Proposal - Going For A Song

This is where we play our home grown versions of the popular game shows you know and love.
spot

Post by spot »

We're basing these online forum games on existing game shows, I understand.

Okay, allow me to introduce you to the inimitable Arthur Negus. Once a week Arthur would show up at the studio before an audience and chair a half hour's guessing game. Each panellist in turn produced an antique, the others had to guess its age and function (they took delight in turning up with very odd-looking devices sometimes) and estimate what it would go for at auction. The closest guesser won the round.

I'm sure we can one at a time, for each round, pull a photo off the web that nobody can track down - changing the name of the jpg helps there sometimes. It can be from eBay or from an auction catalogue or anywhere, so long as the source site says when it was made, what it was for and how much it was recently sold for (or at least an estimate of its value). The thread consists of guesses, discussion of what on earth it might actually be, and a climactic summation by the initial poster along with the announcement of the victor of the day.

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Post by koan »

Definitely works.

Especially as a low pressure game where we don't have to get multiple users in synch.
koan

Post by koan »

I don't like the name.

I propose the name "Arti-fact"

since we are posting an artifact and trying to come up with facts about it.

Yes?
koan

Post by koan »

We have to think of some rules.

I'm thinking that the ArtiFACT Game (looks better without the hyphen) allows for one photo at a time. Members can only post one guess per item.

There would be a commentary thread to go with it for anything other than official guesses.

The first person to post the new photo after an ArtiFACT is correctly named takes the lead.

If the guesses stop for 5 days then the poster can reveal what it was.

What details are essential to guess and which are bonus points?
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

Why not call the game Fartifact?

That fartifact in the photo is a claret jug by the way.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
anon e mouse

Post by anon e mouse »

looks like a late 18th - early 19th century pewter brewing pot to me
spot

Post by spot »

I'm surprised, it looks to me more likely to have decanted either coffee or cocoa around 1770.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Post by koan »

We could try and get this game going. It got forgotten when a couple of others started up.

Are we happy with ArtiFACT?

Is there a time limit on guessing or we just leave the last photo until someone guesses it?
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

It looks like a coffee pot

Return to “FG Game Shows”