Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Delilah »

Anyone, anyone?

I require assistance. :-5
spot

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by spot »

I've installed it, what's puzzling you?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Delilah

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Delilah »

Is there anyway to set it up so that normal members don't have custom avatars, but the supporting member people do..(like here at FG). I tried, but haven't found any place in the control panel, it will only let me set permissions up for everyone (signature, av, PM box numbers), I can't change them for different groups.
Hugh Janus

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Hugh Janus »

It's possible to assign avatars to individuals by making them a special rank. You would have to put the avatar on yourself for each person..." I think"...

But dont quote me on that... I too have been trying to get to grips with phpbb2 :-3
Delilah

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Delilah »

Hugh Janus;580866 wrote: It's possible to assign avatars to individuals by making them a special rank. You would have to put the avatar on yourself for each person..." I think"...

But dont quote me on that... I too have been trying to get to grips with phpbb2 :-3

Yeah, no..I tried that..it won't let me do anything to the ranks, other than make them. You can't put in any permissions for them or features. And for groups all I can do permission wise, is say what they can do in each section of the forum (whether they can delete posts, etc.) there's nothing about changing the settings and such. :confused:
spot

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by spot »

Delilah;580849 wrote: Is there anyway to set it up so that normal members don't have custom avatars, but the supporting member people do..(like here at FG). I tried, but haven't found any place in the control panel, it will only let me set permissions up for everyone (signature, av, PM box numbers), I can't change them for different groups.No, neither in phpbb2 nor in phpbb3 as far as I know (though I haven't done an upgrade to 3 yet). It's a very simplistic package by comparison to vBulletin (but then, it's free instead of $160 or whatever this one costs).

phpbb3 at least shuts the old security hole, all the phpbb2 release versions had the cookie-spoofing issue that let anyone gain logged-in access rights even though the spoofer hadn't used a password. That's why I ended up not recommending it last time I was asked.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Delilah

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Delilah »

spot;580878 wrote: No, neither in phpbb2 nor in phpbb3 as far as I know (though I haven't done an upgrade to 3 yet). It's a very simplistic package by comparison to vBulletin (but then, it's free instead of $160 or whatever this one costs).

phpbb3 at least shuts the old security hole, all the phpbb2 release versions had the cookie-spoofing issue that let anyone gain logged-in access rights even though the spoofer hadn't used a password. That's why I ended up not recommending it last time I was asked.

aw crap..:(

Thanks spot.
crazygal

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by crazygal »

Delilah;580849 wrote: Is there anyway to set it up so that normal members don't have custom avatars, but the supporting member people do..(like here at FG). I tried, but haven't found any place in the control panel, it will only let me set permissions up for everyone (signature, av, PM box numbers), I can't change them for different groups.

No way to do that. You can though not let any members have an avatar and then use the groups to allow certain members to use them, or just allow them individually.
Delilah

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Delilah »

It wouldn't let me do that, crazygal.

If I disallow them then I can't allow for specific groups or users, it's either an all or nothing deal. Even I can't get it so the Admin can have them while the users can't.

I have thought up of other solutions, though.

Thanks everyone. :)
crazygal

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by crazygal »

Delilah;582117 wrote: It wouldn't let me do that, crazygal.

If I disallow them then I can't allow for specific groups or users, it's either an all or nothing deal. Even I can't get it so the Admin can have them while the users can't.

I have thought up of other solutions, though.

Thanks everyone. :)

Do you have a freebie forum or have you installed it yourself?
Delilah

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by Delilah »

crazygal;582550 wrote: Do you have a freebie forum or have you installed it yourself?

I installed it myself. Own domain, web hosting, and have installed phpbb2. :)
crazygal

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by crazygal »

Oh you should be able to do what you want then. If you haven't already, go to, http://www.phpbbhacks.com you will find some brilliant mods there!
spot

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by spot »

How, crazygal? I spent some time looking and I couldn't find a way either there or with google.
crazygal

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by crazygal »

spot;583481 wrote: How, crazygal? I spent some time looking and I couldn't find a way either there or with google.

The link works for me, just clicked it. I used loads of mods from there. Better than any other forum I think, more secure too.
spot

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by spot »

crazygal;583482 wrote: The link works for me, just clicked it. I used loads of mods from there. Better than any other forum I think, more secure too.

What???

Of course your link works. Yes there are lots of fine mods there which work wonderfully. My "how" relates to your "you should be able to do what you want then", since none of the mods there do what Delilah's trying to achieve. If you can see one which does then I'm mistaken.
crazygal

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by crazygal »

Oh I see. Well I just know with mine I was able to change a couple of members permissions and stop them using Avatars as they wouldn't change them when asked as they were inappropriate.
spot

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by spot »

She's asking about pre-setting avatar permissions when accounts get flagged with supporting membership. I suspect it could be done as a hand-coded module but if nobody's written it before it can't be simply slotted into place from a mod library.
crazygal

Anyone into phpbb2?

Post by crazygal »

I'd ask on their forum.

Return to “Computers Internet”