and have to comply with any court ordered penalties. However I don’t believe she should be held liable for the search efforts prior to the false report she made. We can not just adjust the time line of events and hold her responsible for all that happened. Hey, Lady Cop, didn’t there use to be a time period before they would even start looking for a missing adult? Or has that changed? I just don’t agree that she broke any law by just taking off. Irresponsible, at the very least. But not illegal.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Hi LWR...i just KNEW you'd come over here! LOL--- and we are not having this discussion again!:) noooooooo!!! yes, with adults there is a 24 hour waiting period before a missing person report is filed. she was indicted for the false LE report after she was "found". not for what she did prior.
LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Well I guess Lady Cop told me, LOL.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

LWR VENTURES wrote: Well I guess Lady Cop told me, LOL.i enjoy discussing with you!

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Arrest Warrant Issued For Runaway Bride

Officials Ask She Turn Herself In After Treatment

POSTED: 1:45 pm EDT May 27, 2005

UPDATED: 2:03 pm EDT May 27, 2005

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- Officials in Georgia have issued a warrant for runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks, but the local prosecutor says he'll wait until she's completed mental health treatment before asking her to turn herself in.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0525/4531353_200X150.jpg[/img]"]

Jennifer Wilbanks

Video: Wilbanks Faces Criminal Charges

Wilbanks was indicted this week on a felony charge of making a false statement, and a misdemeanor count of making a false police report. The charges come a month after she disappeared from her home in Duluth, Ga., just days before her planned wedding. A massive search followed.

The charges stem from her initial claim that she had been kidnapped and raped, a story she later recanted.

The district attorney said he won't be expecting to hear from Wilbanks until next week. But, he added, she's free to walk into jail tonight and say, "'I'm Jennifer Wilbanks, book me.'" .........yeah, sure she will.

Return to “Crimes Trials”