Vitamin d insufficiency in UK

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Hypovitaminosis D in British adults at age 45 y: nationwide cohort study of dietary and lifestyle predictors take note that this report was using 75 nmol/L as the cut off point. The ideal level which we should all be aiming for is 125 nM/L.

As 87% were insufficient at this low level it is almost certain that it would be approaching 100% of the population (excluding those who have just returned from 3 weeks winter holiday in the tropics or regularly use sunbeds). Still with a bit of luck people will start raising their levels by getting OUTSIDE at MIDDAY and getting plenty of sun on as much bare skin as possible.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

tedhutchinson;573987 wrote: with a bit of luck people will start raising their levels by getting OUTSIDE at MIDDAY and getting plenty of sun on as much bare skin as possible.

That's a good way of getting skin cancer.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Solar ultraviolet-B exposure and cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1993-2002

For non-Hispanic whites, an inverse relationship between solar UV-B exposure and cancer incidence and mortality was observed for ten sites: bladder, colon, Hodgkin lymphoma, myeloma, other biliary, prostate, rectum, stomach, uterus, and vulva.....

This paper adds to the mounting evidence for the influential role of solar UV-B exposure on cancer, particularly for some of the less-well studied digestive cancers. The relative risks for cancer incidence are similar to those for cancer mortality for most sites. For several sites (breast, colon, rectum, esophagus, other biliary, vulva), the relative risks of mortality are higher, possibly suggesting that the maintenance of adequate vitamin D levels is more critical for limiting tumor progression than for preventing tumor onset............Thus it may be that one’s overall risk of contracting colon cancer may be moderately influenced by reduced solar UV-B exposure (with an increased risk of 10% to 15% in the northern versus southern United States), while the risk of dying from the disease is more strongly related to reduced solar UV-B exposure (with an increased risk of 25% to 30%).................the evidence is clear that exposure to solar UV-B affords protection against numerous cancers, and that current public health recommendations that advocate little or no sunlight exposure should be revisited – especially since the adverse health effects of vitamin D deficiency are not limited to cancer, but also appear to include type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis

We found evidence of an inverse association for nineteen cancer sites Here are the UK 2004 death totals for some of those cancers.

prostate = 10.209

female breast = 12.347

colon = 16,148

ovary = 4,434

uterus = 3,204

bladder = 4,816

Oesophagus = 7,230

kidney = 3,611

lung = 33,044

pancreas = 7,040

stomach = 5,881

gallbladder = 102

larynx = 655

Hodgkin lymphoma= 294

non Hodgkin lymphoma=4418

myeloma = 2531

Total number of cancer deaths that could be lowered by increased sun exposure =115,964

total number of cancer deaths which may be attributable to too much sunshine

the Five other sites found to be positively associated with solar UV-B are

Here are the uk 2004 death totals for those cancers.

cervix = 1093

melanoma = 1777

non-epithelial skin cancer= 310

oral cavity = 877

Total that are postively linked to sun exposure 4057

So for every one person who MAY be harmed by too much sun 30 people MAY be harmed by too little sun.

The point is that you don't have to get SUNBURNT to get sufficient Vitamin d but you do need regular limited safe sun exposure and this is FAR more beneficial to far more people than the dangers that may be attributed to over exposure. Do take account that this balance sheet is only considering Cancer Deaths When you add in the extra MS cases Autoimmune Illness Diabetes Heart Disease, Hyperparathyroidism, Hypertension,Osteoarthritis Osteoporosis, Obesity I could go on, that are related to vitamin d insufficiency you will see that it is far more important for people to get regular sun exposure than to completely shun the sun.

The reports here explain the issues in greater detail but make no mistake NOT getting sufficient sunlight is FAR FAR FAR more dangerous than getting too much.

Another curious but I think interesting point is that MELANOMA the worst of the skin cancers is actually also prevented by high vitamin d status. It's getting burnt that causes cancer and you don't have to get burnt to get vitamin d. In fact if you read this you'll understand how too much sun damages the Vitamin D that's on the skin, so you can never overdose on Vitamin d from sunlight but by the same token if you want to preserve the vitamin d on your skin you NEED to cover up, go inside, after a reasonable period of time, but WELL BEFORE your skin starts going pink. But back to the melamonas, those people who have had melanoma and continue to sunbathe have a better prognosis, and fewer recurrance than those who shun the sun. See SUN EXPOSURE IS ASSOCIATED WITH increased survival from melanoma.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

tedhutchinson;574094 wrote: url=http://www.biomedcentral(snip)

What???? Please put your thoughts into words that I can understand. Large

tracts of text quoted from "somewhere" are not much use to me. Are you

saying that increased exposure in the UK to sunlight lessens your chance of

succumbing to skin cancer????
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Bill Sikes;574104 wrote: What???? Please put your thoughts into words that I can understand. Large

tracts of text quoted from "somewhere" are not much use to me. Are you

saying that increased exposure in the UK to sunlight lessens your chance of

succumbing to skin cancer????I'm sorry you find my prose style difficult to manage but I assure you it's all mine. Well apart from the snips quoted from the abstract from the first link but I'm sure you followed the link.

To summarise yes for every cancer death that may be attributable to getting sunburnt 30 people will die from cancers that flourish because of too low vitamin d status.

In particular Melanoma is more prevented by high vitamin d status (sun exposure) than caused by it. It's the frequency of burning that increases the risk but even so if you study the causes of melanoma you find they are

Family history of melanoma

Personal history of melanoma

Presence of any atypical nevi

Having had any atypical moles removed

Presence of prominent numbers of moles, small or large, typical or atypical in appearance

Presence of a single high-risk mole (i.e. congenital nevus and nevus spilus, among others).

and I'm sure you are quick enough to see what isn't on the list of major causes of melanoma.

And remember if you've got or had a melamoma then keep on sunning as that will IMPROVE your prognosis and REDUCE the chance of recurrance.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Soberano;574120 wrote:

Yes the sun does you the world of good, no that is her skin not a leather coat.

You want a free leather coat, go sit in the sun.:-6 :-6No one is suggesting prolonged sun exposure.

The process of UVB synthesis into Vitamin D3 is set out Diagramatically here and if you follow it you will see that after the Vit d Cholecalciferol is formed if you remain in the sun it then becomes converted to suprasterols which are thought to be inert. It is for this reason that you should limit the time you are out in the sun.

But you have to be aware that having Vitamin D3 on your skin is part of your skins protection mechanism. If you want wounds to heal, if you want to avoid infection, Having a layer of natural antibiotic just where it is needed is the best protection you can have.

Can you think of a better way of avoiding epidemic influenza or hospital acquired infection?

For every individual harmed by stupidly getting sunburnt 250 die from conditions which would not have occured or would not have progressed had those individuals had a high level of Vitamin d3.

SUNSHINE CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE

Vitamin D Deficiency Widespread During Pregnancy

Raising vitamin D intake could lower breast, colorectal cancer risk These research papers prove that those with the highest levels of Vitamin d have HALF the risk of Breast or Colon cancer. Thats just looking at 2 common cancers. There are some 17 others that are also similarly reduced, see list above.

You really don't have to tan or end up with Rhino skin to get sufficient Vitamin d3. Depending on tempartature and cloud cover etc anything up to an hour should be fine but as little as 12mins, laying naked in the midday sun, should produce sufficient Vitamin d to raise status. Doing this 3 times a week whenever possible will build up your stores for the Winter.

RememberCancer survival is dependent on season of diagnosis and sunlight exposure. so getting your Vitamin d status raised in the summer, and keeping it high during the Winter (with Cholecalciferol Vit D3 or 10ml Cod Liver Oil supplement) will cut your cancer risk probably by 50%.
gmc

Post by gmc »

So should I eat my deep fried mars bar in the midday sun to avoid getting cancer?
Delilah

Post by Delilah »

Vitamin D deficiencys are a big problem, actually. But not just in the UK.

I'm on my way to see the doctor today, because they did a blood test and said I have severe deficiency (among many other issues..haha), so I have to go on some prescription D pills or injections.

You said that the level they like to see is 125? Mine was 20. :lips:
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

gmc;574306 wrote: So should I eat my deep fried mars bar in the midday sun to avoid getting cancer?I'm glad to see you've read the research paper and are aware that Scottish Obese individuals are twice as likely to have Vitamin D deficiency status as anyone else. Nice to know there are so many folks willingly opting for Cancer, Osteoporosis...Multiple Sclerosis..Mental Illness.. Hypertension.. Obesity.. autoimmune illnesses etc. It all makes work for the Pharmaceutical Industry and gives me a good return on my shares.

It's called survival of the fittest, those who are sufficiently gullible and stupid enough to believe the Sunsmart propaganda that staying out of the sun is the safest option, are disposable and the sooner they eliminate themselves the better leaving more assets and space available for the more intelligent survivors, those who are capable of thinking for themselves and using their common sense.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Delilah;574331 wrote: You said that the level they like to see is 125? Mine was 20. :lips:It's a bit complicated but the USA usually measure in ng/mL

while in Europe we measure in nmol/L

Optimal levels are around 50 ng/mL or 125 nmol/L.

Levels below People with levels 75nmol. It's not even as if they enjoy it as the same ratio of Altzheimers, depression and cognitive malfunction also applies to those with the lowest Vitamin D status. So it's nice to know in the USA they are taking this matter seriously, as you can see in the UK it's still a subject for making fun of.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Soberano;574353 wrote: :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotflI'm sure the 90 UK people who died unnecessarily today from cancers that wouldn't have progressed if they had the highest levels of Vitamin D status also see the funny side of the matter. I'd like to know what UK beach your photo was taken on. I suspect it wasn't Skegness.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Inspired by the Fat Bastard character created by Austin Powers I am thinking of forming a naturist sunbathing club in order to address the vitamin d deficiency in scotland. Regular prizes will be awarded to those who find the sun at midday and manage to sunbathe without freezing their-well let's just say there is a good reason why it wasn't a scot who invented the bikini. Anyone wanting a dip in the Atlantic is welcome so long as they don't expect rescue if the cold gets to them. Bring your own simmit and mars bars.

http://www.prankplace.com/pmf_fatb.htm

I do wonder what kind of image Americans have of us scots but any other fat bastards wannabees on the other side of the pond can join. Difinitle not for the image conscious.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

The Vitamin D Council links page has links to cheap sources of high strength Cholecalciferol. The 5000iu x 250 cost £17ish but will last the average person 2 years (even in Scotland there should be sufficient UVB in summer)

But I suppose being Scottish the idea of spending £8.50 a winter to reduce by 50% the risk of Cancer, Osteoporosis...Multiple Sclerosis..Mental Illness.. Hypertension.. Obesity.. autoimmune illnesses etc. is expecting a bit much.

You'd have to have some intelligence to realise it may be good value for money.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Just a little personal experience with sun exposure and skin quality...

I used to lay out to get a very nice creamy tan in the summers. Since

there was a little lake where I worked, and a beach, I'd go on my lunch

hour. I had enough time to get about 20 mins a side. (In a bikini)

My husband's name for me used to be "Little Softie Girl" because my skin

was so soft.

A visit to a dermatologist at age 47 got quite the nice reaction, she was

incredulous that I was 47 years old!

Some of this can surely be attributed to genetics, some to my almost

constant wearing of 100% UVA and UVB blocking sunglasses (even for

a trip to the mailbox) which have almost completely forestalled "crow's

feet". But I have enjoyed time in the sun, and my skin dare I say still

looks VERY good for a 54 year old woman.

:-6 :-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

tedhutchinson;574405 wrote: The Vitamin D Council links page has links to cheap sources of high strength Cholecalciferol. The 5000iu x 250 cost £17ish but will last the average person 2 years (even in Scotland there should be sufficient UVB in summer)

But I suppose being Scottish the idea of spending £8.50 a winter to reduce by 50% the risk of Cancer, Osteoporosis...Multiple Sclerosis..Mental Illness.. Hypertension.. Obesity.. autoimmune illnesses etc. is expecting a bit much.

You'd have to have some intelligence to realise it may be good value for money.I've been misleading you about the cost of 250 X 5000iu Vitamin D3 Had a new pack arrive today and that cost £13.24 so in fact it would only cost £6.62 for a winter per person so maybe some here will think again about the value for money it represents.

As your body only uses 4000iu a day you can manage on 5 capsules a week

5 x 5000 = 25000 divided by 7 days a week = 3571iu/d but you should pick up a few more iu with the cod liver oil I hope you take and the oily fish I'm sure you healthy folk are eating at least 3 times a week.

This will tell you if you can theoretically get VitaminD3 for free from sunshine today/tomorrow
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

In a previous post in this thread I pointed out that Optimal Vitamin D3 levels are around 50 ng/mL or 125 nmol/L. But thelatest research looking at Vitamin D insufficiency was considering 25(OH)D concentrations below25, below40, and below 75 nmol/L The assumption being that levels above 75nmol/L were fine.

]This research after using supplements up over 6000iu/d with lactating mothers found that stable endocrine function was only achieved when circulating 25(OH)D exceeded 100nmol.

It appears then that the level at which it is known that adverse affects occur with low vitamin d status is a lot higher than previous thought, which thought makes if far more important for you all to take advantage of the fine sunny weather and get your clothes off and sunbathe in your birthday suits for at least 15mins a side at midday tomorrow. Don't get burnt or even go pink.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... milk14.xml

Calcium linked to dementia

Last Updated: 1:27am BST 14/05/2007

Calcium and vitamin D in dairy products may help to cause brain damage and dementia in older people, new research suggests.

Scientists believe too much calcium can narrow blood vessels in the brain, leading to neural damage.

The effect may be compounded by vitamin D, which regulates calcium retention and activity.

advertisementResearchers made the discovery after scanning the brains of 79 men and 153 women aged up to 86.

All had at least a number of brain lesions - areas of tissue damage. But those consuming the most calcium and vitamin D had significantly more.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Bill Sikes;613228 wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... milk14.xml................

All had at least a number of brain lesions - areas of tissue damage. But those consuming the most calcium and vitamin D had significantly more.Medical News today article on same topic

I haven't read the original research so can't really comment. I'm somewhat perplexed by the fact they've used MRI scans (expensive assessment) to find the lesions but haven't used relatively cheap calcium/vitamin d status assessments to actually quantify the amounts of calcium/vit d in circulation.

While dairy intake (in the USA) may also mean higher vitamin d intake it may not be true, certainly in the UK diary isn't fortified with vit d so high dairy here doesn't mean higher vit d.

In the USA it is possible that D2 is used to fortify milk/milk products, how much of this is actually absorbed by elderly people is questionable. You may be interested enough to read The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement

Certainly I'm not convinced, on the evidence I've seen that these elderly men had high vitamin d status. I feel the high calcium may be a problem. Calcium food sources shows calcium is readily available.

I'd also be happier if I knew what the magnesium status of these elderly population was. This also is a factor in the uptake of calcium/vitamin d story and looking at isolated intakes unfortunately not only do we not know what the actual calcium/vit d status was in these people we also do not know how the assumed intakes were assessed. Without this information it's difficult to take this report seriously.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

The charts at the end of this paper show average UK white adult vitamin D status through the year.

Because we have come to the end of free Vitamin d from sunshine it's important to remind people to take an EFFECTIVE amount of Vitamin D3 daily from now until the end of March.

I have been taking 5000iu/daily/D3 for over a year. On days when the forecast is sunny I don't take a capsule but lay nude in the garden for 20minutes turning every 5. At the end of August I had a 25 hydroxy vitamin d test and my status was 147nmol/L - 58.8ng/mL nicely above the 137.5nmol/L 55ng/mL associated with the lowest incidence of cancer.

It is probable that the sunbathing pushed my status the few points over ideal but as 375nmol/L is when hypercalcemia starts I certainly am well under that level.

Since I last posted here there has been lots more interesting research.

Vitamin D Supplements Appear To Be Associated With Lower Risk Of Death

Low vitamin D linked to preeclampsia

Vitamin D could halve breast and colon cancer incidence

The virtues of Vitamin D: It's time we saw the light however this article is spoilt by the last few lines.

In order to raise vitamin D status each 400iu vitamin D3 produces a 9nmol/L rise.

So to raise from 40nmol/L average winter status to 137.5 lowest cancer incidence level requires 97.5nmol/L extra thats nearly 11 x 400iu tablets 4400iu/daily.

Using the Vitamin D council link to 5000iu capsules using one of these will cost roughly 5p daily. If you forget one capsule every fortnight you'll be on target for optimal vitamin d status throughout the Winter.

Don't forget you will also reduce your incidence of colds and flu by 70%
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Boots High Strength Vitamin D 90 Capsules are currently on offer. I don't know if it's a mistake on their part but it comes up as both 50% off AND 3 for 2

so although it's officially £2.99 for 90 being 50% off that reduces to £1.49 and if you buy 3 you only pay for 2 so for £2.98 you get 270 tablets @500iu just over 1p per tablet. So those wanting to take 2000iu/d would only pay 4p/d and for 4000iu it's still only 8p day.

Because this is such a good offer you may find your local shop is sold out in which case the online store may be your best bet, however, I've just checked that and they appeat to be rationing the amount to 3 per order. Those with Quidco accounts may want to use that to get a bit of cashback.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

Boots are now out of stock but Holland and Barrett have 1000iu in their sale at half price. : £3.74

Ignore the warning on the label.

1000iu raises vitamin D status by between 17.5nmol/L and 30nmol/L depending on your current status.

Most people in the UK are approaching 40nmol/L at the moment after almost reaching 70nmol/L at the end of summer. Your body uses 4000iu/daily so your summer stocks deplete rapidly. The level below which measurable harm can be measured is 80nmol/l. so one 1000iu capsule daily will not raise most UK adults over the insufficiency threshold.

Vitamin D Appears to Cut Breast and Colorectal Cancer Risk says patients with serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D of approximately 52 ng/mL 130nmol/L had a 50% lower risk for breast cancer than those with serum measuring less than 13 ng/mL. This level corresponds to a vitamin D intake of 4000 IU per day.

Return to “England”