Cystitis

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

I suffer quite often from this nasty urinary tract infection and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for easing/curing it?

if any of you ladies have ever had it, you will know how uncomfortable this is and miserable it can make you

thank you in advance :)
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Cystitis

Post by abbey »

Poor you. :yh_hugs

Thankfully, i dont suffer from it, but i have been told that cranberry juice is suppsed to be effective.

.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

I have tried cranberry juice and cranberry tablets but have never found them very effective but thank you:-4
saffy
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am

Cystitis

Post by saffy »

Have you worked out why you keep getting it?

Drink water..lots of it.

And go to the docs to get a script for antibiotics.

But you really need to identify why you keep getting it.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

I have done everything i can think of to stop getting it, totally cut out coffee, alcohol,various things to do with sex which i won't go into:lips:



I am fed up of keep going to the doctor just to be given antibiotics, that is their get out clause which they always resort to, never help me find a cause or give me any other help:-5
saffy
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am

Cystitis

Post by saffy »

Knickers not too tight?

Wiping front to back?

erm...lol

It has to be asked.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Its ok, friends ask these things all the time

yes to both, i have totally cut out wearing thongs now coz i find they aggravate it a bit :(
saffy
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am

Cystitis

Post by saffy »

You're not holding onto your wee for too long are you?

It's really important to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, the bladder will not send the signal to the brain that it needs to be emptied until it gets to a certain amount of fluid in it.

If you don't drink enough that small amount of wee will sit in the bladder for ages and you can get infections from that.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

thanks for your help saffy but i've been suffering on and off with this for four years so i have tried lots of things, i must admit i don't drink as much water as i probably should but even when i do it doesn't seem to help...

the most uncomfortable thing often is that when i have a bout of it, i constantly need to pee...like all the time:-5 makes going out so awkward
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

hope i didn't offend you saffy, i realise my response sounded a little snappy, sorry!
saffy
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:05 am

Cystitis

Post by saffy »

lol..christ woman you didn't offend me. I work for the NHS, it'd take more than that.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

oh right good :wah: its got so annoying, i never know when it is gonna strike :mad: I have started to worry about going out just in case it starts up again

it seems to get worse around the time of my period as well but i have been told there is no link:confused:
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

Cystitis

Post by CARLA »

Beautyful,

Cystitis in an inflammation or infection of the urinary bladder (UTI) causes by bacteria in the Urine. It can spread to the Kidneys if not treated properly. Have your doctor refer you to a urologist, (specialist in urinary disorders), or a nephrologist, (specialist in Kidneys).

Or you may simply need to take antibiotics longer and take a different type. Don't let it go on like this you deserve a diagnois that will cure this, not just treating the symptoms. Insist on seeing a Urologist at least.

I suffered from Cystitis as well, forgot to mention that.

Good luck. ;)

P.S. Also no perfume in any feminine products at all. They will cause a UTI quicker than anything. Cotton undies if you can will help as well. All nylon undies not good. No perfume in your toilet paper as well unsencented everthing is what you need, also includes your laundry soap, and the soap you use to bathe in if they are heavely PERFUMED they will cause you problems.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Patsy Warnick
Posts: 4567
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:53 am

Cystitis

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Beautyful

Serious - since you've tried different remedies - Have you seen a Doctor ?

Cleansing your system - water - water

Do you drink Vinegar?

Suggesting you drink Vinegar - example - pickle juice (dill pickle), eat yogart.

Both are very benefical - and water - try this see if it doesn't help - go natural on cleansing your system

Good luck

Patsy
User avatar
Sheryl
Posts: 8498
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:08 am

Cystitis

Post by Sheryl »

Have they done a culture on your urine? I had recurring infections, and a culture revealed it was staph infection, which can be serious.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Patsy Warnick;634705 wrote: Beautyful

Serious - since you've tried different remedies - Have you seen a Doctor ?

Cleansing your system - water - water

Do you drink Vinegar?

Suggesting you drink Vinegar - example - pickle juice (dill pickle), eat yogart.

Both are very benefical - and water - try this see if it doesn't help - go natural on cleansing your system

Good luck

Patsy


I have never heard about drinking vinegar before:confused: I may try that and yoghurt you say?

I have seen a doctor countless times and everytime they give me antibiotics which help for a while then it comes back :-5

thank you
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Pinky;634742 wrote: Ooh, I had a bit of that today, it seems to be wearing off now thank god!!

Cranberry tablets shift it fairly fast.


I have tried cranberry tablets and find they don't help me so you're lucky :p
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Sheryl;634843 wrote: Have they done a culture on your urine? I had recurring infections, and a culture revealed it was staph infection, which can be serious.


I have given urine samples and had tests on those,according to the doctor everything points to simple water infections, i just seem to get them a lot :-3
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 15657
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

Cystitis

Post by Betty Boop »

oooh poor you, I had an infection re-occur earlier in the year and it was agony plus it just makes you feel really rough!

Do you see the same doctor evrey time? Male or female? Is there a Nurse Practitioner you could see? They seem to be more on the ball and a lot more helpful. It does sound a bit like the anti-biotics are working to a certain extent but not killing the bacteria fully, wondering what antibiotics you are given each time? I know I was given some really strong ones that nearly wiped me out but it did the job. :)
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Cystitis

Post by RedGlitter »

I see you're in the UK, so I don't know if you guys have this over there, but I use a pill called Cystex.I buy it at the drugstore or grocery store. It's got something in it to stop the pain as well as something to clear up the infection and I've found it clears stuff up really well. That and about a gallon of plain water. But that's for taking when you have the problem, not for preventing it.

I don't know how to say this delicately, but cystitis can also be caused from sex; from bacteria being introduced around your urethra, so if you can, it's helpful to wash up before and after doing the deed and to use the bathroom right after, to flush out any possible bacteria. And if you ever use a lubricant, don't use Vaseline or anything with petrolatum or mineral oil in it; that traps bacteria.

I know how miserable it is to have. I would see a doctor about it.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

RedGlitter;635472 wrote: I see you're in the UK, so I don't know if you guys have this over there, but I use a pill called Cystex.I buy it at the drugstore or grocery store. It's got something in it to stop the pain as well as something to clear up the infection and I've found it clears stuff up really well. That and about a gallon of plain water. But that's for taking when you have the problem, not for preventing it.

I don't know how to say this delicately, but cystitis can also be caused from sex; from bacteria being introduced around your urethra, so if you can, it's helpful to wash up before and after doing the deed and to use the bathroom right after, to flush out any possible bacteria. And if you ever use a lubricant, don't use Vaseline or anything with petrolatum or mineral oil in it; that traps bacteria.

I know how miserable it is to have. I would see a doctor about it.


We have similar over the counter remedies here in the UK and they tend to help for a little while then it re-occurs :-5

Trust me,I do everything possible to prevent this happening including the washing before and after sex:wah:

thank you though
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Cystitis

Post by RedGlitter »

You're welcome, Beautyful.

If it comes back that often, I really would see a doctor or a gyn about it. There could be a good reason for its recurrence. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Pinky;636239 wrote: Blimey, I wish mine had been through having sex. At least it wouldn't be pointless agony then, hehe!:D


:wah: :wah:
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

Cystitis

Post by Mia »

How weird is this,I have been going through an attack for a couple of days now and I come here and see this thread. I have not had the problem for years and I do feel sorry for you if you get it so regular. I think what brought my attack was the fact it has been very warm here and I have been overdoing the booze as I had quite a lot given to me for my birthday and the celebration went on for a week lol. Yesterday I googled in Cystitis and found a group dedicated to it.It might be worth you joining that as the members must have an on going problem with it as well.

All the best.

Mia
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Mia;636493 wrote: How weird is this,I have been going through an attack for a couple of days now and I come here and see this thread. I have not had the problem for years and I do feel sorry for you if you get it so regular. I think what brought my attack was the fact it has been very warm here and I have been overdoing the booze as I had quite a lot given to me for my birthday and the celebration went on for a week lol. Yesterday I googled in Cystitis and found a group dedicated to it.It might be worth you joining that as the members must have an on going problem with it as well.

All the best.

Mia


aww thanks, i feel your pain! Thats another thing i have almost totally cut out, alcohol :( I will go find this group now, thanks for the tip, hope you get yours sorted out
User avatar
crazygal
Posts: 5049
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 pm

Cystitis

Post by crazygal »

beautyful;634671 wrote: I suffer quite often from this nasty urinary tract infection and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for easing/curing it?

if any of you ladies have ever had it, you will know how uncomfortable this is and miserable it can make you

thank you in advance :)


Sorry, not read the other replies as trying to catch up on threads but I suffer from this too sometimes although more as a kid. Don't have very hot baths although I still do, no bubble bath or soap down there, use a feminine wash, drink plenty of water and Cranberry Juice is a big help too.
911
Posts: 1974
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:58 am

Cystitis

Post by 911 »

Yes, yogurt is good for a lot of female problems but be sure not to eat dairy products while taking your antibiotics. Perhaps, if you have been, that's why it won't clear up.

And Crazy is absolutely right, no bubble baths, ever again!

Everyone is right in suggesting you should see a specialist before you get scar tissue on your bladder or kidneys.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
User avatar
crazygal
Posts: 5049
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 pm

Cystitis

Post by crazygal »

911;636840 wrote: Yes, yogurt is good for a lot of female problems but be sure not to eat dairy products while taking your antibiotics. Perhaps, if you have been, that's why it won't clear up.

And Crazy is absolutely right, no bubble baths, ever again!

Everyone is right in suggesting you should see a specialist before you get scar tissue on your bladder or kidneys.


I've never heard that dairy us bad while you're on antibiotics, learn something new every day eh! Live yogurt, tried that once down there, what a mess!
User avatar
fisher
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:53 am

Cystitis

Post by fisher »

Beautyful,

I spoke with my daughter who is a nurse practitioner and here are a few things she tells her patients. Not sure if its anything you already know or not:

Unfortunately-as a woman our anatomy is the culprit-our urethra(pee opening) is too close to other things...therefore bacteria easily can get up into our urinary tract or our bladder. Therefore if you are getting them that often- your anatomy may be to blame. i think you are doing most of the things such as, no tight clothing, no perfume or scents, IE; bath soap, use hypo allergic products, as well use Cotton underwear and try not to stay in a wet bathing suit too long( also helps protect against yeast infections...another great part of being a woman..) anyhow, drink lots of H2O- cranberry juice has been known to work for some people. Always wipe-front to back and you should always pee pre and post coital (IE; before and after sex) That is the main reason for UTI in woman..ever hear of Honeymoon cystitis???? when woman would all develop UTI on their honeymoon....

Also, if you keep getting them then your doctor should be looking at why?They are common in woman but shouldn't be occurring that frequently- and it should be investigated...sometimes there is a reason behind it...but sometimes not. Once its cleared up do they re-test your urine to make sure that it is fully cleared up??? Sometimes its not fully cleared up and then can reappear very easily.

Another thing we often do is put someone on prophylaxis antibiotics such as Bactrim (Septra) to prevent an infection...usually its given over the weekend, like Friday sat and Sunday and then stopped for a few days...again because of the whole honeymoon cystitis thing we usually go for the weekend.

Well- I think that is all I can think of- I hope this helps

Terrilee NP
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
beautyful
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:54 pm

Cystitis

Post by beautyful »

Oh thank you so much Fisher and thank your daughter for me as well :) I intend to go back to a doctor tomorrow and get this sorted although i think i have worked out I have what is known as a trigger food and oh no....it is chocolate :-1

Return to “Women's Health”