Special car plates for sex offenders

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Soberano;565579 wrote:

Would this work or would people just beat the crap out of them and destroy their cars, houses etc? Nice to see somebody trying to do something about the amount of assholes out there.

Sounds a stupid idea, in many ways - for the above reason, and that it does

not seem likely to prevent anything.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

but what if mj ,is driving :lips:

ok i stopped myself
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Soberano;565659 wrote: He won't get away Jimbo.

oh maybe he is just miss quoted he actually said ...i like to ride kids..bikes

:lips: :wah: you will soo get me banned
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I have a slight prob with the sex offender as some o fthem are absolutely benign. For example, the 21 year old guy and the 17 year old girl in love, whose father called the cops. What's the big deal? That's hardly a sex offense and doesn't warrant a plate.

For real sex offenders, heck yeah, give them a plate.

For drunk driving idiots, HECK YEAH paint their whole car! I want to know who in this day and age is an inconsiderate selfish @&^&#%@ willing to take my life into his hands! No mercy for drunk druvers, if they get beaten up, they deserve it.

As for their spouse, they probably deserve it too for letting it happen. :mad:
Peg

Post by Peg »

As for their spouse, they probably deserve it too for letting it happen.
I'm thinking most people who drive under the influence do it of their own free will. You cannot be with your spouse 24/7 to make sure they don't do anything stupid.

As for the topic here, I like the fact that they are trying to do something, but I feel this will create more problems than help. As RG said, the 21 year old falling for the 17 year old, 20 years later the spouse is driving the car and gets a bullet to the head.
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

It would be a good idea if it were only the police who could identify these plates...with a special light or something...... but other than that....yeah its a stupid idea..simply cause it would effect others
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Soberano;565659 wrote: He won't get away Jimbo.;)

:wah:
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I do not agree with the idea. Unless, as someone said, it is something only visable to law enforcement. But then again, if the plates are meant to be put on any car registered to the offenser, what if it is the spouse, or teenage child, or a friend or family member driving the car? Then an innocent person would be wrongly and unfairly singled out. Plus, if the person offended once, for whatever reason, and has never offended again, is it right to "brand" them with what is in effect a scarlet letter?
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

I think its a great idea! When someone pulls up next to my baby offering her candy, she can easily identify him and run! What a great idea!
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Sweet Tooth;565844 wrote: I think its a great idea! When someone pulls up next to my baby offering her candy, she can easily identify him and run! What a great idea!

She shouldnt take candy from ANY stranger you goof.

HBIC
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Sweet Tooth;565844 wrote: When someone pulls up next to my baby offering her candy, she can easily identify him and run! What a great idea!

This is, though, about the first thing you drill into your child, or should be. Note,

the majority of assaults of various kinds that are made on children are made

*by people they know well*.
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

I'm not saying im going to teach her to take candy from people that dont have green plates! Geez! What kind of mom do ya'll take me for?!?!:-5 I'm just saying, it would be helpful because when she tells me about it and how he had a "red" car with a green plate, I can call cops and tell them that this guy needs to rot in jail for a while!
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Or, you can gp to watchdog.com and find ALL the sex offenders around your neighborhood and school!:D

HBIC
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Marie5656;565840 wrote: I do not agree with the idea. Unless, as someone said, it is something only visable to law enforcement. But then again, if the plates are meant to be put on any car registered to the offenser, what if it is the spouse, or teenage child, or a friend or family member driving the car? Then an innocent person would be wrongly and unfairly singled out. Plus, if the person offended once, for whatever reason, and has never offended again, is it right to "brand" them with what is in effect a scarlet letter?

Hopefully that friend or family member will have sense enough to drive their own car. And in the case of a child molester/rapist/repeat drunk driver or drunk who has killed someone, YES!! We MUST brand them with the scarlet letter! This is OUR society now, not theirs. You can never pay back to society or the victim what you took away. Ever.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

What about marking their driver's license. That would work better I think.

HBIC
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

RedGlitter;565908 wrote: Hopefully that friend or family member will have sense enough to drive their own car. And in the case of a child molester/rapist/repeat drunk driver or drunk who has killed someone, YES!! We MUST brand them with the scarlet letter! This is OUR society now, not theirs. You can never pay back to society or the victim what you took away. Ever.

I understand your argument, but, what if all of the household cars are registered in the name of one person (as is with Rick and I..all are in his name). If all of the plates need to be marked, because they are considered his or hers..then the "innocent" person driving has no choice. I mean, I am the primary driver of our PT Cruiser..and it is considered MY car..but it is registerd in Rick's name.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Marie5656;565914 wrote: I understand your argument, but, what if all of the household cars are registered in the name of one person (as is with Rick and I..all are in his name). If all of the plates need to be marked, because they are considered his or hers..then the "innocent" person driving has no choice. I mean, I am the primary driver of our PT Cruiser..and it is considered MY car..but it is registerd in Rick's name.

I see your point, Marie. There must be some work-around for it. Maybe limit the perp to driving one specific car, I'm not sure. I'm not sure anyone else would *want * to drive the "special" car but if they had to, say that was their only car in the family, I have no answer for that one yet. Sorry! :cool: But overall I like the idea.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Soberano;565579 wrote: Lawmakers in Ohio said on Wednesday they want to force convicted sex offenders to use a fluorescent-green license plate on their cars so they can be easily identified.

A Republican and a Democrat in the state legislature in Columbus have joined forces to propose the law, which echoes measures in several U.S. states that require convicted drunken drivers to use a yellow, pink or red plate on their cars.

"The fluorescent-green license plate will make the most egregious sex offenders easily identifiable," state Democratic Rep. Michael DeBose said in a statement.

Police said the green plates would allow them to track sex offenders, who are already required to register with the local sheriff's office and are prohibited from living within 1,000 feet of a school.

"It will give Ohio families a great peace of mind knowing that their children will be able to recognize where this danger exists," Summit County Sheriff Drew Alexander said.

Alexander joined the politicians at a news conference in Columbus, the state capital, to praise the proposed law.

Opponents of the proposed law argue the use of a special plate would stigmatize everyone who shared the offender's car -- including their spouse or children.

The proposed law will be debated in committee before a decision is made whether to put the proposal to a vote.

Would this work or would people just beat the crap out of them and destroy their cars, houses etc? Nice to see somebody trying to do something about the amount of assholes out there.

Stupid idea, that would just cause loads of road rage and murder.
cars

Post by cars »

It seems that people are "expecting" these sick individuals to comply with the law in the first place, and to drive a "marked plate car"!!! Think about it, is it at all reasonable to think that if these nasties were out to do no good, that they would use their own "marked plate" car!! It doesn't seem likely. They can "rent an unmarked car", borrow one, steal one, whatever! Where there's a will, there's a way, & they will find it. Nasties, if convicted, should be put to sleep, & then no need to worry about marking license plates or the like! :guitarist
Cars :)
Indian Princess

Post by Indian Princess »

What if you were falsly accused!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

cars;566063 wrote: It seems that people are "expecting" these sick individuals to comply with the law in the first place, and to drive a "marked plate car"!!! Think about it, is it at all reasonable to think that if these nasties were out to do no good, that they would use their own "marked plate" car!! It doesn't seem likely. They can "rent an unmarked car", borrow one, steal one, whatever! Where there's a will, there's a way, & they will find it. Nasties, if convicted, should be put to sleep, & then no need to worry about marking license plates or the like! :guitarist

That's right!! I was so blinded by my anger here, that I never once even thought of that, Cars! Thanks for pointing this out! :)
cars

Post by cars »

Indian Princess;566352 wrote: What if you were falsly accused!

That's why the words were used, "If Convicted", not accused.
Cars :)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

cars;566063 wrote: It seems that people are "expecting" these sick individuals to comply with the law in the first place, and to drive a "marked plate car"!!! Think about it, is it at all reasonable to think that if these nasties were out to do no good, that they would use their own "marked plate" car!! It doesn't seem likely. They can "rent an unmarked car", borrow one, steal one, whatever! Where there's a will, there's a way, & they will find it.

See my earlier post.

cars;566063 wrote: Nasties, if convicted, should be put to sleep, & then no need to worry about marking license plates or the like! :guitarist

Great, it would reduce prison populations, too. We could have people killed for

any sort of assault, even intended assault; drink-driving, speeding, poor

parking, or anything else that is a potential danger; virtually any crime, really,

'cos everybody knows that one crime leads to another! Everyone would then

be really, really, really safe!!
Peg

Post by Peg »

Great, it would reduce prison populations, too. We could have people killed for

any sort of assault, even intended assault; drink-driving, speeding, poor

parking, or anything else that is a potential danger; virtually any crime, really,

'cos everybody knows that one crime leads to another! Everyone would then

be really, really, really safe!!
The death sentence for sex offenders who victimize children would keep our kids safer and maybe they'd have less problems in adulthood.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Peg;566643 wrote: The death sentence for sex offenders who victimize children would keep our kids safer and maybe they'd have less problems in adulthood.

Or just Tag them and track them when released if they have to be released . keeping children safe should always be the priority whatever the costs .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;566788 wrote: keeping children safe should always be the priority whatever the costs .

Better not introduce them to your family (apart from "you" personally), or your

friends or acquaintences, then. The odd run-of-the-mill stranger is unlikely to be

as dangerous!

Return to “General Chit Chat”