Air Bags: Need to know

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I was a witness to a head on car crash the other morning. Thankfully the drivers of both cars were OK other than minor injuries; however here is something that you may want to know. I was aware of this but not to the extent that I saw.

When airbags are deployed they more or less explode open, I am not sure what is used to do this, however what people should be aware of is that after deployed they produce a strong burning smell and as they deflate, they can actually fill a car with smoke.

If people are not aware of this, as one of the individuals in the accident was not, a person could actually think that the car is on fire. There would be nothing worse than for starters being trapped in a car after an accident, but then to also think that the car was on fire or something. It could also be very dangerous if people panic to get out they could be hit by other cars if in a busy place.

So be aware of this if God forbid, you ever have the misfortune of being in an accident.

:driving:
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Hi Mike - believe it or not I was having a conversation about this with someone the other day.

It's a very scarey thought:(
Very nearly perfect ... :D
minks

Post by minks »

That is good insight thank you.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

The smell is the propellant gas venting, it's not smoky. The "smoke" is the lubricating dust used in packing the bag, talcum powder or a similar agent. It gets dispersed into the air as the bag inflates.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

spot;642055 wrote: The smell is the propellant gas venting, it's not smoky. The "smoke" is the lubricating dust used in packing the bag, talcum powder or a similar agent. It gets dispersed into the air as the bag inflates.

How come you know so much??:-6 ;)
Very nearly perfect ... :D
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

spot;642055 wrote: The smell is the propellant gas venting, it's not smoky. The "smoke" is the lubricating dust used in packing the bag, talcum powder or a similar agent. It gets dispersed into the air as the bag inflates.

I knew it wasn’t dangerous, but if you don’t know it could be very scary. One person I know was injured in an accident and was begging people to get her out of the car because she thought it was on fire. A person would already be freaked out, or in shock after an accident, being unaware of this could make them panic.

:driving:
spot

Post by spot »

They're a shocking waste of resources, unlike seat belts. They cost several million pounds - probably closer to ten million than two million - for each life they save, which could be far better spent on other more effective safety measures. I wear glasses and I very much dislike even sitting in front of one. I travel in a back seat whenever I have a choice just to get rid of my constant awareness that there's an explosive bag in front of my face.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I followed a car driven by a young girl once. On a bend along a country lane she rolled the car and ended up in a ditch upside down. I saw smoke and expected the car to burst into flames any second. The girl was trapped and I couldn't get the door open. She was a bit confused and inverted and I thought "she might be the last thing I ever see if this baby explodes". Eventually after some rocking, the door opened and I dragged her through. She wanted to get back inside to get her mobile phone so I just grabbed her and ran. When the firemen arrived they said the smoke was just from the airbag, so basically, I'd soiled my thong for nothing :o

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
spot

Post by spot »

Youre a brave lad, Krammy, and I'm proud of you.

You want a cheaper more effective safety measure than airbags, off the top of my head? Every speed sign to have a wifi broadcast, every new car to have a wifi receiver to pick up and remember the current limit, and a recorded broadcast voice of Margaret Thatcher berating the occupants when they exceed it. She can record hundreds of alternative messages so it doesn't get boring. That'd stop excessive speed at a stroke except among the hard-core Conservative nostalgists, thereby selectively reducing their numbers in the population.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Uncle Kram;642349 wrote: I followed a car driven by a young girl once. On a bend along a country lane she rolled the car and ended up in a ditch upside down. I saw smoke and expected the car to burst into flames any second. The girl was trapped and I couldn't get the door open. She was a bit confused and inverted and I thought "she might be the last thing I ever see if this baby explodes". Eventually after some rocking, the door opened and I dragged her through. She wanted to get back inside to get her mobile phone so I just grabbed her and ran. When the firemen arrived they said the smoke was just from the airbag, so basically, I'd soiled my thong for nothing :o

You wear a Thong???
seany

Post by seany »

airbags blow out and deflate in the blink of an eye. you won't have time to be afraid. just wear your seat belt or the bag will nock your head off :-5
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

I have my own inbuilt air bags......they dont smoke but boy their hot:wah::wah::wah:

thanks for heads up mike:sneaky:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I'm like spot, I don't like the idea of those things exploding in my face. I have my seat adjusted as far back that I can go and still touch the pedals. I had a friend who was in an accident and she got two black eyes from the airbag going off.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
spot

Post by spot »

A friend of mine was a passenger in a 40 mile an hour crash last September. She had three stitches in her forehead which I can only surmise came from the cracked plastic cover flying into her face with the bag expanding behind it. She had black eyes as well and concussion that took ten days to clear properly.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Evidently, air bags are meant to save your life.........but you can still get injured.

Your death vs temporary injury. ?? I think I'll take the injury.

I do wear my seat belt, but I'm a bit wary of those hidden air bags.

Thanks for the info about the "smoke".

:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

If youre afraid of the bag exploding in your face why not fill the bag with something fun, like cotton candy ?

That way you might actually look forward to getting into a wreck.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ravioli !
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General Chit Chat”