valerie

An obesity report card?

Post by valerie »

Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Sheryl

An obesity report card?

Post by Sheryl »

I'm not sure what to think. I see both sides of the story.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
minks

An obesity report card?

Post by minks »

this makes me want to scream

"poor children suffering because of lousy parenting"

Childhood obesity is a crime, almost a form of Child abuse in my opinion.

I had neighbors a few years back who were incredibly obese, as were their children ... their son at age 4 was half my daughters weight (age 14) and when she had to baby sit him, she could not lift him.....

Sad Sad Sad.

Yes like Sheryl I don't know which side to take, but perhaps a discrete letter home to parents would have been wiser.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Sheryl

An obesity report card?

Post by Sheryl »

I agree Minks, I get so mad when I see kids who do nothing but sit in front of the tv, or play video games.

my son
minks

An obesity report card?

Post by minks »

Sheryl;519375 wrote: I agree Minks, I get so mad when I see kids who do nothing but sit in front of the tv, or play video games.

Sheryl they say kids in school now days do not know how to "skip" "jump rope" is that sad or what. Double dutch, or the long elastic rope strung between 2 girls and you jumped through or on them in a sequence of steps.

I remember the fun we used to have playing a silly ball game, you had a hard rubber ball, and you made up a sequence of tosses against the school wall, and you had to do step 1, then step 1 and 2, then 1,2,3 etc, in a row without dropping the ball, I want to call it 7up but don't think it was that... but we amused ourselves for hours.

How about the hard rubber ball in a nylon stocking and we put our backs to the school wall (outside of course) and bounced this from the right side of our body to the left under an arm, or a leg over the head etc... gawd for hours.

Simple fun no longer exists :(
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
greydeadhead

An obesity report card?

Post by greydeadhead »

Okay..first of all let me say that I agree that currently young people are in the midst of an obesity epidemic.. I mean when I see kids that weigh as much as I do, and they are chowing down on half a pizza or something, yes something is wrong.

But..

this article says that the schools are using the BMI index to evaluate if a child is obese or not. This isn't a good measureing tool to be using. A more accurate evaluation would have been measureing percentage of body fat.

According to the BMI index, I am borderline obese, yet my body fat percentage is between 5-8%.. not bad for an old guy.

Diet and exercise are key to saving our young people from this deadly epidemic. Too many diseases have thier basis in obesity.. diabetes, heart disease..etc.

rule number 1... turn off the TV, Video game and Computer..

start from there..

okay

rant over.
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
Sheryl

An obesity report card?

Post by Sheryl »

I don't remember those games. We jumped rope, played kickball, dodgeball, tag and all sorts of game that had us winded. :wah:

my son
tedhutchinson

An obesity report card?

Post by tedhutchinson »

I agree that if you are going to weigh kids in school and send a report home then you need to use this as an opportunity for educating the parents so they understand what the problem is and what they can do about it.

But the problem is getting just as serious in the UK

From 1995 to 2004 the rates have gone up by 50% so whereas in

95 it was only 25% of 11-15yr old boys overweight in 2004 its 35%

and 1995...............30% of 11-15 yr old girls overweight in 2004 its 46%

the first thing we need to do is ban fizzy drinks in schools. No carbonated colas or pop or soda at all in school. It doesn't matter if they are sugar or aspartame they are all empty calories and dangerous to health and laced with caffeine to make them addictive. The last report on fizzy drink consumption shows that a quarter of kids drank more than 3 cans a day. The problem is that if they are drinking this then they are depleting their bodies magnesium, zinc and calcium as these are locked up and sent down the loo. See What Happens To Your Body If You Drink A Coke Right Now? The calcium/magnesium depletion is known to Cause a loss of bone density in women so it will have the same effect in kids.

We need to ban trans fat from all kids meals. There really is no place for it in any one's diet. It's twice as fattening as calories from ordinary saturated fats and therefore does twice the damage, it's no wonder we're facing a nation with fertility problems when we know trans fat just makes fertility harder.

We should also make all kids walk to school. Cars should be banned from parking nearer than half a mile from the school grounds. Then at least they would get some exercise going to and from school. A recent UK study tracking the movement of kids in the environment (they were all tagged (with parents consent) and everywhere they went was plotted) the kids who WALKED to school were more active in school and in the playground. The more they are made to exercise the more voluntary exercise they will do for themselves.

Apart from that we could (in the UK) do well to prevent the promotion (special offers) on high fat, high sugar, high salt low fibre foods. If we said only wholegrain, no sugar low salt low fat foods could be placed on special offer or promoted in store or on TV/newspaper/kids magazines, it would reduce the temptation to buy. It's very tempting to poor families when the plain boring cereal is full price and the junk food cereal is on bogoff to resist the one you know your kids will prefer eating. If the healthy food was always cheapest and the unhealthy ones were not allowed to be sold cheaper than the healthy options then the more naive consumers would be protected.

We could follow up this rule with one saying that wholewheat bread should always be available cheaper than white bread, Wholegrain pasta should be cheaper than white pasta and brown rice cheaper than white.

It takes less processing and it is the more highly processed foods that add calories quicker.
SuzyB

An obesity report card?

Post by SuzyB »

Between Jim and I we have 6 children, 3 teenagers, 1 eleven year old and 2 that are ten.

My son who is eleven is fed the same food as my ten year old daughter, yet my daughter would be classed as overweight, Jim daughter is also ten and she is overweight too, the hard thing there, is that we have no control to what she eats in the week, so we already have an uphill struggle as her mum won't listen, when Jim tries to talk to her about healthy eating for their daughter.

Sam( my son) is very active with many sports and Jenna(my daughter) really only enjoys swimming.

I try to give the children a balanced diet but i do believe a lot of it comes down to genes and metabolism.

In today's world with many people rushing to jobs after the school run walking isn't really an option, especially if you have children attending different schools, after school many children do activities so you need to drive to get them there on time.

I know that my daughter is very self-conscious about weight/size and i feel that to introduce a 'report card' at school would definitely increase eating disorders.

Being overweight myself i'd never want my children to suffer, but i hope by teaching them and encouraging them to make the right choices, they will grow into confident young adults. :) :-6
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Bill Sikes

An obesity report card?

Post by Bill Sikes »

valerie;519295 wrote: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9619C8B63

thinking:

Seems an over-technical departure. If schools are to have a place in

this sort or effort, they should advise during parents evenings, and use

PE to best effect, as well as tailoring their luncheon provision. You can

see whether someone has a weight problem just by looking at them

(although BMI over particular values must be indicative!). Schools can't

be the ultimate arbiters - that must be the job of the parents (or maybe

the hospitals).
tedhutchinson

An obesity report card?

Post by tedhutchinson »

While the final arbiters will be the parents I believe it is reasonable for teachers as intelligent, responsible and generally sensible professionals who care about the wellbeing of the children they teach to draw to the parents attention aspects about the childs upbringing which might be improved.

There are some sensible suggestions for a way forward here

We are heading to a situation where the lives of the next generation are going to be so damaged by highly refined, over salted, over processed foods that they will die before their parents, that is unless we take some action to change what is happening.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”