A Question for the Pregos

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

I'm sure you all have heard about the new study that it is now proven that fish for unborn children is brain food and that the pros for the omega-3 fatty acids outweighs the cons of the mercury intake. Any thoughts and will you be changing your diet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6361253.stm
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I eat a lot of fish and my son has Eye Q oil. I believe it's true as he is amazingly intelligent.
Red

Post by Red »

I didnt really read any articles when pg but was still aware of the stories about mercury intake etc so was especially careful during pg, i only ate tuna but made sure it was a can a wk/fortnight, but i was like that in general with what i ate while carrying LL
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Sweet Tooth;555527 wrote: I'm sure you all have heard about the new study that it is now proven that fish for unborn children is brain food and that the pros for the omega-3 fatty acids outweighs the cons of the mercury intake. Any thoughts and will you be changing your diet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6361253.stm

Me no preggers, but the article says:

"In the UK, pregnant women are advised not to eat more than two tuna steaks a week (weighing about 140g cooked or 170g raw) or four medium-size cans of tuna a week (with a drained weight of about 140g per can) because of the levels of mercury."

Four tins of tuna - about 560g drained, apparently - is a lot of tuna, four or

more meals. You could always take a supplement (and suitable advice from

your doctor), or eat other fish (herrings, mackarel) if they haven' the same

mercury levels as sharks or tuna...
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

I love my smoked mackerel, oily fish is apparently the brain food and green veggies. I never get to eat the tuna as my cat always pinches it, lol.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Fish is good for preggers..............they do not sell mercury fish at the markets here. I would not eat anything caught from a lake or river if I were preggers.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Good for kids brains once they're here too. Been trying the EyeQ oil on my son, made his behaviour better.

Return to “Women's Health”