Cider!

Bill Sikes

Cider!

Post by Bill Sikes »

Last night I was drinking some Henry Westons Vintage Reserve Cider. This is available at Tesco for £1.57, and is one of the nicest easily available bottled ciders that I have tasted for absolutely ages.

http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Do *you* like cider?
Bill Sikes

Cider!

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bill Sikes wrote: Do *you* like cider?

I'm expecting a lot of "I haven't tried this since I was 16 & drank a lot of it and threw up" replies. Hopefully I'll be disappointed.
Bothwell

Cider!

Post by Bothwell »

Bill, cider the drink of kings IMO. I had some Black Sheep (organic not sure of the maker) last summer it is 9.4% and by god it felt it. I had a bollocking of the Doc for too much scrumpy but I still have the occasional pint. Had some great stuff from Brittany last year, really cloudy like I remember it used to be when they had tapped barrells in all my local pubs in Gloucestershire.

Have you ever tried Perry, went to a real ale festival a few years ago which was as usual populated by bikers or men (and women) with beards and tankards on chains, they had some perry that was 11% tasted just like pear juice, no kick at all until you stood up after a couple, bloody great stuff, ideal sweet drink for "the Ladies or the only gay in the village"
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Bill Sikes

Cider!

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bothwell wrote: Bill, cider the drink of kings IMO. I had some Black Sheep (organic not sure of the maker) last summer it is 9.4% and by god it felt it. I had a bollocking of the Doc for too much scrumpy but I still have the occasional pint. Had some great stuff from Brittany last year, really cloudy like I remember it used to be when they had tapped barrells in all my local pubs in Gloucestershire.

I went to a pub like that some years ago, they didn't sell any beer, just cider. I have spent some fair time, fruitlessly, trying to track it down. That I can't remember where it is goes without saying.

9.4% is very strong for cider! I've just looked at Weston's site, they want nearly 28 quid for what you can buy in Tesco for 19!!! However, if you are interested, there's Thatchers, in Sandford, Somerset deliver for nothing.

Bothwell wrote: Have you ever tried Perry, went to a real ale festival a few years ago which was as usual populated by bikers or men (and women) with beards and tankards on chains, they had some perry that was 11% tasted just like pear juice, no kick at all until you stood up after a couple, bloody great stuff, ideal sweet drink for "the Ladies or the only gay in the village"

Oi! I quite like perry.... I used to buy the odd botle at Thatchers, en passant. They stopped doing it for a while, but are making it again now. Perry is actually quite widely sold "dressed up" to look like wine, for some reason... e.g. "Lambrini". "Bellabrusco", etc. Of course, "Babycham" is perry, but IIRC only 5% ABV.
Bothwell

Cider!

Post by Bothwell »

There is a cider only pub called the Monkey house in Depftord near Pershore in Hereford and Worcs if you are ever down that way.

There was also one called The Bluebell near Alcester in Warwickshire, not sue if that is still open though
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Bill Sikes

Cider!

Post by Bill Sikes »

Bothwell wrote: There is a cider only pub called the Monkey house in Depftord near Pershore in Hereford and Worcs if you are ever down that way.

There was also one called The Bluebell near Alcester in Warwickshire, not sue if that is still open though

Thank you. I will now have to visit.... they're not too far apart, which is good. Are they "enthusiast's" pubs, or simply "locals"?

Have you come across cider in the 'States?
Punk_Grunge

Cider!

Post by Punk_Grunge »

Bill Sikes;23229 wrote: Do *you* like cider?

Course I do. The taste lasts forever in ya mouth. :wah:
kazalala

Cider!

Post by kazalala »

I like Cider but it dont like me much:( i can only have a couple if i drank it all night on a night out say,, i would have a porrly tum tum next day:-1

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Chookie

Cider!

Post by Chookie »

I quite like a Koparberg (sp?)
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
kazalala

Cider!

Post by kazalala »

Pinky;648724 wrote: Drinking wine tonight, but I have some cider in too just in case I run out!:o

Im drinking wine too:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Post by CrazyCruizChick »

I hate Cider its a secret killer.
kazalala

Cider!

Post by kazalala »

Pinky;648746 wrote: Yay!!! Here's to you then Kaz! *Pink raises glass*

Cheers:D I havent got Cider in case i run out tho... but i have got another bottle of wine:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Cider!

Post by kazalala »

Pinky;648752 wrote: Me too, but just in case I go on a marathon or something! I always keep back up!

:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl ( i have Whisky:sneaky: )

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648743 wrote: I suppose if you got run over by a Taunton Cider lorry that could be true.

No I didn't drink it, it was my Mum who was an alcoholic & cider was what she liked drinking and she ended up very ill by it, it was over a long period of time until she became very ill indeed thankfully she doesn't drink it anymore but you can end up with liver problems that will never recover.

Thats why I dont like it.
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648796 wrote: I never drank it in my brothers pub (The star of the West) in union street, i saw blokes crap em selves in that pub, they looked like death warmed up. My brothers attitude was as long as they shove their money over the bar they can do as they please. Anybody that has heard of Union Street in Plymouth will know what i mean.

That's fine I just don't like what cider dose to all people who end up drinking it I just care.

Maybe to much.
littlemissgiggle

Cider!

Post by littlemissgiggle »

I love cider,

cider and black and cider shandy :p

unfortunately :-1 i don't have any wine or cider tonight so i am getting pissed on good old tea :wah: :thinking:
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648817 wrote: I know what you mean, i like it but very seldom drink it because of what it does to me.:(

Just look after your liver OK!! :) :p
littlemissgiggle

Cider!

Post by littlemissgiggle »

Pinky;648819 wrote: You should come and join me and Wendybird when we meet up with Hammy in West Yorkshire in Aug!!! It'll be a right p1ssfest!!!:D

I will definitely be up for that, keep me posted

thanks Pinky :-4
Mia

Cider!

Post by Mia »

I am not realy into cider or beer as it means too many visits to the bathroom. I am a whisky drinker and have had a few tonight.It sure helps you sleep lol
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648849 wrote: OOOooo you got me thinking of onions and mashed spud now.:D

:wah: love the way you change a subject :rolleyes: HANNIBLE!
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648856 wrote: Thats not changing the subject, liver and onions, dare i wake wifey up.:wah:

:wah: :wah:
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648862 wrote: She is the only one who knows where the kitchen is.:wah:

typical :wah:
CrazyCruizChick

Cider!

Soberano;648887 wrote: Secret passageways and all that.;) nudge nudge wink wink a nods as good as a blink to a blind man.

What the feck am i on about, Pinky, start talking sh1te, get me out of this mess will you.

Good night to you! & god bless :)

Return to “Drugs, Alcohol Tobacco”