Lobster fishing

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Anybody here want to know anything about lobster fishing? If so ask away. I will do my best to answer.
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
Marie5656

Lobster fishing

Post by Marie5656 »

So, how do you know where the best fishing is? What do you do to prevent over fishing an area?
guppy

Lobster fishing

Post by guppy »

how big do they have to be before you can keep them?

is there a limit per season per boat?

how do you keep from getting pinched by their claws?

in the keys we go to the bottom, touch them with a tickle stick and then pick them up before they skitter away...amateur way of doing it.....did you know you can hear them making a clicking noise when you are close to them underwater?...it sound wierd to me.......

how do you catch them? by cages?

how do you store them before you sell them? do you throw them on ice?
koan

Lobster fishing

Post by koan »

can you tell us about the best part of being out on the open sea?

I'm from Canada originally. Howdy, eh?
guppy

Lobster fishing

Post by guppy »

do other sea critters ever steal your lobsters?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Marie5656;503523 wrote: So, how do you know where the best fishing is? What do you do to prevent over fishing an area?

Good question. This is when experience comes into play. After fishing season after season you kind of know where the hot spots are. But having said that it can change from year to year. So at times we set our traps in an area that was very good the previous season and it turns out to not so good this season. So at that time we must move all the traps to a different area.

For over fishing!

We are only permitted to set 375 traps in the fall and 400 in the spring. We must also put back any female lobsters that are seeded(egg bearing) and v notched. A V notched lobster is a female that was caught with eggs and we notch the tail and when this lobsteris caught again it must be put back. The Lobsters must also be 3 14 inch on the back shell. Also the season is six months long.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

guppy;503531 wrote: how big do they have to be before you can keep them?

is there a limit per season per boat?

how do you keep from getting pinched by their claws?

in the keys we go to the bottom, touch them with a tickle stick and then pick them up before they skitter away...amateur way of doing it.....did you know you can hear them making a clicking noise when you are close to them underwater?...it sound wierd to me.......

how do you catch them? by cages?

how do you store them before you sell them? do you throw them on ice?

The shell must be 3 14 from the back of the eye to where the tail starts.

No limit on the amount of lobsters we can catch just the trap limit.

Some times we do get bit and it hurts like hell. When this happens the best thing to do is just let it bite. If you try and free yourself it will bite harder.

We catch them in a trap, you could call it a cage i guess.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

koan;503539 wrote: can you tell us about the best part of being out on the open sea?

I'm from Canada originally. Howdy, eh?

The best part! I guess I would have to say the money. This is very hard work and most people are there only cause of the money. I myself love it on a nice clear day. The clean fresh air and beautiful sunrise is great.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

guppy;503602 wrote: do other sea critters ever steal your lobsters?

Yes. The cod fish will feed on small lobsters. It was not uncommon to open up a cod fish and see two baby lobsters inside. A fish call a Scalpen also eats Lobster.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Here are a couple of pics of a blue lobster. I did not catch these lobster, the picture was sent to me by a friend. I have caught them in the past and I have also seen yellow ones as well.

Attached files
Carl44

Lobster fishing

Post by Carl44 »

whats the biggest lobster you have ever caught i have heard they can grow up to 5 feet is that true

:thinking:
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... bster.html

Check this link out jimbo. It should answer your question.

As for the biggest I have caught I would have to say around 10 lbs.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Clipper;512447 wrote: My son caught a blue lobster while fishing for flounder several years ago. We delivered the lobster to a local aquarium and they were thrilled to accept it. It was only 4 pounds when caught and I have no idea how big it is now.

Cool! I use to catch lobster all them time with a fishing line as a child. We had to be careful though it is illegal here.
Carl44

Lobster fishing

Post by Carl44 »

fisher;512438 wrote: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... bster.html

Check this link out jimbo. It should answer your question.

As for the biggest I have caught I would have to say around 10 lbs.

wow it looks like my ex mother in law as an expert in both fields do you think they may of been related :thinking:

which is the odd one out here

an octopus

a guy from china that has been run over by a truck

or a lobster

for those of you that said octopus give yourselves a pat on the back for the other two are of course crustaceans

:D :D
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Clipper;512521 wrote: It was a real fluke that he hooked the lobster in a claw joint while bottom fishing for the flounder. Odds have to be better than 1 inna million of anyone doing that on purpose I'll bet.:D

The Aquarium even gave the blue fellow a name but I can't recall what.:-5

What I would do is place a big piece of bait on the hook and just let it sit on the bottom. Than slowly pull up the line. The lobsters would be hanging on the bait. The trick is to pull very slow so the lobster does not fall off.
YZGI

Lobster fishing

Post by YZGI »

Do you eat any of the lobster while your fishing for them?
YZGI

Lobster fishing

Post by YZGI »

Oh and could you mail me a large box of them?
CARLA

Lobster fishing

Post by CARLA »

DITTO.. :D

[QUOTE]Oh and could you mail me a large box of them?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Carl44

Lobster fishing

Post by Carl44 »

jimbo;512484 wrote: wow it looks like my ex mother in law as an expert in both fields do you think they may of been related

which is the odd one out here

an octopus

a guy from china that has been run over by a truck

or a lobster

for those of you that said octopus give yourselves a pat on the back for the other two are of course crustaceans

:D :D

thats really funny no one got my crushed asian joke ... when no one laughs at my jokes suzy cracks up this will amuse her for days :wah: :thinking:
greydeadhead

Lobster fishing

Post by greydeadhead »

fisher;512531 wrote: What I would do is place a big piece of bait on the hook and just let it sit on the bottom. Than slowly pull up the line. The lobsters would be hanging on the bait. The trick is to pull very slow so the lobster does not fall off.

This is how you go crabbing down in NJ... use chicken necks or bunker pieces for bait..

when you feel the crab on the line very very slowly pull it up.. then slide a net under the crab and grab that sucker..

Ahh Fisher... you bring back memories..

I used to go out on lobster boats on the Bay of Fundi when I was aroud 7 years old..

learne how to band them then..

and all about the traps.. the parlor and the dining room...

and the difference between the claws....
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
YZGI

Lobster fishing

Post by YZGI »

jimbo;512569 wrote: thats really funny no one got my crushed asian joke ... when no one laughs at my jokes suzy cracks up this will amuse her for days :wah: :thinking:
oh yes we got it. We are just to lazy to post and tell you.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

YZGI;512543 wrote: Do you eat any of the lobster while your fishing for them?

Yes! once in awhile we will cook a pot of lobsters on the boat. This is the best way to have lobsters. Fresh from the trap and Cooked in salt water. This is illegal though.:lips:
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

YZGI;512545 wrote: Oh and could you mail me a large box of them?

Sure! now is the time to buy. The price is very low. Good for you not good for me.
YZGI

Lobster fishing

Post by YZGI »

I knew I should'nt have read this thread. Now my mouth is watering uncontrolably. Is that a word?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

greydeadhead;512571 wrote: This is how you go crabbing down in NJ... use chicken necks or bunker pieces for bait..

when you feel the crab on the line very very slowly pull it up.. then slide a net under the crab and grab that sucker..

Ahh Fisher... you bring back memories..

I used to go out on lobster boats on the Bay of Fundi when I was aroud 7 years old..

learne how to band them then..

and all about the traps.. the parlor and the dining room...

and the difference between the claws....

Were the traps wood or wire at that time?
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

I found this video on youtube about lobster fishing.This is hows it done.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Kathy Ellen;579824 wrote: Hello Fisher,

I posted a question to you long ago, but don't think you saw it. Have you ever read Linda Greenlaw's books? One book she wrote was.. "The Lobster Chronicles."

I love all of her books and think she's a great "fisherwoman."

Would like to know your opinion about women who fish and command boats.

Thanks,

Kathy

I am sorry if I missed a question you posted. I have not read any of her books.

There is one women in my village that fishes and I know of another.

I think it would be easier for a women to Capitan a boat instead of working on the crew. This is a very hard job, those traps are quite heavy. During a normal day like it shows in the video is not too bad but when we have to move our traps to a different area they all have to be packed on the boat. That means they are packed 5 or 6 high. It would talk a very strong women to do that.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Lobster fishing is done for another season it ended the end of may. The season was not a profitable one with low prices at the beginning and very few lobsters at the end. I start my summer job on Mon as a welder. When fishing was very good I did not need a summer job but looks like those days are over. I am grateful it was a safe season and hoping the next one will be safe and profitable.
Carl44

Lobster fishing

Post by Carl44 »

good to see you in the garden my fave lobsterer :D

how are things buddy ,soberano is on holiday ,wize guy does not post much at weekends ,and most of the fg women are going through the hot flush phase ,you cant even joke with them without the threat of a ban :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

glad your about :D
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

jimbo;627776 wrote: good to see you in the garden my fave lobsterer :D

how are things buddy ,soberano is on holiday ,wize guy does not post much at weekends ,and most of the fg women are going through the hot flush phase ,you cant even joke with them without the threat of a ban :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

glad your about :D

Nice hearing from you jimbo..Thanks for the warning I will have to keep the jokes down to a minimum.lol
Marie5656

Lobster fishing

Post by Marie5656 »

Not quite lobster fishing, but my husband now has mee hooked on the reality show "Deadliest Catch". It is about the crab fishing boats in Alaska. It follows a group of crab fishermen during the season. Wow, to see what they go through to put crab legs on our table. Makes me almost not want to eat them...but then the fishermen would be out of business.
Carl44

Lobster fishing

Post by Carl44 »

Marie5656;627873 wrote: Not quite lobster fishing, but my husband now has mee hooked on the reality show "Deadliest Catch". It is about the crab fishing boats in Alaska. It follows a group of crab fishermen during the season. Wow, to see what they go through to put crab legs on our table. Makes me almost not want to eat them...but then the fishermen would be out of business.

in England we go lobster fishing in nothing but arm bands and a wooly jumper ,we are tough like that :cool: :cool:
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Kathy Ellen;628790 wrote: Hi Fischer,

Thanks for answering my question. This woman does "captain" the boat. Her last boat crew fished for swordfish. Do you think the crew of men would respect a woman for doing this job?

I don't know why I'm so interested in this, guess I just wonder if men would respect a woman who is at the helm:-6

I think if she is capable of doing the job she would get the respect.

What type of sword fishing did she do? long line or sticking? I spent a few summers sticking swordfish is was great.
NotToday

Lobster fishing

Post by NotToday »

I'm hungry.

Lobster sounds good right now.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax, and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Kathy Ellen;633514 wrote: Not sure Fischer, think it was long line...can't put my hand on the book right now. The book is called "The Hungry Ocean."

ok I will keep that in mind. thanks
Carl44

Lobster fishing

Post by Carl44 »

hey fisher good to see you about ,i was kinda hoping you would be my trusty side kick helping me in achieving my main goal in life ,annoying soborat

any way i was just wondering if there was any way you could use my ex as bait in your lobster pots :D :D
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

jimbo;634848 wrote: hey fisher good to see you about ,i was kinda hoping you would be my trusty side kick helping me in achieving my main goal in life ,annoying soborat

any way i was just wondering if there was any way you could use my ex as bait in your lobster pots :D :D

Sure Jimbo anything for a friend...Now as the ex for bait, do you think she will attract the big lobsters?:)
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Kathy Ellen;638692 wrote: Hi Fisher,

Don't know why I'm so obsessed with lobster fishing. Think it was reading the Linda Greenlaw books. The other night I watched a documentary about the Fiords. They showed the aquatic animals indigenous to the area. There was a straight line of thousands of lobsters migrating. It was fabulous to watch.

Sounds like a great place to set my lobster traps lol....
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Well it's 5 weeks to another lobster season and I sure hope we get a better price than we did last year which was only 3.25 a pound compared to 7.00 a pound the previous year. Another year like last and there will be alot of people looking elsewhere for work.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256175 wrote: Well it's 5 weeks to another lobster season and I sure hope we get a better price than we did last year which was only 3.25 a pound compared to 7.00 a pound the previous year. Another year like last and there will be alot of people looking elsewhere for work.

sounds like they've all been fished out.

Years ago my first husband and myself used to drive to Charlo, N.B. where his parents owned a store and we would always go during lobster season...omg..nothing beats fresh lobsters!:guitarist:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256180 wrote: sounds like they've all been fished out.

Years ago my first husband and myself used to drive to Charlo, N.B. where his parents owned a store and we would always go during lobster season...omg..nothing beats fresh lobsters!:guitarist:guitarist

There were plenty of lobsters just a low price for them.
Odie

Lobster fishing

Post by Odie »

fisher;1256225 wrote: There were plenty of lobsters just a low price for them.

that's not good, but its the damn economy, anything for an excuse!
Life is just to short for drama.
fisher

Lobster fishing

Post by fisher »

Odie;1256233 wrote: that's not good, but its the damn economy, anything for an excuse!

yep that's it. I hope we get a better price this year, my income for the last season was down 39%

Return to “Work Employment”