One Strike Law

Discuss missing children, unsolved or suspicious deaths, and unidentified persons. Amber Alerts to be posted in the Amber Alert Forum only.
SOJOURNER

One Strike Law

Post by SOJOURNER »

Oprah stated yesterday that she would be coming to her viewers in the coming months with a plan to change the law.

She and others want to change the law so that people convicted of kidnapping and sexual abuse of a child, a woman or a man be sent away and not released again. They want this law to be uniform in all of our states.

Do you agree with this?

Would you work to help get such a law on our books?
RedGlitter

One Strike Law

Post by RedGlitter »

I see problems. I'd hate to see a parent who "kidnapped" their child from an abusive other parent or bad druggy scene, etc; get thrown away forever. It sounds great until you think about all the angles and that would be one.

I'd hate to see it for bogus cases of "statutory rape" too where we have a case of two people in love who have angry parents.

I don't think I would support this law for kidnapping where the child is returned intact, alive and not molested. Kidnapping with molestation or physical damage (aside from obvious emotional trauma) I would go along with a new law.

I'd like to see this law for drunk driving and rape.
Clint

One Strike Law

Post by Clint »

Our laws need more teeth. Kidnapping with sexual abuse is a terrible thing and life in prison sounds good to me. I don’t think it is all that simple though so maybe we should let some of them out for good behavior when they turn 99.

I worry about public figures with tons of money and fame using their clout the way Oprah is. She could take just about anything she fancied forward. Too many people worship at her feet.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
BabyRider

One Strike Law

Post by BabyRider »

I see a problem with an "absolute" punishment. Cases need to be taken as the individual circumstances that they all are. It's one of the big problems I see in the "justice" system, the blanketing punishments and lumping people in particular groups.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Clint

One Strike Law

Post by Clint »

BabyRider;522491 wrote: I see a problem with an "absolute" punishment. Cases need to be taken as the individual circumstances that they all are. It's one of the big problems I see in the "justice" system, the blanketing punishments and lumping people in particular groups.

I actually agree. My first reaction and response is to put them away and never look back. It just isn't that simple.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Rain

One Strike Law

Post by Rain »

Sounds good on paper, but as RG and BR said, there's more to it.
SOJOURNER

One Strike Law

Post by SOJOURNER »

All of these points are very valid. This is probably why Oprah said "in the coming months".

Hopefully these concerns will be addressed. Oprah doesn't seem like the sort of person that starts things without answers for the obvious exceptions that are likely to occur...... at least I'm hoping so.
SOJOURNER

One Strike Law

Post by SOJOURNER »

jesse b;523101 wrote: judge should have the right to use common sence

some one who take his or her child from a patner is not a danger to the child

some one who takes a child for profit or for abuse is different

some one who does not mean to kill is not guilt of murder

there for would not face murder sentance

if they are a danger to normal people lock em away

from the brother of murdered man

jess

You are absolutely corret. How to legislate this so the guilty cannot wiggle out of it will be the goal.

I'm sorry to hear you've lost your brother by another's hand. I hope time has given you some peace with this.
teramiabullfrog

One Strike Law

Post by teramiabullfrog »

SOJOURNER;522195 wrote: Oprah stated yesterday that she would be coming to her viewers in the coming months with a plan to change the law.

She and others want to change the law so that people convicted of kidnapping and sexual abuse of a child, a woman or a man be sent away and not released again. They want this law to be uniform in all of our states.

Do you agree with this?

Would you work to help get such a law on our books? WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER LAW ON THE BOOK THAT'S NOT GOING TO BE ENFORCED ANYWAY; HOWEVER, AFTER TALKING TO PEOPLE, THROUGHOUT THE WORLD, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO KEEP PEOPLE CONVICTED OF KIDNAPPING AND SEXUAL ABUSE OF A CHILD AWAY FROM THE REST OF SOCIETY. AND WHOEVER WROTE THAT A CHILD ABDUCTED BY A PARENT IS SAFE, IS MISTAKEN.
Lulu2

One Strike Law

Post by Lulu2 »

Several people have made the point that it's not "black and white," and that holds true with kidnapping by non-custodial parents. There are many reasons a responsible parent might take a child. Sometimes, the child's safety is the basis for that act. You can't always tell, especially if you haven't lived in that family.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Return to “Missing Children”