Smoking Ban

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Smoking Ban

Post by cars »

I myself am not, nor have never been a Smoker. But unfortunetly my wife Smokes, (a lot) so I get plenty of second hand Smoke. Restaurants and Public meeting rooms can not even have a seperate room for Smokers.

I think that is wrong, Smokers choosing to Smoke should have their own rooms, seperate from the mass public. Leaving the Non-Smokers in a Smoke-free atmosphere! (Only Servers that are also smokers themselves would enter these rooms)

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE "SMOKING BAN" IN ALL PUBLIC PLACES, EVEN INCLUDING "BARS"? :-2
Cars :)
smithy87

Smoking Ban

Post by smithy87 »

I think its a good idea. I can't see the sense of a waitress asking you 'Smoking or non?' and you're sat about 2ft away from the smoking area.

If they wanted to give seperate rooms to smokers that's fine by me, I just don't like eating steak, chips and smoke.
spot

Smoking Ban

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Only Servers that are also smokers themselves would enter these roomsThat's where the separate rooms idea falls down. Servers are cattle, in the eyes of their head offices - I remember when Sunday Trading came in, and every employee in the land was promised that if they had religious or social objections they'd never be given an ultimatum to work a Sunday shift or suffer the consequences. That promise didn't last long.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Peg

Smoking Ban

Post by Peg »

A lot of the bars that are forced to go non-smoking have already found a way around it. People smoking in their bar will only get them a small fine. Now when they wait on you, they offer you an ashtray for $1. That dollar goes into their "fine fund". Most restraunts around here have smoking and non smoking sections. A few have gone completely non-smoking. I can make it through a meal without a cigarette. I just don't linger long after finishing my meal.
spot

Smoking Ban

Post by spot »

If any politician wants to introduce a ban on Vanilla Body Spray, instead, he can have my vote. It's the Dioxin of personal hygiene products. More people die of Vanilla Body Spray than of Alien Abduction, in my opinion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
john8pies

Smoking Ban

Post by john8pies »

Personally, as one who fought long and hard with his addiction before finally giving it up after 30 years, I am TOTALLY in agreement with Ireland`s "zero tolerance". if you want to smoke - do it outside (preferably in your own back garden) NOT in a place where others are eating, drinking or working.
lady cop

Smoking Ban

Post by lady cop »

i am a smoker. and i don't wish to impose on anyone. so i don't go out to restaurants anymore, except the outdoor type which are fairly common in florida. i'd rather sit outside by the beach, slurp a few oysters and some beer and smoke without bothering anyone. (hey Bothwell, SUNSET GRILLE!!). :-6

Attached files
greydeadhead

Smoking Ban

Post by greydeadhead »

well.. since I live in a state that is soon going to have a no smoking in public places law.. ie restaurants.. bars.. private clubs.. etc... all I have to say is the no smoking fanatics have finally got thier wish. I quit but some people can't.. and the excuse that they are doing it to "protect the employees" is a crock. No one has a gun to thier heads saying you have to work in this bar or restaurant.. and the excuse that they can't get another job is bull**** tooo... it is just another law by big brother kowtowing to the "public interest groups"... what is next... hmmmmm... now there is a scary thought.... how about a law banning consumption of alcoholic beverages in public places.. oh no.. not that.. it would cut into the profit margins of the restaruants.. and bars would cease to exist.. trust me they will find something...

okay

rant

over...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
spot

Smoking Ban

Post by spot »

greydeadhead wrote: No one has a gun to thier heads saying you have to work in this bar or restaurant.. and the excuse that they can't get another job is bull**** tooo...You know, the bit I mentioned about the introduction of Sunday Trading laws is quite relevant to this. People who have religious or social objections against working on a Sunday have only one option here - don't work for a company that opens on a Sunday. The guarantees offered by Industry, in order to be allowed to trade on Sunday, that no employee would be dismissed if they declined, has totally evaporated now that the new trading laws are in place. I don't say they can't get another job, I say that it's iniquitous that they should be obliged to for the sake of their own and their family's health.
abbey

Smoking Ban

Post by abbey »

lady cop wrote: . i'd rather sit outside by the beach, slurp a few oysters and some beer and smoke without bothering anyone. (hey Bothwell, SUNSET GRILLE!!). :-6 TEMPTRESS! :wah: :wah:

Attached files
polycarp

Smoking Ban

Post by polycarp »

cars wrote: I myself am not, nor have never been a Smoker. But unfortunetly my wife Smokes, (a lot) so I get plenty of second hand Smoke. Restaurants and Public meeting rooms can not even have a seperate room for Smokers.

I think that is wrong, Smokers choosing to Smoke should have their own rooms, seperate from the mass public. Leaving the Non-Smokers in a Smoke-free atmosphere! (Only Servers that are also smokers themselves would enter these rooms)

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE "SMOKING BAN" IN ALL PUBLIC PLACES, EVEN INCLUDING "BARS"? :-2

Since the sinister effects associated with smoking affect not only the smoker but the non-smoking person arround him or her, then I agree with you cars. Smoking in public places should be banned or special rooms provided for smokers.
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
greydeadhead

Smoking Ban

Post by greydeadhead »

they are not obligated too..that is my point. I worked in the restaurant industry for 15+ years.. and tended bar. If you want to make the money thru tips etc.. then face up to the fact that you chose your work environment.. it is your decision .. not mine.. Same thing with the working on Sunday .. I had an employee who used that line... I can't work Sunday's.. against my religion.. okay.. so.. I took him off the schedule. Well.. long story short.. the only church he was going to was the local bar on Saturday nite.. and didn't feel like working on Sunday hungover.. It took me 3 months of documentation to dismiss him..
spot

Smoking Ban

Post by spot »

greydeadhead wrote: they are not obligated too..that is my pointWhere we differ, I think, as that you favor employers' rights, and I'm advocating workers' rights. It's a long-running argument, and it's nowhere near finished yet. The extremes used to include employing children in factories, and slavery.

greydeadhead wrote:

I had an employee who used that line... I can't work Sunday's..And on the basis of one shyster, the entire argument has to be denied to those who legitimately mean it? It's an argument, scarcely a fair one, but not unexpected.
Agnes

Smoking Ban

Post by Agnes »

You Mean BANNED from smoking? Butts are out because they cause cancer. Connecticut & Rhode Island are all non-smoking in establishments. I have a butt once in awhile, but to have to sit there and drag one after the other, stay at home. What is worst 2nd. hand smoke or forum chatter, then and again there is 2nd hand smoke in forums too. I say the ban on butts will be everywhere shortly, unless you are a member of a club, then you can enjoy others smoke as you smoke.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
greydeadhead

Smoking Ban

Post by greydeadhead »

oh puleezzeee this is not a business owners rights versus a workers rights argument. I am saying this is a customers rights versus state mandates arguement. Trying to equate a smoking ban that is economically damaging to small businesses to child labor abuses and slavery is not even a valid point of debate. Just face reality.. the no smoking lobby will not be happy until smoking is banned everywhere.. including in your house.. they are as fanatical as any special interest group in the country. Yes.. perhaps I only had to deal with one shyster that was taking advantage of a law.. but I highly doubt he is the only one that abuses laws for personal gain.
spot

Smoking Ban

Post by spot »

greydeadhead wrote: the no smoking lobby will not be happy until smoking is banned everywhere..If you allow lobbyists to influence your government, dear boy, you deserve everything that happens to you. In your place I'd be drawing up a new Declaration of Independence.
greydeadhead

Smoking Ban

Post by greydeadhead »

ahhh.. and special interest groups and lobbists don't have any sway in your government I take it.. lucky you...
babygirl

Smoking Ban

Post by babygirl »

Well i smoke but when i go out to eat i stand outside and smoke so not to upset people when out in the pub i smoke were ever everyone else is in my town people tend to seperate the areas so the smokers go one end of room and non smokers go the other :-6
Live life to the max as you only get to do it once!! make your dreams come true :-4

along-for-the-ride

Smoking Ban

Post by along-for-the-ride »

lady cop wrote: i am a smoker. and i don't wish to impose on anyone. so i don't go out to restaurants anymore, except the outdoor type which are fairly common in florida. i'd rather sit outside by the beach, slurp a few oysters and some beer and smoke without bothering anyone. (hey Bothwell, SUNSET GRILLE!!). :-6

I'm with you on that, Lady Cop. That setting looks lovely. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “General Chit Chat”