Alaskan Malamute

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

Anyone have any experience of owning one?
Fibonacci

Alaskan Malamute

Post by Fibonacci »

I've never owned one but my cousin did. They're beautiful dogs.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
LilacDragon

Alaskan Malamute

Post by LilacDragon »

I haven't owned one myself but I will tell you what I have heard from people I do know that have them.

They are bred to pull sleds long distances. This means they have a ton of energy and are very strong. They also have a bit of "wanderlust" and just love to go for walks on their own.

They are a double coated breed so there will be lots of brushing and during spring and fall, when they shed, that undercoat will come out in CLUMPS.
Sandi

Lulu2

Alaskan Malamute

Post by Lulu2 »

I can confirm the shedding problem and the energy situation, too. If you get a dog which wants to be ALPHA, you'll have to work hard to establish yourself as leader. They can be very willful, to say the least.

BUT--loving, playful and loyal, too!

Choose carefully. Unless you have lots of time and energy, you might select another dog.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
LilacDragon

Alaskan Malamute

Post by LilacDragon »

Lulu2;543604 wrote: I can confirm the shedding problem and the energy situation, too. If you get a dog which wants to be ALPHA, you'll have to work hard to establish yourself as leader. They can be very willful, to say the least.

BUT--loving, playful and loyal, too!

Choose carefully. Unless you have lots of time and energy, you might select another dog.

If you do decide that this is the breed for you - DO YOUR HOMEWORK. You NEED to know what genetic issues are common in the breed or you may just walk yourself right into THOUSANDS of dollars in vet bills. Make sure you find a good breeder!
Sandi

RedGlitter

Alaskan Malamute

Post by RedGlitter »

Rather than go to a breeder, adopt one from a Malamute rescue. You don't necessarily need to start with a puppy to have a great dog. :)
Lulu2

Alaskan Malamute

Post by Lulu2 »

GMC, unless there's a specific reason for looking at a malamute, why not consider rescuing a mixed-breed, shelter dog? They're smart, loving and often healthier than some purebreds.

And...you'll have saved a life.

How often do you get to do that? ;)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
valerie

Alaskan Malamute

Post by valerie »

I've owned Huskies and a Mal/Husky/wolf.

Wonderful, wonderful sweet dogs when properly raised with lots

of socialization and WORK.

Would I ever own one again? No. These dogs are not for inexperienced

owners and can be a handful. It is VERY difficult to get a safe set-up

for them, they are definitely a "grass is greener the other side of the

fence" dog. Their inherited trait is to PULL. Walking on a leash can be

problematic. They are not a dog for an owner who works 8-10 hours

a day. They are not a dog for families with younger children who

may be careless about leaving the gate/front door open. They will

seize the opportunity to be 3 counties away.

They usually "blow coat" a couple times a year and that can overwhelm

an owner. We're talkin' MASSIVE amounts of fur. Everywhere. If

you have a spinning wheel, you're in luck! ;)

Very very glad to see someone asking first. Good for you.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

podted by Lulu

GMC, unless there's a specific reason for looking at a malamute, why not consider rescuing a mixed-breed, shelter dog? They're smart, loving and often healthier than some purebreds.

And...you'll have saved a life.

How often do you get to do that?

We live near a rescue centre and are in the process of registering with them. Our last dog was a big male standard poodle that was in the family from a pup but we had to learn how to curb the alpha male instinct. The only way we could tire the thing out was by taking it mountain biking which it loved. They are like the malamute in that they have fur growing on the pads so the snow didn't ball up on the pad and grow a waterproof coat that the snow just settled on.

The chance of a malalute pup came out of the blue or it will be a pup as it is not yet born. I've coveted one since I was a little kid we are used to big active dogs and since our hobbies are hillwalking and mountain biking the activity side is not a problem. In fact we want a dog that is up to that kind of activity-20-30 mile mountain bike rides or day long walks without collapsing. I work for myself from home and used always to take the dog with me in the car when out and about apart from summertime when its too hot to leave a dog in a car.

I'm wary hence the post to see if anyone had practical experience. I've had two sides of the character debate and one reason for the interest in a pup rather than an older dog is the bonding side of things when you raise a dog from a pup but a large dog i can't control is not an option i want.

my other reservation. How do they cope in summer? Scotland is not the riviera but the sumer is getting warmer every year-so is winter come to that.
Lulu2

Alaskan Malamute

Post by Lulu2 »

Northern breeds are seen here in So. California, too....as are polar bears (in zoos, of course) and other animals we think of as "cold weather." Animals are very adaptable and, in the case of a Malamute/Husky, etc, they just "throw" their coats.

Valerie's right....it's almost ALARMING if you've never seen it before. You could, in fact, KNIT ANOTHER DOG! :wah:

In the long run, I guess it depends on why you want a dog...do you want a loving pet? Then just about any "rescue" can fill your lives with joy. If you're wanting a "breed," then you need to be more particular and more educated about what's appropriate for the way you live.

I'm glad you're doing the research! Far too many people in apartments get Aussie sheep dogs, for example, without realizing the thousands of years' instincts built into them.
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

Lulu2;544335 wrote: Northern breeds are seen here in So. California, too....as are polar bears (in zoos, of course) and other animals we think of as "cold weather." Animals are very adaptable and, in the case of a Malamute/Husky, etc, they just "throw" their coats.

Valerie's right....it's almost ALARMING if you've never seen it before. You could, in fact, KNIT ANOTHER DOG! :wah:

In the long run, I guess it depends on why you want a dog...do you want a loving pet? Then just about any "rescue" can fill your lives with joy. If you're wanting a "breed," then you need to be more particular and more educated about what's appropriate for the way you live.

I'm glad you're doing the research! Far too many people in apartments get Aussie sheep dogs, for example, without realizing the thousands of years' instincts built into them.

We like dogs, it's not as a fashion accessory or a cuddly toy substitute. Anything under a foot tall is really a hamster substitute I find yappy wee things irritating. A big intelligent dog preferably that has the stamina for hill walking or mountain biking adds immensely to the enjoyment if said activity. Our last one loved the biking and frankly at one point it was he only way we could tire the thing out. First time i took it a long walk the dog collapsed on me-it was so excited I couldn't get it to eat or drink, after about 20 miles it collapsed and i had this horrible vision of having to carry a seven stone dog another five miles or so back to the car. some food and a drink and away it went again. But hence the concern about how they cope in the summer since it would curb our activities a lot if they have to stay in the shade all day-no trees on the hills you see.

I don't think you should get the same breed again as you always compare with the first one. huskies seem pretty brainless but looking in to it some of the genetic problems are a bit off putting so maybe a crossbreed malamute might be an option. Turns out there are plenty available so i will take my time about choosing.

I had an acquantance who raced huskies having six at one point so I appreciate what you mean about the fur.
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

Kathy Ellen;554943 wrote: Hi Gmc,

Nice to meet you. No, I have never owned a malamut, but my Dad did when he lived in Nome, Alaska. Will post a picture one day when I learn how to do it. They are fabulous looking dogs.

How did they cope in the summer?
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

O.K we've ended up with a dog from the local rescue centre-and eight week old dalmation cross, althogh it's not apparent what it was crossed with. No we're not calling it spot.
RedGlitter

Alaskan Malamute

Post by RedGlitter »

gmc;557867 wrote: O.K we've ended up with a dog from the local rescue centre-and eight week old dalmation cross, althogh it's not apparent what it was crossed with. No we're not calling it spot.

Congratulations! How great! I had a dalmatian up until last month when I had to put mine to rest. He too was a rescued dog. They have a good energy level and love to move around. You have to watch them in summer though because they can get sunburned easily.

I hope you and your new friend have a long happy life together! :)
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

RedGlitter;557993 wrote: Congratulations! How great! I had a dalmatian up until last month when I had to put mine to rest. He too was a rescued dog. They have a good energy level and love to move around. You have to watch them in summer though because they can get sunburned easily.

I hope you and your new friend have a long happy life together! :)

This being scotland the chance to get sunburned is rare, weatherbeaten is more like it.
fisher

Alaskan Malamute

Post by fisher »

What is the difference between a husky and a Malamute? Are they the same breed?
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

fisher;558740 wrote: What is the difference between a husky and a Malamute? Are they the same breed?

similar not the same

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/malamutes.html

laskan Malamutes originated with a group of native Innuits known as the Mahlemiut. The dogs of that time were very large freighting dogs capable of pulling heavy weight in extreme conditions. The Mahlemiut people mainly inhabited the upper part of the Anvik river in Alaska, but were spread over a wide region. The Malamute was used to haul food back to the villages. It was used as a heavy freighting dog, able to pull a tremendous amount of weight over long distances at a steady pace. The gold rush of 1896 created a high demand for these dogs.

http://www.bms.ed.ac.uk/services/staff/ ... istory.htm

Today’s Siberian Husky, along with the Alaskan Malamute and the Samoyed, are all direct descendants of the Tomarctus and belong to the sled dog group. The Siberian Inuits depended on these dogs very heavily for survival against the cruel forces of the Arctic region. Their dogs would pull heavy sledges across frozen tundra over great distances, they would assist in the hunting and in the summer they carried heavy loads of woods as a pack for storage for the next merciless winter.

Huskies are roughly collie sized malamutes are much bigger and stronger.
fisher

Alaskan Malamute

Post by fisher »

gmc;558879 wrote: similar not the same

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/malamutes.html

http://www.bms.ed.ac.uk/services/staff/ ... istory.htm

Huskies are roughly collie sized malamutes are much bigger and stronger.

Thank you very much for the info.
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
gmc

Alaskan Malamute

Post by gmc »

I read this when I was a little kid. Have wanted to go to alaska ever since, I was on my way thee when I met my wife and got married instead but that's a really depressing story.

http://www.literature.org/authors/londo ... hite-fang/

That and call of the wild.

Return to “Pets Animals”