Munich, a quick guide by Galbally.

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I've been doing a spot of travel writing, here's a sample, hope you find it enjoyable.

Munich, Germany, by Galbally

I worked and lived in Munich (or Munchen, as it is called by its inhabitants) during much of 1992 and 1993, and in that time came to love and appreciate the place that is considered Germany’s second city, and one of the cultural and economic centres of an area of the continent once called "Central Europe". Munich is the capital of the southernmost German state, Bavaria. It’s a large city, with a population of roughly 2 million, and is famous for being the place where BMW’s and beer come from. However, what many people do not realize is the cultural importance of Munich in German life, its beauty, and its way of life, that is so different from Northern German cities. Bavaria was traditionally one of the Catholic German states and had much in common with Austria, (its immediate German-speaking neighbour to the south). It has also had close links, always, with Bohemia, Northern Italy and Switzerland, and has been a place where many European cultural influences have met and flourished, and particularly within Munich itself, the outstanding city of the region and the state.

Munich, (in terms of its cultural life at least), has much more in common with cities like Prague and Vienna than it does with northern German cities such as Berlin or Hamburg. Munich is at once a place that is absolutely German, but also not the typical German city of the English speaking imagination. Street life and café culture are more like northern Italy, than the Potsdammer platz aesthetic of Berlin, and also the character of the people who live in Munich ranges from the highly traditional, conservative, and catholic Bavarian stereotype, to the wildly avant garde and fearless denizens of artistic quarters such as the Ostbahnoff.

The city’s architecture is traditional German, but the stolidity of the Germanic style, is offset by a definite Italian Baroque influence, that gives it a lighter air than comparable places within the country. Again, the nearest comparisons are really Austrian or Czech rather than German. The city centre is very well appointed with Marienplatz as its traditional market-square type centre, (from which everything else is readily accessible), and also being quite compact, walking is a real option in this town. Enlightened transport policies have ensured that Munich has not suffered the “death by traffic” syndrome that many European cities, (particularly British and Irish ones) have succumbed to over the years. Being Germany, the city (of course) has a world-standard metro system, called the U-Bahn, and it also has suburban rail (S-Bahn), trams, and buses, which are all linked together with inescapable German efficiency to provide a city that you can actually get around in without resorting to a hire car or endless taxis. Also, the Olympic Games were famously held in Munich in 1972 and the Olympic stadium has become a focus of the city’s modern identity. The stadium remains an impressive feat even today.

Munich is situated on the Isar river, its name derives in German from “the place of the monks” and its history goes back into the early times following the establishment of the Holy Roman Empire. It was the seat of the Landsratt of Bavaria, and occasional home city of the king of the little state, with the most famous being "mad" King Ludwig III of Bavaria, who almost bankrupted the state, and insured its eventual accession into the federal German nation that was created by Bismarck (the Iron Chancellor of Prussia/Brandenburg in the 1860s).

The darker aspect to Munich’s history is its role in the rise of the Nazi’s in the 1920s, Munich was a base for Nazism at this time, and the Ratthaus in Marienplatz was a regular meeting place for Hitler and his cronies in the early days, his attempted beer hall putsch in 1923 was also here, and he spend time in jail in Munich for it. Once in power, the Nazi’s first major concentration camp was Dachau, which is a suburb of Munich itself. Although Munich is not exactly very vocal about its role in the rise of Nazism, there are local exhibits and places of interest that are linked to this period and the remains of Dachau are still open to the public, and make for a sobering insight into the reality of the horrific concentration camp system. Aside from this dark period of German history, Munich is full of wonderful places to visit and enjoy including the peerless German National Museum of Science and Technology, (The Deutsches Museum), the English Garden, the Nymphenburg Palace or the Hofbrauhaus, all are world famous and deservedly so, though there are many other smaller, yet just as interesting places within the city and its hinterland such as the Andechs Monastery and its brewery, which allegedly creates the worlds strongest beer!

Of course, mentioning that brings me to Munich’s biggest claim to fame in terms of world tourism. This is the now legendary Oktoberfest, which is the world’s largest beer drinking festival and runs during the month of October every year, when the city becomes the home of beer lovers from all over the world, who sit in massive marquees in the English Garden and other city parks and drink lots of the city’s world famous brews. If you love beer and all things beer-related in that kitsch German drinking way, then the Oktoberfest is heaven, if you do not like crowds, beer, and lederhosen, then avoid Munich in October!

The city also boasts many other attractions and architectural treasures including the Rezidence, the Neue (and Alte) Pinakothek, the Frauenkirche, the Bavarian State Opera House, and outside the city towards the Bavarian alps is the must-see Palace Neuschwanstein, the world’s archetypal fairy-tale castle, built on a mountain top at ruinous expense by "Mad" King Ludwig III (again) of Bavaria. Munich is also home to two of Germany’s most famous soccer teams, with Bayern Munich being the one most soccer fans know, both now play in the new Allianz Stadium, built for the World Cup 2006, which has superseded the city’s original Olympic stadium in terms of its top sporting facility.

Munich is of course well served by transport links, and has an ultra modern international airport and most of the major European airlines run a service to the city. Munich is a very wealthy city because of its superb industries and is not cheap, however, it is good value generally, as accommodation is excellent, as is food, public transport, and all of the city's civic facilities. Among the joys of Munich is the friendliness and warmth of its people, the relaxed and pedestrian-friendly nature of the city centre, its many parks and amenities, its unexpected treasures and architectural gems, the nightlife, and the rich cultural life, which makes it a pleasant change from some of the more congested and tourist-trap cities of Europe. Information on getting to Munich, staying there, and what to do once you are there is available from the Munich Tourist Office, which you can visit online at

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/tourist_office >

Enjoy your stay, and as the Bavarians say "Gruss Gott!"
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
loser

Post by loser »

Is a real good article Galbally. Well done.

Like you, I lived in Munich for a period of time. What part of Munich did you live? It is extremely different to when you lived there. Political correctness prevents me from explaining why it is not the same. Note that the Bavarian state is the most conservative in the whole of Germany.

One of the great advantages of Munich is its locality. You are extremely close to most of the beautiful cities of Europe. A short train journey from the romantic capital of the world, Salzburg. And you can still say Gruss Gott there, as it is classed as Bavaria as well.

For restaurants in Munich, try the island trader. It has an english feel as well as it is the restaurant that Liam Gallagher got his head punched in haha.

The best street for restaurants would be Leopold street in the flash area of Schwabing.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

loser;543095 wrote: Is a real good article Galbally. Well done.

Like you, I lived in Munich for a period of time. What part of Munich did you live? It is extremely different to when you lived there. Political correctness prevents me from explaining why it is not the same. Note that the Bavarian state is the most conservative in the whole of Germany.

One of the great advantages of Munich is its locality. You are extremely close to most of the beautiful cities of Europe. A short train journey from the romantic capital of the world, Salzburg. And you can still say Gruss Gott there, as it is classed as Bavaria as well.

For restaurants in Munich, try the island trader. It has an english feel as well as it is the restaurant that Liam Gallagher got his head punched in haha.

The best street for restaurants would be Leopold street in the flash area of Schwabing.

Thank you, yes I lived in Trudering on the S-5 when I lived there, which was a nice suburb, but there were problems when I lived there as well, like anywhere, and nowadays of course, all these problems are being exacerbated by the political situation in the world. I really loved Munich I must say, its a great city, and like you say, its very close to Austria, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Switzerland, and many beautiful places. And thanks for the updates on the newer place, I used to drink in "Schwabner Siebens" in the Schawbing, but it was one rough bar, Island trader? I don't think that was there when I was in Munich last, but I will have a look on the net, any other info you can give me on up to date stuff like that?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Pinky;543116 wrote: Cool, that's a really well written, informative piece!

All the times I've been to Germany have all been to the North end, Hamburg or Lubeck. Next time I go I'll have to go and see Mad Ludvig's castle, I hear it's out of this world!

Well its up a mountain anyway! :wah: You would love it, and you would love the beer fest as well, you would also look great in traditional german wench uniform with 2 masse glasses in your hands, lovely! :sneaky:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
loser

Post by loser »

Pinky;543116 wrote: Next time I go I'll have to go and see Mad Ludvig's castle, I hear it's out of this world!

Some americans who visit it, think that it the castle was copying the disneyland castle :wah: True story.
loser

Post by loser »

Pinky;543168 wrote: OMG, no way!!!:wah:

It's like when the film 'George III' was released. I actually heard people say 'But I haven't seen George one or two yet?!'

:yh_eyerol :yh_doh

Yep, history isn't some peoples strong point. :wah:

Return to “Travel Vacation”