How do you dry yours?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
crazygal

How do you dry yours?

Post by crazygal »

Washing. I prefer mine dried outside, weather permitting. So much fresher, especially bed sheets then straight onto the bed, lush! I understand the use of tumble dryers, needs must an' all that but I don't get if you are able to, why not hang it outside? My friend has a huge garden but tumble dries everything.
Carl44

How do you dry yours?

Post by Carl44 »

i shake it :wah: :wah:
crazygal

How do you dry yours?

Post by crazygal »

jimbo;629886 wrote: i shake it :wah: :wah:

Eww, why do men do that? You still end up with a dribble in your undies.
SuzyB

How do you dry yours?

Post by SuzyB »

I hang outside if weather good, but if not, which is usually the case, it goes in the tumbler :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

CrazyCruizChick

How do you dry yours?

Post by CrazyCruizChick »

I always hang my washing out on the line if the weather is bad I will just stick them on all the radiators in the house, cant afford the tumble dryer bills.
beautyful

How do you dry yours?

Post by beautyful »

usually I prefer to hang it outside, gives it a nice fresh smell :-4 don't have a tumble dryer, so if weather is bad it usually sits on the radiators around the house :(
crazygal

How do you dry yours?

Post by crazygal »

CrazyCruizChick;629924 wrote: I always hang my washing out on the line if the weather is bad I will just stick them on all the radiators in the house, cant afford the tumble dryer bills.

Same here, I don't have a dryer anyway. The radiators I use or hang them in the bathroom, I have a line up over the bath.
WonderWendy3

How do you dry yours?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I only use the dryer (tumble dryer), I used to have a clothes line, but my ex pulled it out of the ground to make a statement and I've just never had another one put in....I love them in the summer time...I think I just added something to my "to do" list...well for my brother "to do-for ME"....:wah:
zinkyusa

How do you dry yours?

Post by zinkyusa »

I like to dry mine and then put lots of baby powder on it....erm, ah, what were we talking about?:yh_blush
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
WonderWendy3

How do you dry yours?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

zinkyusa;630120 wrote: I like to dry mine and then put lots of baby powder on it....erm, ah, what were we talking about?:yh_blush

Our delicates, evidentally YOU were too!!:yh_giggle
YZGI

How do you dry yours?

Post by YZGI »

WonderWendy3;630114 wrote: I only use the dryer (tumble dryer), I used to have a clothes line, but my ex pulled it out of the ground to make a statement and I've just never had another one put in....I love them in the summer time...I think I just added something to my "to do" list...well for my brother "to do-for ME"....:wah:
So his statement was that he was a clothes line post serial killer?:cool:
sunny104

How do you dry yours?

Post by sunny104 »

always in the dryer. :-6

hanging the wash outside just isn't as common here anymore! :-3
Lon

How do you dry yours?

Post by Lon »

crazygal;629885 wrote: Washing. I prefer mine dried outside, weather permitting. So much fresher, especially bed sheets then straight onto the bed, lush! I understand the use of tumble dryers, needs must an' all that but I don't get if you are able to, why not hang it outside? My friend has a huge garden but tumble dries everything.

Hanging clothes out of doors is a time waster, besides the clothes picking up pollens and other irritants. In addition, living near the sea gives the gulls every opportunity to decorate your laundry with their multi-colored droppings. Even inland, bird droppings can be a problem. Give me a dryer anytime.
WonderWendy3

How do you dry yours?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

YZGI;630152 wrote: So his statement was that he was a clothes line post serial killer?:cool:

good one:wah: ...no, he got mad at me, because I had a friend put the clothes line in for me, and well....anyway he got ticked off about WHO did it for me...it wasn't him...it wasn't the clothes lines fault...I miss Mr. Clothes line!:(
crazygal

How do you dry yours?

Post by crazygal »

Nothing beats the smell of outside I still think.
RedGlitter

How do you dry yours?

Post by RedGlitter »

I used to hang them sometimes. In summer here a pair of Levi's will be dry in about 6 minutes. For real. But I don't like the smell. Maybe it's because we're using water from a well and even with our water filter and softener, it still smells earthy when the clothes hang dry.

I like the dryer because everything comes out softer, more fragrant, and I don't have to iron.
Carl44

How do you dry yours?

Post by Carl44 »

RedGlitter;630723 wrote: I used to hang them sometimes. In summer here a pair of Levi's will be dry in about 6 minutes. For real. But I don't like the smell. Maybe it's because we're using water from a well and even with our water filter and softener, it still smells earthy when the clothes hang dry.

I like the dryer because everything comes out softer, more fragrant, and I don't have to iron.

i never iron my shirts ..... it makes my face appear less creased :thinking: :thinking:
RedGlitter

How do you dry yours?

Post by RedGlitter »

jimbo;630725 wrote: i never iron my shirts ..... it makes my face appear less creased :thinking: :thinking:

:wah: Silly guy!!
Nomad

How do you dry yours?

Post by Nomad »

Crazy weird. I was reading this article today.

Hanging the wash has meaning

Sasha Aslanian, Special to the Star Tribune

When the neighbors saw all the laundry flapping on the clothesline in my back yard, they politely asked if our dryer was broken. They seemed puzzled when I said I liked drying clothes on the line. Back in their native Vietnam, that's how everyone dried their clothes. America is a land of dryers churning in basements.

I've reclaimed line-drying. I like the sun on my face as I try to clip wet fabric in the wind.

The last day I ever spent with my grandmother we hung her wash. In her tidy yard in Seattle, under blue skies and a breeze from Puget Sound, I pinned her nightgowns and pink bedsheets between the tall metal posts. Then we settled in lawn chairs and put our feet up. I playfully tugged her sun hat over her face and sh! e giggled.

My grandmother was a champion of the domestic arts, with a rigorous schedule. Laundry on Mondays. As I took down the stiff clothes and bent them into squares, she watched me fumble with a fitted sheet.

"Sash," she called and slowly made her way to the line with her cane. She expertly nestled one corner inside another, then brought the last two corners inside. "Here," she said with satisfaction.

She died 10 years ago, and I've thought of her each week, as I tuck the four corners of my fitted sheets inside one another. My grandmother liked to line-dry the clothes. She liked the fresh smell of the sheets. Drying laundry in the sun was one of the few chores that hadn't changed since her girlhood on a tiny island in Norway. I know the view from that farm. She looked out at the sea. When I fold laundry or make her recipes, my hands repeat what hers had done.

But for me, line-drying clothes is more than a connection to my past. It ca! n be exotic.

When I was 20, Madame Furgé, my stern Pa! risian h ost mother, gave me an orientation to my wing of the apartment on Avenue Victor Hugo. She tsk-tsked about my long Americaine shower and gestured at how sloppy I had been, getting water on the floor. She reached to untie a rope in the shower and lowered a rack to show me where I would dry my laundry. One load per week.

Of course, in a Paris winter, in a steamy bathroom, laundry might take days to dry. The French were frugal with lights, appliances and leftovers, even wealthy people like the Furgés. World War II wasn't that long ago.

I came to associate the crunchy, linty feel of my line-dried black Paris street clothes with the Paris experience. Towels were stiff. What to Americans feels impoverished for me revives the thrill of Paris as a 20-year-old.

Today, hanging the wash doesn't fit my lifestyle at all. I work full-time and have two young daughters. My husband rolls his eyes at my insistence on doing things the slow way. What he doesn't ! know is that when I'm out back hanging clothes, I'm thinking about an old woman's girlhood in Norway and what Parisians do behind closed doors at the fanciest addresses.

Sasha Aslanian is a producer for American RadioWorks, the documentary unit of American Public Media.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

How do you dry yours?

Post by RedGlitter »

Good story, Nomad.

I can relate to a lot of that.
crazygal

How do you dry yours?

Post by crazygal »

Nomad;630759 wrote: Crazy weird. I was reading this article today.

Hanging the wash has meaning

Sasha Aslanian, Special to the Star Tribune

When the neighbors saw all the laundry flapping on the clothesline in my back yard, they politely asked if our dryer was broken. They seemed puzzled when I said I liked drying clothes on the line. Back in their native Vietnam, that's how everyone dried their clothes. America is a land of dryers churning in basements.

I've reclaimed line-drying. I like the sun on my face as I try to clip wet fabric in the wind.

The last day I ever spent with my grandmother we hung her wash. In her tidy yard in Seattle, under blue skies and a breeze from Puget Sound, I pinned her nightgowns and pink bedsheets between the tall metal posts. Then we settled in lawn chairs and put our feet up. I playfully tugged her sun hat over her face and sh! e giggled.

My grandmother was a champion of the domestic arts, with a rigorous schedule. Laundry on Mondays. As I took down the stiff clothes and bent them into squares, she watched me fumble with a fitted sheet.

"Sash," she called and slowly made her way to the line with her cane. She expertly nestled one corner inside another, then brought the last two corners inside. "Here," she said with satisfaction.

She died 10 years ago, and I've thought of her each week, as I tuck the four corners of my fitted sheets inside one another. My grandmother liked to line-dry the clothes. She liked the fresh smell of the sheets. Drying laundry in the sun was one of the few chores that hadn't changed since her girlhood on a tiny island in Norway. I know the view from that farm. She looked out at the sea. When I fold laundry or make her recipes, my hands repeat what hers had done.

But for me, line-drying clothes is more than a connection to my past. It ca! n be exotic.

When I was 20, Madame Furgé, my stern Pa! risian h ost mother, gave me an orientation to my wing of the apartment on Avenue Victor Hugo. She tsk-tsked about my long Americaine shower and gestured at how sloppy I had been, getting water on the floor. She reached to untie a rope in the shower and lowered a rack to show me where I would dry my laundry. One load per week.

Of course, in a Paris winter, in a steamy bathroom, laundry might take days to dry. The French were frugal with lights, appliances and leftovers, even wealthy people like the Furgés. World War II wasn't that long ago.

I came to associate the crunchy, linty feel of my line-dried black Paris street clothes with the Paris experience. Towels were stiff. What to Americans feels impoverished for me revives the thrill of Paris as a 20-year-old.

Today, hanging the wash doesn't fit my lifestyle at all. I work full-time and have two young daughters. My husband rolls his eyes at my insistence on doing things the slow way. What he doesn't ! know is that when I'm out back hanging clothes, I'm thinking about an old woman's girlhood in Norway and what Parisians do behind closed doors at the fanciest addresses.

Sasha Aslanian is a producer for American RadioWorks, the documentary unit of American Public Media.

That was so lovely to read, thanks :D
SpiderSam

How do you dry yours?

Post by SpiderSam »

I try to dry my washing on the line in the garden weather permitting. If not it's all over the radiators indoors which I hate. I have so far gone without a tumble dryer!
Nomad

How do you dry yours?

Post by Nomad »

How do you dry yours?

Under the scrotum then up the shaft I spose...I dont know.

Freak !
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

How do you dry yours?

Post by RedGlitter »

Nomad;652438 wrote: How do you dry yours?

Freak !

Nomad! What the hell's in the water out in Minnesota!!?

Um..I think I'm actually a little turned on....stop doing that to me....:-3
Madcow

How do you dry yours?

Post by Madcow »

:-4 oh my fellow Americans :-4

I prefer to use a dryer. Because its quicker. The clothes are softer. and there is nothing like clothes straight out of the dryer on a cold winter day.

How ever, it isn't the norm in the UK to use a dryer, as one can figure out just from reading this thread. And I get a lot of slack about it. ALOT. :-5
Betty Boop

How do you dry yours?

Post by Betty Boop »

Madcow;663906 wrote: :-4 oh my fellow Americans :-4

I prefer to use a dryer. Because its quicker. The clothes are softer. and there is nothing like clothes straight out of the dryer on a cold winter day.

How ever, it isn't the norm in the UK to use a dryer, as one can figure out just from reading this thread. And I get a lot of slack about it. ALOT. :-5

:wah: Do you not find that everything shrinks when dried constantly in the drier? They do for me.
Bryn Mawr

How do you dry yours?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Madcow;663906 wrote: :-4 oh my fellow Americans :-4

From my experience, the clothes are softer when allowed to blow on the line.

The difference could be that it's not so hot and arid here as in some parts of the US.
sunny104

How do you dry yours?

Post by sunny104 »

Freak !

*snort*

*choke*

:yh_rotfl
woppy71

How do you dry yours?

Post by woppy71 »

Freak !

Jeez buddy!! I 'aint laughed so much in years!! :wah::yh_rotfl
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Bondarcol

How do you dry yours?

Post by Bondarcol »

I also prefer to dry outside. Only in winter I use a clothes dryer.

Return to “Home Management”