Did you ever think you'd see the day?

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Did you ever think you'd see the day when Alex Salmond, Rev Ian Paisley & Martin McGuinness in power signing a joint statement pledging the support of both governments to work together.?

Mr Salmond's speech coincided with the signing of a joint statement with the Rev Ian Paisley, Northern Ireland's First Minister, and his deputy, Martin McGuinness, pledging the support of both governments to work together to try to secure better deals from the Westminster government on tourism, higher education, transport and the pursuit of a cut in corporation tax. They intend to involve the Welsh administration once the shape of that organisation becomes clear.

These developments will confirm the view of some Westminster politicians that Mr Salmond's agenda will be dominated by picking fights with London - something the First Minister denies.

Mr Salmond said he wanted to build "stronger relationships with our closest neighbours".

He added: "We have only to glance at Scandinavia to see how effective that can be. There, the small and prosperous nations of Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland and Sweden work successfully together in the Nordic Council to promote their common interests.

"The members of the Nordic Council are free to take decisions that are right for their people in their own context but they can also work together, as equals, where it makes sense."

source http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=956892007
Musiclover89

Post by Musiclover89 »

I'd like for this to happen this whole Scotland & England thing does my head in i have nuttin against English people their nice people i have friends & family from England so to live finally under one big country would be nice
"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight', people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.' " Michael Jackson
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

the guy where i was working today was having a right rant saying that scottish mp's were ruling england and we were being robbed ,and that you guys get loads of things for free that us english have to pay for ,i reckon now your oil is gone go rule yourselves :wah: :wah:

what do you guys think :) :)
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

jimbo;640783 wrote: .........you guys get loads of things for free that us english have to pay for ,i reckon now your oil is gone go rule yourselves..........

He should get his facts right - the oil ain't gone - but it is ours!!!!!!!!!!
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Chookie;640854 wrote: He should get his facts right - the oil ain't gone - but it is ours!!!!!!!!!!

thats what i thought its ours :wah: :wah:
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

No, Jimbo, it's ours (actually, it's mine, all mine).

We've been supporting you sponging Sassunachs for far too long...............:wah: :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

jimbo;640783 wrote: the guy where i was working today was having a right rant saying that scottish mp's were ruling england and we were being robbed ,and that you guys get loads of things for free that us english have to pay for ,i reckon now your oil is gone go rule yourselves :wah: :wah:

what do you guys think :) :)

He's right in that Scottish MP's are helping get passed legislation that will not have effect in Scotland-foundation hospitals being the most recent. The MSP's didn't dare introduce them up here. Also what are they doing voting on english education bills.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/re ... -02586.pdf

Now that all the oil revenues have been used up westminster won't be so bothered if the SNP get in-except if they lose the scottish labour vote they lose the next election. Of course it does mean that England will have to start earning their own living instead of pinching our oil.-next you will be wanting us to pipe down your water when it runs out in the south east .

As to us being subsidised tell your friend he's wrong. Scotland has 8.6% of the UK population but pays 11.6% of the total tax revenue, we receive back 3.4%

http://www.alba.org.uk/scotching/biglie.html

Course without us you would still be walking on dirt tracks in cars without pneumatic tyres (except he was Irish but never mind) with no TV to watch, planes would run in to each other without radar there would be no oil industry, anaesthetics, penicillin. No doubt you would have thought of them all eventually but without us scots life as you know it would be lacking a surprising amount.

Then again maybe you blame us for Tony Blair and Gordon Brown : I would take bets on GB not keeping his seat at the next election-except I don't gamble
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

gmc;640869 wrote: Then again maybe you blame us for Tony Blair and Gordon Brown : I would take bets on GB not keeping his seat at the next election-except I don't gamble

I wouldn't think that was a gamble - more like a racing certainty (whatever that is).
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Em so back on track :-2

Did you ever think you'd see the day when Alex Salmond, Rev Ian Paisley & Martin McGuinness in power signing a joint statement pledging the support of both governments to work together.?
gmc

Post by gmc »

buttercup;641026 wrote: Em so back on track :-2

:o

No and yes. All three have such different views so on the face of it the differences seem so vast that it is hard to imagine them agreeing to anything. On the other hand there is a difference between passionately held political beliefs where you can appreciate the passion others might have although you disagree with them, and extreme political beliefs where there is no room for compromise with anyone who doesn't share your world view. All three are passionate but would you describe them as extremists? So all in all not really. Why should politicians not at least work together on those things they agree on? Following the party line and regardless and not working with the opposition party where you agree on issues is really rather childish.

Return to “Scotland”