It MUST be Spring

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Tombstone

It MUST be Spring

Post by Tombstone »

A few more weeks to go until Spring. A couple of months more to go before we have our last frost. Time to get ready for the warm months!

My boys and I went into town this weekend and picked up our initial garden supplies. We came home with red onion, tomato, corn, cucumber, bean, lettuce, spring onion, lemon cucumber, and pea seeds.

To get a jump on this, we are germinating the seeds in a small portable greenhouse in what we call our "mud room". (Connects the house with the garage - and it's where we all enter and leave the house during the snowy/wet season - and where we dump our shoes, boots, jackets, gloves, you name it.)

This is going to be an experimental year for us. I 'skidded' out the old garden area (see photos) and will be expanding the lawn to have more play area for the kids.

We are going to be building raised beds near the south side of the house. Hopefully, this will provide us with a little warmer dirt, protection from our seemingly hundreds of gophers, and a more controlled environment in regards to access by the general wildlife.

If interested, I'll post more photos as we begin putting together the raised beds!

Attached files
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
lady cop

It MUST be Spring

Post by lady cop »

do keep us posted! i had a fantastic huge garden in MASS. and was devoted to the old PBS Victory Garden program. when i came to florida i discovered after a lot of blood and sweat, that it's just too hot, and between the fire ants and snakes, not worth it. :-1 i LOVED my garden, and herb garden as well. so i can enjoy your progress vicariously! (send veggies!)
Paula

It MUST be Spring

Post by Paula »

No it isn't Spring here at all. Feb 23...full blown winter. No spring for awhile at least until April. Enjoy your spring it is no where in site here in Northeastern Connecticut.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
greydeadhead

It MUST be Spring

Post by greydeadhead »

Spring.. bwahahahahahahaha.. not for another month or so.. Idon't dare plant until after Memorial day in some cases.. I can do cold weather crops .. lettuce, beans, peas, greens in late April or early May.. hell.. I will still be skiing the first week of April.. sigh.. but I did do my plant and seed order last week.. soooooooooo.. there is hope.. very ambitious plans TS.. good luck.. myself I have to finish a freestanding slate wall and expand two other flower beds, prune the fruit trees, and get the veggie garden manurized and tilled.. all in the spring..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
capt_buzzard

It MUST be Spring

Post by capt_buzzard »

It must be spring:( Two weeks ago in Ireland, we were getting ready for spring. But that all changed on Tuesday 22 February, when snow the snow storms came. Its still here. More tomorrow is forecast www.meteireann.ie/

:-5
Der Wulf

It MUST be Spring

Post by Der Wulf »

capt_buzzard wrote: It must be spring:( Two weeks ago in Ireland, we were getting ready for spring. But that all changed on Tuesday 22 February, when snow the snow storms came. Its still here. More tomorrow is forecast www.meteireann.ie/

:-5
Ya learn sumthin new every day on this forum, example: I did'nt know Ireland was whine country, looks like Cap'n is working on a big crop. Wunder if the little people do grape stompin :-3
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
capt_buzzard

It MUST be Spring

Post by capt_buzzard »

Der Wulf wrote: Ya learn sumthin new every day on this forum, example: I did'nt know Ireland was whine country, looks like Cap'n is working on a big crop. Wunder if the little people do grape stompin :-3Heil Zer Der Wulf
Tombstone

It MUST be Spring

Post by Tombstone »

Tombstone wrote:

We are going to be building raised beds near the south side of the house. Hopefully, this will provide us with a little warmer dirt, protection from our seemingly hundreds of gophers, and a more controlled environment in regards to access by the general wildlife.

If interested, I'll post more photos as we begin putting together the raised beds!

Okay, as promised, here is an update! I'll include some more photos of the work I just completed on the other side of the house too.

The photos attached are of the garden area again. You can see that I've graded and extended further back into the "wild" area so that we could have a place to put our raised beds. I've got a few fairly tall fir and pine trees near this area, so I hope it won't block too much of the sun.

Attached files
hotsauce

It MUST be Spring

Post by hotsauce »

This is HUGE! I can't imagine taking care of a garden this big. I just put in a 300 square foot garden. I had to kill all the grass and dig it up with a shovel. :mad: Something tells me you had some awesome equipment to make all this happen. :) Keep us updated. I would love to see the raised beds.
Tombstone

It MUST be Spring

Post by Tombstone »

hotsauce wrote: This is HUGE! I can't imagine taking care of a garden this big. I just put in a 300 square foot garden. I had to kill all the grass and dig it up with a shovel. :mad: Something tells me you had some awesome equipment to make all this happen. :) Keep us updated. I would love to see the raised beds.

I'm not *that crazy! Actually, most of the dirt area is where I am going to expand the lawn. The raised beds will cover just a portion of this new area.
Jives

It MUST be Spring

Post by Jives »

lol, I fertilized my lawn three times on three separate weekends, now it's growing four inches a week! Whoops!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare

Return to “Gardening Forum”