iguana

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

Hope some of you Animal experts in here can answer this question for me.

Yesterday while My Grandson & I were out on the Golf Course trying out his New Electric "kiddy" Golf Cart, we came across a pond that is about 50 yards form his backyard, where we encountered a 3 foot long iguana on the bank, sunbathing. Should I be worried? Are they dangerous? :-2
Cars :)
LilacDragon

iguana

Post by LilacDragon »

That depends on your grandson. Does he know not to approach strange animals?

They aren't poisonous, so far as I know but those tails can hurt like hoolies and they can use them. They can carry salmonella, but I doubt your grandson will be putting this guy in his mouth.

Tell your grandson to watch from a safe distance and all should be fine.
Sandi

Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

Iguanas don't have venom. ("Poison" is something you eat which makes you sick....like a poisonous frog. "Venom" is something injected into you which makes you sick...like a black-widow spider's bite.)

I agree with Snooze's statement up above--it may well be a lost pet and animal control would be a good place to call. This is a good lesson for your grandchild.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
pantsonfire321@aol.com

iguana

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

I have a pet Iggy . Don't get to close they have a mighty whip and it bloody hurts but apart from that I'd say leave it be . Did it look very thin from what you could see or have any injurys .:)
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

Thanks for your inputs guys. My concern was that it was "only" 50 or so yards away from my Grandson's backyard, and thought it may just wonder in.

No it did not look injured, & no don't know if it looked skinny, don't know how fat they are supposed to look. My guess also was that it was someone's pet, as it was not scared off by us. As we actually got "too" close to it, and it still did not run off. Will call Animal control to see if they can get it & bring it to the wildes, or whatever is best for it!
Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

Thanks, Cars!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Richard Bell

iguana

Post by Richard Bell »

cars;496471 wrote: Yesterday while My Grandson & I were out on the Golf Course trying out his New Electric "kiddy" Golf Cart, we came across a pond that is about 50 yards form his backyard, where we encountered a 3 foot long iguana on the bank, sunbathing. Should I be worried?

Yes! Be afraid. Be very afraid!

What appears to be a pond on a golf course is most likely a portal in the fabric of the space/time continuum.

The electric motor in your grandson's golf cart has generated a frequency that has caused a "tear" in that fabric. What appeared to your modern eyes as an iguana is almost certainly the newly hatched offspring of a terrible dinosaur from 75 million years ago. They are drawn through this newly created wormhole in time, and they are emerging a mere fifty yards from his back yard.

This is only the beginning. Soon, the mother will follow, and then hordes of prehistoric monsters will blanket the Earth with their ferocity.

We're doomed.
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

Richard Bell;496630 wrote: Yes! Be afraid. Be very afraid!

What appears to be a pond on a golf course is most likely a portal in the fabric of the space/time continuum.

The electric motor in your grandson's golf cart has generated a frequency that has caused a "tear" in that fabric. What appeared to your modern eyes as an iguana is almost certainly the newly hatched offspring of a terrible dinosaur from 75 million years ago. They are drawn through this newly created wormhole in time, and they are emerging a mere fifty yards from his back yard.

This is only the beginning. Soon, the mother will follow, and then hordes of prehistoric monsters will blanket the Earth with their ferocity.

We're doomed.

:eek:

We're selling the house today!

iguana

Post by 911 »

Our office has been overrun with tiny pink geckos!

UGH! I'm scared one will run up my leg.

We have seen many and taken quite a few outside. I think they were born inside though.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

911;496647 wrote: Our office has been overrun with tiny pink geckos!

UGH! I'm scared one will run up my leg.

We have seen many and taken quite a few outside. I think they were born inside though.

Yes we are over run with the little suckers here also, hate em! We also have 2 ft high White Stork looking type birds that eat them in one gulp! :wah:
Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

Cars...have you noticed how those little geckos can run up walls and across ceilings?

Do you know how they manage to do that?

(This is soooo very, very cool!) Recent research has shown that THE GECKO'S FEET ACTUALLY EXCHANGE ELECTRONS WITH THE CELLS IN THE WALL! THUS, FOR A FLASH OF A SECOND, THE GECKO BECOMES PART OF THE WALL! It's always been known that the gecko's feet have little suction cups...and this is how they actually work.

So...please....respect the little buggers and know that THEY EAT INSECTS!

LOVE A GECKO!

Love, lulu
Accountable

iguana

Post by Accountable »

Geckos: nature's little insecticide. Imagine the alternative.

Do yours laugh at you? The ones in Okinawa made a noise that sounded like a chuckle.
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

Lulu2;496943 wrote: Cars...have you noticed how those little geckos can run up walls and across ceilings?

Do you know how they manage to do that?

(This is soooo very, very cool!) Recent research has shown that THE GECKO'S FEET ACTUALLY EXCHANGE ELECTRONS WITH THE CELLS IN THE WALL! THUS, FOR A FLASH OF A SECOND, THE GECKO BECOMES PART OF THE WALL! It's always been known that the gecko's feet have little suction cups...and this is how they actually work.

So...please....respect the little buggers and know that THEY EAT INSECTS!

LOVE A GECKO!

Love, lulu

lulu, you put a smile on my face! :) Get used to them yes, love them no. Yes I have seen them sneak into our Villa, & then I go crazy with a "shoe box" trying to catch them between the box & the wall. Then after finally catching it, I slide a piece of printer paper between the wall & the box edge. Thus creating a covered box, then I take it about a block away and release it. Unfortunately, most likely, it still remembers where I live & I probably have to catch the same one over again, & again. :wah:
Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

Cars...when you do that....realize that you're in the presence of pure, evolutionary GENIUS!

LOL...once, in Africa, I stayed in a tiny hut. At night, I heard the most horrible GROANING sound! Scared the hell out of me to realize it came from the toilet!

Daytime revealed a gecko which lived behind the tank! Every time I heard that GROANING, I remembered its source was eating BUGS which might've eaten my BUM!
pantsonfire321@aol.com

iguana

Geckos are lovely creatures my favourits are the Day Gecko and Tokay. Ive had many types, Tokays ,Leopards,Fat- tails, Golden , Turkish ,Moorish, Bibrons and Standings . I even got eggs from a pair of Giant day geckos but they didn't hatch. Ive still got a single Bibron :) ............... I know i'm a freak ;)

Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

You're not a "freak," Pants....you're my kind of person--an animal fan!
lady cop

iguana

Post by lady cop »

i see those large iguanas often, usually hanging out on fishing docks, and one time walking along the side of overseas hwy. in key largo as big as you please. the problem down here is that 'exotic' species are popular pets, until they get a little too big for comfort. so people release them into the 'wilds' all over florida; the everglades are really in trouble with BIG voracious burmese pythons decimating the native species. there are people working full time to get the pythons out of there before the entire ecology is destroyed. ......so since i know how much you love snakes Cars, be glad you're not further south! :wah:
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

:eek: lady cop;497251 wrote: i see those large iguanas often, usually hanging out on fishing docks, and one time walking along the side of overseas hwy. in key largo as big as you please. the problem down here is that 'exotic' species are popular pets, until they get a little too big for comfort. so people release them into the 'wilds' all over florida; the everglades are really in trouble with BIG voracious burmese pythons decimating the native species. there are people working full time to get the pythons out of there before the entire ecology is destroyed. ......so since i know how much you love snakes Cars, be glad you're not further south! :wah:

SNAKES, SNAKES, did sombody say SNAKES!!! I hate SNAKES, I can't stand them!!!! (I know lulu I gotta love them, but. . .)
WonderWendy3

iguana

Post by WonderWendy3 »

He really blended in with the grass...hard to see him!!
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

Well I finally was able to download a pixie of the little bugger! :wah:

Attached files
pantsonfire321@aol.com

iguana

cars;497419 wrote: Well I finally was able to download a pixie of the little bugger! :wah:

He's just a baby :yh_youkid ;)

cars

iguana

Post by cars »

pantsonfire321@aol.com;497423 wrote: He's just a baby :yh_youkid ;)

The pix really doesn't do him justice, he's about 3ft long from nose to tail! :wah:
WonderWendy3

iguana

Post by WonderWendy3 »

cars;497427 wrote: The pix really doesn't do him justice, he's about 3ft long from nose to tail! :wah:

WOW, he looks small, but of course I can't enlarge pic here at work..look forward to looking at him at home. My Uncle had a pet Iguana years ago...tried to let my kids take it home, Momma couldn't do it! That one got REAL BIG!!
pantsonfire321@aol.com

iguana

WonderWendy3;497429 wrote: WOW, he looks small, but of course I can't enlarge pic here at work..look forward to looking at him at home. My Uncle had a pet Iguana years ago...tried to let my kids take it home, Momma couldn't do it! That one got REAL BIG!!

I've had three over the years two male's and a female (i have a male at the mo) . If you spend time with them they can be great pets , my one knows his name . He loves being stroked and likes to close his eyes while i pick off his shed (dead skin) . As long as you trim the nails and handle them a lot and make sure they have the right vitamins , food and space you shouldn't really have a problem ,,although i do find some females can sense a womans hormones (really , i know it sounds silly ) . When i had a female she prefered men to women .:thinking:

Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

Reptiles live in a world you and I know NOTHING about...and that's the world of pheromones. They have an amazing organ in the roof of the mouth (Jacobson's Organ) which really provides a "sixth sense." It analyzes chemical components released into the air by all manner of life forms and allows them to essentially "taste" the air.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your iguana picked up the pheromones your friends emitted.

(Some scientists believe we retain the remnants of an ancient Jacobson's organ. It's what helps create the "dormitory effect," when fertile women who live or work together often find their menstrual cycles become congruent.)
lady cop

iguana

Post by lady cop »

i thought of you today Cars, a woman in Miami found a 15-foot python in her clothes closet! AAAGGGHHHHHH!
cars

iguana

Post by cars »

lady cop;501180 wrote: i thought of you today Cars, a woman in Miami found a 15-foot python in her clothes closet! AAAGGGHHHHHH!

If that was our house LC we would be moving! :eek:

For thinking maybe that "SNAKE" laid eggs somewhere in the house! :yh_nailbi
JacksDad

iguana

Post by JacksDad »

Lulu2;497511 wrote: Reptiles live in a world you and I know NOTHING about...and that's the world of pheromones. They have an amazing organ in the roof of the mouth (Jacobson's Organ) which really provides a "sixth sense." It analyzes chemical components released into the air by all manner of life forms and allows them to essentially "taste" the air.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your iguana picked up the pheromones your friends emitted.

(Some scientists believe we retain the remnants of an ancient Jacobson's organ. It's what helps create the "dormitory effect," when fertile women who live or work together often find their menstrual cycles become congruent.)

About ten years ago my roomate and I had an iguana but we didn't know whether it was male or female. One Saturday afternoon my quite pretty lady friend came over to visit wearing a beautiful sundress.

The iguana was on the coffee table across from where Jennifer was sitting and they just stared at each other.

Until the iguana launched itself throught he air straight up Jennifer's dress! It was quite a sight to see that petite little girl hit the ceiling!

That's when we decided it was a male and named him Hollywood.:wah:
Lulu2

iguana

Post by Lulu2 »

(I cannot resist this....I've tried and I just can't)

HOOOOOORAYYYY for Hollywood!

Return to “Pet Advice Support”