Gun Control On FG

Galbally

Gun Control On FG

Post by Galbally »

koan;523513 wrote: I feel the same way.

A note to all those that might join us:

I've stated my intentions.

I will not respond further to them as I wish to focus on the actual thread.

Galbally,

thank you.

Can you add more detail?

Try to capture the moment. Not just because it brings out how serious an act it is but also because, as a writer, I'm curious.

Also, anyone else who can share what it feels like to have a gun pointed at them, please share.

eta: and how it felt later when the shock wore off.

Not really, I don't want to get into it. But afterwards, do you feel scared, angry, and upset? Yes you do, its a very unpleasant feeling. But one that people who work in law enforcement, or have military experience obviously have to learn to deal with.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
BabyRider

Gun Control On FG

Post by BabyRider »

I will not justify or explain my reasons for saying anything I say to anyone, here or in the real world. If there is a "warning" to be handed out it can come from the owner of this site and if it does, it needs to extend to way more people than me, in many other threads.

You guys use FG the way you will and I will use it the way I will.

The ONLY hesitation I experienced while skimming this thread was a hesitation to further bump drivel like what began this thread.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Pardon me....back to your sanctimonious indignation.......
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Rain

Gun Control On FG

Post by Rain »

RhondaLu;523542 wrote: It sounded 'drippy to me' IMHO.:sneaky:

:confused:
Rain

Gun Control On FG

Post by Rain »

koan;522828 wrote: I realize that there are some folks that are very proud gun owners but, last I heard, threatening to shoot people on FG was against the rules. A little more restraint, people. Please.

:mad:

Your actual thread.

With the subject line of, Gun Control on FG.

Pretty straight foward if you ask me. Just an observation. Done. :)
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

BabyRider;523631 wrote: Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Well, said.

Then we agree.

Glad you dropped in, BR.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

I'm not afraid to talk about big issues that are controversial. What is more important than life itself, and how quickly it can be taken away? It's something worthy of discussion and debate, even if it means temperatures rise.
Bez

Gun Control On FG

Post by Bez »

I have never seen a gun in 'real life' apart from guards rifles at royal palaces....the thought of being confronted by a person with a gun, unless it was the armed forces or police , terrifies me. I used to have a recurring dream where someone I knew shot me to disable me....I never went back to sleep after I had these dreams.

With regards to things said on FG....well it's all been said before folks .

Sorry ...not much help here Koan....I'm on a see-saw with this one....alternating between agreeing and dis-agreeing with what's been posted. I am appreciating the measured responses by people discussing the debate of 'Gun Control' though.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

From A Channel 4 youth program description:

Guns Are Cool explores the issue that guns are seen as cool, fashionable and desirable by many young people today and until we change that perception, we're not going to solve the problem of rising gun crime.

link

One of the early episodes of Torchwood involves Gwen learning how to shoot a gun. She had been a beat cop so she had never fired a gun before. Jack teaches her how to fire about 20 different kinds of guns. The way they shot was almost a sex scene. I was astounded. Guns are not sexy.
BabyRider

Gun Control On FG

Post by BabyRider »

Bez;523698 wrote: the thought of being confronted by a person with a gun, unless it was the armed forces or police , terrifies me.

It's not fun. It happened to me a few years back and the SOB pulled the trigger with the barrel 3 inches from my head. The gun misfired. Thankfully, the person with said weapon didn't know how to properly care for his things. But that instance, along with other things, is one reason I can joke about guns. I can also joke about being 1/2 blind, I can joke about the scars on me, I can joke about my limp....

If it offends, me joking abut any of it, well....it offends. Not much for me to do about that. If I worried or even gave thought to what might offend, I'd never visit a forum, or even speak.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

Gun Control On FG

Post by BabyRider »

Now THERE'S some sexxxy guns!!!!!!

Attached files
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

guppy

Gun Control On FG

Post by guppy »

i had someone knocking at my door at two in the morning years back..it was a disgruntled employee that my ex had pissed off...i opened the door to a very drunk, pissed man with a shot gun aim right in my face....it was night the highlight of my night...:thinking:
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

guppy;523711 wrote: i had someone knocking at my door at two in the morning years back..it was a disgruntled employee that my ex had pissed off...i opened the door to a very drunk, pissed man with a shot gun aim right in my face....it was night the highlight of my night...:thinking:

I bet that was a very unsexy gun in your face, guppy.

sorry to hear that happened to you. :(
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

A very un-sex-y result for these men finding out what their wives thought about guns.

Wives tell gangsters to lay down arms or go without sex

Sibylla Brodzinsky in Bogotá

Wednesday September 13, 2006

The Guardian

Gang members in one of Colombia's most violent cities face an ultimatum: give up guns or give up sex. In what is being called a "strike of crossed legs", supported by the Pereira mayor's office, the wives and girlfriends of gang members have said they will not have sex with their partners until they vow to give up violence.

"We want them to know that violence is not sexy," said Jennifer Bayer, 18, the girlfriend of a gang member. She and at least two dozen other women have said the sex strike will continue until their men hand over their weapons to authorities and sign up for vocational training offered by the mayor's office.

link
BabyRider

Gun Control On FG

Post by BabyRider »

flopstock;523247 wrote:

And you've apparently missed the part where koan said BR doesn't accept PMs.

I missed this till just now.

Yet another thing I have no intention of explaining to anyone.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

RhondaLu

Gun Control On FG

Post by RhondaLu »

Kathy Ellen;523653 wrote: Way to go BR. You're right. Hope you're feeling a little better. You're in my thoughts.

Kathy Ellen:guitarist

So does everyone else Kathy Ellen.:-6
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

This had a very unsexy ending:

McCandless girl, 17, wounded by boyfriend

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A 17-year-old McCandless girl was accidentally shot by her boyfriend Sunday while the two were engaged in "bedroom activities," police said.

Timothy Madden, 23, of Ross, was charged with aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and corruption of a minor.

The incident occurred just before 1 p.m. at Madden's residence in the Chateau Perry Apartments at 951 Perry Highway, said Ross senior detective and public information officer William Barrett.

"They were engaged in some bizarre activities in his bedroom," Barrett said. "The gun, we believe, accidentally discharged."

The girl, who, as a juvenile, was not identified by police, was wounded in the groin with a .45-caliber handgun and was taken to an undisclosed hospital.

link
RhondaLu

Gun Control On FG

Post by RhondaLu »

flopstock;523247 wrote: Yes, I agree. That is why we are here.

That is why I am speaking my mind.

I think this thread is a load of crap. It's original intent was NOT to discuss our views on guns and gun control, but rather to take folks to task for the expressions that they use.

That being the case.. here's my take on it..

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me..

And you've apparently missed the part where koan said BR doesn't accept PMs. That tells me that it WAS personal to koan... at least until she couldn't get her 'shot' in that way.:thinking:

How is your journal coming along? What happened to the guy in it?:o
Galbally

Gun Control On FG

Post by Galbally »

I am glad BR came back into this thread, I just want to make it clear again that I think being flippant about guns, or overt threats made to people regarding guns is intemperate and wrong, but I don't wanna be associated at all with "picking" at people from different societies because of their own views on emotive subjects like this, (if there was a subtext going on here), and I want to make that perfectly clear. I don't think that either BR or Patsy would think I would do that anyway, but I want to be straight on it because this is how a lot of that meaner sort of fighting starts.

As for that gun-sex story about that girl, well what can you say, very foolish indeed.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

koan;523493 wrote: I've never had a gun pointed at me.

Can someone tell me what it feels like?

You freeze. You think I might die this moment. You try to grasp the situation but its difficult. You are like a deer caught in headlights. You realize what vulnerability really means. You hope.
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Gun Control On FG

Post by BabyRider »

The feeling of having a gun pointed at you cannot be described. It is different for everyone and attempting to explain it would be like trying to explain to a person who has been blind since birth what the color red looks like.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

CARLA

Gun Control On FG

Post by CARLA »

How did I feel when I had a shot gun pointed and me then fired.

I felt nothing I heard the bullet go by me and lodge in a mirrow. I was deaf from the sound and numb and unable to move. That lastest for what seemed hours. Then I remember seeing myself running with my daughter in my arms to my car outside myself in slow motion. Somehow I had managed to get my purse and keys, I got in the car and on auto pilot drove to my parents house.

Then called the Police. I wasn't afraid I felt nothing but sick for months, as it played over and over in my head 24 hours a day. Yes I sought professional for myself and my daughter who was 2 at the time.

It is something I hope none of you ever have to go through ever.. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Nomad;523903 wrote: You freeze. You think I might die this moment. You try to grasp the situation but its difficult. You are like a deer caught in headlights. You realize what vulnerability really means. You hope.

That was a good description. Thank you.
RhondaLu

Gun Control On FG

Post by RhondaLu »

CARLA;523906 wrote: How did I feel when I had a shot gun pointed and me then fired.

I felt nothing I heard the bullet go by me and lodge in a mirrow. I was deaf from the sound and numb and unable to move. That lastest for what seemed hours. Then I remember seeing myself running with my daughter in my arms to my car outside myself in slow motion. Somehow I had managed to get my purse and keys, I got in the car and on auto pilot drove to my parents house.

Then called the Police. I wasn't afraid I felt nothing but sick for months, as it played over and over in my head 24 hours a day. Yes I sought professional for myself and my daughter who was 2 at the time.

So Carla, What is your feeling's on Gun control? Do you feel the laws are to stringent?
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;523906 wrote: How did I feel when I had a shot gun pointed and me then fired.

Jesus muka.
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Pinky;523899 wrote: If I had a gun right now, I probably wouldn'yt be where I am. Saying that. I might well be in prison instead.
That's what might have happened to me when I was 18.

thank you, Carla.

I imagined there would be a slo mo effect. I'd hate to have that memory.
CARLA

Gun Control On FG

Post by CARLA »

My thoughts exactly Nomad... It is something I never talk about, this is the first time in probably 10 years I have said anything about this.

[QUOTE]Jesus muka.

RhondaLu, the laws will never be stringent enough for me. If I had it my way no one but law enforcement and military would be allowed to carry weapons period. But my reason are personal as you just read.

In reality I wish the laws we have were a bit tougher so it wasn't so easy for every Tom, Dick and Harry to get a gun. I don't care how careful your are with your gun unless they are locked up in a vault, more than not someone will get hurt with one, or killed.

I know how to handle a gun and clean one and shoot one. I took classes as part of my therapy to overcome my fear. I still won't own one.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

RhondaLu

Gun Control On FG

Post by RhondaLu »

CARLA;523922 wrote: My thoughts exactly Nomad... It is something I never talk about, this is the first time in probably 10 years I have said anything about this.

RhondaLu, the laws will never be stringent enough for me. If I had it my way no one but law enforcement and military would be allowed to carry weapons period. But my reason are personal as you just read.

In reality I wish the laws we have were a bit tougher so it wasn't so easy for every Tom, Dick and Harry to get a gun. I don't care how careful your are with your gun unless they are locked up in a vault, more than not someone will get hurt with one, or killed.

I know how to handle a gun and clean one and shoot one. I took classes as part of my therapy to overcome my fear. I still won't own one.

I hear what your saying Carla, Thank you for sharing.:)
CARLA

Gun Control On FG

Post by CARLA »

That is how it should be in my opinion. Kids find guns fascinating they did a spot on 20/20 several years back proving this very point. They had a unloaded gun in a room with kids ranging from 4 to 10 I think. Each and everyone of them went to the gun and pointed it someone and pulled the triger. The parents were behind glass so the kids didn't see them. The parent were in shock to see their child do this. I remember one kid say as he pointed the gun "my mother told me never to point a gun at anyone.".

Please if you have a gun in the house with children lock them up some place where the kids can't see them or get to them.

[QUOTE]in the states, people who have licenses to carry concealed are assumed to be responsible citizens who have undergone background checks. what has concerned me the past several years is that some parents are irresponsible, we have had story after story about kids who find their parents' loaded guns and kill themselves or other children while playing with them. we now have a law in florida that makes those parents criminally liable. [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

I found out one day that my daughter had seen a gun at her friends house. They were completely fascinated. Her friend had told her that they had one in the closet and got it out to show her.

I had to ask the father about it that day at school and he insisted that all his guns were locked up in a cabinet. He was a collector. I didn't know how to tell my daughter that I didn't want her to visit her friend's house anymore. We tried to maneuver it so that she always came to our place but eventually the friendship fell apart.

Better that then the kids got back into the box and one of them got shot.

I had the big talk with her about guns but I don't trust that she would have stayed away.
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

There was an interesting film, a short I think some time ago about a handgun that was passed from here to there for one reason or another. The film followed the path of the gun and how it adversely affected each owner for the time they had it in their possesion. In the end a child was killed by a friend after finding it in the closet. Ill try to find out what that was.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Gun Control On FG

Post by RedGlitter »

Peg;523029 wrote: This is what pisses me off about this place. If someone else had started this thread, most responses would be #1. This should have been done in PM and #2 Was this started just to stir?

Me too. Always the thought police around here. Thats' why it's so stale. Other forums I frequent are more interested in all aspects of discussion, not in censoring people's comemnts because they are uncomfortable. I don't care what BR said, I'm smart enough to know how to take it and I would expect other adults to be. Apparently not. There's only one appropriate side to everything around here.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

there is no thought police action here.

there is thought release. It's a thread to share stories about how you feel when you think of guns and why. everyone is welcome to join in.
Patsy Warnick

Gun Control On FG

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Nomad

You forgot the part where you pee your pants. Although I didn't when a gun was put to the back of my head - I was just scooping my 4 month old nephew up off the bed when smack - the pressure - I listen to the gun click click click. I had to calmly talk and exit the room.

KOAN

Evidently there was this guy - who posted several threads to disrupt FG last night.

I know how BR feels regarding firearms & I requested BR as back up.

I am in no way making light of firearms/ seriousness

Do I own a gun NO

And thats a individual choice.

Patsy
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

There was no time for peeing Patsy but my knees wobbled afterwards.
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Thanks for your input Patsy, glad you made it here.

In between the accusations and the spitting there have been some really great moments resulting from this thread. I've not commented on the intentions of anyone else. I'm just glad we've got this thread to talk about something that interests me.
K.Snyder

Gun Control On FG

Post by K.Snyder »

Magenta flame;524036 wrote:

Should someone brag about owning a weapon? Absolutely not. (It's kinda like someone bragging about knowing a martial art.) bit sad really, and shows immaturity.

I have to disagree with that...

If I owned an M-16 or an M-4 I would be bragging about it...Mainly as I was blowing s*** away.

Some people enjoy shooting...it's fun to them...I like it too...
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

That was a great post, Magenta.

Snyder. Can we assume that the s*** being blown away is not a human being? I'd still not brag. Even if it was a milk jug I blasted.
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

just just see it as something you should be careful about, letting on etc, about that kind of info.

Right. Gun ownership is a unique responsibility. Theres no room for ego.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Gun Control”