Organization

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
SOJOURNER

Organization

Post by SOJOURNER »

I've always thought organization was about "STUFF". You file it, box it, label it and/or store it.

In the book "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh of the program "Clean Sweep", it is NOT about "stuff".

Step One in getting organized is to work from the vision of the life you want to live. Is your "stuff" getting you to your goals?" Is your "stuff" impeding your vision for your life and if so, why is it in your home?

I am now trying to imagine my ideal life and want to try to change my relationship to my "stuff".

How do you handle your "stuff"? Do you control it, or has it taken over your life?
Marie5656

Organization

Post by Marie5656 »

I think I have definatly been taken over by my stuff. I mean, I am not one of those who has piles of newspapers and magazines all over the house. I do throw things away..but I find that I hesitate sometimes to get rid of old stuff before getting new.

And Rick does tend to buy more stuff that we do not really need. That brings up the whole need vs want issue when it comes to stuff. How often do you ask..do I NEED this, or just WANT it? There is a difference. I mean, we need things like new clothes and such things....but we WANT that new book or CD..anc cannot live without it sometimes.
SOJOURNER

Organization

Post by SOJOURNER »

Marie5656;522411 wrote: I think I have definatly been taken over by my stuff. I mean, I am not one of those who has piles of newspapers and magazines all over the house. I do throw things away..but I find that I hesitate sometimes to get rid of old stuff before getting new.

And Rick does tend to buy more stuff that we do not really need. That brings up the whole need vs want issue when it comes to stuff. How often do you ask..do I NEED this, or just WANT it? There is a difference. I mean, we need things like new clothes and such things....but we WANT that new book or CD..anc cannot live without it sometimes.

How very true. I'll buy a new skillet cause the old one needs to be replaced. But do I come home and throw out this old one? NO I DO NOT! Why??? Cause I might need it?????????????
SOJOURNER

Organization

Post by SOJOURNER »

Pinky;523132 wrote: Put it this way, I have a small house and most of my 'stuff' is books...they're everywhere! They're in the bedroom, both spare rooms, the lounge, there's even some in the bathroom!

The only things I struggle to find space for is the medieval stuff..the tent takes up a fair bit of space and the clothes have to be hung up, so most of my clothes live in the overhead cupboard.

I don't think any of it hinders me in any way though, I don't see why it would.

Books are the joy and bane of all readers. I now try and pass on my books so that they are 'on loan' rather than storage. Then when they are finally returned (if they are), I find I don't really want to keep them and so I give them away.
Bez

Organization

Post by Bez »

I'm quite organised to the point where sometimes 'stuff' gets given a new life (Charity shop, family etc) and then I regret it's not still with me...not very often though.

Even though I've been a 'collector', I've never been a 'hoarder'.....I also like books, but apart from the ones worth reading more than once and those that were given to me on a special occasion or have a special meaning, I always pass them them on , normally via work where we have a 'library' of sorts and you pay £1 to borrow a book.... the proceeds go to the local hospice.

There are 2 reasons we aquire things.....a) we NEED them and b) we WANT them.

I'm not quite sure I understand what this guy is getting at......I have a few things that are pleasing to the eye like ornaments, pictures....they give me pleasure when I look at them....is this part of my GOAL to be happy.:confused:

I feel my 'stuff' is under control....can you explain a bit more Sojo.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Marie5656

Organization

Post by Marie5656 »

I have three bookshelves of books. Alot of them. Rick once asked, why do you keep them after you read them? Why not get rid of them after you read them, so you have more space.

My response was..I will start getting rid of books when you start getting rid of some of the 800 CDs you own..after you listen to them. Funny thing, he has never brought it up again. In fact, he went out and got me my third bookcase.
SOJOURNER

Organization

Post by SOJOURNER »

Bez;523191 wrote: I always pass them them on , normally via work where we have a 'library' of sorts and you pay £1 to borrow a book.... the proceeds go to the local hospice.

What an absolutely wonderful idea! I shall have to use it and pass it on to others. Thanks!

There are 2 reasons we aquire things.....a) we NEED them and b) we WANT them.

I'm not quite sure I understand what this guy is getting at......I have a few things that are pleasing to the eye like ornaments, pictures....they give me pleasure when I look at them....is this part of my GOAL to be happy.:confused:

I feel my 'stuff' is under control....can you explain a bit more Sojo.

As so as I get a bit further in I shall say more about his theory's.

Livin4Christ

Organization

Post by Livin4Christ »

Has anyone ever tried or heard of Flylady? I don't completely do all that is in her plan, but alot of her ideas have helped me alot in decluttering, cleaning, organization, etc.. :)

Return to “Home Management”