'Cuz I can....

Rain

'Cuz I can....

Post by Rain »

Living in Utah for 10 years, we hunted. We all had guns. Some had an arsenal even. My best friend's husband had So many guns you could hardly move around their room. When I hunted I used my .243. LOVED that gun!

I've never had a hand gun, but if I lived in a big area, I might get one. I was mugged in a transit station once and I couldn't get to my knife. So, I figured if I can't get to my weapon for protection, it ain't worth it, so I stopped carrying it.

Was listening to Larry the Cable Guy lastnight and he said... "Gun's don't kill anyone, husbands that come home early do". Hardee har... but then he said... "if we blame it on the gun, it's like blaming my pencil for mis-spelled words". Guns don't kill ppl, People killl people.

I admit that some of America's laws are not good anymore. The founding father didn't have a clue things would end up like this. But... it is our right to have them. That doesn't mean you Should, just that you can if you want. If you are against it, then don't get one!

I just wish more ppl were responsible gun owners. The ones who keep them within reach of children should be kicked! The gang bangers... that's a whole other story. These are just punks who are out of contrl and don't have a sense of what life means. I'd like to round up all the gang bangers and send them in to other parts of the world... but that's another thread topic ;)
koan

'Cuz I can....

Post by koan »

Nomad;524500 wrote: Oh my God !

Secret powder...hellooooooo:rolleyes:

only if it's been blessed by a cleric. Do you know a good one?
Nomad

'Cuz I can....

Post by Nomad »

koan;524553 wrote: only if it's been blessed by a cleric. Do you know a good one?

*pft* you have to ask ? :rolleyes:
I AM AWESOME MAN
valerie

'Cuz I can....

Post by valerie »

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Several years back, there was a killing at a restaurant in Killeen, Texas.

I have an article here from a survivor. I have heard her say (Can't find it,

if I do, I'll post that, too) that she was sure if she had her weapon with

her, she would have been able to stop at least some of the killing, and

probably still have both of her parents.

Hope this is of some interest:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_12634747
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Novelty;524433 wrote: Killer machines, poor human logic, ignorant, paranoid and insecure, irresponsible humans who cant control their emotions feel safe behind a killing machine.

this argument is useless because you are already dead.
A "killing machine"?? Sorry, bub, the only killing machines out here are PEOPLE.

All the blanket stereotypes you use here....not a one fits me even slightly.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Lulu2

'Cuz I can....

Post by Lulu2 »

"Stereotype" is right, BR!

And these words apply to many situations....for example: "poor human logic, ignorant, paranoid and insecure, irresponsible humans who cant control their emotions feel safe behind a"... message board, where they can post anonymously and send nasty private messages.

Some people shouldn't have guns. Many more want them, use them responsibly and have the legal right to do so here.

Same thing's true of cars, motorcycles, bows and arrows....etc.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
koan

'Cuz I can....

Post by koan »

BabyRider;525071 wrote: A "killing machine"?? Sorry, bub, the only killing machines out here are PEOPLE.

All the blanket stereotypes you use here....not a one fits me even slightly.

:confused:

BabyRider wrote: ...That gun ain't for show, and neither are the 9 I have at my disposal....
If you don't like stereotypes don't feed them.
BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

koan;525084 wrote: :confused:

If you don't like stereotypes don't feed them.
LMFAO!!!!!

Still beatin' that dead horse, are ya? You did your "tattling", now go away.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

koan

'Cuz I can....

Post by koan »

BabyRider;525085 wrote: LMFAO!!!!!

Still beatin' that dead horse, are ya? You did your "tattling", now go away.

It would be a dead horse if it hadn't become relevant to your protests about being stereotyped.

You just turned it into the energizer bunny.
Insomniac

'Cuz I can....

Post by Insomniac »

Let me clarify regarding my fear issue:

First and foremost it's worry about my grandkids, so therefore the gun would always be locked up and up high and out of reach etc. when they come to visit.

Secondly, I know I would use it to protect myself, my family. I had the opportunity years ago - threatened with rape. I reached for a gun that was in my room because my roommates had gotten it for protection against robbery but I'd gone away for the weekend and they moved it out of my room, so when I reached for it it wasn't there. I know I would have used it, no hesitation.

Now that I survived that incident and didn't have to kill anyone, I'm glad that it wasn't there, but I'm saying this just to say that I reached for it with no hesitation that I'd use it to shoot the sick MF. (A couple of years later I was told that they found the guy and arrested him.)

Still, because I have some hesitation, that's a clear indication to me that now is not the time.
You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
Accountable

'Cuz I can....

Post by Accountable »

Novelty;525350 wrote: Is it not designed to kill? and does it not have a selection of components to make it work for a purpose?

my statements are correct, anyone who collects guns then say they're for protection proves this.
A collector proves that guns are designed to kill? A hunter, sure, but a collector??
rkdian

'Cuz I can....

Post by rkdian »

A true gun "collector" is making an investment. He may or may not fire the guns that he owns. There are several gun in our home, but we are not collectors. We live in a rather remote area. My husband is gone VERY frequenently. I use guns on a regular basis to eliminate vermin. If you ever find yourself with a raccoon or oppossum in your home or garage, you will understand the need. Venison is a large part of our diet as is with most people in this area. Even those who do not eat venison, hunt deer. The number of them in this area is so out of control that they actually cause considerable damage to crops, and even vegetation in your lawn. For the sport of shooting, we bought a clay pigeon launcher and have neighborhood parties where we may have 8 people lined up waiting "their turn" to shoot. One "rule" that is strictly enforced is that NO ONE who hasn't had a gun safety course doesn't even touch any of the firearms. Because I am the "man of the house", (yes, even with boobs!) it gives me a sense of security that I have an equalizer in the house should I ever need it. We also began to teach our children about the dangers as well as the benefits of guns about the time that we started potty training. ALL of our guns are in a locked cabinet, AND have either a trigger lock or a chamber lock. This is to protect the children who haven't been taught or are still too young to understand fully.
BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Novelty;525350 wrote: Is it not designed to kill? and does it not have a selection of components to make it work for a purpose?

my statements are correct, anyone who collects guns then say they're for protection proves this.
Proves....proves. Good God, why don't you pay some attention here?

I have owned innumerable guns in my life. Some I never even fired a round from. And I never fired a round at a person.

It's comments like that "designed to kill" garbage that create the fear, the misunderstanding, the BAD PRESS that the media loves to toss around at their whim, the hatred for people who own guns regardless of what they own them for. People like YOU make it all worse.

I don't even know why I'm trying to explain this to you. A) you'll never learn and B) I should be well and truly used to uneducated people fearing what they don't know. Guns aside, I live with people who fear me and my friends just because we're Bikers. The ignorance of that exhausts me, just like your ignorance of this topic.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Novelty;525996 wrote: I'll stay ignorant..
Yes, you will. Ignorance is terminal.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Magenta flame;526013 wrote: Okay I want an M16! why? Because I have a right to do what I want, and have what I want! I have a right to defend myself. I have a right to defend my family..........oohhhhh hang on ....scrub that first comment ......I want an Atom bomb....China, Iran, Pakistan, korea, and America have them why can't I? I have a right to defend myself and my family! Gimmme Gimmme Gimmmeeeeee!

Babyrider just out of interest......If a referendom was held and people voted to get rid of all the guns in America...except for the military and farmers...May I ask what you'd do?
Hey, one of our weapons is an AK-47 assault rifle. Now THAT one is fun to fire! And an atom bomb would be too unstable to own. Stick to dynamite or something. :yh_bigsmi

I'd move out of the country. Very VERY little would make me leave the USA, but that's one of the things. They crap on the Constitution daily, our "lawmakers" and if they pushed it that far, I'm no longer a citizen.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Wolverine

'Cuz I can....

Post by Wolverine »

i have no problem with people owning firearms. i own 4 myself.

what i do not understand is why some gun owners feel it necessary to own military grade assault weapons. i have read some of the blurbs from the NRA and several members say they need those types of weapons to go hunting.

Huh? They need to use an AK-47 to go deer hunting?

why? what possible use could they have for 600 rounds a minute rate of fire when taking on a deer?

They want to own "hunting" rifles, shotguns, and hand guns, no problem. but i personally don't see a reason for a private citizen to own military grade weapons.

But if they put up a fight to own those types of firearms; then we, the people need to make those types of weapons available to everyone.

Like I said, people can own guns. I don't have a problem with it.

what i don't understand is the "laws" or lack there-of, regarding guns shows.

I don't know what it is like where you are at BR, but here in Iowa, people can go to a 3 day gun show and buy anything they want right there on the spot; including handguns. No 7 day waiting period.

all they need is a picture ID. the dealers don't even have to do a background check, the just make a copy of the ID and take the cash.

How is that possible?

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Wolvie, the reason for ME owning an assault rifle is simple. Because I can. When the ban on private owners having them came into effect I thought my collection wouldn't be complete without one. Would I use it to hunt? Never. Would I use it for defense? Never. It remains unloaded and in several peices in my safe. But it sure is a blast to fire!!

As for the gun shows, I have been to many and I can't even imagine what makes it so easy to get guns. Like I've said, too many people in all walks of life shouldn't own guns, for many reasons.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Novelty;526062 wrote: Do you feel powerful shooting your guns?
Listen, I have told you more than once that I'm done trying to make you understand anything, since you are incapable of learning, and that you can't learn a thing about me reading here. What I feel when I shoot my weapons is irrelavent and a stupid question. You just go and maintain your "blessed ignorance."
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Novelty;526068 wrote: I'll rephrase then, what gets you excited about shooting guns
Leraning something, unlike some people. Becoming good at something. Teaching my kids something.

You asked I answered....here's one for you: WHY?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Novelty;526073 wrote: Just my own personal amusment, thats all.
Go learn something, you might have a less boring existence.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Thank you for your interest. And repeatedly bumping my thread.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Nomad

'Cuz I can....

Post by Nomad »

Lulu2;525083 wrote: "Stereotype" is right, BR!

And these words apply to many situations....for example: "poor human logic, ignorant, paranoid and insecure, irresponsible humans who cant control their emotions feel safe behind a"... message board, where they can post anonymously and send nasty private messages.

Some people shouldn't have guns. Many more want them, use them responsibly and have the legal right to do so here.

:wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Wolverine

'Cuz I can....

Post by Wolverine »

Novelty;526054 wrote: Why do you have 4 guns?

the .45cal relvover and the Springfield M-1 were my grandfather's, i inherited them when he passed.

the Shotgun is for pheasant hunting, and the 30/30 is for target shooting.

Wolverine

'Cuz I can....

Post by Wolverine »

BabyRider;526058 wrote: Wolvie, the reason for ME owning an assault rifle is simple. Because I can. When the ban on private owners having them came into effect I thought my collection wouldn't be complete without one. Would I use it to hunt? Never. Would I use it for defense? Never. It remains unloaded and in several peices in my safe. But it sure is a blast to fire!!

As for the gun shows, I have been to many and I can't even imagine what makes it so easy to get guns. Like I've said, too many people in all walks of life shouldn't own guns, for many reasons.

yeah, i have fired one before. Holy Cow!! that sucker belched fire probably 3 feet out. :D

i'll never own one tho. absolutely no need. i haven't bought a new gun since high school.

Wolverine

'Cuz I can....

Post by Wolverine »

lulu2 wrote: Some people shouldn't have guns. Many more want them, use them responsibly and have the legal right to do so here.

and kids...:wah:

Lulu2

'Cuz I can....

Post by Lulu2 »

"belched fire...." Wolverine, that happened to me the first time I fired a gun! It was a 45 automatic (much too big for me...but there you are!) The thing made this HORRENDOUS noise & a casing shot past me & I SCREAMED, people all over the range dropped & took cover...well, let's say I never fired it again! :D
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Lulu2;526217 wrote: "belched fire...." Wolverine, that happened to me the first time I fired a gun! It was a 45 automatic (much too big for me...but there you are!) The thing made this HORRENDOUS noise & a casing shot past me & I SCREAMED, people all over the range dropped & took cover...well, let's say I never fired it again! :D
Oh damn, Lu! If you're not prepared, the thing will sure catch you by surprise, won't it?

Reminds me of a day at the range with Bullet. He was next to me shooting the 9mm and I was shooting a different 9mm. One of his casings ejected and flew over the wall....and right down my bra. I jumped about 2 feet and yelped. That damn thing is HOT!!! Luckily we were at an indoor range and nobody heard me cussing like a sailor.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Lulu2

'Cuz I can....

Post by Lulu2 »

YES! I was dating an Army officer at the time and he wanted to teach me to shoot! We went to the firing range at Ft. McArthur--full of "seasoned" shooters. You should've seen their faces when I hollered! DAMN, that was funny! :D
BabyRider

'Cuz I can....

Post by BabyRider »

Lulu2;526229 wrote: YES! I was dating an Army officer at the time and he wanted to teach me to shoot! We went to the firing range at Ft. McArthur--full of "seasoned" shooters. You should've seen their faces when I hollered! DAMN, that was funny! :D
Wait a minute, wait.....you were dating an Army officer and the first thing he hands you to shoot is a .45 auto?? Gotta add that guy to the list of people who don't belong handing firearms, Lu.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Lulu2

'Cuz I can....

Post by Lulu2 »

Well, he had the gun and we were just going to see how I felt about firing it. It's not as if he GAVE it to me! It was ok....really.
Accountable

'Cuz I can....

Post by Accountable »

Novelty;526601 wrote: It seems i'm still ignorant, for what reason do you have guns? is it:

A) Self-defense

B) Hunting

C) Recreation

Do you have a mental examination to gain a gun licence?
Your passive-aggressive stance is a tad annoying. As Arnold used to say before he abandoned FG, it's a different culture. You don't have to understand, and you certainly don't have to accept.

Everyone should have the right to own firearms, though no one really does. That is my opinion. It is an opinion completely independent of yours - even independent of your opinion of it. Would you like to understand it?
rkdian

'Cuz I can....

Post by rkdian »

Novelty;526601 wrote: It seems i'm still ignorant, for what reason do you have guns? is it:

A) Self-defense

B) Hunting

C) Recreation

Do you have a mental examination to gain a gun licence?

It is for all 3 reasons, Novelty.
Accountable

'Cuz I can....

Post by Accountable »

Disconnect the electricity! It might start a fire in the house. A child might stick its finger in the socket & electrocute itself. Pornography might come throught the internet!

It's just not worth the risk. :rolleyes:
rkdian

'Cuz I can....

Post by rkdian »

Novelty;526645 wrote: So do you belive you are above the law on the first point?

Do you kill for sport, or to feed your family?

A stray bullet could richochet and hit someone, a poorly-maintained weapon could explode in the owner's hands. A child could accidently swallow a shotgun shell. Are these risks you are willing to take in the naive pursuit of "fun?"

House rule is: If you won't eat it, don't kill it.

A responsible gun owner is like a responsible parent. You must always know your target AND what lies beyond. Our guns are cleaned after every use. A child could also stab themselves with a steak knife! For an explanation of the way that we avoid child/gun accidents, see my previous post.

Don't misunderstand me. I feel that the black market on guns is a definite problem. And I also feel that those who own guns are responsible for making their firearms as safe and secure as possible. I would never own an assault rifle, but for those who do, they need to take the responsibility that comes with that. Much like I would never own a Rott, but wouldn't expect the breed to be eradicated.

Return to “Gun Control”