Spot, please may I ask you for some advice?

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Or indeed, anyone who knows about the data protection act in the UK.

My neighbour works for the local council and she has looked through my personal files there. She originally thought I owned the house I lived in but she has found out that I rent. Using this information she has gone to my landlord and given him information about me that he didn't know and asked him for permission to access my property which I had previously refused. I am extremely angry about this, for a lot of reasons!

Do you know if this is considered a breach of data protection, as it was done to benefit her? And, if so, how serious is it? Could she be sacked? or just admonished?

I get on well with all my neighbours but this couple are new and are a complete nightmare! The husband is a manager, extremely well paid, thinks he is God's gift and so rides rough-shod over anyone in his way.

I really want to know whether I have a right to complain and if I will be taken seriously or if it will all be brushed under the carpet?

Thanks for your help.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

had no right abuse of power report her to her boss in writing or seek legal advice
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Rapunzel;644267 wrote: Or indeed, anyone who knows about the data protection act in the UK.

My neighbour works for the local council and she has looked through my personal files there. She originally thought I owned the house I lived in but she has found out that I rent. Using this information she has gone to my landlord and given him information about me that he didn't know and asked him for permission to access my property which I had previously refused. I am extremely angry about this, for a lot of reasons!

Do you know if this is considered a breach of data protection, as it was done to benefit her? And, if so, how serious is it? Could she be sacked? or just admonished?

I get on well with all my neighbours but this couple are new and are a complete nightmare! The husband is a manager, extremely well paid, thinks he is God's gift and so rides rough-shod over anyone in his way.

I really want to know whether I have a right to complain and if I will be taken seriously or if it will all be brushed under the carpet?

Thanks for your help.

OMG!!!!!!!!! She had ABSOLUTELY no right to do that:mad:
Very nearly perfect ... :D
abbey

Post by abbey »

Rap, i know i'm not spot although i am a little spotty at the moment.

Rapunzel;644267 wrote: Or indeed, anyone who knows about the data protection act in the UK.

Why would she want to access your home?

Do you know if this is considered a breach of data protection, as it was done to benefit her? And, if so, how serious is it? Could she be sacked? or just admonished? Damn right it is especially if its benefitting her and damn right she could be sacked providing you have proof she did it

Thanks for your help.

Shout as loud as you can and dont let them ride roughshod over you
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

Thought I may be of some help. so here goes..

As far as I am aware, anyone that holds data about an individual has certain obligations under the data protection act, namely:

!. It must be accurate

2. It must be kept for a lawfull reason and contain only the data that is absolutely pertanent for the purpose it is used for.

3. The data must only be disclosed to a home office authority (ie. the Police) if it is deemed necessary under strict rules with regards to unlawful acts or a matter of national security.

4. The data must be kept safe and secure, and if to be disposed of, must be done in a manner that does not allow third parties to identify the individual from the data.

You also have certain rights;

1. Top view any data held about you, subject to a reasonable charge.

2. the right to have data changed if it is incorrect.

3. the right to be informed of who and why the data has been released to third parties.

If you feel your rights have been abused, or you feel that your data has been used for unlawfull reasons, then your first port of call should be The Data Protection Registrar, with whom which anyone wishing to hold data about you, must register.

The data protection registrar is responsible for up holding the law with regards to the DP Act

The person who holds your data is obliged to supply you with the details on how to contact the DP registrar.

Hoped this helped!! :)
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

WOW! Thanks for all the quick replies! You guys are brilliant.

Woppy, I didn't really follow all you said - too technical for a thickie, please excuse me. :o

Abbey, hunny, are you poorly? You poor love. :( Hugs to you.

Basically the new & nightmarish neighbours have moved in and extended their home. They've built an extra 4 rooms on the side and a MASSIVE conservatory on the back. In the interests of good neighbourliness I didn't complain about the size of the conservatory, even though it partially blocks my view. However, I DID ask them to be reasonable about the noise as hubby works nights and sleeps days.

Well, the noise has been a nightmare. There is constant drilling and hammering from 7am to 11pm, including weekends and bank holidays. It's not every day, but most days. This last week has been terrible as they have had the roof taken off and replaced. The neighbours took off on holiday for a week to escape the noise. The other half had to take a few days sick leave as he was totally exhausted and just couldn't get any sleep. :-5

A while back the wife demanded that I let her workmen come into my back garden to finish her conservatory. She told me I HAD to let them in or she would call in a mediator. Oh and she said I HAD to reply in the next 10 days, so she could start on time. Well the official paperwork she dropped off said I had 30 days to decide before mediation started.

Then 5 days after she dropped the paperwork off her hubby came to ask about the paperwork. He turned up about 8.30pm and spent at least 5 minutes hammering and banging on the front door. He was bashing the glass so loudly I really thought he was going to smash the front door in.

Anyway, I haven't been very well lately. I had a miscarriage about 18 months ago and was diagnosed with cancer and diabetes at the same time. I've had laser treatments and operations to get rid of the cancer cells, but those lil suckers don't wanna go. Those ops are causing probs with the diabetes and I've been having hospital appointments to deal with those probs. I've also had some major probs with my mum and have been asking the doctor for some counselling, but she refused. Oh, and I'm trying to homeschool my daughter as she was bullied dreadfully at her old school. I've tried to get her into new schools but they won't take her as her old school are blaming her not the bully! Long story!

Anyway, I was dozing on the bed as I hadn't been sleeping well when him-next-door started trying to bash the door down. The sound of him trying to smash his way in made me jump and woke me up so fast that my heart was pounding in fright. I staggered out of bed to the window to see him saunter off. My kids aren't allowed to answer the front door (too many weirdos around here) but he had scared them so much that my daughter was really frightened and in floods of tears.

She then dropped a note round demanding that I let her workmen come into my back garden to finish her conservatory. I dropped a note back explaining how upset and frightened my daughter had been, assuming they'd apologise to her. They didn't. So I thought I'd wait for the mediator and explain that when I had an apology from them and a polite request instead of a demand, then they could use my garden. Instead, they waited the 30 days then dropped in another note telling me the workmen would be coming in my garden the next day. They said the workmen would try to give me some privacy (as they can see in my lounge, kitchen and bedroom from my garden) but it probably wouldn't be possible! I dropped a note back saying I refused my permission!

She works for the local council as a secretary in the audit department.

She thought I owned my own house and so the ONLY way she could have found that I rented was to access my council files (even though she really shouldn't have any access to them), see that I was on the council house list and then write to my landlord. He has now written to tell me to allow their workmen in! But this means that if they ever want to compllain about me they just have to write to him, until he gets fed up with them and terminates my lease!

I bought them a nice bottle of wine when they moved in and awelcome card, but they've never even said thankyou. I've put up with their constant hammering, sqawing and drilling. I didn't complain about their huge conservatory and every time the football is on they have 20 mates round, turn the sound up FULL VOLUME and swear loudly and constantly throughout the match. I really don't want my kids listening to them all screaming filth at their tv for hours on end. He's pretty high up in the football world, manager not player. So I have to put up with their abuseive rudeness but they can get me kicked out if they want. It seems so unfair! :-5
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

OMFG that is bang out of order. I don't know the laws about that myself but it is certainly morally wrong, if not illegal. I'd be steaming. :-5
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

crazygal;644328 wrote: OMFG that is bang out of order. I don't know the laws about that myself but it is certainly morally wrong, if not illegal. I'd be steaming. :-5

I AM steaming! I am SO angry! But if I write to the council will they try to say that she was doing some work that needed doing on my files and that perhaps she found out some other way? I CANNOT see how else she could have found out BUT I also CANNOT PROVE that she got my details from my file! :-5

I SO want to get her sacked for this! I am SO furious! I have never wanted to get anyone sacked before but I feel I either must constantly kiss their butts or lose my home! ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :-5
gmc

Post by gmc »

Thanks for your help.

Can you get definite proof that this is what she has done? If you can pursue it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/RightsAndRe ... G_10028507

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

You might find the complaints section of interest.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/complaints/d ... ction.aspx

There is a list of people who are registered data controllers

(I am one such which is why I know about it).

If she is a data controller it is a serious breach to use information this way. If she is not it is even more so. It is very serious, The offence is (I think) a criminal one not a civil one.

You most certainly do have a right to complain. Also about the landlord, if you are renting he cannot give someone permission to enter the property unless it is to carry out repairs or something like that and even then not without your agreement. If she does enter don't muck about. Ask her to leave and call the police straight away if she doesn't.

What kind of manager is the husband and of what? If local authority just remember he works for you, more to the point what he does for a living is irrelevant.

Sorry I'm not spot but I cheer myself up by telling myself that I am far better looking and not welsh.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

gmc;644337 wrote: Can you get definite proof that this is what she has done? If you can pursue it.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

You might find the complaints section of interest.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/complaints/d ... ction.aspx

There is a list of people who are registered data controllers

(I am one such which is why I know about it).

If she is a data controller it is a serious breach to use information this way. If she is not it is even more so. It is very serious, The offence is (I think) a criminal one not a civil one.

You most certainly do have a right to complain. Also about the landlord, if you are renting he cannot give someone permission to enter the property unless it is to carry out repairs or something like that and even then not without your agreement. If she does enter don't muck about. Ask her to leave and call the police straight away if she doesn't.

What kind of manager is the husband and of what? If local authority just remember he works for you, more to the point what he does for a living is irrelevant.

Sorry I'm not spot but I am safe in my conviction that I am far better looking and not welsh.

Thankyou gmc. :)

Y'know I once had my purse stolen out of my bag. When I reported it to the police the policeman asked "Did you see someone take it from your bag?" I laughed in disbelief and said of course not, or I would have snatched it back. He replied that I couldn't actually prove it had been stolen as I had not seen it being stolen! Mad, huh?

So no, I have no proof that that is what she did. Unless there is a record on her pc at work. But she has NO other way of knowing that I rent. She always assumed I owned my house.

She's not a data controller. She works in audit and is a gopher-come-secretary as far as I am aware.

It would be good if it were a criminal offence as the council could act on it rather than making it a civil court matter. I just wonder if they would try to brush it under the carpet as she works for them and so it makes them look bad.

Are you sure I can refuse permission without causing problems with my landlord? I don't want to lose my home.

Her husband is a football manager. Again, he's very rich, we're poor as churchmice. Would people listen to him rather than me as he is more important than we are? :(

Don't worry about not being Spot. Your advice is Spot on and I'm sure you're utterly gorgeous! *winks*

Many thanks for all the websites - I'll look into them all. Mel. :)
abbey

Post by abbey »

Abbey, hunny, are you poorly? You poor love. :( Hugs to you.

:-3 No, why?

Thanks for the hugs though. :-4
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Mel, I am so sorry for all this trouble your having with the neighbours, money and influence does not give people the right to think that they can walk all over people, it takes someone to stand up to them. If she has accessed the information on her PC it can be proven, my friend works for our local council and she said you are well within your rights to put in an official complaint, where they will investigate the complaint for you.

Regarding your landlord does your contract have information about his notice for access?? Might be worth looking up, but I think that he is within his rights to expect you to allow them 'reasonable' access, eg notice given and duration.

Most importantly, I am so sorry to hear that you have been unwell and your daughter has been having a horrid time, my thoughts are with your family :-4 :-4
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

abbey;644356 wrote: No, why?

Thanks for the hugs though. :-4

You're welcome sweetie. :) You said:

abbey;644276 wrote: Rap, i know i'm not spot although i am a little spotty at the moment.

so I thought maybe you'd had measles or something recently.

Sorry, I'm not here so much lately and so thought I had missed you being poorly.

Hugs to you anyway and hope your mum is well. Hugs to Raspberry too! :) Woof! Woof! :)
abbey

Post by abbey »

Rapunzel;644367 wrote: You're welcome sweetie. You said:

so I thought maybe you'd had measles or something recently.

Sorry, I'm not here so much lately and so thought I had missed you being poorly.

Hugs to you anyway and hope your mum is well. Hugs to Raspberry too! :) Woof! Woof! :)
:wah: No, i had some filler on my face last week and i've been left with teeny spots where the syringe went, i'm going back for more on Tues so i'll not only be line free but have acne like a ruddy teenager.

Bah the price of vanity eh?

Mum's fantastic and my little wonkey donkey (raspberry) is snoring like a good un as i type. :-4
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

SuzyB;644364 wrote: Mel, I am so sorry for all this trouble your having with the neighbours, money and influence does not give people the right to think that they can walk all over people, it takes someone to stand up to them. If she has accessed the information on her PC it can be proven, my friend works for our local council and she said you are well within your rights to put in an official complaint, where they will investigate the complaint for you.

Regarding your landlord does your contract have information about his notice for access?? Might be worth looking up, but I think that he is within his rights to expect you to allow them 'reasonable' access, eg notice given and duration.

Most importantly, I am so sorry to hear that you have been unwell and your daughter has been having a horrid time, my thoughts are with your family

Thankyou for your sweet kindness Suzy. :)

Unfortunately money and influence do count for a lot in this world and they do allow the "haves" to walk all over the "have nots"! :-5

Thanks for your friends advice, I will complain to the council on Monday now.

I will talk to the landlord. He said a while ago that I was one of his best tenants so hopefully he'll be understanding and reasonable.

And last but definitely not least, thankyou so much for your good wishes.

Hugs to you and yours too. :yh_hugs :)
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

abbey;644372 wrote: :wah: No, i had some filler on my face last week and i've been left with teeny spots where the syringe went, i'm going back for more on Tues so i'll not only be line free but have acne like a ruddy teenager.

Bah the price of vanity eh?

Mum's fantastic and my little wonkey donkey (raspberry) is snoring like a good un as i type. :-4

Pollyfilla, huh? I need some of that too. :wah:

I'm so glad you, your mum and sweet lil Raspberry are so well. :-4
spot

Post by spot »

Woah, slow down! Goodness me. Stop, instantly!

It's a five minute job to go to the Land Registry at http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/direct/c ... efault.asp and search on any address in the country. Most - and I bet yours is among them - will give full ownership detail online for around £4 on a credit card. You can ask for the border plans on 1:1250 scale, it will show you not just who owns the place but how many finance companies have a loan secured by the property and who they all are, their addresses and the dates the security was registered. You can do everything there that's been described in the first post. It's public record for anyone at all to access. Oy vey.

Spotty Abbey, we want photos.

Beautiful Rapunzel, you and yours all need hugs and if you don't get well soon I'll come and spank you.

x.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
abbey

Post by abbey »

spot;644472 wrote:

Beautiful Rapunzel, you and yours all need hugs and if you don't get well soon I'll come and spank you.

x.
So, i'm spotty Abbey and Rap's beautiful and gets a promise of a spanking!

At least i know where i stand.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

spot;644472 wrote: Woah, slow down! Goodness me. Stop, instantly!

It's a five minute job to go to the Land Registry at http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/direct/c ... efault.asp and search on any address in the country. Most - and I bet yours is among them - will give full ownership detail online for around £4 on a credit card. You can ask for the border plans on 1:1250 scale, it will show you not just who owns the place but how many finance companies have a loan secured by the property and who they all are, their addresses and the dates the security was registered. You can do everything there that's been described in the first post. It's public record for anyone at all to access. Oy vey.

x.

Thanks Spot, I knew you'd know. :)

Would most people know to do that though? And would that also give the letting agent's details as they actually contacted the letting agent who then contacted the landlord on their behalf.

I feel thoroughly deflated now. :(

Do you know what my rights are? Do I have a right to complain or must I just accept whatever they dish out? I just dunno what to do. *big sigh*

PS. I'll look forward to the hugs and spanks - I like both! *winks* hehehe :D :wah:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

abbey;644542 wrote: So, i'm spotty Abbey and Rap's beautiful and gets a promise of a spanking!

At least i know where i stand.

Lol Abbey! I bet a LOT of people on here would LOVE to give you hugs and spanks! Woohoo! :D

(Form a queue here folks . . .)
Madcow

Post by Madcow »

I don't really agree with the whole ASBO thing as I think it gives the goverment too much power...but I also don't like ignorant people who show no consideration for their neighbors either.

If they are still building, talk to another neighbor, if they are having problems with them aswell... get an asbo put on them.

For more info go here crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos/asbos9.htm

oh how embarresing that would be for them...

Best of luck,

:yh_cow

Return to “Work Employment”