Non-sequiturs

spot

Non-sequiturs

Post by spot »

I was left wondering what amused me, after a recent thread. Well, this did, and it's a quote that will stay with me for some time:

"We love entertainment," said Goodman, who came from Philadelphia to see the pageant for her first time. "Anything that's positive."

Although no official tally is taken, the gay community makes up a large part of the pageant's audience.What on earth was the sub-editor doing??

It's from http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/sep ... ews12.html which is something of a hoot from start to finish.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Non-sequiturs

Post by spot »

As it happens, it was the Miss World Pageant 1997 in Atlanta City, and I was reading the Mitchegan Daily in the early hours of this morning and found the story then.

The humor, though, has nothing to do with any of those details. It's the sub-editor's job, among other things, to suppress jarringly inappropriate and unintentional imagery, and he failed. To say that you go to a pageant to see positive things, and in the next sentence to say that many gays go to the pageant, is unfortunate when you consider the juxtaposition of "gay" and "positive". Think euphemisms for HIV, flopstock.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Word Games”