UK fuel tax incentive - plant oils.

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Users of less than 2500 litres a year of Pure Plant Oil (PPO) fuel will now no longer need to register with Customs and Excise and pay road fuel duty as of the 30th of June.

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motorin ... 26089.html

The bad news is that it is said that an engine modification (extra component) costing about £750 is needed. The price of this fuel right now is said to be 52p/litre.
spot

Post by spot »

The article says "PPO is the most environmentally sound road fuel available today". That's a bit like saying Leptospirosis is the least lethal disease currently notifiable under the Public Health (Infectious Diseases) Regulations 1988. It may be true but it doesn't make it something to actively recommend.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Thinking about it, 2500 litres a year is less than a tank a week, it's not a tremendous concession. It just gets a car around town but it scarcely covers commuting or holidays.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

spot;654965 wrote: Thinking about it, 2500 litres a year is less than a tank a week, it's not a tremendous concession. It just gets a car around town but it scarcely covers commuting or holidays.

2,500 litres "just gets a car around town but it scarcely covers commuting or holidays"? Think again & re-psot.
spot

Post by spot »

Bill Sikes;656224 wrote: 2,500 litres "just gets a car around town but it scarcely covers commuting or holidays"? Think again & re-psot.

What am I missing? It's a fifty litre tank (that's eleven gallons) filled fifty weeks of the year at most.

What sort of mileage do you expect running around town grocering and dropping/collecting children? 30 miles a gallon? 330 miles a week on that tankful? Fifty miles a day, there and back a few times? You're not going to get a lot more than fifty miles a day from your 2500 litres a year, that's my take on it. The limit you could be expecting is 20,000 miles a year and that's stretching the numbers a long way. The only people I know who do that little motoring are parents shuttling children and shopping around town.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

spot;656274 wrote: The limit you could be expecting is 20,000 miles a year and that's stretching the numbers a long way. The only people I know who do that little motoring are parents shuttling children and shopping around town.

You move in small circles, then. The average mileage in the UK is just over 12,500 miles per year. Parents just "shuttling children and shopping around town" will do far fewer miles, albeit using more fuel to travel those miles. Many "repmobiles" will do 45-50MPG combined, whicjh equates to 25,000+ miles on 2,500 litres.

The point of my post was not so much to spark an argument, as to point out that such an incentive seems to be a good thing.
spot

Post by spot »

You're quite right Bill. I assumed the low miles per year was that cars per household had gone up but it's not so. The UK averages one car per household. Mind you, a quarter of all households have no access to a car, so you can see why those households which have access might drive more than one of their cars does. It still doesn't push the numbers as high as I did though.

I was writing purely from experience and not looking stuff up to check. I had it in mind that if you used a car while working you drove around 50-70,000 miles a year (I ignore truck drivers who are closer to 170,000 miles) and that domestic household use was around 20,000. Those figures matched only what I've seen. Obviously the country at large behaves differently to my family and acquaintances, and adheres to the figures you've produced.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

spot;656652 wrote: The UK averages one car per household. Mind you, a quarter of all households have no access to a car

I am surprised by that. It seems to me, judging by traffic congestion, that each household - apart from those which do not have a car (I assume) - ought to have at least two cars each, if not two per individual. IMO the good is that tax breaks for "renewable", or carbon-neutral, transport are good (but the practice of "buying carbon offset" is not!), but the setup cost involved, and the unknown refuelling opportunities, are not, being a dis-incentive.
spot

Post by spot »

Bill Sikes;656662 wrote: I am surprised by that.
Ten minutes browsing http://www.cfit.gov.uk/docs/2001/ebp/ebp/stage1/02.htm is worthwhile, I thought. The figures are around ten years old but life doesn't change as fast as all that. The report's 2002. If there's a new version I'd get excited.

Return to “Earth Changes”