Creation Myths?

Discuss Astrology, Confucianism, Healing Arts, Hinduism, Mysticism, Paganism, Reincarnation, Sikhism, others
Hawke

Creation Myths?

Post by Hawke »

Since we here represent a large slice of humanity, I would like to launch into a discussion of our various cultures' creation myths and origin stories.

Even here in the United States, we have our own origin story. In our history books, we read that our country was started by puritanical religious folk running to escape the "tyranny of British oppression". Of course, there is much information our history books do not cover, and such a politically charged view is doubtless flawed.

What of your culture/country? What are YOUR creation myths?
koan

Creation Myths?

Post by koan »

This is an interesting idea for a topic. You mention the creation of the US as if it is a myth (not saying you are wrong) This makes it even more interesting to branch the topic out from just the creation of the universe and life forms to creation in general. Need time to think of some. Canada is not a great place for originality or history in the first place :wah: Might have to do the mosaic thing and delve into outside sources.
koan

Creation Myths?

Post by koan »

You do find great links. Thanks Elise.
Beth

Creation Myths?

Post by Beth »

In Tampa Bay, we have the myth of Jose Gaspar, the way he is spoken of sometimes as reality, one would seem he was the founder of the city.
koan

Creation Myths?

Post by koan »

Could you tell us the story of Jose Gaspar?
Beth

Creation Myths?

Post by Beth »

Yes, sorry. I was not even sure Jose Gaspar would fit into this. I'll try to post it tomorrow. My son is asking for the computer to look up sports stats and I think I am about to give in. Oh a look can melt a mum's heart! :)
downtown

Creation Myths?

Post by downtown »

Hawke wrote: Since we here represent a large slice of humanity, I would like to launch into a discussion of our various cultures' creation myths and origin stories.

Even here in the United States, we have our own origin story. In our history books, we read that our country was started by puritanical religious folk running to escape the "tyranny of British oppression". Of course, there is much information our history books do not cover, and such a politically charged view is doubtless flawed.

What of your culture/country? What are YOUR creation myths?

I don't have creation-myths.
vampress.rozz

Creation Myths?

Post by vampress.rozz »

Im not sure if it counts as a creation myth more a contribution to the creation of Britain but all British children heard the stories of King Arthur and the knights of the round table when I was little.
Blessed be.
Lulu2

Creation Myths?

Post by Lulu2 »

One've my favorite creation myths is the Egyptian one about the sacred goose of Amon. It laid the egg which hatched the world and it woke the universe with its celestial cackling!

:)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Adam Zapple

Creation Myths?

Post by Adam Zapple »

Lulu2 wrote: One've my favorite creation myths is the Egyptian one about the sacred goose of Amon. It laid the egg which hatched the world and it woke the universe with its celestial cackling!

:)

So that's what all that racket was this morning!:yh_tired
Lulu2

Creation Myths?

Post by Lulu2 »

That's it! Next time you see some ancient Egyptian glyphs, look for a simple white goose. Incredibly important, he never assumed airs, never put on a crown, wore a medal or robes...just went on about his goosely business.

There's a lesson we can learn here!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
clearmind69

Creation Myths?

Post by clearmind69 »

I always enjoyed reading the myths about creation the ancient red indians used to tell as stories. Or those of ancient China about dragons and such. King Arthor and the Knights of the round table or Loch Ness.

They give those of us hope and inspiration that there is more to life than meets the eye.

I welcome myths. Stories of old handed down throughout the ages. Of times forgot and times of mystery and magic.

I hope the future holds more of these things.

:-6 :-6 :-6 :-6

Return to “Ancient Wisdom”