St Johns Wort/Anti-Depressants

FGChatter

Post by FGChatter »

Does anyone have any experience of taking SJW? I am having a lot of trouble in my marriage currently and have not been coping too well so, upon a friend's advice, started to take 340mg per day (tablet form) but I've not seen any benefit yet. Will it take longer than this to start feeling a bit more 'up' from taking this?

I don't know what to expect but I don't know if I should go the next step and ask for anti-depressants from the docs. Will these have a bigger, quicker effect? I am loathe to start taking A/Ds but I can't cope much longer. My head is battered. Will the SJW kick in soon or am I expecting too much as it is a herbal remedy.

Any advice please.

Thank you.

FGC x
Better to be late for your next appointment in this world, than to be early for your first appointment in the next.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Hey FGC...

Gotta agree with Ruewen here.. before you head for the pharmaceuticals, hit up a counselor or two.. talk to someone you trust... pastor.. dear friend..etc.. or even talk to the cause of your marital problems.. could be you guys aren't communicating on the same wave length.. Drugs ain't always the anwser.. (damn.. did I say that.. and aging deadhead... quick someone pass me the bong.. bwhahahahaha).. no serious side.. try alternatives before ya hit the hard stuff.. and even then I would look into holistic forms before chemical choices...

good luck..

be well....
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

I've taken St Johns Wort on occasion but its been many years. I didn't take it consistently, just every once in awhile when I felt depressed. I was too proud to actually go in and talk to someone. I'm also not sure if it was actually SJW that was actually having any effect, or my mood just lifted and I felt better. At any rate, here's a pretty good info page about it:

http://www.hypericum.com/

At any rate, I would talk to someone in the field, especially if your still depressed. (I probably should have) People who do get great results from the meds they are prescribed, or so I'm told.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
FGChatter

Post by FGChatter »

Hi There

Thank you for all your replies.

Yes, I'm currently undergoing individual counselling and my husband & I are also attending Relate so, yes, I am communicating and talking my problems through but they are just so huge, I'm struggling desperately. I've also got a 2 year old son whom I'm not as patient with as I should be and I hate myself for that. I'm finding myself snapping at him for things he would normally do that I would laugh at, it must be very confusing for him. If anti-depressants can calm me down and get me on more of an even keel and give me more patience with my beautiful boy, surely it's got to be worth it.

The suggestion of meditation could help - do they "teach" you to be calm? At the moment, I'm screaming endlessly inside and can't imagine being able to stop my heart racing enough to try & meditate.

Thanks for replying.

FGC

x
Better to be late for your next appointment in this world, than to be early for your first appointment in the next.
PoisonedElf25

Post by PoisonedElf25 »

I have taken SJW as a mood stabilizer and it worked great. It took a couple of weeks for it to kick in, but it worked great. I ran into a problem when I started taking medication for ADHD, nothing serious, just very wierd dreams. Might I suggest a book that is helping me and my wife? The book is called, "Getting the Love you Want," by Dr. Harville Hendrix. The book is great and will really open your eyes to your relationship with your husband. Another thing I would like to suggest is something our marrige counselor told my wife. My wife is having the same problem with getting very upset with our three year old daughter. The counselor suggested that she tell our daughter that, "Mommy is very cranky right now and needs a time out." You might try this. It seems to be working for my wife. I hope everything works out for you and your family in the end and I hope you feel better.
Semper Fidelis,

Joe D. Myers :sneaky:

JoeDMyers25@yahoo.com
koan

Post by koan »

The best natural mood stabilizer that I know of is a really good vitamin B complex. I know SJW was the craze but I have had huge success with vitamin Bs...specifically to increase my patience and reduce temper tantrums when I was moving and to lift depression a number of years ago. If the depression/moodiness has a cause then the best treatment is to deal with the cause. But vitamin B is good in the meantime.
minks

Post by minks »

FGChatter wrote: Does anyone have any experience of taking SJW? I am having a lot of trouble in my marriage currently and have not been coping too well so, upon a friend's advice, started to take 340mg per day (tablet form) but I've not seen any benefit yet. Will it take longer than this to start feeling a bit more 'up' from taking this?

I don't know what to expect but I don't know if I should go the next step and ask for anti-depressants from the docs. Will these have a bigger, quicker effect? I am loathe to start taking A/Ds but I can't cope much longer. My head is battered. Will the SJW kick in soon or am I expecting too much as it is a herbal remedy.

Any advice please.

Thank you.

FGC x

I have tried both, st johns wort first but it was not enough, (darn marital issues were my cause as well) then went to the dr and she put me onto extremely mild anti d's and for only 6 months she said. Well after things in my life leveled out, I went back after about 4 months and said get me off these now as I don't want to be dependant and it was a snap. And so worth the immediate aid they gave me

As well my vitamines and iron were bumped up as I was suffering from anemia grossly and that made a huge difference. So as long as it is a short term fix go for it. the Anti d's are great.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

FGChatter wrote: Does anyone have any experience of taking SJW? I am having a lot of trouble in my marriage currently and have not been coping too well so, upon a friend's advice, started to take 340mg per day (tablet form) but I've not seen any benefit yet. Will it take longer than this to start feeling a bit more 'up' from taking this?

Any advice please.

Thank you.

FGC x

I do nutrition work and make supplements.

I can tell you that using a single herb to solve a complex problem will not work. It doesn't mean that the herb might not have value in your total plan, but just popping the pill is a flawed approach.

SJW is the top floor. The ground floor is what you're eating, how much exercise you're getting, what other supplements you're using. You're essentially trying to put the roof on your house before you've built the foundation.

If you want some help with the nutritional parts of this, email.

Considering jumping next to a powerful anti-depressant is akin to jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

SSRI's Paxil, Zoloft and all of their ilk, basically recycle seratonin. The long term effect of this is that the body gets very lazy making seratonin, which makes it next to impossible to get off the drug. Great for the drug company, bad for you.

Your depression is the symptom. The problem is your marriage. Treating the symptom without dealing with the problem is the western model for healthcare. This is a great business model for selling drugs. It's a lousy model for recovery.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

from what i know you have to take 900mg of sjw to actually make any difference, this sounds a lot i know but the active ingriedient is very tiny in it, koan made a good suggestion with the vitimin b, if you talk with your doctor & she suggests anti depressants in a mild form go for it, as long as you get better, thats paramount
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

FGChatter wrote: Hi There

Thank you for all your replies.

Yes, I'm currently undergoing individual counselling and my husband & I are also attending Relate so, yes, I am communicating and talking my problems through but they are just so huge, I'm struggling desperately. I've also got a 2 year old son whom I'm not as patient with as I should be and I hate myself for that. I'm finding myself snapping at him for things he would normally do that I would laugh at, it must be very confusing for him. If anti-depressants can calm me down and get me on more of an even keel and give me more patience with my beautiful boy, surely it's got to be worth it.

The suggestion of meditation could help - do they "teach" you to be calm? At the moment, I'm screaming endlessly inside and can't imagine being able to stop my heart racing enough to try & meditate.

Thanks for replying.

FGC

x

Are you blood type O?

If so, the meditative techniques might not be effective. You'll likely need a more vigorous adrenal release in order to calm you.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I'm one of those people who thinks that throwing prescription meds at every problem is a really bad idea. I think a lot of what is wrong with us is in our minds and therefore can be "fixed" by the mind. The pharmaceutical companies are coming up with a drug for every imagined "ailment" and it's going to come to a time where we are taking pills just to function on a day-to-day basis. I am not at all suggesting you don't have a depression issue, but I am not a doctor either.

Natural remedies and preventive measures are a better way to go, IMO. I experienced some pretty good effects from SJW, but as another poster said, it took rather high doses. I also think that I was convinced this would do the trick for me, and again, the mind can do amazing things for the body, so that could have had something to do with it. I really like the suggestion for meditation. A clear mind and calm thoughts can help you see things more objectively. I have also used vitamin B supplements as Koan has suggested and the energy I got from B-12 was surprising. Sometimes it could be that you're just worn down from the stress of your marriage difficulties, and need a pick-me-up. Just don't be afraid to explore all your options, because there's lots of them out there! And always get a 2nd opinion when dealing with doctors.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

After being diagnosed with cancer and going through a divorce.. I was very short with my kids.. I tried the different food diet - becuase EVERYTHING you eat has something to do with your body.. I could not cope with everything and I did turn to an AD - I am not sad about it, infact I am very happy.. I find myself less short with the kids and my new hubby says I cry way less..I am on Zoloft and I think that it has made a BIG difference.. Not to be wierd or anything BUT there are side effects and some tend to take a toll on other parts of your marriage..Like sex.. BUT I know as long as my kids are seeing the positive side of me I will continue to take them becuase they are much more important to me then anything in this world.....I could not of gotten through the past 4 years with out them...I am starting to go to a Healing Arts Center here and its amazing - they are teaching more ways to deal with stress then crying and staying in bed...I am HAPPY HAPPY now!

Good LUck to you and know u r not alone.. Infact you can always come here and talk to us!!! :-6 :)

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
FGChatter

Post by FGChatter »

Thank you to you all for your advice. Can I take vit B12 in addition to the SJW?

I know the cause of my problem is my marriage and I am addressing that by going to Relate and also to an individual counsellor independently. My husband is trying very hard to make things right between us going forward but that will not change the fact that he slept with someone else and lied about it for 2 years. I am destroyed thinking about what he has done. I simply need something to help me through this hell-ish nightmare for the next couple of weeks/months whilst I see if the counselling & Relate can help me long-term. If not, I'll ditch both the SJW and the cheating b*stard!!
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

FGChatter wrote: Thank you to you all for your advice. Can I take vit B12 in addition to the SJW?

I know the cause of my problem is my marriage and I am addressing that by going to Relate and also to an individual counsellor independently. My husband is trying very hard to make things right between us going forward but that will not change the fact that he slept with someone else and lied about it for 2 years. I am destroyed thinking about what he has done. I simply need something to help me through this hell-ish nightmare for the next couple of weeks/months whilst I see if the counselling & Relate can help me long-term. If not, I'll ditch both the SJW and the cheating b*stard!!

There are two very different mogalities here, antidepressant drugs, and natural therapies. They work in entirely different ways.

Drugs are essentially disablers, in that they block an action, usually an enzyme, that facilitates some other action. This is, in a nutshell, SSRI's behavior. They block the enzme that breaks down seratonin, your "feel good" neurotransmitter.

They usually work quickly, if they're going to work at all.

Natural therapies, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, herbs, amino acids, are enablers, in that they usually help the body make more of a compound it needs to facilitate some process.

They work over a period of time, however, and not right away. They also do not work alone.

This is sort of important. Do intense periods make you nervous, anxious and panicky?

If so, SJW probably won't help. But there are things that will.

Also, the kinds of physical activity you do will play an important role as well.

If this is how your body is responding, meditation/yoga type activities won't work, either. You're going to want to do something more vigorous.

Are you blood type O, he asked, for a second time?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

i am very respectful of all that alobar51 says, he obviously has a great deal of knowledge, however i feel your doctor has access to your records & knows you as a person & therefore be the best person to advise you on the best course of action, please have some faith in him or her, its easy for people who have never experienced depression to dismiss it, of course that may not be what you have but if you do & there is a drug on the market that will lessen the effect to enable you to cope with it, well how can that be a bad thing, you are a responsible adult who can discuss with your doctor that it is something you would only wish to be on short term, take care of yourself & please keep us posted on whatever you decide, thinking & supporting of you in whatever decision you finally make

regards buttercup
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

FGChatter wrote: Thank you to you all for your advice. Can I take vit B12 in addition to the SJW?

I did, but again, as most everyone here has been saying, it's important to get a Dr.'s advice on all of it. We can share our experiences but only your Dr. can tell you what the best course of action is for you. Best of luck, and let us know how you're doing!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

alobar51 wrote: Considering jumping next to a powerful anti-depressant is akin to jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

SSRI's Paxil, Zoloft and all of their ilk, basically recycle seratonin. The long term effect of this is that the body gets very lazy making seratonin, which makes it next to impossible to get off the drug. Great for the drug company, bad for you.

sorry, but that's incorrect and misleading. there is no clinical evidence that SSRI's cause the body to become 'lazy' in making serotonin (thus implying that one becomes 'deficient' in serotonin). i can understand the confusion, most people have no idea at all how serotonin is actually used within the brain, and listening to the words 'selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor' might lead one to think that it's 'recycling' serotonin, but nothing could be further from the truth. in most depressed people, there is no shortage of serotonin at all. the problem is that the 5HTT receptors are too active in absorbing serotonin, and thus cause a deficit at the receptor sites - but not a deficit of the actual amount of serotonin present within the brain or body. serotonin is recycled *normally* within the brain. the SSRI's actually help slow down the rate at which recycling occurs, thus leading to a higher balance of serotonin at the nerve interface, where it can come to the balance that should be there if the 5HTT receptors weren't *overactive* in doing their job. SSRI's do not increase or decrease the amount of serotonin that's in your brain - they merely act to ensure that the serotonin stays longer at the nerve interface where it's supposed to be - where it would be, if the receptors weren't recycling faster than they should be.

Your depression is the symptom. The problem is your marriage. Treating the symptom without dealing with the problem is the western model for healthcare. This is a great business model for selling drugs. It's a lousy model for recovery.emotional symptoms are not synonymous with physical symptoms in applying the 'western' model. it makes a nice slogan, but it ignores that emotion symptoms can feed into themselves - you're having trouble in your marriage, you become depressed, that makes your mate even less interested in being around you. which makes dealing with the actual problem even that much more difficult. treating the symptoms can allow one to regain the emotional balance to be able to approach the actual marital problems without them taking as destructive a toll.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
FGChatter

Post by FGChatter »

Well, thank you for all your replies but you've baffled me with science with SSRIs and other technical info!!!!!

I will print the pages off and read them and try to understand them.

Re my blood type, I have no idea what that is but I've made a big step & made an appt to see my doctor next thursday (28th) so I will let you know how I go on. I will also ask the doc to confirm my blood type.

Thank you for your support.

FGC

xx
annabelle

Post by annabelle »

SJW is an excellent alternative treatment to prescribed medication for depression. It works in exactly the same way as conventional medicine but without the side effects.

If your depression is mild to moderate it's certainly worth giving it a try. Make sure it's taken at regular intervals and for at least three months minimum.

However, SJW is one of the few herbs that reacts quite severely with certain prescribed medication, in particular drugs which control epilepsy, indeed, it shouldn't be taken if you are on them.

As with conventional antidepressant's, you need to leave them off gradually when you feel the time is right and you no longer require them. Cut the dose down to every other day for a fortnight, and then appx every three days for a week. It's better to allow your body to become adjusted to a gradual withdrawal.

SJW is the preferred treatment for depression by General Practioners in several European countries, in fact it out sells Prozac.

I MUST reiterate though, it isn't so suitable if you are severly depressed in which case it's imperative you see your Doctor.

Hope this is helpful ... :)
Katy1

Post by Katy1 »

I've scanned this thread so sorry if I'm repeating this but just a word of advice, SJW has been proven to interfere with the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill. So be warned!!

Katy x
minks

Post by minks »

Katy1 wrote: I've scanned this thread so sorry if I'm repeating this but just a word of advice, SJW has been proven to interfere with the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill. So be warned!!

Katy x

and antibiotics as well, it is strongly reccommended one consult ones dr if using SJW and is perscribed any meds.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm not one to push drugs on anyone, but antidepressants saved my life. Actually.

I disagree with some of the things I've been reading here but that's moot right now.

St John never did anything for me but it's possible my chemical imbalance was too much for it and I needed something stronger.

While the concept that you "just need to fix your problems" is an honorable one, maybe your mental state helped cause your problems. I'm just offering that as a possibility. It's great that you are working them out but if you're snapping at your child and feeling as bad as you describe even though you're in counseling, you might need something to help bring you out of it. Mental drugs won't change your problems but they can make it so your problems seem more manageable and they can help even out your personality.
G-man

Post by G-man »

I believe, from my experience, that a drug or herb is dependent upon the individual... there are a great many factors that affect a drug or herbs effect. Personally, I no longer use any type of drug... I do use some herbs, but I like to believe that our bodies will naturally maintain themselves with help from us, by keeping fit and eating well. Now I don't push that thinking off on others... and just because a drug is artificial... doesn't necessarily mean it's always more powerful than herbs... some herbs can be rather dangerous if we assume that just because it's an herb we can take it with drugs and even in great quantities.

This is but one example, but... I can recall a good friend of mine was going in for surgery to remove a cyst, and asked for my advice, concerning arnica... her surgeon had already told her not to take anything, herb, aspirin or otherwise, and I told her absolutely not without asking her surgeon and certainly not with surgery scheduled in two days time... arnica has certain painkilling properties, yet... it tends to thin the blood, as well... and could prove to be rather dangerous during surgery if the surgeon is unaware of this fact.

Also, be careful by accepting just any advice concerning such serious issues... there's certainly nothing wrong with friendly advice for obtaining ideas or if you've had experience from a friend to relay to a professional, but... do ask a professional before taking another's advice... every individual reacts to such things differently, based on a number of factors. St. John's Wort apparently works on many, but... just as some anti-depressant drugs don't work on everyone. The problem with anti-depressants, however, is that once they're in your system... it's typically not a good idea to discontinue their use all of a sudden...

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

guppy

Post by guppy »

i agree with g. (good response)
guppy

Post by guppy »

did you know that one glass of alchohol increases your seratonin levels? but if you continue drinking it eventually decreases seratonin levels?

made me think that depressed people are more prone to drink because it can actually make you feel better for a short while. :-2
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

FGChatter wrote: Does anyone have any experience of taking SJW?

Might I suggest a search of FG for St. John's Wort? This topic has come up

before, you see, and there may be some old stuff worth reading. Note, if

you take this, it will be a week or 10 days before you notice any difference.

Holland & Barrett are the cheapest place to buy this stuff, IIRC. Wow -

something from a health food shop that:

a) Works,

b) Does not give you the runs.

Extraordinary!
Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily »

I wasn't depressed, but would suffer from anxiety attacks. Took SJW over a period of months - at vast expense - and according to my husband I was much more cheerful, and could certainly cope adequately with what had been making me anxious.

A good laugh works wonders too. I'm not being frivolous. Morcambe and Wise Christmas shows. Some Like It Hot. etc etc.
telephoto lens

Post by telephoto lens »

I have not had time (and do not have time) to read all the responces but here is my 2 cents:

Years ago I was depressed and tried everything I could to relieve the symptoms only to find that the depression I was enduring was a symptom of a completely unrelated physical problem: I had an hyper active adrenal gland.

Here are the therapies I tried:

SJW - it worked ok but not great because the cycle of adrenaline production/exhaustion completely distorted any possible benefits. When you are on SJW do not sunbathe because your skin will become photosensitive and you will burn easily; also, do not use it if you are pregnant.

L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that produces dopamine and norepineprine (sp?) in the brain. This worked the best and is inexpensive to use but there are 2 reasons why you would not use it:

1) You have a bad heart

2) and not unrelated, you have high blood pressure

Tyrosine raises your blood pressure and if you have the above problems could lead to having a heart attack. Tyrosine was tested at the Harvard School of Medicing and was proven effective with treating otherwise untreatable depression.

How to properly use Tyrosine? Tyrosine is to be taken on an empty stomach at upon waking with a glass of orance juice because oj-or a vitamen c drink helps to metabolize it rapidly. Then take another one in the afternoon, again, on an empty stomach. If you take Tyrosine and then eat it will completely destroy any benefit and will prove to be a pointless endeavor. Never take it at night because Tyrosine gives you a boost and you will be unable to sleep. Tyrosine can also be used for Parkinson's disease and it will give your sex drive a boost.

I tried Paxil and decided I would rather be depressed than continue this form of therapy. After I started taking Paxil I felt nothing. My emotions were sterolized and you could have dropped a brick on my foot and I would have smiled. "Look he is so happy." It also eliminated my ability to have a happy sex life. Then, oc course, the doctor wanted my to start taking the little blue pill and, at the time, I was a man of 35??????????????????? Taking Viagra. I decided to take my chances with depression rather than become chemically altered/adicted to medications I felt were not advantageous to my health. And if you ever try Paxil/Prozac.......and you want to get off of them here is what you do:

Do not stop taking it completely. Rather, for a month, take an 80% dose of what you were taking. Then the next month, take a 60% dose of what you were taking and continue over a 4-5 month period until your body/mind is weened off of this drug. The consequences of stop taking it completely could be dangerous because of severe emotional swings and their possible consequences.

I hope this has been hopeful and I wish you the best.

Rich

PS. I take a strong multi-vitamen everyday. Purchase multi vitamens from health food stores because they are stronger than name brand varieties. Vitamen B is (along with C) is water soulable so it will be flushed out of your system when you urinate. So you need a larger dose for it to have an effect on your body before it is flushed out.
cinamin

Post by cinamin »

I've taken it for years. That reminds me, I need to go buy another bottle. Honestly, I thought it made me feel better. But now that I havent been taking it, I still feel okay.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

cinamin;593182 wrote: I've taken it for years.

OK.

cinamin;593182 wrote: That reminds me, I need to go buy another bottle

Oh?

cinamin;593182 wrote: Honestly, I thought it made me feel better.

That's the desired result! Maybe SJW helped.

cinamin;593182 wrote: But now that I havent been taking it, I still feel okay.

Fantastic! Jolly good - hopefully it provided the necessary - what? - crutch? People

would laugh. Arm to lean on? Perhaps.

Return to “Drugs, Alcohol Tobacco”