Fiji - not a holiday destination any more

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

That's heartbreaking, isn't it? I hope the site manages to stay up and I hope they manage to stay alive!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
loser

Post by loser »

Diuretic;539688 wrote: It's very sad. We aren't getting much information out of the Fiji right now but it doesn't look good, the military is running the show and they're doing so with a very heavy hand.

Diuretic, what part of Fiji are you wanting to go to? If you go to the islands or the main resorts, you won't be affected at all. The best islands to go to are in the north. Probability is that they won't even know that a coup is on. Any people conducting the coup have no grind against westerners, its mainly against the government or the indian immigrants.

Go to Fiji and have a great time. It is a great country and just at your doorstep. Bula
Lon

Post by Lon »

I wouldn't sweat it. Fiji's present coup, like their past coups, are pretty benign. The last thing they want to do is scare away tourists. My daughter arrived there yesterday for a one week stay at a island off Raki Raki, near the norteast coast.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Whenever coups happen, environments suffer! This is well-documented and I hate to think of it. Obviously, I'm concerned about the people, too. They can take care of themselves, eventually....but I worry about the animals.

OK..you know me!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
loser

Post by loser »

Unfortunately Fiji has military coups like they have hurricanes, about every 5-7 years. Much of the time, the military coups are to do with non political things. E.g, a person owes a large debt to the fijian government. A normal person would attempt a pay back scheme or file for bankruptcy. In Fiji, they grab a coupe of 4wd's, storm parliament and hold the parliament to ranson for a couple of months. It is insane really. Speight, Rambuka, they all have their own agenda.

The thing you have to think about is that Fiji is a poor country and depends on tourism. Most of the resorts are foreign owned but they employ fijian nationals who all have families and depend on this income to live. By going to Fiji, you are supporting innocent fijian people regardless of the political situation. It is a really beautiful country. You will love it and will be indirectly helping fijians if you travel to Fiji. :)

Return to “Travel Vacation”