Anxiety!

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
actionfigurestepho

Anxiety!

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Monday I accidently missed a class. I wouldn't have freaked out about it except that I have missed quite a few classes lately. Now, I'm all caught up in all of them and I know I'm not going to fail or anything, but last night I found myself having a recurring dream wherein I look down at a school schedule and realized I'm in about 6 more classes than I've actually been attending, and that there's no way to catch up on any of them. I've been having these dreams since I lived in Youngstown and had to drop out of all my classes except for one. I know it's just me worrying that I'm not doing enough as a student and that I'm not studying to my full potential, but I always wake up sad and repentent, thinking "I'll study every day! I'll do extra research!" I wonder if I'm always going to have these dreams, and if I'm always going to beat myself up for "not living to my full potential."

Do any of you have recurring dreams or anxieties which reflect how you feel about yourself? How do you deal with them? Do you think they can motivate you to do a better job?

(And now I'm off to take an online test which I put off to the last possible day! Case in point. *sigh*)
SweetDarlin

Anxiety!

Post by SweetDarlin »

actionfigurestepho wrote: Do any of you have recurring dreams or anxieties which reflect how you feel about yourself? How do you deal with them? Do you think they can motivate you to do a better job?If you'd like a good counselor who has not received her degree yet, but has studied for many years and is intuitive... send me an email. :) I hear I'm good at this stuff... ;)

Dreams are pretty easy to figure actually... contact me... we'll talk.
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
observer1

Anxiety!

Post by observer1 »

Actually, my problem's drinking. Even if I have ONE drink, I wake up the next morning with the WORST case of the guilts in the world!! I think it's because my father's an alcoholic & so is my ex. And I feel like I've left everybody down, if I drink alcohol. But it's a TERRIBLE feeling!!! Like you, I say to myself, "I'll never have another drink. I'll do more for my daughter", etc. I'm not a big drinker, mind you. I just get so sick & tired of having this feeling!

I also get panic attacks, when I'm under a lot of stress. I mainly have them when I'm driving... which is probably not good. But I've learned how to calm myself down & talk myself out of them. Still gets scarey at times.
Carl44

Anxiety!

Post by Carl44 »

i had too see my doc, a couple of days ago ,just nothing serious just ,blood pressure check thingy , and then he asks me loads of questions ,well you don't want to lie ,so i was honest ,he wrote down every thing on some piece of paper and ticked off boxes in a strange writing that i could not understand ,he looks up and says i have severe depression but apart from feeling tired i feel fine ,i do though however get very bad anxiety attacks you know for some reason you just feel all panicky ,heart racing ,sweating like something terribly is going to happen but you know not what , any way i used to deal with these with a bottle of jack Daniels or three but i cant do that anymore ,he has proscribed citalopram, has any one else ever tried it ,point blank i will not take it unless i know about side effects ,what are your thoughts guys

http://www.healing-anxiety.com/
Accountable

Anxiety!

Post by Accountable »

This is from WebMD ** LINK **

See also the Warning section.

Nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea, drowsiness, dizziness, trouble sleeping, dry mouth, muscle/joint pain, fatigue, or yawning may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: changes in sexual ability/desire, increased sweating, persistent nausea/vomiting, uncontrolled movements (tremor), unusual or severe mental/mood changes, weight changes.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: black stools, change in frequency of menstrual periods, "coffee-ground" vomit, confusion, easy bruising/bleeding, fast heartbeats, seizures, vision problems.

For males, in the very unlikely event you have a painful or prolonged erection lasting 4 or more hours, stop using this drug and seek immediate medical attention, or permanent problems could occur.

A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Here's more but I can't promise it's understandable. It's in that strange doctor lingo.

Don't forget that at least some of your anxiety about the drug probably comes from the depression. Take it if you trust the doc. Take it if Suzy trusts the doc.
Tater Tazz

Anxiety!

Post by Tater Tazz »

Jimbo take your medication! All you have to do to check your medication is type it in under search. Not everybody gets side affects. The medication I am on causes liver or kidney failer. I hope I do not get that. Been on them 2 and a 1/2 years now. But, everything for this pain relief, causes the same thing. So, if you trust your doc, take meds.:rolleyes:
Carl44

Anxiety!

Post by Carl44 »

Accountable;556902 wrote: This is from WebMD ** LINK **

Here's more but I can't promise it's understandable. It's in that strange doctor lingo.

Don't forget that at least some of your anxiety about the drug probably comes from the depression. Take it if you trust the doc. Take it if Suzy trusts the doc.

thanks guys ,but if suzy see's the bit about erections that can last four hours ,she will be crushing up the bloody things and put them in my food :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i have a real problem taking medication i dont know why if i take even a headache tablet it makes me a failure and that i'm admitting defeat or if a weakling ,i dont know why :confused:
BH672

Anxiety!

Post by BH672 »

jimbo;556917 wrote: i have a real problem taking medication i dont know why if i take even a headache tablet it makes me a failure and that i'm admitting defeat or if a weakling ,i dont know why :confused:

I wouldn't tell anyone what to do, but I would encourge you to rethink this, jimbo. Doing whatever it takes to makes you better never makes anyone a failure or a weakling. Helping yourself be well is not defeat. Having a cast when you break a bone makes perfect sense. You want the bone to heal so you can get on, and no one around you thinks a thing about it. So to with mental health, our emotions, or even getting rid of a headache. Do whatever it takes to be well, your family and friends will rally to support you.
Carl44

Anxiety!

Post by Carl44 »

BH672;556920 wrote: I wouldn't tell anyone what to do, but I would encourge you to rethink this, jimbo. Doing whatever it takes to makes you better never makes anyone a failure or a weakling. Helping yourself be well is not defeat. Having a cast when you break a bone makes perfect sense. You want the bone to heal so you can get on, and no one around you thinks a thing about it. So to with mental health, our emotions, or even getting rid of a headache. Do whatever it takes to be well, your family and friends will rally to support you.

buddy i feel fine , i swear i think the doctors have x amount of meds to shift and we are all guinea pigs , i have been a major drinker for 30 years and i have been able too stop just like that , in fact the doc who for obvious reasons knows a bit more about old jimbo than i can post here , said i'm one of the strongest people he has ever met ,there is no magic pill to cure you from grief my friend , i mean do i come across as a depressed person in my posts ... well i dont think i do :wah: :wah: but every one i thank you for your concerne but i'm fine honest ,i just wondered if any one had taken them pills the four hour stiffy seems ok though did you have a hard time with it ???:wah: :wah:
lizziemcg

Anxiety!

Post by lizziemcg »

I agree with others, take the meds your doctor recommended. Google the name, and let the doc know if you are having any of the side effects so the dosage can be adjusted, tests done, etc.

I used to have anxiety attacks -- really bad in college. The thing that actually helped me alot was to meet with a nutritionist and start watching what I eat... more fresh veggies, less salt and caffeine, etc. It may sound basic, but it really did help. She also recommended exercise, which I'm very bad about doing, but I do feel less tense when I've walked or done something.

You could also try meditation (which I now do all the time). Get some music (I'm a mom, so I have a cd of lullabyes that works well and I just do it with my kids); you can find good stuff specifically designed for meditation. It really can help you relax.

Hope these ideas help... but do take your meds. Take care,
along-for-the-ride

Anxiety!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I am glad to see these old threads revived. Good info here.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Mental Health”