Gun Control On FG

koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

I realize that there are some folks that are very proud gun owners but, last I heard, threatening to shoot people on FG was against the rules. A little more restraint, people. Please.

:mad:
Bill Sikes

Gun Control On FG

Post by Bill Sikes »

koan;522828 wrote: I realize that there are some folks that are very proud gun owners but, last I heard, threatening to shoot people on FG was against the rules. A little more restraint, people. Please.

mad:

Gosh, how exciting!! A FG shoot-out! Reference?
Bill Sikes

Gun Control On FG

Post by Bill Sikes »

koan;522835 wrote:

Ah. "Wrong time of the month"? Yet another storm in a teacup, with added

inability to read plus normal FG insults stirred in, and some hyper-sensitivity

floated on over the back of a spoon.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

I have a huge problem with people implying that they would readily point a gun at another person. It causes me grief.

When I was 18 I left an abusive man. I was in a rather devastated state. He'd taken more from me than a few years of my life and I'd willingly left behind everything but the clothes I could fit in suitcase. What he took from me was my dignity, my self respect and my enjoyment of life. I wanted to buy a gun.

I thought it out. I would buy a gun. I would register with a gun club. I would learn how to shoot it. If the bloke ever showed up at my door I would shoot first and ask questions later. I was considering murder. I didn't buy the gun.

If I had, I believe that instead of letting go of my anger and healing I would have put all my anger into the gun and stored it there for later use. It is the only time I've ever thought myself capable of pointing a gun at another human being and I thank God I didn't buy one.

I've been set against guns ever since.

If people want to brag about owning guns and like to hunt that is their business. If people like to brag about being capable of taking another human life, that is everyone's business.

This is the first time I've ever told anyone this story.

It terrifies me.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Hamster;522876 wrote: Thank you for sharing that Koan...It took guts to admit that.

it felt good to get it out.

I hope this can turn into a healthy discussion.
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

The comments were more than inappropriate, they were forked up. Gun owners should be extremely responsible not only with their guns but with their attitudes towards them.

Its not a joke and if you werent joking br your right to bear arms should be rescinded.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Galbally

Gun Control On FG

Post by Galbally »

As someone who has had a gun pointed at them, and had a relative who was shot dead, its not something to be joked about our used as an angry response to an online argument, ever. Thats all I have to say on the matter, full stop.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
weeder

Gun Control On FG

Post by weeder »

Grossly unacceptable, and beyond comprehension for any soul opposed to intimidation tactics as a means of communication.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Just to clarify.

This thread is not meant to attack any individual posters though I am keenly interested in hearing a response from the people who made the linked comments. The point is that I hope I never see it again. It really disturbs me.

And I'd like to hear from people who have considered whether or not they could point a gun at another person. It was a learning experience for me, finding out that I would have.
Galbally

Gun Control On FG

Post by Galbally »

koan;522988 wrote: Just to clarify.

This thread is not meant to attack any individual posters though I am keenly interested in hearing a response from the people who made the linked comments. The point is that I hope I never see it again. It really disturbs me.

And I'd like to hear from people who have considered whether or not they could point a gun at another person. It was a learning experience for me, finding out that I would have.

I don't know who this refers to either so I was just making a general point, not attacking anyone either, just to clarify that.

Would I point a gun at another person, yes I would if the circumstances called for it, absolutely, I am no pacifist, but they would have to be extreme circumstances indeed, and you shouldn't do such things unless you are prepared for the consequences, its not something to be made light of or be something to be particularly proud of either.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Galbally;523002 wrote: I don't know who this refers to either so I was just making a general point, not attacking anyone either, just to clarify that.

Would I point a gun at another person, yes I would if the circumstances called for it, absolutely, I am no pacifist, but they would have to be extreme circumstances indeed, and you shouldn't do such things unless you are prepared for the consequences, its not something to be made light of or be something to be particularly proud of either.

well said.

I know I could have before. I wouldn't accept a gun now unless it was an extreme circumstance. I truly believe that I would rather be shot than kill someone. The only exception would be to protect my child. Otherwise, if someone tried to hand me a gun I couldn't accept it.
weeder

Gun Control On FG

Post by weeder »

Ive tried to imagine shooting someone. The only scenario remotely possible would have been when my children were small and I imagined someone threatening them. For myself, I would go down kicking, screaming, and biting before I could ever pull a trigger and kill someone. But then, I could never shoot a rabbit or a deer either. Guns simply are not in my sphere of concieneness.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

weeder;523019 wrote: Ive tried to imagine shooting someone. The only scenario remotely possible would have been when my children were small and I imagined someone threatening them. For myself, I would go down kicking, screaming, and biting before I could ever pull a trigger and kill someone. But then, I could never shoot a rabbit or a deer either. Guns simply are not in my sphere of concieneness.

:yh_clap

thank you.
Peg

Gun Control On FG

Post by Peg »

This is what pisses me off about this place. If someone else had started this thread, most responses would be #1. This should have been done in PM and #2 Was this started just to stir?
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Peg;523029 wrote: This is what pisses me off about this place. If someone else had started this thread, most responses would be #1. This should have been done in PM and #2 Was this started just to stir?

I've stated my intentions quite clearly. And BR does not accept PMs.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Is there any going back? Once you've done it?

I'd be damaged.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Gun Control On FG

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I don't believe for one minute that Br said this with malice in mind . I bet it was just a smart ass comment . Can't we just give the girl a break .:-5
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Diuretic;523077 wrote: Thankfully I never squeezed the trigger on either of the occasions. The first time and I won't go into details lest it looks like an ego-trip war story but the bloke put down the rifle he had pointing at me and that was that. But without a hint of bravado or braggadocio I would have pulled the trigger if he didn't comply immediately. Afterwards when he was in custody I had this image of myself squeezing the trigger and frankly it stayed with me for years. Although nothing bad happened I imagined it could have and strangely enough I still think "what if?"

That's part of what bothers me. It seems that a person could tune out to what they are aiming at just long enough to pull a trigger and change their life forever.

I felt powerful just thinking about the idea of holding a gun. When I sense something dark in myself I like to examine it. I know I could have shot the arse that made me hate so much. Because of that, I never want to hold a gun. I don't have to.
Snooz

Gun Control On FG

Post by Snooz »

Sorry for sullying the forum with my presence, but I felt I needed to make a comment.

Those links were taken out of context. THIS thread was unnecessary. Furthermore, the people that felt the need to 'pile on' after declaring their love for BR in other threads should be ashamed of themselves for their comments here.

Nothing changes in here, does it.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

This thread is about the seriousness of holding a gun.

The comments brought to mind how strongly I felt about it.

I've clearly stated my intentions to keep that straight.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Diuretic;523085 wrote: On going back. A colleague of mine about ten or eleven years ago actually did have to shoot and kill a suspect. It was investigated and ruled to be lawful. That colleague had a mental breakdown and is still, years later, not back at work and never will be.

That would be me.

I'd have a breakdown.
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

Diuretic;523096 wrote: I can't help feeling that different people react in different ways.

I agree.

I'm sure some people think I'm an idiot for not wanting to have a gun to protect myself. It's just the way I am. I'd not recover well from using one.
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

Peg;523029 wrote: This is what pisses me off about this place. If someone else had started this thread, most responses would be #1. This should have been done in PM and #2 Was this started just to stir?

What is your problem ?

If someone makes a threat with a deadly weapon it sure as hell should be put front and center.

Pot stirring thats just a stupid forum term people like to throw around. Forums by nature are meant for open discussion. Or is this one of those deals where you just dont like people saying something upsetting to people you like ?

Did you pm br telling her how irresponsible that was ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;523082 wrote: I don't believe for one minute that Br said this with malice in mind . I bet it was just a smart ass comment . Can't we just give the girl a break .:-5

Theres a very definite line that should never be crossed.
I AM AWESOME MAN
cars

Gun Control On FG

Post by cars »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;523082 wrote: I don't believe for one minute that Br said this with malice in mind . I bet it was just a smart ass comment . Can't we just give the girl a break .:-5
I tend to agree with you pants. But strangely enough for me, I find myself also agreeing with Koan's view at the same time. (Thanks for sharring Koan, you were very wise) Even jokenly kidding about using a gun on someone is wrong! (Wise ass remark, or not, it reflects on all gun owners)
Cars :)
spot

Gun Control On FG

Post by spot »

Diuretic;523096 wrote: Of course the fact that he'd been a Paratrooper with the British Airborne might have had something to do with it, but I can't help feeling that different people react in different ways.Perhaps training and experience break down natural inhibitions. I found the following passage on Friday as I was reading "A Writer At War: Vasily Grossman With The Red Army 1941-1945" by Anthony Beevor and Luba Vinogradova that suggested the thought. This is from page 157 where he interviews a sniper, Anatoly Ivanovich Checkov, during the battle of Stalingrad:When I first got the rifle, I couldn't bring myself to kill a living being: one German was standing there for about four minutes, talking, and I let him go. When I killed my first one, he fell at once. Another one ran out and stooped over the killed one, and I knocked him down, to... When I first killed, I was shaking all over: the man was only walking to get some water!... I felt scared: I'd killed a person! Then I remembered our people and started killing them without mercy.

[...]

I've become a beast of a man: I kill, I hate them as if it is a normal thing in my life. I've killed forty men, three in the chest, the others in the head. When you fire, the head instantly jerks back or to the side. He throws up his hands and collapses ... Pchelintsev, too, had been sorry to kill: his first one, and the second. 'How could I?'
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

Gun Control On FG

Post by Galbally »

SnoozeAgain;523089 wrote: Sorry for sullying the forum with my presence, but I felt I needed to make a comment.

Those links were taken out of context. THIS thread was unnecessary. Furthermore, the people that felt the need to 'pile on' after declaring their love for BR in other threads should be ashamed of themselves for their comments here.

Nothing changes in here, does it.

Like I said to koan, I wasn't talking about anyone, I was making a point about how I felt about these things. I like BR a lot, like almost everyone else here, but I don't always agree with her views, come to think of it, I don't always agree with anyones views, including yours, though of course I like you a lot as well, as you know dear. ;) But I wasn't aware this was supposed to be about her, I thought it was about guns, which is a perfecltly valid thing to talk about. You know that I am not hypocritical in that way. Nice to see you back BTW. :rolleyes:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Gun Control On FG

Nomad;523109 wrote: Theres a very definite line that should never be crossed.

It feels like shes being hung out to dry when all she did was make a smart ass comment . Its not like she intended to actually go out and hurt someone.

koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

There were two members who made happy gun toting comments not just BR. And I'm not assuming they are the only members who could write such a thing and hit "submit".

I'm interested in finding out a general consensus on how people really feel about pointing a gun at someone. I know how the idea makes me feel.

Threatening other members is against the posting rules. That is a related issue but not the only reason for discussion. If I wanted just to complain about their behaviour I would have PMed the boss. I want to hear opinions on the entire subject. Hence starting this thread under the "Gun Control" forum.
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;523115 wrote: It feels like shes being hung out to dry when all she did was make a smart ass comment . Its not like she intended to actually go out and hurt someone.

Jesus !

I just dont get this thinking I really dont.You and others have some distorted view that because someone disagrees with another its a personal attack. Are you really going to defend using weapons as a threat ? Or are you just defending br because shes a friend ?

Shell be the first one to tell you she cant tolerate ass kissing or dishonesty. I like br very much but if she says something I disagree with Im going to speak up.

She wont fall apart. Others will but she wont. She respects honesty. Tell me Im wrong !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Galbally

Gun Control On FG

Post by Galbally »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;523115 wrote: It feels like shes being hung out to dry when all she did was make a smart ass comment . Its not like she intended to actually go out and hurt someone.

I have no interest in hanging anyone out to dry pants, we all say intemperate things in here that perhaps we shouldn't, me included, and we are all used enough to each other at this stage. I don't think thats whats happening here, but maybe I am wrong, I dunno. Its not what I am about anyway, I am just making my opinion known about guns, and issues around using them or talking about them, and thats perfectly valid I think.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Gun Control On FG

Nomad;523121 wrote: Jesus !

I just dont get this thinking I really dont.You and others have some distorted view that because someone disagrees with another its a personal attack. Are you really going to defend using weapons as a threat ? Or are you just defending br because shes a friend ?

Shell be the first one to tell you she cant tolerate ass kissing or dishonesty. I like br very much but if she says something I disagree with Im going to speak up.

She wont fall apart. Others will but she wont. She respects honesty. Tell me Im wrong !

If i considered what she said was made as a real threat then of course my opinion would be different . My guess is she and Patsy were joking so i see no reason to get your knickers in a twist .

cars

Gun Control On FG

Post by cars »

Nomad;523121 wrote: Jesus !

Your'e Not wrong!
Cars :)
Nomad

Gun Control On FG

Post by Nomad »

If I said the very same thing at work smart ass or not Id be fired on the spot and rightly so.
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Gun Control On FG

Post by koan »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;523124 wrote: If i considered what she said was made as a real threat then of course my opinion would be different . My guess is she and Patsy were joking no i see no reason to get your knickers in a twist .

pants, I feel really strongly about guns. So does BR. We don't agree.

This a forum area to discuss how we feel about guns.

BR is a big girl. She and I have no problem, that I know of, discussing our opinions.

get over it.

when you are ready, we'll be here talking about how we feel about holding a gun.

Return to “Gun Control”