Advice needed.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Okay I need some sensible advice here please.

Due to a recent change in circumstances I need to find a job and quickly.

I havent worked in a "proper" job for a LONG time!

I've done nannying and childminding and a lot of voluntary work, worked in my kids schools and home schooled my daughter last year.

But now I need an office job that pays good money.

I've been sent 2 interviews - January 5th and January 10th and I have 3 more job application forms to fill in.

So what do I say in an interview to make me appear super confident and intelligent and not a total thicko. I don't want them to see me as a dippy blonde even if I am! :o I also don't want to appear desperate - even though I am that too! :thinking:

They always used to ask - where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Or - what will you bring to our company?

Why should we employ you?

What are your bad points?

Do you have any questions to ask us?

What should I say? What should I ask?

I also can't find any of my exam certificates or any references! I haven't needed them in ages and I've moved house about 10 times since then! What can I say about those?

At the same time I have to have an operation on January 17th to remove some cancerous cells. I KNOW I shouldn't cancel this but I also need to pay the rent. So telling me I HAVE to have the op doesn't help, I know that already!

But could I start a job and only work a half week? Wouldn't they think I was too sickly to employ? If they offer me a job and say I can start straight away I'm not going to turn it down and say I'll start after the op.

Also, I have diabetes. Should I tell them this or can I pretend that I develop it later in the year? Will it prejudice my chances if I say I'm diabetic?

I need to get a job to pay the rent. Everything else is secondary.

Working with that guideline, what advice can you offer me?

I'm open to good answers and good suggestions. :yh_pray

Thanks everyone. :o
Marie5656

Advice needed.

Post by Marie5656 »

Rapunzel;502210 wrote: Okay I need some sensible advice here please.

Due to a recent change in circumstances I need to find a job and quickly.

I havent worked in a "proper" job for a LONG time!

I've done nannying and childminding and a lot of voluntary work, worked in my kids schools and home schooled my daughter last year.

But now I need an office job that pays good money.

I've been sent 2 interviews - January 5th and January 10th and I have 3 more job application forms to fill in.

So what do I say in an interview to make me appear super confident and intelligent and not a total thicko. I don't want them to see me as a dippy blonde even if I am! :o I also don't want to appear desperate - even though I am that too! :thinking:

They always used to ask - where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Or - what will you bring to our company?

Why should we employ you?

What are your bad points?

Do you have any questions to ask us?

What should I say? What should I ask?

. :o

OK, be prepared with answers to these questions going in...since they may well be asked. It will make you appear more confident if you can begin your answer immediatly.

You are not obligated to tell them about being diabetic before hire...you may wish to do so after hire, in case you become ill, so they can help you if needed. My husband informed his employer of his diabetes when he started his job, and they were fine with it. In fact, the secretary at his job has bot my number and Rick's doctor on speed dial, if needed.

As for certifications..you may be able to get copies from your schools.

Is there someone from your prior employment willing to be a reference?

Make sure you kn ow something about the company you will be working for..it may help when asnwering any questions about why you want the job...to be able to be specific about why your talents match thier needs. Friends..neighbors...peolpe from church or something like that?

I would probably NOT mention the medical procedure on the 17th....unless hyou are hired in the spot, you may wish to say you cannot start till after the 17th due to having a medical appointment. I do not think you would need to say more unless the results indicated further medical treatment. (Keep us posted, BTW).
Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Hamster;502212 wrote: Rap...Have you thought about contacting the Citizens advice bureau?? They can help you find out your rights here in this situation with the op etc?

Thanks Hammy, but I don't think I need to know my rights. I think I need to know if I should tell them about it at the interview or wait until I've got the job? The other thing was that both these jobs have a medical form I have to fill in! I don't really want them to know about the op or the diabetes just yet, in case it acts as a mark against me. (I know they're not "allowed" to do that but who wants to employ someone who might be off sick with a medical condition?)

Also, the medical form asks about height, weight, etc! How much can I believably knock off? hehe :o
chonsigirl

Advice needed.

Post by chonsigirl »

Lots of good luck, you will do fine. Don't stress.

They always used to ask - where do you see yourself in 5 years time? I see myself as a productive contributor to my place of employment, having leanred new skills to further enhance my capabilities

Or - what will you bring to our company?An assurance that I am capable of performing the tasks required, and the ability to learn new requirements that may be assigned

Why should we employ you?I am a hard worker and willing to learn new things, and would be a great assest to your company

What are your bad points?It has been a few years since I have been in the regular business world, but have kept current with recent trends

Do you have any questions to ask us?Hours of employment, salary, benefits they will provide you with
RedGlitter

Advice needed.

Post by RedGlitter »

It has been sadly common in the past to refuse jobs to diabetics but that is changing. Don't tell them anything. It's not their business. It's not like you're driving a schoolbus full of kids and might lapse into a coma. Don't tell them about the cancer. That would go against you more than diabetes. Let me rephrase this stuff: When I say don't, I really mean "this is what I would do," not telling you what you should do. ;)

Get the job first, show them what you can do in the short time you have before the op, and then tell them. You could always try being more up front with them but that's just a different choice. I would get in the door first if it were me.

They should hire you because as a child caretaker you have shown immense responsibilty and organizational/management/people skills (dealing with both kids and their adult parents) and have a lot of patience and can handle tense situations. This makes you a shoo-in for an office job, don't you think?

You have good phone skills. (Make sure you do if you say this. Tip: always smile when talking on phone as it comes through your voice)

Wher will you be in five years? This question I loathe. I'll let someone else have that one. :o

Why employ YOU? This you can best answer yourself. You know yoruself. What is something, some extra spark that you can offer that others may not? Ask some people who know you for their answers.

Bad Points: "I tend to immerse myself in my work and bring it home with me." Maybe something like that. Try to turn a negative into a positive. "I tend to get so involved in my work that I don't often have time to assist my coworkers in theirs." Something like that. Those are crappy examples and I'm sorry. :o Don't put yourself down though! Never say anything like "My desk is often sloppy" or "I sometimes sleep too late."

Any questions to ask us: Turn it around so you don't look desperate. I have done this and it floors them sometimes. Ask "what can your company offer me as an employee? Why would I want to work for your company?" First though, ask them something nice about their company: "I understand your company has been in business for X years. What is the main force behind its longevity? I have heard many good things about (name of company) and that it's a good place to work. I like to work for an employer and company that earns respect. I appreciate that. Why do you feel clients choose this company to do their business with?"

Something like that. Always put yourself in a positive light. Keep your head up and when you meet, when you leave and sometime during the conversation, SMILE. That is the first thing they will notice about you. I'm not sure how women shaking hands goes in yoru country but here I always offer my hand to the interviewer and I shake firmly. That is something I personally respect so I do that myself.

Always thank the interviewer for their time and tell them you look forward to hearing from them.

GOOD LUCK RAPUNZEL! :)

PS: I know about rent too but Rapunzel please don't put off your operation. Please.
chonsigirl

Advice needed.

Post by chonsigirl »

Don't tell them any health issues, it really is not a part of the hiring process. Do try to find your exam certificates, or tell them you misplaced them but have already sent for them. (and do it before the interview)
Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Marie5656;502216 wrote: OK, be prepared with answers to these questions going in...since they may well be asked. It will make you appear more confident if you can begin your answer immediatly.

You are not obligated to tell them about being diabetic before hire...you may wish to do so after hire, in case you become ill, so they can help you if needed. My husband informed his employer of his diabetes when he started his job, and they were fine with it. In fact, the secretary at his job has bot my number and Rick's doctor on speed dial, if needed.

As for certifications..you may be able to get copies from your schools.

Is there someone from your prior employment willing to be a reference?

Make sure you kn ow something about the company you will be working for..it may help when asnwering any questions about why you want the job...to be able to be specific about why your talents match thier needs. Friends..neighbors...peolpe from church or something like that?

I would probably NOT mention the medical procedure on the 17th....unless hyou are hired in the spot, you may wish to say you cannot start till after the 17th due to having a medical appointment. I do not think you would need to say more unless the results indicated further medical treatment. (Keep us posted, BTW).

Thanks Marie. :) I do have some answers but its all run-of-the-mill stuff they've probably heard before. I need something that makes me stand out - knowing me it'll be because I trip over on the way in or spill coffee all down myself. :(

I have put down the name of the lady I did voluntary work for and a friend as referees. I thought they might want a reference from my last office job.

Certificates cost about £35 per subject apparently, which is too costly at the moment. Yes, I thought about looking up stuff about them although its not really relevant for one of the jobs, but of course it all helps.

I dont understand what you meant by

Friends..neighbors...peolpe from church or something like that?

The chances are that I'll need a hysterectomy to prevent the cancerous cells from spreading, which apparently involves 4-5 weeks in bed afterwards. Also the diabetes can cause problems as apparently it causes your blood pressure to drop drastically. So do I tell them any of this? Do I HAVE to tell them on the medical form? Or can I pretend its all happened suddenly and unexpectedly?

I feel as if I'm cheating them by not telling them, but once its all over I'll work as hard and as diligently as I can. I won't be taking sick days when the weathers nice or chat to my mates on the office phone or whatever, but I feel I'm giving them a bum del by having to take sick time off so soon! :(
Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

chonsigirl;502232 wrote: Lots of good luck, you will do fine. Don't stress.

They always used to ask - where do you see yourself in 5 years time? I see myself as a productive contributor to my place of employment, having leanred new skills to further enhance my capabilities

Or - what will you bring to our company?An assurance that I am capable of performing the tasks required, and the ability to learn new requirements that may be assigned

Why should we employ you?I am a hard worker and willing to learn new things, and would be a great assest to your company

What are your bad points?It has been a few years since I have been in the regular business world, but have kept current with recent trends

Do you have any questions to ask us?Hours of employment, salary, benefits they will provide you with

Thanks Chonsi, that is incredibly helpful! :)

I will memorise these great answers! :)

But can I ask about salary at the interview? I was always told NOT to ask this but it really IS the MOST important question now! :o
Erinna1112

Advice needed.

Post by Erinna1112 »

"Why should we hire you?" (or "what will you bring to our company?" Same basic question)

Be specific. Everyone says they're hardworking, motivated, and a "people person." This is your chance to toot your own horn - DO IT! Don't be modest here. Take the opportunity to lay out your strengths, talents, skills, and things you're enthusiastic about. Your childcare experience has made you flexible, adaptive, and responsive to changes in your environment. Say so. Don't use generic, cliched answers.

"What is one of your weak points?"

The key here is to be honest, but demonstrate how you turned it into a strength. If you've been disorganized in the past, tell how you took steps to make it better. This shows that you recognize you're not perfect, are self-aware enough to realize what exactly needs improvement, and have the initiative to correct it.

"Where do you see yourself in five years' time?"

Keep your ambitions to be a racehorse trainer or CEO of your own consulting firm to yourself. The interviewer is looking for some commitment to the company, a decent amount of ambition to move up within it, but not Alexander the Great.

"Do you have any questions?"

Never, NEVER, NEVER say no to this question. Research the company at which you are interviewing, and come up with some questions based upon that research. Other good questions would be, "What's a typical day for someone in this job?" "Why are you hiring for this position?" (lets you know if the company is growing - which you should know from your research - or if the previous person left, why they did so) But you should always, every time, have questions specific to the company where you are interviewing. Two or three are enough; it's not an interrogation.

A few tips from someone who's been on both sides of the interview desk:

No matter what you've seen other people in the office wear, WEAR A SUIT. It is much, much better to dress too conservatively than not.

Lay off the perfume and heavy makeup.

Have extra copies of your resume, and something in which to keep them tidy - a leather portfolio is best, but a paper folder is much better than nothing at all.

Arrive ten to fifteen minutes early. Any earlier, and you look desperate, which (as you noted) isn't good. Arriving late, however, will probably cost you the job.

Greet the receptionist politely. This is your first impression, and if your interviewer doesn't ask the receptionist about you, I'd be surprised.

When you meet the person you'll be speaking with, stand up if you're sitting, make eye contact, and shake hands firmly. Don't squeeze, and don't make "fingertip" contact. But also, don't do what my dad does and wind up like a major league pitcher. He (seriously) starts a handshake with his hand back behind his right hip, thrusts his hand forward like he's trying to open a sticky door, and makes a hard enough contact to make a slapping sound. I've seen people wince, shaking hands with him. Don't do it that way ;)

When asked a question that has more than just a simple yes-or-no answer, pause for just a second. If you jump right in with the answer, you sound rehearsed and insincere; a slight pause will make you sound sincere. Also, don't rehash information that's included on your resume.

Don't feel the need to fill in silences. Some interviewers use this as a tool. Answer the question, briefly but completely, and be still. Don't let the other person's silence make you fidgety, or - worse - come across with too much information. After a few seconds, ask "Is there anything more I can clarify for you on that point?" And then stop talking again. Asking them a question forces the ball back into their court.

Never, ever ask about salary at the first interview!! Don't do it. You look like you're just in it for the money. They know you want to get paid. They plan to pay you. Salary negotiation happens after you get the offer, NEVER before.

Hope this helps - and good luck!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
Imladris

Advice needed.

Post by Imladris »

I'm afraid I disagree with the others - you do need to disclose you medical conditions especially if you are asked to do so on an application form. If you are offered the job and then tell them about it you may find the job withdrawn and have to explain why at the next interview,

Diabetes should not prove a problem provided you are looking after yourself and it can be downplayed in conversation.

As for the possibility of a hysterectomy - you must tell a potential employer about this, you will need six weeks off work (not to be spent in bed - had one myself can tell you about it another time if you want) and you will probably be still tired after that and will have to take care with lifting etc (you won't be able to drive either for 6 weeksish)

I've been an employer and done interviews - we always appreciate honesty and if the candidate is the best for the job we will make allowances for pending medical treatment.

Don't worry about exam certificates, most employers only want to see them from youngsters just out of school or college. References are not seen as vital these days, lots of employers prefer to make their own mind up.

when it comes to the interview just be yourself, do some research on the business and whoever will be interviewing you if you can. Don't ask about salary as your first question but you can ask about it.

Sell yourself - 'No, I haven't been employed for the last few years but I have been running the family home, I've been organising the budget, paying bills, home educating my child which has meant improving my computer and research skills and developing new skills in numeracy...etc' - do you see what I mean? Being out of a structured work place is not a disadvantage - you have balanced so many things and learnt lots of new stuff.

Above all good luck!
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

RedGlitter;502234 wrote: It has been sadly common in the past to refuse jobs to diabetics but that is changing. Don't tell them anything. It's not their business. It's not like you're driving a schoolbus full of kids and might lapse into a coma. Don't tell them about the cancer. That would go against you more than diabetes. Let me rephrase this stuff: When I say don't, I really mean "this is what I would do," not telling you what you should do.

Get the job first, show them what you can do in the short time you have before the op, and then tell them. You could always try being more up front with them but that's just a different choice. I would get in the door first if it were me.

They should hire you because as a child caretaker you have shown immense responsibilty and organizational/management/people skills (dealing with both kids and their adult parents) and have a lot of patience and can handle tense situations. This makes you a shoo-in for an office job, don't you think?

You have good phone skills. (Make sure you do if you say this. Tip: always smile when talking on phone as it comes through your voice)

Wher will you be in five years? This question I loathe. I'll let someone else have that one.

Why employ YOU? This you can best answer yourself. You know yoruself. What is something, some extra spark that you can offer that others may not? Ask some people who know you for their answers.

Bad Points: "I tend to immerse myself in my work and bring it home with me." Maybe something like that. Try to turn a negative into a positive. "I tend to get so involved in my work that I don't often have time to assist my coworkers in theirs." Something like that. Those are crappy examples and I'm sorry. Don't put yourself down though! Never say anything like "My desk is often sloppy" or "I sometimes sleep too late."

Any questions to ask us: Turn it around so you don't look desperate. I have done this and it floors them sometimes. Ask "what can your company offer me as an employee? Why would I want to work for your company?" First though, ask them something nice about their company: "I understand your company has been in business for X years. What is the main force behind its longevity? I have heard many good things about (name of company) and that it's a good place to work. I like to work for an employer and company that earns respect. I appreciate that. Why do you feel clients choose this company to do their business with?"

Something like that. Always put yourself in a positive light. Keep your head up and when you meet, when you leave and sometime during the conversation, SMILE. That is the first thing they will notice about you. I'm not sure how women shaking hands goes in yoru country but here I always offer my hand to the interviewer and I shake firmly. That is something I personally respect so I do that myself.

Always thank the interviewer for their time and tell them you look forward to hearing from them.

GOOD LUCK RAPUNZEL!

PS: I know about rent too but Rapunzel please don't put off your operation. Please.

Thanks Red sweetie, for your detailed answer. :)

I think you're right, get the job first, tell them later. I have to see my oncologist tomorrow for a pre-op check-up so I can ask her about delaying the op for a while if necessary.

I do have good phone skills and am always polite. I like the idea about being a "shoo-in", I'm feeling very nervous as the time for the interviews gets closer. :o

I know you have to say positive things for 'bad points'. You and Chonsi have both given great examples. Thankyou both! It seems mad that you can't tell the truth at an interview but have to make yourself out to be superwoman. :rolleyes:

Asking them questions is an excellent idea! Thanks! I'll do that!

Being positive, shaking hands and thanking them for their time are all excellent ideas! Thankyou! :)
Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Erinna1112;502253 wrote: "Why should we hire you?" (or "what will you bring to our company?" Same basic question)

Be specific. Everyone says they're hardworking, motivated, and a "people person." This is your chance to toot your own horn - DO IT! Don't be modest here. Take the opportunity to lay out your strengths, talents, skills, and things you're enthusiastic about. Your childcare experience has made you flexible, adaptive, and responsive to changes in your environment. Say so. Don't use generic, cliched answers.

"What is one of your weak points?"

The key here is to be honest, but demonstrate how you turned it into a strength. If you've been disorganized in the past, tell how you took steps to make it better. This shows that you recognize you're not perfect, are self-aware enough to realize what exactly needs improvement, and have the initiative to correct it.

"Where do you see yourself in five years' time?"

Keep your ambitions to be a racehorse trainer or CEO of your own consulting firm to yourself. The interviewer is looking for some commitment to the company, a decent amount of ambition to move up within it, but not Alexander the Great.

"Do you have any questions?"

Never, NEVER, NEVER say no to this question. Research the company at which you are interviewing, and come up with some questions based upon that research. Other good questions would be, "What's a typical day for someone in this job?" "Why are you hiring for this position?" (lets you know if the company is growing - which you should know from your research - or if the previous person left, why they did so) But you should always, every time, have questions specific to the company where you are interviewing. Two or three are enough; it's not an interrogation.

A few tips from someone who's been on both sides of the interview desk:

No matter what you've seen other people in the office wear, WEAR A SUIT. It is much, much better to dress too conservatively than not.

Lay off the perfume and heavy makeup.

Have extra copies of your resume, and something in which to keep them tidy - a leather portfolio is best, but a paper folder is much better than nothing at all.

Arrive ten to fifteen minutes early. Any earlier, and you look desperate, which (as you noted) isn't good. Arriving late, however, will probably cost you the job.

Greet the receptionist politely. This is your first impression, and if your interviewer doesn't ask the receptionist about you, I'd be surprised.

When you meet the person you'll be speaking with, stand up if you're sitting, make eye contact, and shake hands firmly. Don't squeeze, and don't make "fingertip" contact. But also, don't do what my dad does and wind up like a major league pitcher. He (seriously) starts a handshake with his hand back behind his right hip, thrusts his hand forward like he's trying to open a sticky door, and makes a hard enough contact to make a slapping sound. I've seen people wince, shaking hands with him. Don't do it that way ;)

When asked a question that has more than just a simple yes-or-no answer, pause for just a second. If you jump right in with the answer, you sound rehearsed and insincere; a slight pause will make you sound sincere. Also, don't rehash information that's included on your resume.

Don't feel the need to fill in silences. Some interviewers use this as a tool. Answer the question, briefly but completely, and be still. Don't let the other person's silence make you fidgety, or - worse - come across with too much information. After a few seconds, ask "Is there anything more I can clarify for you on that point?" And then stop talking again. Asking them a question forces the ball back into their court.

Never, ever ask about salary at the first interview!! Don't do it. You look like you're just in it for the money. They know you want to get paid. They plan to pay you. Salary negotiation happens after you get the offer, NEVER before.

Hope this helps - and good luck!!

Wow Erinna! This is also really good advice. Thankyou.

The only question I have is about wearing a SUIT!

Yikes! I don't own one! I tend to wear long 'goth' style skirts and tee shirts.

I was going to wear a long (ankle-length) dark green skirt and a black tee-shirt top with a diamante bow on it. Then I drape a black shawl over my shoulders. It looks nice. It's smart-casual. Will it be too casual do you think?

I don't wear make up but was going to wear a little bit for the interview.

Also, can I write some notes on a piece of paper or does that look too rehersed?

Sorry to be so panicky about this. I'm sure I'd be okay once i got the job - it's just getting it! :o

Thanks for your help everyone - it's VERY much appreciated! :)
Bez

Advice needed.

Post by Bez »

Rap....I do a lot of work with Human Resources. This includes studying peoples CVs, interviewing and then selecting.

First of all I think you should talk to someone about your rent/expenses situation. Even if you get a job, it's unlikely that you would get sick pay for the first year of employment.... go to your local benefits office.

Secondly, I think honesty is the best policy regarding your diabetes.

Not sure about your hospital appointment...you could maybe keep that close to your chest for the time being...but you absolutely MUST go.... all the jobs in the world are meaningless if you end up seriously ill.

Have you written a CV ? Even though you haven't had a full time job your other experiences 'of life' ...looking after kids, and your experienece with the school and nannying mean you have had to use certain skills...patience, tolerance, fairness, coaching skills, committment and hard work etc.

Write down all your experiences, strengths and abilities...focus on what you're good at.

Find out as much about the company as possible so that you are knowledgeable about it.

Don't know wether this link might be helpful http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/Job ... chk=/QiXqF

Questions to ask....

Hours of work

Method of payment and frequency (most firms pay straight into bank accounts nowadays)

Is there a pension Scheme

Sick pay

Holidays

when can I start ?

Good luck love :-6

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
BabyRider

Advice needed.

Post by BabyRider »

Red, a couple things. First off pay close attention to Erinna1112. She's my sister and knows what the hell she's talking about.

Second, I don't believe that your medical history even needs to be mentioned. Diabetes isn't like having epiliepsy or something.

Third, have you ever considered bartending? Talk about a fun, well-paying job! No experience? No matter. I got my first gig by lying my ass off and faking it.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Imladris;502267 wrote: I'm afraid I disagree with the others - you do need to disclose you medical conditions especially if you are asked to do so on an application form. If you are offered the job and then tell them about it you may find the job withdrawn and have to explain why at the next interview,

Diabetes should not prove a problem provided you are looking after yourself and it can be downplayed in conversation.

As for the possibility of a hysterectomy - you must tell a potential employer about this, you will need six weeks off work (not to be spent in bed - had one myself can tell you about it another time if you want) and you will probably be still tired after that and will have to take care with lifting etc (you won't be able to drive either for 6 weeksish)

I've been an employer and done interviews - we always appreciate honesty and if the candidate is the best for the job we will make allowances for pending medical treatment.

Don't worry about exam certificates, most employers only want to see them from youngsters just out of school or college. References are not seen as vital these days, lots of employers prefer to make their own mind up.

when it comes to the interview just be yourself, do some research on the business and whoever will be interviewing you if you can. Don't ask about salary as your first question but you can ask about it.

Sell yourself - 'No, I haven't been employed for the last few years but I have been running the family home, I've been organising the budget, paying bills, home educating my child which has meant improving my computer and research skills and developing new skills in numeracy...etc' - do you see what I mean? Being out of a structured work place is not a disadvantage - you have balanced so many things and learnt lots of new stuff.

Above all good luck!

Thanks for your advice Imladris. I don't know what to do now. :confused:

The diabetes was only diagnosed a year or so ago and has no obvious symptoms or effects as yet. The hysterectomy is not a definite - it depends on the results of the op on 17th January. So if it does happen I'm guessing it would be about 6 months away. Would I have to tell them if its not a definite yet?

Its difficult. I want them to see a positive person who's willing and capable. Not someone who may be a sickie and need lots of time off. I'd love some more advice on this and on the interview clothes please guys?

Also, just to be totally awkward, I think I prefer the job on the 10th to the one on the 5th. What if they offer me the job after the 5th? Do I go to the interview on the 10th? Do I ask for time to think, even though I said on my application that I was available immediately? I don't want them to think I'm not interested.

Also, the pay scale was £4,000 different between the top and bottom of the scale. Is it possible to ask to be put higher up the scale as I'm older and have some experience, or do you automatically get put at the bottom of the scale and work your way up by annual increments?

Thanks for your answers everyone. :)
Imladris

Advice needed.

Post by Imladris »

Right then - mention your appointment on the 17th but don't go into specifics - wait and see what happens.

You could always tell a little white lie about the 2nd interview and have a previous committment and go to that interview.

You will be unlikely to get put near the top end of the pay scale unless you can persuade them that you really deserve it but once you've got the job you're in a good position to negotiate.

Clothes sadly are quite important, I would advise against the diamante trim top and shawl unless they are subtle and smart. Remember office people are often quite conservative (you can relax a bit when you've got the job!) The main thing is to look smart and clean, don't worry about make up if it's not your thing. I have always looked at people's shoes - clean is essential and no too way out (have had work experience kids turn up in trainers and expected to be allowed to go on funerals!)

If you don't get either of these jobs then don't be put off, you will have had practice at interviews and been able to brush up your skills.

Good luck for the 17th too.

Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Bez;502297 wrote: Rap....I do a lot of work with Human Resources. This includes studying peoples CVs, interviewing and then selecting.

First of all I think you should talk to someone about your rent/expenses situation. Even if you get a job, it's unlikely that you would get sick pay for the first year of employment.... go to your local benefits office.

Secondly, I think honesty is the best policy regarding your diabetes.

Not sure about your hospital appointment...you could maybe keep that close to your chest for the time being...but you absolutely MUST go.... all the jobs in the world are meaningless if you end up seriously ill.

Have you written a CV ? Even though you haven't had a full time job your other experiences 'of life' ...looking after kids, and your experienece with the school and nannying mean you have had to use certain skills...patience, tolerance, fairness, coaching skills, committment and hard work etc.

Write down all your experiences, strengths and abilities...focus on what you're good at.

Find out as much about the company as possible so that you are knowledgeable about it.

Don't know wether this link might be helpful http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/Job ... chk=/QiXqF

Questions to ask....

Hours of work

Method of payment and frequency (most firms pay straight into bank accounts nowadays)

Is there a pension Scheme

Sick pay

Holidays

when can I start ?

Good luck love :-6

Thanks Bez. All this good advice is just SO incredibly helpful.

Thankyou all so very much! :)

I filled in an online CV Bez, because that was the only CV (resume) they would take. Luckily there was a job description with one of the jobs and I commented on what skills I had and how relevant they were to the job. I totally screwed up the other application (which I did first) and was surprised to get an interview for it, to be honest!

I haven't written out a proper CV, do you think I should? I liked the idea above of taking a CV into the interview. Which brings me to - how long should a CV be and what should it contain? Do you put hobbies on? Nationality? Parents? A detailed description of previous jobs or a brief line? Which do you think looks best?

The 'company' is actually local government in both cases. Different jobs, same council. So I know its 20 days holiday and monthly pay into a bank account. Thats okay and not a problem. Also a pension scheme. I'll have a look and see if they mention sickpay online as I don't want to ask about that in an interview. Perhaps I could put some aside each month to cover 6 weeks off, assuming they pay enough to save some.

I'll check out your link, thankyou. :)

And thanks to you and everyone for your good wishes, I really appreciate them. :)
Imladris

Advice needed.

Post by Imladris »

Just had another thought - check out the DSS website re sick pay, you should get Statutory Sick Pay working for the local gov. but if not you may be able to claim something.

Rapunzel

Advice needed.

Post by Rapunzel »

Imladris;502336 wrote: Right then - mention your appointment on the 17th but don't go into specifics - wait and see what happens.

You could always tell a little white lie about the 2nd interview and have a previous committment and go to that interview.

You will be unlikely to get put near the top end of the pay scale unless you can persuade them that you really deserve it but once you've got the job you're in a good position to negotiate.

Clothes sadly are quite important, I would advise against the diamante trim top and shawl unless they are subtle and smart. Remember office people are often quite conservative (you can relax a bit when you've got the job!) The main thing is to look smart and clean, don't worry about make up if it's not your thing. I have always looked at people's shoes - clean is essential and no too way out (have had work experience kids turn up in trainers and expected to be allowed to go on funerals!)

If you don't get either of these jobs then don't be put off, you will have had practice at interviews and been able to brush up your skills.

Good luck for the 17th too.

Thanks again Imladris! :)

This clothes thing is gonna be a problem.:( I don't have 'smart' clothes or a suit! And I can't afford to buy one. :( I could buy one and then take it back afterwards, which I know is extremely naughty but if it's undamaged.... Having said that I'd probably need smart officewear! :o The green skirt is smart, not gothic. I have a cream tee-shirt top which looks like a nice top, not like a tee-shirt. And the shawl is new and smart. Not a jacket but looks quite good imo.

Do you think I should buy a jacket for the interview? I know the council are smart-casual dressers but then do I need to be VERY smart to look as though I'm interested in career progression, which I am? I'm going to wear my hair up as its too long and needs cutting, and it looks smarter worn up.

Oh God, I'm going to worry about this now.

More advice please - and be truthful not polite!

If casual really sucks please say so. Thanks!
Imladris

Advice needed.

Post by Imladris »

Don't get too stressed about clothes being clean is most important.

Can you borrow something, or what about charity shops? A suit would be a good investment but only if you think you'll get to wear it again otherwise you should be ok in what you said earlier - I'm used to seeing people in suits (funeral trade!) so tend to expect it - not everyone does though!

K.Snyder

Advice needed.

Post by K.Snyder »

Stay true to yourself Rapunzel...

I don't care what anyone says, most people are impressed with integrity more than anything else...integrity is a strong foundation for competence and promptness...

You are very bright and intelligible,..you shouldn't be worried about it,..I'm sure you will succeed in anything you put your mind to...
gmc

Advice needed.

Post by gmc »

Have you been down to the job centre? Some of them give help with interview skills obviously don't know about your area. Also register with as many recruitment agencies that you can. The better ones will be honest to you in regard to your chances and may even give help with interview skills. You do NOT pay them, they get paid by any employer they place you with. temping is a good option if you can't get permenant, many temps end up full time if honest enough.

If they ask you about health be honest, diabetes is hardly a pariah disease and more common than you think-also it is not likely to keep you off work.

Be honest about the appointment, if the job start is before the date or if they ask you if there are any potential health reasons they need to know about. if you are not honest and take time off shortly after starting most employers will fire you without hesitation simply because they will realise you lied to them. Especially a small employer-taking on staff is expensive and time consuming and given the time to train you it is some months before you are worth what you are getting paid. Most employers will have a probation period during which they can terminate without giving a reason. You will get no sympathy at all if you mislead people. I've been in the employers chair at interview time wasters get very short shrift indeed

it's sale time get something that feels right and in which you feel confident-most employers will go by interview and the first two minutes and first impression make all the difference.

Most will also make allowances for your being out the job market and will be looking for someone to turn up on time every day. Anyone that can run a family has considerable organisatonal skills already and is used to planning well ahead and is likely to be dependable- a major plus if weighed against the wee nyaff just out of school or college. Most employers want someone they can take on and that will pick things up quickly-especially small ones without the capacity to spend a lot of time training people.

You are not a supplicant even if you feel like you are, how you feel about yourself comes across. be positive-very trite and it might not work but being negative most definitely does. Each interview is training for the next and each rejection is not personal.

Work out what you want to ask them-it's a two way process why should you want to work for them? Get them talking. If office based what computer system, office suite etc etc. If using tailored packages (sage or whatever) what training is given so you get to know their systems quickly, how long have they had it is it due for replacement are they contemplating going paperless. O.K. I'm flying a kite perhaps but adaptability and the capability to learn quickly are more important than what someone has done in the past someone managing an office even 5 or 6 years ago would see a lot of changes in a modern office-not least the monitors don't take up the whole desk any more.

Practice out loud for the interview, not just in your head, so you don't fumble the words. Find out about the company beforehand if you can.

Have fun!
Erinna1112

Advice needed.

Post by Erinna1112 »

A suit is just about a necessity these days for an interview. I've no idea what UK governmental offices are like; over here, they're nearly as formal as a lawyer's office, which is notorious for being the most formal of office environments.

Do you have consignment, secondhand, or charity donation shops? I found several lovely suits in one near my home for about eight to ten dollars - as a comparison, a good suit will retail new for about $250 and up.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!

Return to “General Chit Chat”