Ibuprofen

Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

I took an 800 mg Ibuprofen. I assumed its just stronger aspirin than the over the counter but Im feeling buzzy and I dont care for it. Im on the verge of freaking out. Has anyone taken this high of a dose before ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Ibuprofen

Post by chonsigirl »

Was it a perscription one, for muscle relief or something, Nomad?
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

chonsigirl;665450 wrote: Was it a perscription one, for muscle relief or something, Nomad?

Yes.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Ibuprofen

Post by chonsigirl »

It is 4x the average dose, if it bothers you, next time half it. Or just take the over the counter dosage, small pills, up to three max.

It is not aspirin, it won't do the same thing as aspirin does. It is for muscle reliefs mostly, very good for that.
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

chonsigirl;665454 wrote: It is 4x the average dose, if it bothers you, next time half it. Or just take the over the counter dosage, small pills, up to three max.

It is not aspirin, it won't do the same thing as aspirin does. It is for muscle reliefs mostly, very good for that.

Ok but Im freaking out now. :wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Ibuprofen

Post by koan »

yes. I've taken high dose ibuprofen. Can't remember exactly how strong. It doesn't matter if someone else has or hasn't though. People can react to medications very differently. If you are worried you should contact the poison control hotline and ask them
spot

Ibuprofen

Post by spot »

It's the most I'd take, with 8 hours between doses. I've never had any side effects from it, and 800mg is the standard high-dose for an adult. I take it you've not taken anything else recently to complicate matters?

I'd guess it's whatever you took it for that's messing you about, not the tablet.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Ibuprofen

Post by koan »

Wikipedia says:

Human toxicology

Ibuprofen overdose has become common since it was licensed for over-the-counter use. There are many overdose experiences reported in the medical literature.[9] Human response in cases of overdose ranges from absence of symptoms to fatal outcome in spite of intensive care treatment. Most symptoms are an excess of the pharmacological action of ibuprofen and include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, tinnitus, and nystagmus. Rarely more severe symptoms such as gastrointestinal bleeding, seizures, metabolic acidosis, hyperkalaemia, hypotension, bradycardia, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, coma, hepatic dysfunction, acute renal failure, cyanosis, respiratory depression, and cardiac arrest have been reported.[10] The severity of symptoms varies with the ingested dose and the time elapsed, however, individual sensitivity also plays an important role. Generally, the symptoms observed with an overdose of ibuprofen are similar to the symptoms caused by overdoses of other NSAIDs.

There is little correlation between severity of symptoms and measured ibuprofen plasma levels. Toxic effects are unlikely at doses below 100 mg/kg but can be severe above 400 mg/kg;[11] however, large doses do not indicate that the clinical course is likely to be lethal.[12] It is not possible to determine a precise lethal dose, as this may vary with age, weight, and concomitant diseases of the individual patient.
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

If you are worried you should contact the poison control hotline and ask them

Oddly enough I dont find this very helpful. :wah:

I'd guess it's whatever you took it for that's messing you about, not the tablet.

Sore bones is all.

I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Ibuprofen

Post by chonsigirl »

Go soak in a nice warm tub.........

Oh, you are too young for old bones!
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

koan;665459 wrote: Wikipedia says:

Human toxicology

Ibuprofen overdose has become common since it was licensed for over-the-counter use. There are many overdose experiences reported in the medical literature.[9] Human response in cases of overdose ranges from absence of symptoms to fatal outcome in spite of intensive care treatment. Most symptoms are an excess of the pharmacological action of ibuprofen and include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, tinnitus, and nystagmus. Rarely more severe symptoms such as gastrointestinal bleeding, seizures, metabolic acidosis, hyperkalaemia, hypotension, bradycardia, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, coma, hepatic dysfunction, acute renal failure, cyanosis, respiratory depression, and cardiac arrest have been reported.[10] The severity of symptoms varies with the ingested dose and the time elapsed, however, individual sensitivity also plays an important role. Generally, the symptoms observed with an overdose of ibuprofen are similar to the symptoms caused by overdoses of other NSAIDs.

There is little correlation between severity of symptoms and measured ibuprofen plasma levels. Toxic effects are unlikely at doses below 100 mg/kg but can be severe above 400 mg/kg;[11] however, large doses do not indicate that the clinical course is likely to be lethal.[12] It is not possible to determine a precise lethal dose, as this may vary with age, weight, and concomitant diseases of the individual patient.

Ok now that calmed me down. Thank you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

Ibuprofen

Post by Lon »

Nomad;665446 wrote: I took an 800 mg Ibuprofen. I assumed its just stronger aspirin than the over the counter but Im feeling buzzy and I dont care for it. Im on the verge of freaking out. Has anyone taken this high of a dose before ?

The over the counter Ibuprofen comes in 200 mg per tablet. You are taking four times as much. Your bound to feel buzzy.
spot

Ibuprofen

Post by spot »

Nomad;665463 wrote: Ok now that calmed me down. Thank you.

So it ought. The toxic effects only begin at around ten times the dose you've taken, from those figures.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Ibuprofen

Post by koan »

spot;665475 wrote: So it ought. The toxic effects only begin at around ten times the dose you've taken, from those figures.

more than that, I thought.

130 lbs = 59.1 kg

100 mg/kg is safe so I could take 5910 mg before I'd likely have any problems and 23 640 before it was serious. According to that article anyway. Unless Nomad weighs one kg then he's got some wiggle room
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

koan;665509 wrote: more than that, I thought.

130 lbs = 59.1 kg

100 mg/kg is safe so I could take 5910 mg before I'd likely have any problems and 23 640 before it was serious. According to that article anyway. Unless Nomad weighs one kg then he's got some wiggle room

Ive been meaning to figure out my kg weight.

While Im at it I might as well figure out how many centimeters tall I am too. :wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
SuzyB

Ibuprofen

Post by SuzyB »

Hey Nomad you should be fine, I've just been taken off them due to internal bleeding :thinking: But that was due to the duration and the amount I was taking. In the UK 3000 people a year die due to side effects from this drug.

I am sure this post has made you feel better:rolleyes:
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

spot

Ibuprofen

Post by spot »

koan;665509 wrote: more than that, I thought.

130 lbs = 59.1 kg

I put his weight at 180 lbs, that gives 8000 mg, he took 800mg, that's the ten times.

Come on Nomie, who's closest? Get on the scales.
koan

Ibuprofen

Post by koan »

I used my own weight. You seriously don't think I'd guess he weighs the same as me, right?
spot

Ibuprofen

Post by spot »

koan;665539 wrote: I used my own weight. You seriously don't think I'd guess he weighs the same as me, right?

No, I was puzzling why you thought my 10x was wrong, that's all.
koan

Ibuprofen

Post by koan »

spot;665541 wrote: No, I was puzzling why you thought my 10x was wrong, that's all.

Ah. True. The 10x is correct. I was looking at the "serious" symptom dosage of 400/kg.

Most people are willing to overlook side effects that won't kill them for the convenience of the drug.
Marie5656

Ibuprofen

Post by Marie5656 »

I take that amount every night at bedtime. Doctor's order. Try taking it with food if you take a high dose again, see if that helps any.
SuzyB

Ibuprofen

Post by SuzyB »

Soberano;665614 wrote: I was prescribed Ibuprofen, i took 1600 mg tablets twice a day. I stopped after they made me quite ill.

I was on that dose but also took 225 of voltrol which is an ibuprofen drug, so I was on 1825 for 6 years, for the last 18 months i was also on tablets to try to protect my stomach lining as i had been in pain and bleeding for a while, things reached a peak a couple of months ago and I am no longer allowed to take them unless I want to kick the bucket from internal bleeding :rolleyes:

Accountable

Ibuprofen

Post by Accountable »

I wouldn't take them by mouth, either, if they're that dangerous. :-2
Uncle Kram

Ibuprofen

Post by Uncle Kram »

I take a lot of Ibuprofen at the moment as I'm having pysiotherapy on a shoulder injury from 5 months ago. I take it quite often for dental or back pain too. I always take the 200mg tablets in pairs 3 times a day up to the maximum recommended allowance of 1200mg. You should always take them with orafter food or you stomach can start bleeding.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

spot;665528 wrote: I put his weight at 180 lbs, that gives 8000 mg, he took 800mg, that's the ten times.

Come on Nomie, who's closest? Get on the scales.

210 lbs.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Ibuprofen

Post by Nomad »

SuzyB;665521 wrote: Hey Nomad you should be fine, I've just been taken off them due to internal bleeding :thinking: But that was due to the duration and the amount I was taking. In the UK 3000 people a year die due to side effects from this drug.

I am sure this post has made you feel better:rolleyes:

I think this is what I like most about you, such a gentle touch. Thank you. :-4
I AM AWESOME MAN
SuzyB

Ibuprofen

Post by SuzyB »

Nomad;666265 wrote: I think this is what I like most about you, such a gentle touch. Thank you. :-4

Your welcome Nommy :D:-4

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”