The Autobahn...?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

The Autobahn...?

Post by RedGlitter »

Has anyone ever been on it? Is it as amazing and safe as they make it out to be?
Carl44

The Autobahn...?

Post by Carl44 »

RedGlitter;554094 wrote: Has anyone ever been on it? Is it as amazing and safe as they make it out to be?

i dont know how safe it is but its fast i was doing 130 mph on it and these big mercs were on my bumper flashing their lights to get me outa their way and when i pulled and they were past me leaving me a speck in the distance in seconds they must of been doing 200mph honest :wah: :wah: :driving:
RedGlitter

The Autobahn...?

Post by RedGlitter »

:eek::eek: That's insane!!
Galbally

The Autobahn...?

Post by Galbally »

I've been on em loads of times as I lived in Germany, and yes, they are mental. But they work very well, as long as you are sensible. And yes the fast cars go very, very fast indeed. One of the reasons that Germans build such formidable cars I suppose.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Bill Sikes

The Autobahn...?

Post by Bill Sikes »

RedGlitter;554094 wrote: Has anyone ever been on it? Is it as amazing and safe as they make it out to be?

The roads have a worse safety record than UK motorways, but that may change

as more and more speed limits are imposed. A lot of the autobahn roads do have

speed limits (80MPH) - unlike in the UK, limits seem to be respected!
RedGlitter

The Autobahn...?

Post by RedGlitter »

Diuretic;554117 wrote:

At least they don't have any ghost-drivers now. These were people who would drive on the wrong side of the autobahn in the dark without lights. They stopped when the cops were given permission to shoot the driver.

*shudder* I got the biggest sense of creeps iomagining that....driving along and POOF! Your lights illuminate a car smack in front of you coming AT you! I almost needed new undies after reading that!
jennyswan

The Autobahn...?

Post by jennyswan »

Ok I lived in Germany for 5 years and my hubby is german so I know all about the Autobahn.

I feel the need, the need for speed :D

Seriously though the German's are really safe drivers. It's really expensive to get your license there. You have to have so many road hours, night and day and city and autobahn etc and all with a paid instructor. You are not allowed to drive on the road until you have all this experience and passed your exam.

I was never afraid on the Autobahn. It's maybe a bit intimidating coming from the US :D or UK or something because you can be driving at 120 and the cars pass you as if you were standing.
Galbally

The Autobahn...?

Post by Galbally »

Yes, the Germans are good efficient drivers as you would expect, but then the people on the autobahn driving are not always Germans, as you get French (mad), Italian (madder), Brits, (driving on the wrong side giving out to everyone else for not being British) all sorts of other EU people on the roads, they are a bit scary. Good roads though, but thats another discussion.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bill Sikes

The Autobahn...?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Galbally;554181 wrote: Yes, the Germans are good efficient drivers as you would expect, but then the people on the autobahn driving are not always Germans, as you get French (mad), Italian (madder), Brits, (driving on the wrong side giving out to everyone else for not being British) (snip)

Plus the odd Irish person driving down the middle! ;)
OzBoy

The Autobahn...?

Post by OzBoy »

Excuse my Aussie ignorance but are we talking about a really full on highway or something else traffic related?
jennyswan

The Autobahn...?

Post by jennyswan »

Bill Sikes;554220 wrote: Plus the odd Irish person driving down the middle! ;)

Yeah with our huge green monster trucks and tractor wheels. ;)
Galbally

The Autobahn...?

Post by Galbally »

Bill Sikes;554220 wrote: Plus the odd Irish person driving down the middle! ;)

Of course. Hehehe. :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

The Autobahn...?

Post by Galbally »

jennyswan;554244 wrote: Yeah with our huge green monster trucks and tractor wheels. ;)

Don't you mean 07 BMW 7 Series, and our Range Rover Sports???

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

The Autobahn...?

Post by Galbally »

OzBoy;554242 wrote: Excuse my Aussie ignorance but are we talking about a really full on highway or something else traffic related?

We are talking about the German national motorway (freeway, highway) system. It has no speed limit on many sections and people drive accordingly. Its quite an experience the first time you go on it. Being Germany, it all works very well.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Bill Sikes

The Autobahn...?

Post by Bill Sikes »

OzBoy;554242 wrote: Excuse my Aussie ignorance but are we talking about a really full on highway or something else traffic related?

What is a really full on highway? I thought you were born in Birmingham or somewhere!
OzBoy

The Autobahn...?

Post by OzBoy »

Bill Sikes;554252 wrote: What is a really full on highway? I thought you were born in Birmingham or somewhere!

No Bill thats just me slowly desecrating the English language! Im a true blue Aussie born and bred just living in London at the moment.

Back home we still call them highways or freeways as we haven't for whatever reason found the need to build such a thing yet but I reckon one between Melbourne and Sydney would be awesome although our attitude towards speeding and speed limits might bring that idea to a quick halt!
Bill Sikes

The Autobahn...?

Post by Bill Sikes »

OzBoy;554268 wrote:

Back home we still call them highways or freeways as we haven't for whatever reason found the need to build such a thing yet but I reckon one between Melbourne and Sydney would be awesome although our attitude towards speeding and speed limits might bring that idea to a quick halt!

This sort of thing might be interesting at 140!

http://www.ausfuel.com.au/images/Volvo%20cruising.JPG

Attached files
OzBoy

The Autobahn...?

Post by OzBoy »

Great pic Bill! hey that looks like my Uncles road train actually!!! oh no totally wrong colour :o

Imagine hitting a roo on an open speedlimit autobahn in one of those babies :driving:

Return to “General Chit Chat”