Macy's Pulls Dog Fur Coats

Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Macy’s has pulled from its shelves and its web site two styles of Sean John hooded jackets, originally advertised as featuring faux fur, after an investigation by the nation’s largest animal protection organization concluded that the garments were actually made from a certain species of dog called “raccoon dog.”

A few years ago, the Burlington Coat Factory removed some of it's fur trimmed garments, after tests confirmed they were made with dog fur.

Dogs and cats are frequently used by Chinese manufacturers for their fur garments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16329355/from/ET/
guppy

Post by guppy »

that is just plain gross.....:thinking:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

WO!

Any fur is a no-no but dog and cat fur is particularly heinous!

Thanks for the post, Richard!
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Who changed the label from Dog to Faux Fur.?

We just had that thread where some countries eat dog, they're farmed like our cows - soon our meat will all be cloned - so the fur is readily available for trim & everything.

Who is on fur patrol - This offends some - What I'm getting from this is when did Puff Daddy know he was having dog.

Patsy
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

RedGlitter;498568 wrote: WO!

Any fur is a no-no

I feel the same way, and it really bugs me to see all these cheap Chinese jackets with fur trim.

They seem to be very popular with today's youth, both male and female. They're sold in mall stores that caters to the under thirty market. I guess they are trendy, because of the likes of "Puffy" (or whatever he calls himself) who market this crap.

I have immense respect for Pink, because she gave her fellow pop stars hell a couple of years ago for wearing fur.

A friend of mine dearly loves her pair of Shih-Tzus, yet she struts around town in fur. The irony is lost on her.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Patsy Warnick;498569 wrote: Who changed the label from Dog to Faux Fur.?

Unfortunately, a lot of Chinese industry simply make their own rules, or don't bother observing any rules or standards whatsoever.

Last week, there was a news item about a Chinese pharmaceutical company manufacturing a completely bogus birth control pill. A Chinese made electrical extension cord was pulled off the market in Canada last year, because it was prone to bursting into flames, just by plugging it in, with nothing connected to the cord. It bore false Underwriters' Laboratories and Canadian Standards Association approval marks. The "faux fur" lie is yet another example of the lawless nature of some of their manufacturers.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Richard Bell;498573 wrote: Unfortunately, a lot of Chinese industry simply make their own rules, or don't bother observing any rules or standards whatsoever.

Last week, there was a news item about a Chinese pharmaceutical company manufacturing a completely bogus birth control pill. A Chinese made electrical extension cord was pulled off the market in Canada last year, because it was prone to bursting into flames, just by plugging it in, with nothing connected to the cord. It bore false Underwriters' Laboratories and Canadian Standards Association approval marks. The "faux fur" lie is yet another example of the lawless nature of some of their manufacturers.

WOW!! That's crazy!! :mad:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I have no problem with fur, as long as the carcass is put to use and not just thrown away. Also, the animals should be farm-raised or culled due to over-population. Killing simply for vanity is definitely a no-no.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that is sad. :(

I wouldn't want to wear fur.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

There is nothing wrong with synthetic fur.

You can't have fuzzy slippers to lounge around in, if it isn't sythetic!:)
rachelg

Post by rachelg »

I think synthetic fur is superior to animal fur for clothing anyway. It doesn't shed and can now be made in any color or texture. Why do we still have real fur coats:(

I had no idea Chinese clothing could be real fur. I see all kinds of blazers on ebay that have supposedly faux fur trim. I will definately not be bidding on any of those.:mad:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Lord Dog and Cat fur for coats what a we coming to. :( I don't like the way real fur feels or smells I also prefer man made fur.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I hope no one who is griping about this wears leather.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

BabyRider;498822 wrote: I hope no one who is griping about this wears leather.
Or eating a Hotdog
rachelg

Post by rachelg »

BabyRider;498822 wrote: I hope no one who is griping about this wears leather.
Don't tell me leather is made out of dogs too:( I do wear leather and I love it. I have tried many synthetic leathers and they were not near as good as real leather. It doesn't breathe - makes my feet stink:o . But, leather (unless there is something I don't know) is usually made of cows, and cows are used as food, unlike mink, seals, dogs in China and so on. In my mind, when the animal is used for food, it is ok to also use their hide for clothing.:)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

A reminder from Trixie:
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

rachelg;498837 wrote: Don't tell me leather is made out of dogs too:( I do wear leather and I love it. I have tried many synthetic leathers and they were not near as good as real leather. It doesn't breathe - makes my feet stink:o . But, leather (unless there is something I don't know) is usually made of cows, and cows are used as food, unlike mink, seals, dogs in China and so on. In my mind, when the animal is used for food, it is ok to also use their hide for clothing.:)
Not all cows who end up on our backs have been eaten. It's a pretty idea, but unrealistic.

Don't think that I believe wearing dog is a good idea, please. The things I have seen done to dogs are heinous. I'm just making a point. People want to get all up in arms about dogs, when some of the exact same crap is being done to other animals, not to mention that common ignorance of abuse is prevelant. Of more than just dogs.

Frankly, I hope this POS is put out of business. Then I hope I run into him.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

My mom had a fur coat. She wanted me to have it after she passed on..but I never took it. I just plain don't like the feel of it on me..too heavy and bulky. My sis in law gave me a jacket with fake fur collar and cuffs. It is hanging in my closet as I don't like wearing it.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I remember my grandmother having a fox stole back in the 50s, ugh, their little heads were there with beady eyes. It used to scare me so.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

chonsigirl;498878 wrote: I remember my grandmother having a fox stole back in the 50s, ugh, their little heads were there with beady eyes. It used to scare me so.

Oh gawd..I forgot about those. One of my aunts had one.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

My grandmother had furs too. A fox stole, a mink stole. She gave me the fox one for dress-up and my mom threw it out. As a teenager she gave me some things of hers she wanted me to have including a pair of ermine tails that could be pinned to something I guess and a beautiful mink corsage. I still have them because they're hers but I've never worn such things. It's not beautiful if it's not on the animal. Even if they were already dead and you found them, bury them with what is theirs. Don't cut off their tails and feet and pull out their teeth and claws for souvenirs. I can't tell y ou how many rabbits' feet that mys chool sold for cash raising. I even bought one. I didn't cotton to or even think about animals' rights until I was about 22. Now people call me "radical" like that's a bad thing. I pay them no mind.

I won't even wear fake fur for fear someone would think it was real and mistake me for a heartless jackass.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

The days of NEEDING fur for warmth are, of course, long gone. Unfortunately, it got to be a status symbol and that gave rise to the fur industry. Horrible! With luck and education, it'll fade out in the next generation or two. Whenever I see some "trendy" person in fur, I want to throttle her.

BabyRider, I'll go out of my way to NOT wear leather, as I suspect many caring people do.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I have a fur stole I like to wear to keep my neck warm, but she usually gets restless after a few minutes and goes somewhere else to play.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

You STOLE her, then?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lulu2;499194 wrote: You STOLE her, then?
I hat to. She was too small for my head, and she didn't seem the type to be a glove. ;)
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Or a muff?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lulu2;499230 wrote: Or a muff?
Too close to euphamism-land for me. :o
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

HAH! I just KNEW you'd duck that one!:wah:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lulu2;499308 wrote: HAH! I just KNEW you'd duck that one!:wah:
Ducks! Now there's a fine animal to talk about. :yh_whistl
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Or...how about CHICKEN?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Lulu2;499313 wrote: Or...how about CHICKEN?
A much-maligned clothing choice, imo. :yh_glasse
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I dunno...feathers evolved to provide warmth....
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I'm trying to drive him QUACKERS.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Pinky;499341 wrote: Sounds like a goose chase to me.
Don't be down on it unless you've tried it. :D
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

EGGzactly!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Pinky;499352 wrote: I'm just yolking, don't you know!:wah:
Isn't it nice how we feathered this into a dog fur subject?
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Where there's a quill, there's a way.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

You just revel in typing the "S" word, don't you?
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I can't condone the dog comment. I know too many jerks who would do that.
Raven

Post by Raven »

The fact remains we have been poor caretakers of our furry friends. Why buy anything from China anyway? Why buy into the seal fur market on the grounds of economics? It just doesnt get that cold ANYWHERE in the world! But we dont have to worry about it much longer anyway. Global warming will take care of the illicit fur market for us soon enough. How many species do we have to lose? Dolphins, tigers, and now polar bears. Are we really ready to consign all these beautiful animals to the history books? HOW MANY!!!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Raven, at the zoo where I work (and at all zoos, everywhere, I hope) we ask these questions of ourselves and our patrons every day. With increased understanding of the climactic changes we're only beginning to see comes the reminder that we're NOT alone on the planet.

I have hope and faith for and in the next generation. Ignorant fools like Bush & his cronies have allowed damage to huge areas of wilderness...but it's not too late. A new generation is learning that we NEED polar bears and penguins and red-legged frogs...if only because each contributes in its own way to the overall health of our world.

OF COURSE the Chinese eat dog...have done so for thousands of years...as did people in the Western hemisphere. Millions of people eat pork, to the chagrin of Jews and Muslims. Can you buy pork chops in Bagdhad? I doubt it. It'd make me happy to see dog fur disallowed here.
rachelg

Post by rachelg »

I was curious about what exactly a raccoon dog was. I found this picture. Looks like a cross between a dog and a raccoon but belongs to the dog family.

Attached files
Raven

Post by Raven »

It's not just Bush and his cronies. He is just the most convienient to blame because of his oil connections. Every single country has a dirty hand in the oil pot. But I am afraid I hold a very cynical view today. Maybe my optimism will return tomorrow.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

I never meant to imply it's ONLY Bush...however, his policies have impacted not only this hemisphere but the rest of the world as well.

And it's not just oil. It takes 10,000 pounds of feed to raise 1,000 pounds of beef. Hundreds of thousands of acres of rain forest are destroyed to plant a year or two of feed for animals. Meanwhile, cattle foul the air with methane.

Wouldn't it make more sense to eat what we grow directly, rather than via an animal? :-5

Return to “Current Events”