Why we shoot people with knives

Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

I'm still laughing my ass off, Dude...cause you don't have a clue what your talking about with the gun lobbys...I've been a member of the NRA for as long as I can remember and I have watched the decline of Gun Rights in several countries around the world. I follow it very closely because I won't let it happen in my Country...I own many weapons used for hunting, target shooting and personal protection. In many cases, the police can not respond fast enough during an emergency to save lives, so it falls to the people that are the victims or bystanders. What do YOU do in your country? Hand it over to them or run for your life?



Violent crime has been climbing ever since. Last December, London's Evening Standard reported that armed crime, with banned handguns the weapon of choice, was "rocketing." In the two years following the 1997 handgun ban, the use of handguns in crime rose by 40 percent, and the upward trend has continued. From April to November 2001, the number of people robbed at gunpoint in London rose 53 percent......

In the two years since Dan Rather was so roundly rebuked, violence in England has gotten markedly worse. Over the course of a few days in the summer of 2001, gun-toting men burst into an English court and freed two defendants; a shooting outside a London nightclub left five women and three men wounded; and two men were machine-gunned to death in a residential neighborhood of north London. And on New Year's Day this year a 19-year-old girl walking on a main street in east London was shot in the head by a thief who wanted her mobile phone. London police are now looking to New York City police for advice.

None of this was supposed to happen in the country whose stringent gun laws and 1997 ban on handguns have been hailed as the "gold standard" of gun control. For the better part of a century, British governments have pursued a strategy for domestic safety that a 1992 Economist article characterized as requiring "a restraint on personal liberty that seems, in most civilised countries, essential to the happiness of others," a policy the magazine found at odds with "America's Vigilante Values." The safety of English people has been staked on the thesis that fewer private guns means less crime. The government believes that any weapons in the hands of men and women, however law-abiding, pose a danger, and that disarming them lessens the chance that criminals will get or use weapons.

The results -- the toughest firearm restrictions of any democracy -- are credited by the world's gun control advocates with producing a low rate of violent crime. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell reflected this conventional wisdom when, in a 1988 speech to the American Bar Association, he attributed England's low rates of violent crime to the fact that "private ownership of guns is strictly controlled."
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

I need 15 post's to post an URL to this Article...But it is well worth the read...;)

In reality, the English approach has not re-duced violent crime. Instead it has left law-abiding citizens at the mercy of criminals who are confident that their victims have neither the means nor the legal right to resist them. Imitating this model would be a public safety disaster for the United States.
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

Here's the Article for you...



http://www.reason.com/news/show/28582.html
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15912
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Skyhawk691;670056 wrote: I'm still laughing my ass off, Dude...cause you don't have a clue what your talking about with the gun lobbys...




and you have no clue about conditions in England - if in doubt insult the other poster is not a tactic much appreciated here.
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

Bryn Mawr;670072 wrote: and you have no clue about conditions in England - if in doubt insult the other poster is not a tactic much appreciated here.


Then don't get snide with me either...I give what I get...;)
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Accountable »

I miss Arnold.
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15912
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Skyhawk691;669386 wrote: What a crock of BS....Like the NRA has any influence in a country that has already outlawed guns....hahahaha what a JOKE!!! LMFAO!!!:wah::wah:


Skyhawk691;670076 wrote: Then don't get snide with me either...I give what I get...;)


No - you started this without provocation.

As I said at the time, if you have a point then make it - taking the p!ss because you have no point is not going to get you anywhere
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by gmc »

Skyhawk691;670056 wrote: I'm still laughing my ass off, Dude...cause you don't have a clue what your talking about with the gun lobbys...I've been a member of the NRA for as long as I can remember and I have watched the decline of Gun Rights in several countries around the world. I follow it very closely because I won't let it happen in my Country...I own many weapons used for hunting, target shooting and personal protection. In many cases, the police can not respond fast enough during an emergency to save lives, so it falls to the people that are the victims or bystanders. What do YOU do in your country? Hand it over to them or run for your life?



Violent crime has been climbing ever since. Last December, London's Evening Standard reported that armed crime, with banned handguns the weapon of choice, was "rocketing." In the two years following the 1997 handgun ban, the use of handguns in crime rose by 40 percent, and the upward trend has continued. From April to November 2001, the number of people robbed at gunpoint in London rose 53 percent......

In the two years since Dan Rather was so roundly rebuked, violence in England has gotten markedly worse. Over the course of a few days in the summer of 2001, gun-toting men burst into an English court and freed two defendants; a shooting outside a London nightclub left five women and three men wounded; and two men were machine-gunned to death in a residential neighborhood of north London. And on New Year's Day this year a 19-year-old girl walking on a main street in east London was shot in the head by a thief who wanted her mobile phone. London police are now looking to New York City police for advice.

None of this was supposed to happen in the country whose stringent gun laws and 1997 ban on handguns have been hailed as the "gold standard" of gun control. For the better part of a century, British governments have pursued a strategy for domestic safety that a 1992 Economist article characterized as requiring "a restraint on personal liberty that seems, in most civilised countries, essential to the happiness of others," a policy the magazine found at odds with "America's Vigilante Values." The safety of English people has been staked on the thesis that fewer private guns means less crime. The government believes that any weapons in the hands of men and women, however law-abiding, pose a danger, and that disarming them lessens the chance that criminals will get or use weapons.

The results -- the toughest firearm restrictions of any democracy -- are credited by the world's gun control advocates with producing a low rate of violent crime. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell reflected this conventional wisdom when, in a 1988 speech to the American Bar Association, he attributed England's low rates of violent crime to the fact that "private ownership of guns is strictly controlled."


I'm still laughing my ass off, Dude...cause you don't have a clue what your talking about with the gun lobbys...I've been a member of the NRA for as long as I can remember and I have watched the decline of Gun Rights in several countries around the world. I follow it very closely because I won't let it happen in my Country...I own many weapons used for hunting, target shooting and personal protection. In many cases, the police can not respond fast enough during an emergency to save lives, so it falls to the people that are the victims or bystanders. What do YOU do in your country? Hand it over to them or run for your life?




Don't have time for a more detailed response and it's probably a wast of time anyway. Actually the first response that comes to mind is bollocks. British slang that perhaps loses in translation. Very clearly know very little about conditions in the UK. One of the things posters with your outlook seem unable to understand is hat our nasty government did not sneakily take away our right to defend ourselves. the gun ban had overwhelming public support. It was brought in because that public demand could not be ignored.

I live in a country where carrying a knife is a criminal offence (not England, they have different legal system) . Is there a public outcry? Yes there is but it's for the little shits to be given tougher sentences. There is also public demand for the sale of air guns to be banned. The UK is very violent nation we don't want to make things easy for criminals nor are we frightened because the little sods might have guns or feel the need to arm ourselves as a consequence.

We also have a jury system in this country-indeed I think the american system is modelled on it. The Tony martin case is often cited, in reality it was a jury of his peers that decided he was guilty of using excessive force not some judge determined to keep the people unarmed in a fascist police state. The same with the other cases, not without digging out the actual cases it is probably the same, jury trials and jury deciding on the guilt or otherwise. five cases spanning thirty years is hardly a convincing argument anyway.

You have a particular problem in America with gun crime. Find your own solutions. But you need to understand the rest of the world is not like America except with funny accents and stop deluding yourselves you are somehow more free because you have guns. Deal with your own problems and stop trying to convince yourself other countries are in a worse state and you don't really have a problem.

Historically our police are unarmed so they cannot be used as a force for repression. I have no reason to fear the police because at least they can't shoot me and claim later I threatened them with a gun. Can you say the same? Historically we have a small army based at home-using it for repression would be difficult. During demonstrations we don't have armed police, troops or paramilitaries on the scene as a matter of course. Nor do we have private armies of armed security guards. Can you say the same?

The English government has effectively abolished the right of Englishmen, confirmed in their 1689 Bill of Rights, to "have arms for their defence," insisting upon a monopoly of force it can succeed in imposing only on law-abiding citizens.


Actually the original intention was arms for their defence against catholics.

http://www.webmesh.co.uk/englishbillofrights1689.htm

That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;


Times change but religious terrorism is not a new phenomenon. Bit i dgress
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

Bryn Mawr;670260 wrote: No - you started this without provocation.

As I said at the time, if you have a point then make it - taking the p!ss because you have no point is not going to get you anywhere


Go away...nobody invited you to this thread to argue...so leave it alone..

By the way..everything was FINE until YOU showed up...now disappear..



Thank-you:guitarist
User avatar
Bryn Mawr
Posts: 15912
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Skyhawk691;670352 wrote: Go away...nobody invited you to this thread to argue...so leave it alone..

By the way..everything was FINE until YOU showed up...now disappear..



Thank-you:guitarist


This is a public discussion forum - if you're not prepared to discuss matters politely then I would suggest that you disappear.

By "everything was FINE" I presume that you mean that you were getting you own way. Sad to tell you but discussion implies difference of opinion and the way to resolve that is not to tell the other person to butt out.

BTW - I've been discussing gun control with the good people of this forum for a fair while now. I do not need an invite to join in and I'm not going to leave it alone or go away to suit your convenience.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by RedGlitter »

Skyhawk691;670352 wrote: Go away...nobody invited you to this thread to argue...so leave it alone..

By the way..everything was FINE until YOU showed up...now disappear..



Thank-you:guitarist


HEY.

I think it's more like nobody invited YOU to this forum. You're out of line. You're also obnoxious in your rude replies. I personally wish you would disappear so the rest of us can enjoy having a discussion without resorting to tearing each other down. Either shape up or split.
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

RedGlitter;670373 wrote: HEY.

I think it's more like nobody invited YOU to this forum. You're out of line. You're also obnoxious in your rude replies. I personally wish you would disappear so the rest of us can enjoy having a discussion without resorting to tearing each other down. Either shape up or split.


Who in the hell are you? Jumping in the dogpile too? I'll stay just because you said leave...

Your nothing but a kissass anyway
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by RedGlitter »

Skyhawk691;670374 wrote: Who in the hell are you? Jumping in the dogpile too? I'll stay just because you said leave...

Your nothing but a kissass anyway


:wah: What a d*ck.

I say we ignore this puckhead and not give him any more air play. :)
Carl44
Posts: 10719
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Carl44 »

Skyhawk691;670374 wrote: Who in the hell are you? Jumping in the dogpile too? I'll stay just because you said leave...



Your nothing but a kissass anyway




you are obviously just a troll looking for fights so i wont give you one :wah:





but bryn and redglitter are well respected members on fg





its a forum you can post what you like so can they ... have a nice day good luck with the fg baiting someone will bite sooner or later :wah:
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

jimbo;670380 wrote: you are obviously just a troll looking for fights so i wont give you one :wah:





but bryn and redglitter are well respected members on fg





its a forum you can post what you like so can they ... have a nice day good luck with the fg baiting someone will bite sooner or later :wah:


So respect each and leave it at that...Why are you attacking me...I am defending myself here and posting my views as I see them...If you don't like my views , don't say anything...
Carl44
Posts: 10719
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Carl44 »

Skyhawk691;670382 wrote: So respect each and leave it at that...Why are you attacking me...I am defending myself here and posting my views as I see them...If you don't like my views , don't say anything...






anything :p:p:p











:D
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Accountable »

Skyhawk691;670352 wrote: Go away...nobody invited you to this thread to argue...so leave it alone..



By the way..everything was FINE until YOU showed up...now disappear..



Thank-you:guitarist
:yh_rotfl Oh that's RICH!! :yh_rotfl



Dude, if you can't support your argument, research. It's part of growing up. Investigate your positions with at least as much energy as you attack the positions you are against. You will either find that (1) you really don't believe what you thought you did (and that's good!) or (2) you have more and better ammunition to defend your beliefs (and that's good too!).



Either way, you'll be able to articulate yourself better, and that's great.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Accountable »

Skyhawk691;670382 wrote: So respect each and leave it at that...Why are you attacking me...I am defending myself here and posting my views as I see them...If you don't like my views , don't say anything...
Sorry, I missed this whole last page & didn't know there was a pile to jump on when I posted.



If everybody followed your recommendation this forum would be dead. Disagreement is where learning comes from.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Nomad »

Act crazy skyhawk. Works like a charm. They all go away.

Thats my top shelf advice. ;)
I AM AWESOME MAN
Skyhawk691
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Skyhawk691 »

Nomad;670516 wrote: Act crazy skyhawk. Works like a charm. They all go away.

Thats my top shelf advice. ;)


Thank-you...Consider it done...:sneaky:
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by gmc »

Skyhawk691;670382 wrote: So respect each and leave it at that...Why are you attacking me...I am defending myself here and posting my views as I see them...If you don't like my views , don't say anything...


If you don't like people disagreeing with you don't go on a public discussion forum. If you get upset about people not agreeing with you you really should keep your thoughts to yourself.
Patrick
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Patrick »

I desperately avoid situations where I might be confronted by a person with a knife. If that doesn't work I'd be more than willing to give the bad guy whatever he wants... keys, wallet, my Frampton Comes Alive! album... anything but my kids and you'd have to crazy to want those feral monkeys.

I know that some might not call that realistic, but it's worked for the last 33 years and I'm betting (literally) that it's going to work for the next 66.

Worse case scenario is someone who just wants me dead. Don't get me wrong, if that's the case I'll talk, scream, beg, punch, kick, wrestle, run, and dodge to try get away, but there are worse things than dying, killing is one of them.

Now this is just me, the rest you guys should feel free to fire at will.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Accountable »

Patrick;671088 wrote: I desperately avoid situations where I might be confronted by a person with a knife. If that doesn't work I'd be more than willing to give the bad guy whatever he wants... keys, wallet, my Frampton Comes Alive! album... anything but my kids and you'd have to crazy to want those feral monkeys.



I know that some might not call that realistic, but it's worked for the last 33 years and I'm betting (literally) that it's going to work for the next 66.



Worse case scenario is someone who just wants me dead. Don't get me wrong, if that's the case I'll talk, scream, beg, punch, kick, wrestle, run, and dodge to try get away, but there are worse things than dying, killing is one of them.



Now this is just me, the rest you guys should feel free to fire at will.
Why? You got something against Will?





;)
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by sunny104 »

Accountable;671368 wrote: Why? You got something against Will?





;)


:yh_rotfl
Patrick
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Patrick »

Accountable;671368 wrote: Why? You got something against Will?





;)


Old puns are the best puns. :D
Carl44
Posts: 10719
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Carl44 »

Accountable;671368 wrote: Why? You got something against Will?

:wah::wah:








Patrick;673738 wrote: Old puns are the best puns.




the punisher strikes again :wah:
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Accountable »

Patrick;671088 wrote: I desperately avoid situations where I might be confronted by a person with a knife. If that doesn't work I'd be more than willing to give the bad guy whatever he wants... keys, wallet, my Frampton Comes Alive! album... anything but my kids and you'd have to crazy to want those feral monkeys.



I know that some might not call that realistic, but it's worked for the last 33 years and I'm betting (literally) that it's going to work for the next 66.



[...]That's perfectly realistic, and wise.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Nomad »

Being a Samurai I usually just brandish my Hachiwara then cross my arms and fill the room with bellowing laughter as my opponent flees leaving behind faint traces of urine.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;673989 wrote: Being a Samurai I usually just brandish my Hachiwara then cross my arms and fill the room with bellowing laughter as my opponent flees leaving behind faint traces of urine.
Didn't Peewee Herman get arrested for that?
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by RedGlitter »

I've lost the whole point of this thread.

Is it that we have too many guns, or is it that scissors beats paper??
Carl44
Posts: 10719
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Carl44 »

Pinky;674019 wrote: Peoiple shoot other people with knives because they're gaylords.


:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl





do you mean crimelords or gay crime lords :wah:





death comes quick done ,quickly dispatched by a pink bullet carried out by an assasin all dressed in black with black matching trainers ..all very tastfull



mind you the bent cops could a force to be reckoned with :wah:
Patrick
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Patrick »

RedGlitter;674028 wrote: I've lost the whole point of this thread.

Is it that we have too many guns, or is it that scissors beats paper??


I think the point was that If you see someone come at you with a knife you're supposed to shoot them if you have gun because knifes are deadly and not to be underestimated.

My thoughts on the subject are thus... I would never shoot anyone for any reason. The moment we are born we are destined to die. It is a matter in which we do not have choice. Whether you're 33 and you've died because a drunk stabbed you in a bar or you're 99 and you died of old age in bed surrounded by family, in the end you are still dead plus or minus a few years. One thing we do have choice in is whether or not we kill. I choose not to.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by RedGlitter »

Thanks Patrick. I do see your point, where you're coming from. However if I were in that situation and were armed I would shoot with minor hesitation, but not to kill, only to temporarily cripple. But as I don't carry a gun, and don't know any martial arts or self defense, Id' probably get sliced and die.
User avatar
BTS
Posts: 3202
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:47 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by BTS »

Patrick;674286 wrote: I think the point was that If you see someone come at you with a knife you're supposed to shoot them if you have gun because knifes are deadly and not to be underestimated.



My thoughts on the subject are thus... I would never shoot anyone for any reason. The moment we are born we are destined to die. It is a matter in which we do not have choice. Whether you're 33 and you've died because a drunk stabbed you in a bar or you're 99 and you died of old age in bed surrounded by family, in the end you are still dead plus or minus a few years. One thing we do have choice in is whether or not we kill. I choose not to.


I CALL Bull pucky

Patrick;674286 wrote: The moment we are born we are destined to die. It is a matter in which we do not have choice.


Are you sure about that?

Maybe you (as in you) don't have a choice but many do and have used whatever it took to remain alive today.



You are telling me that if a machete or knife wielding crazy was about to harm your family and you had a opportunity to stop them by using deadly force and let's say there was a gun available to you.

I ask, would you stand there and watch as he (she) chopped down your family then you? Or would you pick that gun up and protect your family?



That is the question isn't it?
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Patrick
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Patrick »

BTS;674601 wrote: I CALL Bull pucky



Are you sure about that?

Maybe you (as in you) don't have a choice but many do and have used whatever it took to remain alive today.



You are telling me that if a machete or knife wielding crazy was about to harm your family and you had a opportunity to stop them by using deadly force and let's say there was a gun available to you.

I ask, would you stand there and watch as he (she) chopped down your family then you? Or would you pick that gun up and protect your family?



That is the question isn't it?


It is extremely easy to avoid situations where you might get stabbed, cut, or whatever. That bar looks dangerous. I think I'll drink somewhere else. This neighborhood looks bad. Good thing I never let my gas tank go below half.

Baring that, some guy car jacks me. Here have the keys. Want my wallet to? Sure fine. None of that stuff is worth my life or his. It’s just stuff.

As for home protection I got a big angry dog, my wife and I are pretty savvy about home security so we’ve got a great alarm, doors, windows, and what not. And finally I'm lucky enough to be married to a cop. Trust me, she does not share my pacifist views, and you do not want to be the guy threatening her husband or kids. God I love strong woman! And yes there is a gun in the house (though I'd rather shove pinecone somewhere unpleasant than use it). Like I said she's a cop, but it's more likely statistically that one of us would kill the other with her gun than she would be to kill an intruder.

I admit I have not made my decision in a vacuum. I have a very safe life, but anyone can protect themselves if they're smart. If the situation has arrived where you are looking down the bad end of a weapon, then you have made a bad decision somewhere along the way. Whether it five years ago when you decided that you didn't need good security or if it was five seconds ago when you told that psycho in that bar to **** off.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by RedGlitter »

If the situation has arrived where you are looking down the bad end of a weapon, then you have made a bad decision somewhere along the way. Whether it five years ago when you decided that you didn't need good security or if it was five seconds ago when you told that psycho in that bar to **** off.


I'm afraid I cannot agree with this. It's too generalized. There are plenty of victims around who were victims not through any fault of their own. I say let's blame the perp, that's where blame belongs IMO.
Patrick
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Patrick »

RedGlitter;674713 wrote: I'm afraid I cannot agree with this. It's too generalized. There are plenty of victims around who were victims not through any fault of their own. I say let's blame the perp, that's where blame belongs IMO.


There's that too. In no way am I saying that the bad guys in aren't at fault. What I am saying is that a person's role in surviving a crime of violence often starts long before the crime takes place. Making bad decisions that leave you open to crime to the point where you have use a gun to defend yourself and then there's distinct possibility of someone getting killed is an abdication of responsibility.

I live in Southern California. Do I have the right to walk through East L.A. at night? Yes I do. It'll get me killed, but I do. Yes, the thugs who killed me are at fault. They're murderers, but wasn't a little stupid of me to go walking through a war zone (hyperbole)?

It's your life; take a proactive role in defending it.
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by RedGlitter »

Patrick;674720 wrote: There's that too. In no way am I saying that the bad guys in aren't at fault. What I am saying is that a person's role in surviving a crime of violence often starts long before the crime takes place. Making bad decisions that leave you open to crime to the point where you have use a gun to defend yourself and then there's distinct possibility of someone getting killed is an abdication of responsibility.

I live in Southern California. Do I have the right to walk through East L.A. at night? Yes I do. It'll get me killed, but I do. Yes, the thugs who killed me are at fault. They're murderers, but wasn't a little stupid of me to go walking through a war zone (hyperbole)?

It's your life; take a proactive role in defending it.


There's nothing wrong with using common sense (east L.A.) but how about the person who stops in the 7-11 to buy a Slurpee and ends up in the middle of a holdup? How are they at any kind of fault?
Patrick
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:32 am

Why we shoot people with knives

Post by Patrick »

RedGlitter;674722 wrote: There's nothing wrong with using common sense (east L.A.) but how about the person who stops in the 7-11 to buy a Slurpee and ends up in the middle of a holdup? How are they at any kind of fault?


You're right. Sometimes in the end it does come down to bad luck, though I think I can shave down the odds statistically so that bad luck hopefully won't play a role.

It's like a Jehovah’s Witness who keeps themselves in good shape so they don't have to have the surgery they won't survive because they won't have a blood transfusion. I think ahead and keep out of trouble so I won't have to use the violence that I won't use to save my life. In the end though the Jehovah’s Witness still might die of disease that could have been cured by surgery and I still might die at the hands of a thug, but we still held on to our convictions, which to use were more important than our lives.

Return to “Gun Control”