Herbology 101

koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

From The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal David Hoffmann, ISBN 1-85230-758-7

Having been asked in another thread about herbs I used for a particular ailment, I thought it would be far more useful to list what I feel is a more complete description of how herbs work and herbs that are specific to certain types of ailments. I highly recommend the book I'm listing the information from, it is the best overall quick reference guide that I've ever found. I've taken a course on herbology but this book is sufficient to allow people to use herbs in an effective and informed way.

Posts to follow will include:

The actions of herbs from pages 36-39

Therapeutic index from pages 46-47

I will finish the posts with the specifics for "Wounds". Until then I respectfully ask that no one else post here until I have completed the entries. Anyone with further information or links to further information is gratefully welcome to post after I have concluded.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

The Actions of Herbs

the underlined herbs are considered more important or useful in that category.

Alterative

gradually restore the proper function of the body and increase health and vitality. They were at one time known as "blood cleansers"

Bladderwrack, Blue Flag, Bogbean, Burdock, Cleavers, Echinacea, Figwort, Fringetree, Fumitory, Garlic, Guaiacum, Golden Seal, Mountain Grape, Nettles, Pasque Flower, Poke Root, Queen's Delight, Red Clover, Sarsaparilla, Sassafras, Wild Indigo, Yellow Dock

Analgesic, Anodyne

reduce pain and are either applied externally or taken internally

Hops, Jamaican Dogwood, Lady's Slipper, Passion Flower, Red Poppy, Skullcap, St. John's Wort, Valerian.

Anti-Catarrhal

help the body to remove excess catarrhal build-ups whether these occur in the sinus area or in other parts of the body.

American Cranesbill, Bearberry, Boneset, Cayenne, Coltsfoot, Echinacea, Elder, Elecampane, Eyebright, Garlic, Golden Seal, Golden Rod, Hyssop, Iceland Moss, Irish Moss, Marshmallow, Mullein, Peppermint, Sage, Thyme, Wild Indigo, Yarrow
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Anti-emetic

reduce a feeling of nausea and can help to relieve or prevent vomiting

Balm, Black Horehound, Cayenne, Cloves, Dill, Fennel, Lavender, Meadowsweet, Peach Leaves.

Anti-inflammatory

help the body to combat inflammations

Black Willow, Bogbean, Chamomile, Devil's Claw, Marigold, Meadowsweet, St. John's Wort, White Poplar, Witch Hazel.

Anti-microbial

can help the body to destroy or resist pathogenic micro-organisms

Aniseed, Bearberry, Caraway Oil, Cayenne, Clove, Coriander, Echinacea, Elecampagne, Garlic, Gentian, Juniper, Marigold, Marjoram, Myrrh, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Southernwood, Thyme, Wild Indigo, Wormwood

Anti-spasmodic

can prevent or ease spasms or cramps

Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Chamomile, Cramp Bark, Lady's Slipper, Lime Blossom, Lobelia, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Pasque Flower, Skullcap, Skunk Cabbage, Thyme, Valerian, Vervain, Wild Lettuce, Wild Yam
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Aromatic

have strong, often pleasant odour and can stimulate digestive system. Often used to improve aroma and taste of other medicines.

Angelica, Aniseed, Balm, Caraway, Cardamon, Celery, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Hyssop, Ginger, Meadowsweet, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Rosemary, Valerian, Wood Betony.

Astringent

contract tissue. Can reduce secretions and discharges. They contain tannins.

Agrimony, American Cranesbill, Avens, Bayberry, Bearberry, Beth Root, Bistort, Black Catechu, Bugleweed, Eyebright, Golden Rod, Ground Ivy, Kola, Lungwort, Meadowsweet, Mouse Ear, Oak, Periwinkle, Pilewort, Plantain, Raspberry, Red Sage, Rhubarb Root, Rosemary, Slippery Elm, St. John's Wort, Tormentil, Wild Cherry, Witch Hazel, Yarrow.

Bitter

act as stimulating tonics for the digestive system through a reflex via the taste-buds.

Barberry, Boneset, Centaury, Chamomile, Gentian, Golden Seal, Hops, Rue, Southernwood, Tansy, White Horehound, Wormwood, Yarrow.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Carminative

relax the stomach, thereby supporting the digestion and helping reduce gas in the digestive tract.

Angelica, Aniseed, Balm, Black Mustard, Caraway, Cardamon, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Chamomile, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Galangal, Garlic, Ginger, Hyssop, Juniper, Peppermint, Sage, Thyme, Valerian

Cholagogue

stimulates release of bile, acts as a laxative.

Balmony, Barberry, Black Root, Blue Flag, Boldo, Dandelion, Fringetree, Fumitory, Gentian, Golden Seal, Mountain Grape, Wahoo, Wild Yam.

Demulcent

are rich in mucilage and can soothe and protect irritated or inflamed internal tissue

Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Corn Silk, Couchgrass, Flax Seed, Irish Moss, Lungwort, Licorice, Mallow, Marshmallow, Mullein, Oats, Parsley Piert, Slippery Elm.

Diaphoretic

aid the skin in the elimination of toxins and promote perspiration.

Angelica, Bayberry, Boneset, Buchu, Cayenne, Chamomile, Elder, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Golden Rod, Guaiacum, Lime Blossom, Peppermint, Pleurisy Root, Prickly Ash, Thuja, Thyme, White Horehound, Yarrow.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Diuretic

increase the secretion and elimination of urine

Agrimony, Bearberry, Blue Flag, Boldo, Boneset, Borage, Broom, Buchu, Bugleweed, Burdock, Celery Seed, Cleavers, Corn Silk, Couchgrass, Dandelion, Elder, Gravel Root, Hawthorn Berries, Juniper, Kola, Lily of the Valley, Lime Blossom, Night Blooming Cereus, Parsley, Parsley Piert, Pellitory of the Wall, Saw Palmetto, Sea Holly, Stone Root, Wild Carrot, Yarrow.

Emmenagogue

tonics for female reproductive system

Beth Root, Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Blessed Thistle, Blue Cohosh, Chamomile, Chaste Tree, Cramp Bark, False Unicorn Root, Fenugreek, Gentian, Ginger, Golden Seal, Juniper Berry, Marigold, Motherwort, Mugwort, Parsley, Pasque Flower, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Raspberry, Red Sage, Rosemary, Rue, Southernwood, Squaw Vine, Tansy, True Unicorn Root, Vervain, Wormwood, Yarrow.

Emollient

applied to the skin to soften, soothe or protect it.

Borage, Chickweed, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Elecampane, Fenugreek, Flax Seed, Licorice, Mallow, Marshmallow, Mullein, Plantain, Quince Seed, Slippery Elm.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Expectorant

helps with removal of excess mucus from the respiratory system.

Aniseed, Balm of Gilead, Balsam of Tolu, Blood Root, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Elder Flower, Elecampane, Garlic, Golden Seal, Grindelia, Hyssop, Iceland Moss, Irish Moss, Licorice, Lobelia, Lungwort, Marshmallow, Mouse Ear, Mullein, Pleurisy Root, Senega, Skunk Cabbage, Squill, Thuja, Thyme, Vervain, White Horehound, Wild Cherry.

Febrifuge, Anti-pyretic

helps bring down fevers

Angelica, Balm, Blessed Thistle, Boneset, Borage, Cayenne, Elder Flower, Hyssop, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Peruvian Bark, Pleurisy Root, Prickly Ash, Raspberry, Red Sage, Thyme, Vervain.

Hepatic

aids the liver by toning and strengthening it.

Agrimony, Aloe, Balm, Balmony, Barberry, Black Root, Blue Flag, Boldo, Bogbean, Cascara Sagrada, Celery, Centaury, Cleavers, Dandelion, Elecampane, Fennel, Fringetree, Fumitory, Gentian, Golden Seal, Horseradish, Hyssop, Motherwort, Mountain Grape, Prickly Ash, Wahoo, Wild Indigo, Wild Yam, Wormwood, Yarrow, Yellow Dock.
devist8me

Herbology 101

Post by devist8me »

Got one that helps produce more milk (in addition to Fenugreek)?
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Hypnotic

induces sleep (not hypnotic trance)

Chamomile, California Poppy, Hops, Jamaican Dogwood, Mistletoe, Passion Flower, Skullcap, Valerian, Wild Lettuce.

Laxative

promotes the evacuation of the bowels

Balmony, Barberry, Buckthorn, Burdock, Cascara Sagrada, Cleavers, Dandelion, Flax Seed, Fringetree, Mountain Grape, Pellitory of the Wall, Rhubarb Root, Senna, Wahoo, Yellow Dock.

Nervine

tones and strengthens the nervous system. Some act as stimulants and some as relaxants. Please look up specific herbs for more information.

Balm, Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Blue Cohosh, Bugleweed, Chamomile, Cramp Bark, Damiana, Ginseng, Hops, Kola, Lady's Slipper, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Lime Blossom, Lobelia, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Oats, Pasque Flower, Passion Flower, Peppermint, Red Clover, Rosemary, Skullcap, Valerian, Vervain, Wild Lettuce.

Pectoral

general strengthening and healing effect of the respiratory system

Angelica, Aniseed, Balm of Gilead, Balsam of Tolu, Blood Root, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Elder, Elecampane, Garlic, Golden Seal, Hyssop, Iceland Moss, Irish Moss, Licorice, Lungwort, Marshmallow, Mouse Ear, Mullein, Pleurisy Root, Senega, Skunk Cabbage, Vervain, White Horehound.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Sedative

calm the nervous system, reduce stress and nervousness throughout the body.

Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Blue Cohosh, Boldo, Bugleweed, Chamomile, Cowslip, Cramp Bark, Hops, Jamaican Dogwood, Lady's Slipper, Lobelia, Motherwort, Pasque Flower, Passion Flower, Red Clover, Red Poppy, Skullcap, St. John's Wort, Valerian, Wild Cherry, Wild Lettuce.

Sialagogue

stimulate the secretion of saliva

Blue Flag, Cayenne, Centaury, Gentian, Ginger, Prickly Ash, Senega

Stimulant

quicken and enliven the physiological functions of the body.

Angelica, Balm of Gilead, Balmony, Bayberry, Black Mustard, Caraway, Cardamon, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Galangal, Garlic, Gentian, Ginseng, Ground Ivy, Horseradish, Juniper, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Prickly Ash, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Southernwood, Tansy, White Horehound, Wormwood, Yarrow.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Tonic

strenthen and enliven either specific organs or the whole body. This long list makes more sense when read in conjunction with other sections of the book for specific body systems.

Agrimony, Angelica, Aniseed, Balm, Balmony, Bayberry, Beth Root, Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Black Mustard, Black Root, Bogbean, Boldo, Boneset, Buchu, Bugleweed, Burdock, Calumba, Carline Thistle, Cayenne, Centaury, Chamomile, Cleavers, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Condurango, Couchgrass, Damiana, Dandelion, Echinacea, Elecampane, Eyebright, False Unicorn Root, Fringetree, Fumitory, Garlic, Gentian, Ginseng, Golden Seal, Gavel Root, Grindelia, Hawthorn, Horsechestnut, Hydrangea, Hyssop, Iceland Moss, Lady's Slipper, Licorice, Lime Blossom, Marigold, Motherwort, Mountain Grape, Mugwort, Myrrh, Nettles, Oats, Parsley, Poke Root, Raspberry, Red Clover, Sarsaparilla, Skullcap, Squaw Vine, Tamarind, Thyme, Vervain, Virginia Snake Root, Wood Betony, Wormwood, Yarrow, Yellow Dock.

Vulnerary

applied externally to aid in the healing of wounds and cuts.

Aloe, American Cranesbill, Arnica, Bistort, Black Willow, Burdock, Chickweed, Cleavers, Comfrey, Daisy, Elder, Elecampane, Fenugreek, Flax Seed, Garlic, Golden Seal, Greater Plantain, Horsetail, Hyssop, Irish Moss, Marigold, Marshmallow, Mullein, Myrrh, Shepherd's Purse, Slippery Elm, St. John's Wort, Thyme, Witch Hazel, Wood Betony, Yarrow.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Tomorrow I'll tackle the Therapeutic List which gives herbs for specific ailments.

I've left off parts of the actions of herbs lists that I feel people should avoid without having deeper knowledge of herbs before trying. Things such as those that induce vomiting, purge parasites, affect the heart or ease giving birth.

I will also make a list of the herbs I tried to always keep in stock, underlining the ones I used on a regular basis.

You might notice that a number of the herbs have many properties. That is why I suggest looking up each herb before using it to see the full range of effects it will have. I try not to combine more than four herbs in any one tea as I find it reduces the effectiveness of each. Some of the herbs have cautions. Wormwood can be dangerous in high doses, it is also used in the manufacturing of Absinthe.

If you decide to use herbal remedies, be aware of what you are taking and how much.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

My usual stock of basic herbs is as follows:

Cayenne (good quality capsules - emptied into tea before drinking), Hyssop, Mullein, Yarrow, Cleavers, Nettles, Golden Seal, Licorice, Valerian, Thyme, Sage, Marshmallow, Elder Flower, Peppermint (herbs with volatile oils must be closely covered during steeping), Chamomile.

Teas are generally made by infusion by pouring water just off the boil onto the herbs and letting it steep for about 12 minutes. Strain to drink. If the herbs are hard and woody then make a decoction by putting the herbs in a small pot, add water, bring to boil and simmer for about 12 minutes in the pot. Strain to drink.
Nomad

Herbology 101

Post by Nomad »

Pinky;525767 wrote: Oh cool!!!

I used to do a fair bit with herbs at one time, but I need to brush up again.

I still make the odd bits and pieces, mainly elderflower cordial when the elderflowers are out, of course.

Are you going to get on Pinky ? Catfight ?

She posted this right after you said no posting.
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Nomad;526063 wrote: Are you going to get on Pinky ? Catfight ?

She posted this right after you said no posting.

and now you have.

I've learned to live with social deviants. :D
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Therapeutic Index

Abscess

Echinacea, Garlic, Marshmallow, Myrrh, Wild Indigo, Blue Flag, Cleavers, Coltsfoot, Fenugreek, Golden Seal, Mallow, Poke Root.

Acne

Blue Flag, Cleavers, Echinacea, Garlic, Poke Root, Wild Indigo

Adenoids

Cleavers, Echinacea, Garlic, Golden Seal, Marigold, Poke Root, Wild Indigo

Anxiety

California Poppy, Chamomile, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Pasque Flower, St. John's Wort, Skullcap, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Balm, Betony, Cowslip, Damiana, Hops, Hyssop, Oats, Passion Flower, Peppermint, Vervain

Appendicitis

Agrimony, American Cranesbill, Golden Seal, Wild Yam

Appetite Loss

Calamus, Centaury, Condurango, Gentian, Mugwort, Wormwood, Balmony, Blessed Thistle, Calumba, Caraway, Cardamon, Chamomile, Galangal, Golden Seal, Quassia, Southernwood, Tansy, White Poplar

Arteriosclerosis

Lime, Hawthorn, Mistletoe

Arthritis

Black Cohosh, Bogbean, Celery Seed, Guaiacum, Prickly Ash, Wild Yam, Bittersweet, Daisy, Juniper, Meadowsweet, Scots Pine, Silver Birch, White Poplar, Wintergreen, Yarrow

Asthma

Elecampane, Ephedra, Grindelia, Lobelia, Pill-bearing Spurge, Sundew, Wild Cherry, Balsam of Tolu, Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Blood Root, Blue Cohosh, Butterbur, Coltsfoot, Mullein, Pasque Flower, Senega
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Blood Pressure (High)

Hawthorn, Lime Blossom, Mistletoe, Yarrow, Balm, Black Haw, Cramp Bark, Garlic

Boils

Blue Flag, Echinacea, Garlic, Myrrh, Pasque Flower, Poke Root, Wild Indigo, Chickweed, Cleavers, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Fenugreek, Figwort, Flax Seed, Greater Plantain, Mallow, Marshmallow

Bronchitis

Blood Root, Coltsfoot, Echinacea, Elecampane, Garlic, Grindelia, Lobelia, Mouse Ear, Mullein, Pill-bearing Spurge, Pleurisy Root, Senega, Sundew, White Horehound, Angelica, Aniseed, Balm of Tolu, Caraway, Carline Thistle, Comfrey, Cowslip, Ephedra, Fennel, Fenugreek, Flax Seed, Greater Plantain, Ground Ivy, Horseradish, Hyssop, Iceland Moss, Ipecacuanha, Irish Moss, Licorice, Mallow, Marshmallow, Nasturtium, Pansy, Scots Pine, Soapwort, Squill, Sweet Violet, Thyme, Wild Cherry

Bruises

Arnica, Elder, Chickweed, Cucumber, Lady's Mantle, Marigold, St. John's Wort

Burns

Aloe, Elder, Marigold, Greater Plantain, St. John's Wort, Chamomile, Chickweed, Comfrey, Cucumber, Quince Seed

Catarrh

Echinacea, Elder, Eyebright, Garlic, Golden Rod, Golden Seal, Mouse Ear, Mullein, Peppermint, Pine, Poke Root, Avens, Balsam of Tolu, Bistort, Chamomile, Coltsfoot, Daisy, Fenugreek, Grindelia, Ground Ivy, Hyssop, Iceland Moss, Mallow, Myrrh, Pill-bearing Spurge, Sweet Violet, Wild Indigo

Chilblains

Cayenne, Ginger, Black Mustard, Horsetail, Prickly Ash

Circulation

Cayenne, Ginger, Prickly Ash, Black Mustard, Horseradish, Rosemary

Colds

Angelica, Cayenne, Elder, Garlic, Ginger, Golden Rod, Golden Seal, Hyssop, Peppermint, Yarrow, Avens, Bayberry, Catnip, Cowslip, Echinacea, Eyebright, Fenugreek, Lime Blossom, Marjoram

Colic

Angelica, Boldo, Calamus, Condurango, Cramp Bark, Gentian, Ginger, Peppermint, Valerian, Wild Yam, Allspice, Aniseed, Avens, Balmony, Blessed Thistle, Blue Cohosh, Butterbur, Caraway, Cardamon, Catnip, Cayenne, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Horseradish, Jambul, Juniper, Licorice, Mugwort, Pennyroyal, Rue, Tormentil, Wild Lettuce, Wormwood
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Colitis

Agrimony, American Cranesbill, Bayberry, Comfrey, Marshmallow, Bistort, Black Catechu, Meadowsweet, Oak, Tormentil

Conjunctivitis

Chamomile, Eyebright, Golden Seal, Marigold, Fennel

Constipation

Balmony, Barberry, Buckthorn, Cascara, Sagrada, Rhubarb Root, Senna, Yellow Dock, Aloe, Black Root, Bogbean, Boldo, Butterbur, Figwort, Flax Seed, Wahoo

Cough

Angelica, Aniseed, Balm of Gilead, Coltsfoot, Comfrey, Cowslip, Elecampane, Garlic, Golden Seal, Grindelia, Ground Ivy, Hyssop, Mouse Ear, Mullein, Pine, Greater Plantain, Pleurisy Root, Senega, Sundew, White Horehound, Balsam of Tolu, Caraway, Carline Thistle, Daisy, Fennel, Fenugreek, Licorice, Mallow, Marjoram, Marshmallow, Myrrh, Red Poppy, Soapwort, Sweet Violet, Thuja, Thyme, Wild Lettuce

Cramp

Black Cohosh, Cramp Bark, Pasque Flower, Skullcap, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Wild Yam, Cayenne, Ginger, Woundwort

Cystitis

Bearberry, Buchu, Couchgrass, Echinacea, Juniper, Yarrow, Angelica, Silver Birch, Boldo, Carline Thistle, Celery Seed, Cleavers, Coltsfoot, Corn Silk, Golden Rod, Gravel Root, Ground Ivy, Horsetail, Hydrangea, Pansy, Pellitory of the Wall, Sea Holly

Debility

Balmony, Blessed Thistle, Cayenne, Damiana, Dandelion, Golden Seal, Kola, Rosemary, Agrimony, Barberry, Betony, Calamus, Ginger, Life Root, Mugwort, Oats, True Unicorn Root, White Poplar, Wormwood

Depression

Damiana, Kola, Oats, Skullcap, Wormwood, Balm, Celery, Chamomile, Mistletoe, Mugwort, Rosemary, Southernwood, Valerian, Vervain

Diarrhea

Agrimony, American Cranesbill, Bayberry, Bistort, Black Catechu, Comfrey, Lady's Mantle, Meadowsweet, Oak, Greater Plantain, Rhatany, Silverweed, Tormentil, Avens, Blessed Thistle, Burr-Marigold, Caraway, Catnip, Cinnamon, Coriander, Daisy, Eyebright, Ground Ivy, Jambul, Kola, Self-Heal

Earache (see also 'Infection')

Pennywort, Pasque Flower, Mullein

Eczema

Blue Flag, Burdock, Chickweed, Cleavers, Figwort, Golden Seal, Nettles, Red Clover, Yellow Dock, Balm of Gilead, Bittersweet, Comfrey, Mountain Grape, Pansy, Sarsaparilla, Sweet Violet

Epilepsy

Hyssop, Skullcap, Passion Flower, Valerian
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

devist8me;525883 wrote: Got one that helps produce more milk (in addition to Fenugreek)?

sorry, I missed that earlier.

Blessed Thistle is supposed to be useful though Fenugreek is considered the best.

Any pregnant or breastfeeding woman should check with their physician before taking anything.

Also be aware that sage is used to reduce breastmilk, usually for the purpose of weening. It is something to be avoided unless reduction is desired.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Fever

Boneset, Catnip, Cayenne, Ginger, Peruvian Bark, Pleurisy Root, Angelica, Black Mustard, Borage, Carline Thistle, Chamomile, Horseradish, Peppermint, Vervain

Fibrositis

Cayenne, Ginger, Pine, Ragwort, Wintergreen, Horseradish, Rosemary, St. John's Wort

Flatulence

Angelica, Calamus, Caraway, Cardamon, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Condurango, Coriander, Fennel, Gentian, Ginger, Allspice, Aniseed, Balm, Blessed Thistle, Calumba, Catnip, Centaury, Chamomile, Cloves, Galangal, Horseradish, Juniper, Marjoram, Mugwort, Parsley, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Southernwood, Thyme, Valerian, Wormwood

Fungus Infection

Marigold, Golden Seal, Greater Celandine, Myrrh

Gall-Bladder Problems

Balmony, Black Root, Dandelion, Fringetree Bark, Milk Thistle, Vervain, Wahoo, Wild Yam, Barberry, Bogbean, Boldo, Golden Seal, Greater Celandine, Marigold

Gastritis

American Cranesbill, Calamus, Comfrey, Golden Seal, Marshmallow, Meadowsweet, Slippery Elm, Chamomile, Iceland Moss, Irish Moss, Licorice, Mallow, Peach Leaves, Quince

Gingivitis

Bistort, Echinacea, Golden Seal, Myrrh, Oak Bark, Poke Root, Rhatany, Wild Indigo, Avens Bayberry, Black Catechu, Garlic, Lady's Mantle, Red Sage, Self-Heal, Silverweed, Tormentil, Vervain

Glands (Swollen)

Cleavers, Echinacea, Poke Root, Marigold, Wild Indigo

Halitosis

Dill, Fennel

Hayfever

Ephedra, Golden Seal, Elder, Eyebright, Garlic, Peppermint

Headache

Betony, Feverfew, Marjoram, Rosemary, Skullcap, Chamomile, Cowslip, Hops, Mistletoe, Peppermint, Rue, St. John's Wort, Valerian

Heartburn

Comfrey, Marshmallow, Meadowsweet, Iceland Moss, Irish Moss, Mallow, Slippery Elm
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

This is about halfway through the index.

I'd like to point out that this is just a list. To properly use herbs you need to look them up individually, find out what they combine well with and what strength will be effective. You'll notice that a few herbs appear on a lot of different entries. You need to think about not just whether an herb is useful for an ailment but what other effects it will have on the rest of your system. These lists give a starting point. It gives the names of herbs to look up. Where you find that information is up to you, at least you'd have some idea what you are looking for.

This list comes from a book that is not trying to sell you a specific herb. When you look up herbs on the internet you need to be aware of why the site might make some claims. They might be exaggerating or even misleading people in order to sell their product. Some herbs become really popular for time periods, like some kind of wonder herb that will fix everything. This is not the case. Using herbs properly take an investment of energy to find out how to use them most effectively.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Indigestion

Balm, Calamus, Cayenne, Centaury, Chamomile, Condurango, Fennel, Ginger, Peppermint, Valerian, Wild Yam, Wormwood, Allspice, Agrimony, Balmony, Blessed Thistle, Boldo, Caraway, Cardamon, Catnip, Cinnamon, Cloves, Dill, Galangal, Gentian, Iceland Moss, Marjoram, Mugwort, Quassia, Red Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, True Unicorn Root, Wild Lettuce

Infection

Cleavers, Echinacea, Garlic, Golden Seal, Myrrh, Wild Indigo, Cayenne, Fenugreek, Ginger, Nasturtium, Thyme, Wormwood

Influenza

Boneset, Cayenne, Echinacea, Garlic, Golden Seal, Pleurisy Root, Angelica, Balm, Black Mustard, Carline Thistle, Elder, Ginger, Horseradish, Line, Marjoram, Myrrh, Nasturtium, Peppermint, White Poplar, Yarrow

Insomnia

California Poppy, Hops, Jamaican Dogwood, Passion Flower, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Chamomile, Cowslip, Lime Blossom, Pasque Flower, Skullcap

Itching

Chickweed, Golden Seal, Marigold, Chamomile, Cleavers, Cucumber, Peppermint, St. John's Wort

Jaundice

Balmony, Barberry, Black Root, Dandelion, Vervain, Wahoo, Yellow Dock, Bittersweet, Centaury, Golden Seal, Mountain Grape, Wild Yam

Kidney Stones

Bearberry, Corn Silk, Couchgrass, Gravel Root, Hydrangea, Pellitory of the Wall, Stone Root, Dandelion, Sea Holly, Wild Carrot, Yarrow

Laryngitis

Balm of Gilead, Blood Root, Echinacea, Golden Seal, Myrrh, Oak, Red Sage, Thyme, Agrimony, Bayberry, Bistort, Black Catechu, Caraway, Cayenne, Chamomile, Fenugreek, Golden Rod, Lady's Mantle, Mallow, Poke Root, Tormentil, Wild Indigo

Leuchorrhea

American Cranesbill, Bayberry, Beth Root, Golden Seal, Lady's Mantle, Life Root, Myrrh, Nasturtium, Wild Indigo, Avens, Bearberry, Bistort, Black Catechu, Ground Ivy, Oak

Liver Tonic

Balmony, Black Root, Blue Flag, Centaury, Dandelion, Wahoo, Yellow Dock, Bogbean, Burdock, Garlic, Golden Seal, Mountain Grape, Wild Yam

Lumbago

Black Mustard, Cayenne, Ragwort, Wintergreen

Menopause

Black Cohosh, Chaste Tree, False Unicorn Root, Golden Seal, St. John's Wort, Beth Root, Life Root

Menstruation (Delayed)

Blue Cohosh, Chaste Tree, False Unicorn Root, Life Root, Parsley, Pennyroyal, Rue, Tansy, Southernwood, Wormwood, Marigold, Motherwort, Mugwort, Thuja, Yarrow

Menstruation (Excessive)

American Cranesbill, Beth Root, Periwinkle, Golden Seal, Lady's Mantle

Menstruation (Painful)

Black Cohosh, Black Haw, Cramp Bark, Jamaican Dogwood, Pasque Flower, St. John's Wort, Skullcap, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Blue Cohosh, Butterbur, Caraway, Chaste Tree, False Unicorn Root, Marigold, Squaw Vine, Wild Yam

Metrorrhagia

American Cranesbill, Beth Root, Golden Seal, Periwinkle, Lady's Mantle

Migraine

Feverfew, Jamaican Dogwood, Kola, Mistletoe, Peppermint, Skullcap, Wormwood
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Milk Stimulation (Breast)

Goat's Rue, Milk Thistle, Borage, Caraway, Dill, Fennel, Fenugreek

Mouth Ulcers

Myrrh, Red Sage, Bistort, Chamomile, Lady's Mantle, Oak

Nausea

Black Horehound, Chamomile, Meadowsweet, Peppermint, Avens, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Cloves, Fennel, Galangal, Marshmallow

Neuralgia

Betony, Black Cohosh, Jamaican Dogwood, Mistletoe, Passion Flower, St. John's Wort, Skullcap, Valerian, Hops, Pasque Flower, Rosemary

Nosebleed

Lady's Mantle, Witch Hazel, Marigold, Tormentil

Ovarian Pain

Jamaican Dogwood, Pasque Flower, Valerian, Passion Flower, St. John's Wort, Skullcap, Wild Yam

Pain

Black Cohosh, Black Willow, Jamaican Dogwood, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Cramp Bark, Guaiacum, Hops, Rosemary, Skullcap

Phlebitis

Hawthorn, Horsechestnut, Lime Blossom, Mistletoe

PMS

Chaste Tree, Skullcap, Valerian, Lime Blossom, Pasque Flower

Prostate

Damiana, Horsetail, Hydrangea, Saw Palmetto, Corn Silk, Couchgrass, Sea Holly

Psoriasis

Blue Flag, Burdock, Cleavers, Figwort, Mountain Grape, Red Clover, Sarsaparilla, Yellow Dock, Balm of Gilead, Chickweed, Flax Seed, Sassafras, Thuja

Rheumatism

Angelica, Black Cohosh, Bogbean, Celery Seed, Guaiacum, Meadowsweet, Prickly Ash, White Poplar, Wild Lettuce, Wild Yam, Wintergreen, Yarrow, Arnica, Bittersweet, Black Mustard, Blue Cohosh, Burdock, Cayenne, Couchgrass, Daisy, Dandelion, Elder, Fennel, Gravel Root, Horseradish, Horsetail, Juniper, Poke Root, Ragwort, St. John's Wort, Sarsaparilla, Sassafras, Scots Pine, Silver Birch, Thuja, Wild Carrot

Sciatica

Black Cohosh, Jamaican Dogwood, St. John's Wort, Yarrow

Shingles

Jamaican Dogwood, Mistletoe, Passion Flower, St. John's Wort, Flax Seed, Hops, Skullcap, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Wild Yam

Sinusitis

Elder, Eyebright, Garlic, Golden Rod, Golden Seal, Poke Root, Scots Pine, Wild Indigo, Chamomile, Myrrh, Peppermint, Thyme, Yarrow

Sore Throat

Balm of Gilead, Echinacea, Garlic, Golden Seal, Oak, Agrimony, Bayberry, Cayenne, Chamomile, Ginger, Golden Rod, Myrrh, Poke Root, Silverweed, Thyme

Stress

Damiana, Lime Blossom, Mistletoe, St. John's Wort, Skullcap, Balm, Betony, Borage, Chamomile, Cowslip, Hops, Oats, Pasque Flower, Passion Flower, Valerian, Wild Lettuce, Wormwood

Sunburn

Aloe, Marigold, Eyebright, St. John's Wort

Tension

Betony, Cowslip, Jamaican Dogwood, Lime Blossom, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Pasque Flower, Passion Flower, St. John's Wort, Skullcap, Valerian, Vervain, Wild Lettuce, Balm, California Poppy, Damiana, Hops, Peppermint

Tinnitus

Black Cohosh, Golden Seal, Golden Rod, Ground Ivy

Tonsillitis

Cleavers, Echinacea, Garlic, Golden Seal, Myrrh, Poke Root, Red Sage, Thyme, Wild Indigo

Toothache

Cloves

Travel Sickness

Black Horehound, Galangal, Peppermint

Ulcers (Peptic)

American Cranesbill, Comfrey, Marshmallow, Meadowsweet, Slippery Elm, Calamus, Golden Seal, Irish Moss, Licorice, Mallow

Ulcers (Skin)

Chickweed, Comfrey, Golden Seal, Marigold, Echinacea, Marshmallow

Varicose Veins

Horsechestnut, Hawthorn, Lime Blossom, St. John's Wort, Witch Hazel

Vomiting

Black Horehound, Meadowsweet, Cinnamon, Cloves, Comfrey, False Unicorn Root, Iceland Moss, Peppermint, Rosemary

Water Retention

Bearberry, Broom, Buchu, Dandelion, Gravel Root, Juniper Berries, Pellitory of the Wall, Wild Carrot, Burr-Marigold, Carline Thistle, Celery Seed, Corn Silk, Horsetail, Parsley, Sea Holly, Silver Birch, Stone Root, Yarrow

Whooping Cough

Coltsfoot, Grindelia, Lobelia, Mouse Ear, Black Cohosh, Ephedra, Garlic, Mullein, Pansy, Red Clover, Sundew, Wild Cherry

Wounds

Chickweed, Comfrey, Elder, Golden Seal, Marigold, Greater Plantain, St. John's Wort, Self-Heal, Woundwort, Carline Thistle, Chamomile, Fenugreek, Garlic, Horsetail, Lady's Mantle, Marshmallow, Mouse Ear, Red Sage, Tormentil
alobar51

Herbology 101

Post by alobar51 »

koan;525761 wrote: From The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal David Hoffmann, ISBN 1-85230-758-7

Having been asked in another thread about herbs I used for a particular ailment, I thought it would be far more useful to list what I feel is a more complete description of how herbs work and herbs that are specific to certain types of ailments. I highly recommend the book I'm listing the information from, it is the best overall quick reference guide that I've ever found. I've taken a course on herbology but this book is sufficient to allow people to use herbs in an effective and informed way.

Posts to follow will include:

The actions of herbs from pages 36-39

Therapeutic index from pages 46-47

I will finish the posts with the specifics for "Wounds". Until then I respectfully ask that no one else post here until I have completed the entries. Anyone with further information or links to further information is gratefully welcome to post after I have concluded.

http://www.herbalgram.org

This link is to Herbalgram, the peer reviewed American journal for herbal medicine. It's editor, Marc Blumenthal, is highly regarded in the West. Its editorial board are all heavyweights in my world, from Dennis McKenna to James Duke, to Larry Dossey, et. al.

http://www.sfbmc.org

This is the San Francisco Botanical Medicine clinic's website. It's director is Josh Muscat, who is a highly competent western herbalist. I know Josh casually from the Philzone, and have found him to be measured and well versed in western herbs.

http://www.plant-talk.org/stories/4duke.html

This is a link to Dr. James Duke, a Harvard trained ethnobotanist and student of the late Dr. Richard Schultes, who was, argueably, the father of herbal medicine in the US. and founder of the ethnobotany dept. at Harvard.

These links can help move you in a positive direction if you seek good information on herbal medicine.

On a cautionary note, these are not benign compounds. They are not without side effects, and should not be experimented with on your own. You should seek the advice of a practitioner with experience. Their actions are not that of drugs. Allopathic drugs tend to be what I refer to as disablers, in that their action tends to block, usually an enzyme that is creating a symptom. Herbs tend to be enablers, in that their action is to help the body correct an imbalance.

They do not work in a vacuum, however, but bind to other substances, and can behave differently in different situations.
koan

Herbology 101

Post by koan »

Good links, alobar.

"On a cautionary note, these are not benign compounds. They are not without side effects, and should not be experimented with on your own. You should seek the advice of a practitioner with experience."

That is an important point to make.

Some people think that because herbs are used in food preparation and teas are sold in grocery stores that they either help or do nothing... no harm done. When used therapeutically herbs can have powerful effects are not something to be experimented with and self diagnosis has its risks.
devist8me

Herbology 101

Post by devist8me »

koan;527017 wrote: sorry, I missed that earlier.

Blessed Thistle is supposed to be useful though Fenugreek is considered the best.

Any pregnant or breastfeeding woman should check with their physician before taking anything.

Also be aware that sage is used to reduce breastmilk, usually for the purpose of weening. It is something to be avoided unless reduction is desired.

Good to know. Think I'm about done!
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”