The Modem that wont Stop!

LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

I have a modem blaster DI5630-4. Recently this modem begin to engage the telephone line even with power off. I came in one morning after a storm and discovered I had no phone service. At least I thought I had no phone service because I had no dial tone. While checking the lines I noticed that I got a dial tone after disconnecting the computer. Soon after I plugged phone line back into modem I would loose dial tone. If I attempt to to connect to internet I'm told modem is being used. Diagnostics states this devise is functioning properly. Yeah right. Could the modem have been damaged by storm. It was plugged into surge protector. No other phone or computer sames to have been damaged. I removed modem from computer and plugged it into phone line. After few moments dial tone is lost. How can the modem engage the phone line with no power source. Is there something that can be done to stop the modem that wont stop?

john8pies

Post by john8pies »

(Love your atavar by the way!) Can`t really help without being "on-site" and having a good look at it - any friends or relations who could help you? - but made me think of the old saying (think it was Bill Myers), "The easiest way to get rich is by being able to fix computer problems, as those computers are ALWAYS going wrong". Mine too!
LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Thanks! But don’t think it can be fixed. I have replaced it. But reluctant to throw it away until the fat lady sings, LOL.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

LWR VENTURES wrote: I have a modem blaster DI5630-4. Recently this modem begin to engage the telephone line even with power off. I came in one morning after a storm and discovered I had no phone service. At least I thought I had no phone service because I had no dial tone. While checking the lines I noticed that I got a dial tone after disconnecting the computer. Soon after I plugged phone line back into modem I would loose dial tone. If I attempt to to connect to internet I'm told modem is being used. Diagnostics states this devise is functioning properly. Yeah right. Could the modem have been damaged by storm. It was plugged into surge protector. No other phone or computer sames to have been damaged. I removed modem from computer and plugged it into phone line. After few moments dial tone is lost. How can the modem engage the phone line with no power source. Is there something that can be done to stop the modem that wont stop?

modems have mechanical relays on them. if they 'stick' or freeze in the wrong position, it can leave the card in such a state that if a phone line is plugged into it, it will always be 'off the hook'.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Can this sticking relay be reversed? And one more question. After installing the new modem. The computer will turn it self on if the phone rings. How can I prevent this? Thanks for your Help!
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

LWR VENTURES wrote: Can this sticking relay be reversed? And one more question. After installing the new modem. The computer will turn it self on if the phone rings. How can I prevent this? Thanks for your Help!
the relays are typically solid-state - you'd have to unsolder and remove then replace. would cost more than the modem card.

check the BIOS of your computer. there should be an option somewhere called "wake on RING" (along with "wake on LAN"). turn that off and it should fix that.
LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

I did see the turn on ring and disabled that. I will go back and check for the LAN thing. Thanks!
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

LWR VENTURES wrote: I did see the turn on ring and disabled that. I will go back and check for the LAN thing. Thanks!
wake on LAN shouldn't make a difference - that's only for ethernet. there may also be a setting in the device hardware properties in windows.
LWR VENTURES

Post by LWR VENTURES »

I checked through the properties for the device. Did not see anything that would cause that. I do remember reading on some other board, others had same problem. Just don’t remember what the fix was. If I find it I will let you know. Thanks!

Return to “Computers Internet”