Borderline retardation and low cognitive skills

A forum for our physically challenged members.
Debra

Post by Debra »

I was diagnose as low cognitive skills, borderline retardation. Most people don't want to be friends with me cause of this. I try not to let it bother me. My husband loves me unconditionally and he is perfectly normal person. I can make message boards so I do feel little bit better about myself that way. Sometimes I just get all depressed and sad at times.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Debra,

I think it took a lot of backbone for you to share that with us.

I'm sorry to know some people treat you unkindly. I don't know why people have to be so petty. But not everyone is! FG has a lot of nice people. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. I admire how you've just jumped in and started posting to us! :-6
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Debra;611493 wrote: I was diagnose as low cognitive skills, borderline retardation. Most people don't want to be friends with me cause of this. I try not to let it bother me. My husband loves me unconditionally and he is perfectly normal person. I can make message boards so I do feel little bit better about myself that way. Sometimes I just get all depressed and sad at times.

hey debra ,jimbo the moron here i can hardly read and write and i'm a total thicko compared to me your positively a genius :wah: if i can post here and make friends why cant you :D :D :-6
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

When I was about 13 or 14, my mother confessed to me that she and my father had been concerned that I was "slow". My mother was a good person, but that was perhaps not the kindest thing to tell a kid. It did bear out in the way other children treated me, however; I was socially awkward and in appearance bore a resemblance to that fat crew-cut kid with glasses in the Farside comic strips.

I only included the above to illustrate one essential and irrefutable fact: Some people are cruel, and all people are stupid at least part of the time.

Your writing ability belies the diagnosis, but in any case you have friends here, I think. :)

Post by 911 »

I, Rob;611542 wrote: When I was about 13 or 14, my mother confessed to me that she and my father had been concerned that I was "slow". My mother was a good person, but that was perhaps not the kindest thing to tell a kid. It did bear out in the way other children treated me, however; I was socially awkward and in appearance bore a resemblance to that fat crew-cut kid with glasses in the Farside comic strips.

I only included the above to illustrate one essential and irrefutable fact: Some people are cruel, and all people are stupid at least part of the time.

Your writing ability belies the diagnosis, but in any case you have friends here, I think. :)

Just what I was thinking.

Welcome and have fun. We're a motley crew but get on well.

You can say just about anything here and if it doesn't offend Jimbo, you'll be just fine! :D
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Debra;611493 wrote: I was diagnose as low cognitive skills, borderline retardation. Most people don't want to be friends with me cause of this. I try not to let it bother me. My husband loves me unconditionally and he is perfectly normal person. I can make message boards so I do feel little bit better about myself that way. Sometimes I just get all depressed and sad at times.

Debra, I am sorry that people can be so mean - why would anybody be like that. I know you will make plenty of friends here, everyone is so open and friendly. We have all shared our sad and happy times together here - its like one big family here. So, welcome to the family Debra.

Pheasy:-4
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Hi there Debra

I have worked with people with disabilities for about the past 25 years. The biggest thing I have learned is that you are capable of doing anything.

One thing we teach is Self Advocacy..standing up for yourself and not letting yourself be put down because you have a disability.

Look in your local phone book to see if you have an Advocacy Center. I would bet they can help you regain your self esteem.

By the way..your hubby sounds like a great guy.
Debra

Post by Debra »

Thanks all .... I am glad I got a new family of online friends... I feel like I belong here.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Debra...click on this link. It is for People First in Georgia..Self Advocacy. There is the number of a contact person there,

http://www.ihdd.uga.edu/main_menu.php?A ... D=31&DID=1
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Welcome, Debra...and give your hubby a hug from all of us.:)

Let me tell you a little about my daughter. She had occasional seizures as a child, but thanks to medication, they were controlled. She had a hard time in school, especially focusing on her studies. She was very active, but did not really talk that much. She was in the Special Olympics, enjoyed it, and did very well. She finally graduated from High School at nineteen, and we all were very proud of her.

She enjoys bingo,reading, and puzzles and being Auntie to her nieces and nephew. She is living with her Dad in another State and does the housekeeping for him. She gets a Social Security check every month. She calls me to chat...and in fact...just called me to wish me a Happy Mother's Day. I tell her that her calls always make me happy..which is indeed true. Just to hear her voice and chat makes my day. She is a grown woman now and seems to be happy. That is what I wish for her. I told her to make sure she does something for herself and, as I tell my sons, to be particular. She is a gentle, loving, giving soul and I am proud to be her mother. I love her...and miss her very much.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Debra

Post by Debra »

thanks for the link. I will save it
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Debra;611838 wrote: thanks for the link. I will save it

Hey Debra, come and join us in the chat room
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Pinky;611720 wrote: Debra, nice to meet you, take a leaf out of my book - stuff what anyone else thinks! The people worth knowing won't dislike you.:-6

Hope you're enjoying FG!

I agree! Welcome to fg and I can not wait to talk to you.:D

Return to “Physically Challenged”