Is There Life After Retirement

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Post by cars »

Hello Forum Readers, I Am Hoping Some Of You May Want To Give Me Your Perspective And Some Pointers On Retirement. I Am Supposed To Retire Next Month, But I Am Afraid. To My Wife She Thinks Thats Crazy. As I Have Been Working All My Life To Get To Retirement. In My Mind I Think I Want To Work Until The End Of January 05. It Will Increase My Pension By About $900 /year, Every Little Bit Will Help. As It Will Then Be A Fixed Income Forever. But Now That I Know Work Will End Soon I Can't Help But Feel That I Am Waisting My Time There, I Have These Strange Feelings. My Biggest Fear Is That I Will Drive My Wife Nuts Once Retired, As I Have This Strong Feeling That I Will Not Be Able To Just Stay Home And Not Have A Purpose Anymore. Some Friends (not Retired)say Just Keep Busy, But That May Be Easier Said Than Done. I Plan To Join An "old Man's Gym" (off Peak Hrs) And Start Off Slowly, God Knows I Need The Exersize. I Currently Work In An Office, At A Desk Job. I Also Feel That Everything Good I Ever Did For The Company Will Be Forgotten When I Leave. It's Like A Part Of Me Dies, While Going Through It I Did Not Realize That Working Was So Important To Me, Until Now That It Will Be Ending. I Also Don't Want To Work There Till I Dorp Dead, Again As I Said I Have Strange Feelings. Replies Appreciated.
Cars :)
Paula

Post by Paula »

You sound scared, a bit depressed? Is there still Dear Abby? If you are concerned about driving your wife nuts, she needs to get a reality check, you worked hard and now its time for you. Get tough and think about yourself. :-5 are you sure this is a (real)?
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's not change that is the problem it's how you decide you will deal with it.

Work is what you do not what you are. If your personal identity is tied up in being employed you have a problem. Work isn't important to you per se it's the bits around it

Unless you are actually mentally ill (depressed?) you can decide how you feel whether you are happy or not.

There are two kinds of worry, the kind you can do something about like you don't like your job, in which case why are you worrying take steps to change what you do.

If it is something you cannot change like imminent retirement or there are no jobs to change to worrying won't help decide what you can do to enjoy the situation. feeling you are less than you were is a state of mind not a fact.

You can always stay around forums like this and become an opinionated old fart, argue with complete strangers on the other side of the world and have all sorts of entertainment.

Change your habits. Buy a Harley and go across america. They make sense in the US, in the UK they are idiotic as they can't go round corners. People take them out and polish them then put them back in the garage because they rust if you take them out in the rain. If you can't afford a motor bike get a pushbike, get a tandem and embarrass all your grandchildren when you go and visit them.

If you don't want a Harley, get a moped or a really naff car, the kind that says I don't care what people think. Be different sell your pick up. Do a university degree in a subject you have always wanted to do. Do they have an Open University equivalent in the US?
Paula

Post by Paula »

I cannot imagine complete retirement, we have a family business, out of our home. We have assorted buildings that we work out of, i will always be involved until death, we are the 5th generation here to work the land. Retirement is to me a person who worked for some-one not themselves? Bye the way, i am not an old fart either, this computer never shuts off, we use it for everything, (no books run here.) cheerio, happy columbus day. no harleys please.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
cars

Post by cars »

gmc wrote: It's not change that is the problem it's how you decide you will deal with it.

Work is what you do not what you are. If your personal identity is tied up in being employed you have a problem. Work isn't important to you per se it's the bits around it

Unless you are actually mentally ill (depressed?) you can decide how you feel whether you are happy or not.

There are two kinds of worry, the kind you can do something about like you don't like your job, in which case why are you worrying take steps to change what you do.

If it is something you cannot change like imminent retirement or there are no jobs to change to worrying won't help decide what you can do to enjoy the situation. feeling you are less than you were is a state of mind not a fact.

You can always stay around forums like this and become an opinionated old fart, argue with complete strangers on the other side of the world and have all sorts of entertainment.

Change your habits. Buy a Harley and go across america. They make sense in the US, in the UK they are idiotic as they can't go round corners. People take them out and polish them then put them back in the garage because they rust if you take them out in the rain. If you can't afford a motor bike get a pushbike, get a tandem and embarrass all your grandchildren when you go and visit them.

If you don't want a Harley, get a moped or a really naff car, the kind that says I don't care what people think. Be different sell your pick up. Do a university degree in a subject you have always wanted to do. Do they have an Open University equivalent in the US?
Thankyou gmc for your input, you made several interesting points that make good sense to me. I like "work is what you do, not what you are"! Not too sure about getting a Harley yet. Cars
cars

Post by cars »

Paula wrote: I cannot imagine complete retirement, we have a family business, out of our home. We have assorted buildings that we work out of, i will always be involved until death, we are the 5th generation here to work the land. Retirement is to me a person who worked for some-one not themselves? Bye the way, i am not an old fart either, this computer never shuts off, we use it for everything, (no books run here.) cheerio, happy columbus day. no harleys please.
Paula, thanks for your replies. As to your other reply, yes I am depressed to my dissmay, as I did not realize how important work was to me until now. I am trying to work on that, and think of all the good things I can do with my "free time". Travel, Fish, Sight see, visit relatives & friends, golf, take walks, & yes even a P/T job, etc.

As you now mentioned you will never fully retire, I can seen that around me now. I went to a new Doctor yesterday, in talking he mentioned he was "83", he said he likes helping people. He sure has a lot of experience! I am now beginning to take notice of all the older folks working at various odd jobs around here. I assumed it was for the addiditonal money, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe they just need to be around people. Cars
Suresh Gupta

Post by Suresh Gupta »

cars wrote: Hello Forum Readers, I Am Hoping Some Of You May Want To Give Me Your Perspective And Some Pointers On Retirement.....My Biggest Fear Is That I Will Drive My Wife Nuts Once Retired, As I Have This Strong Feeling That I Will Not Be Able To Just Stay Home And Not Have A Purpose Anymore. Some Friends (not Retired)say Just Keep Busy, But That May Be Easier Said Than Done....I Also Feel That Everything Good I Ever Did For The Company Will Be Forgotten When I Leave....

A large number of people will feel the same on the eve of retirement. Rather than worrying about things you have mentioned it will be better to plan your retirement life. Let me share with you my experience with my retirment and life after that. Circumstances forced retirement on me eight years before than the actual date of retirement. If evetything was OK then I would have retired in July 2006. I was not ready for sudden retirement. It has upset all my plans. But you have some time to makeyour plans.

I took the situation as it came to me. I considered that it was the end of one chapter and start of another chapter in my life. I continued working. The job I selected for me was the utilization of what I learned during my employment. I had worked in India's National Standards Body in Standards making, quality and system certification, conformity testing etc. Now I am a trainer and consultant in these areas. I have found to my surprise that these years after retirement have been the most productive period of my life. My family members love me. For them there was no discontinuation in my work. Now I earn more than waht I was earning during my regular employment. This is all God's grace. The key is that one should look at the situation being faced by him in a positive manner.

I hope that you will look at the coming change in your life with positive attitude. I will pray for you. God will be at your side and give you success in your life after retirement from one job.
Spread love not hate

Suresh Gupta

http://www.betterlife4all.com
cars

Post by cars »

Suresh Gupta wrote: A large number of people will feel the same on the eve of retirement. Rather than worrying about things you have mentioned it will be better to plan your retirement life. Let me share with you my experience with my retirment and life after that. Circumstances forced retirement on me eight years before than the actual date of retirement. If evetything was OK then I would have retired in July 2006. I was not ready for sudden retirement. It has upset all my plans. But you have some time to makeyour plans.

I took the situation as it came to me. I considered that it was the end of one chapter and start of another chapter in my life. I continued working. The job I selected for me was the utilization of what I learned during my employment. I had worked in India's National Standards Body in Standards making, quality and system certification, conformity testing etc. Now I am a trainer and consultant in these areas. I have found to my surprise that these years after retirement have been the most productive period of my life. My family members love me. For them there was no discontinuation in my work. Now I earn more than waht I was earning during my regular employment. This is all God's grace. The key is that one should look at the situation being faced by him in a positive manner.

I hope that you will look at the coming change in your life with positive attitude. I will pray for you. God will be at your side and give you success in your life after retirement from one job.
Thankyou Suresh Gupta for your words of wisdom. I find some comfort in what you have to say. It makes me feel like I can be productive in many other ways!
valerie

Post by valerie »

My father retired 16 years ago at 62, and we always tease him about we don't

know what he did BEFORE he retired. He really enjoys himself, I know.

Have you thought of volunteering in some way? Maybe there are new

business start-ups who could use your years of knowledge. Or help other

seniors who aren't doing quite so well as you are.

I am a homemaker with no kids, there isn't any retirement age for me I'm

always going to have to do it, but I love it and I do take my retirement in

small doses as I go...

Hang in there. Always remember that it could be so much worse. Look

around you. You will be alright. Lean on people if you have to. And I don't

think you will just be forgotten, in my work experience that was never the way

it happened!!

Take care

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

cars

Post by cars »

valerie wrote: My father retired 16 years ago at 62, and we always tease him about we don't

know what he did BEFORE he retired. He really enjoys himself, I know.

Have you thought of volunteering in some way? Maybe there are new

business start-ups who could use your years of knowledge. Or help other

seniors who aren't doing quite so well as you are.

I am a homemaker with no kids, there isn't any retirement age for me I'm

always going to have to do it, but I love it and I do take my retirement in

small doses as I go...

Hang in there. Always remember that it could be so much worse. Look

around you. You will be alright. Lean on people if you have to. And I don't

think you will just be forgotten, in my work experience that was never the way

it happened!!

Take care

:-6

valeire, thankyou for your reply, you make good sound sense. I will look into volunteer jobs if need be. I hear they can give one a very rewarding feeling.

cars

Return to “General Chit Chat”