Phobias?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
retepsnikrep

Phobias?

Post by retepsnikrep »

Television Vertigo.

I don’t like heights. I understand vertigo now. I realise it is not just girly daftness and hereby apologise to all those I have maligned in the past when I did not suffer from it.

I’m afraid I’ve taken vertigo two steps further. Firstly, not only do I not like being at a height over about four feet, I don’t like looking at tall buildings, especially skyscrapers, or bridges. Not in real life, and not even on television. The Empire State Building is over one hundred stories high. Before it was built the Eiffel Tower was the highest thing in the world. I got vertigo, on the spot, looking up at the Eiffel Tower, never mind looking down from it. I was alright about a mile away. My visual vertigo is oddly relative to the proportions of the building. If a building is a mile high, and a mile deep and a mile wide, I wouldn’t worry too much. It is when the height exceeds the width that the trouble starts. The Post Office Tower and the ones in Canada and Moscow are deadly. The worst configuration is when they are wider at the top than the bottom. Their whole purpose seems to be just to afford a narrow passage for stairs or a lift, and a wider falling off platform somewhere near the clouds.

The second phase to which I have refined Vertigo, is to get it when I read about elevated situations, especially mountaineering. The word ‘overhang’ is fatal. Climbing a slope I can understand, going up vertically, I am not happy about, but the idea of hanging on like a fly is too much. Now non-voluptuous but attractive young women clad in little more than a chalk bag, sinew their way up mountains. They should be in the boudoir or boutique, leaving the mountains to goat-like people like Richard Bonnington.

Incidentally, I regard roller coasters as simulated suicide, and Bungee jumping as attempted suicide.

What's your Phobia?

Peter :(
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Phobias?

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Water :(
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
RedGlitter

Phobias?

Post by RedGlitter »

Tapeworms

Big, black ships or any big ships

Deep, black water

Weird, deformed plants

Claustrophobia
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Phobias?

Cockroaches:(

pantsonfire321@aol.com

Phobias?

I don't do heights .:(

pantsonfire321@aol.com

Phobias?

Wendybird;493660 wrote: Horses :(

Beautiful majestic creatures but the scare the bujeezuz outta me since one ran over me when I was 3.

BUT! I am getting over the phobia slowly and by next year I hope to be able to ride one (maybe :thinking: ) So far I can now drive past one without trying to crash the car. Stand next to a field with a horse in it without bursting into tears and I actually fed one an apple earlier this year and although I couldn't stop shaking for hours I survived.

step by step by step.......................

I know how you feel - i'm not scared as such ...just don't like getting to close to them . I once has a boyfriend who was a mounted cop and i used to go to the stables a lot (they were right near my house) but i've never felt all that comfortable around them .

koan

Phobias?

Post by koan »

Fear of heights that I've conquered up to about 20 ft. in the air.

Dromophobia - this one just became apparent since moving to England.
lady cop

Phobias?

Post by lady cop »

irony of ironies....i CANNOT drive over a high bridge without my palms sweating! and i live in the keys which is ALL bridges. most are no problem, but two are scary as hell. i keep a center punch within my reach, many people die down here after driving into canals.
abortretryfail

Phobias?

Post by abortretryfail »

when I was younger I used to have a phobia of vomit. I've gotten over it, but now I have a more refined phobia: nausea. I am afraid of putting myself in situations I know will make myself sick. Which might just be self-preservation, not phobia.
Redpoppy

Phobias?

Post by Redpoppy »

Spiders, Moths and Butterflies ....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Fibonacci

Phobias?

Post by Fibonacci »

Public speaking.

I dont mean talking to a small group of people. I mean me standing at the front of a room filled with people.

I hasnt happened for a while but im always wary of it.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Mystery

Phobias?

Post by Mystery »

Spiders and enclosed spaces.
Wolverine

Phobias?

Post by Wolverine »

heights are fine. ladders SUCK!

and big fuzzy spiders that get within 2 feet of me, before i notice that they're there.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Delilah

Phobias?

Post by Delilah »

Insects. Not really one specifically, there are heaps of them I'd freak out upon seeing. Like ticks, or those little oriental beetle things that are an orangeish version of a ladybug. A few years back the goverments I guess let lose millions of those little buggers to try and kill off the aphids (spelling) that were causing trouble in North America, but than we had big problems with the little ladybugs they let lose on the aphids. The first couple of years it was just awful. You couldn't even go outside without walking to a sea of them everywhere. They'd cover your windows and doors to, and get inside the house and just everywhere...and they weren't nice fellas either..they're not nice ladybugs..they bite people.

Ew...June bugs..hate them too. They're huge and will fly into your arm pitt.

I dont like bugs..:lips:
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Phobias?

I don't often mention this one because it's a bit silly - i'm scared of being sick and i don't like being around others if their going to be sick .:(

Imladris

Phobias?

Post by Imladris »

Daddy-long-legs - to the point of hysteria (shameful really) and I don't like rats but can just about cope if I'm near one. Don't like spiders much but the big buggers in Australia cured me of the worst of my fear of them.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
SuzyB

Phobias?

Post by SuzyB »

Frogs and toads freak me out BIG TIME
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

Imladris;542430 wrote: Daddy-long-legs - to the point of hysteria (shameful really) and I don't like rats but can just about cope if I'm near one. Don't like spiders much but the big buggers in Australia cured me of the worst of my fear of them.

oh really :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

SuzyB;542432 wrote: Frogs and toads freak me out BIG TIME

but she is ok with Spaniards :wah: :wah:
Imladris

Phobias?

Post by Imladris »

jimbo;542441 wrote: oh really :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

Oops:-3

Sweet Tooth

Phobias?

Post by Sweet Tooth »

Frogs/toads, snakes, and tight spaces
Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

Imladris;542445 wrote: Oops:-3

i'm scared of running outa daddy longlegs for the next f g meet up

on to ebay in a minute , to buy book on daddy long leg breeding :sneaky: :sneaky:
Imladris

Phobias?

Post by Imladris »

jimbo;542451 wrote: i'm scared of running outa daddy longlegs for the next f g meet up

on to ebay in a minute , to buy book on daddy long leg breeding :sneaky: :sneaky:

Trust me Jimbo, don't do it - you really don't want to see a paniking Immy running around trying to escape, screaming, with tears and snot running everywhere, small children and animals getting trampled in the rush now do you? Hmmm, do you really?

Delilah

Phobias?

Post by Delilah »

Pinky;542382 wrote: Got to agree with you about Junebugs Delilah. I'm not phobic about them, but they do creep me out! Last summer they were everywhere around here, I took a squash racket out with me just to get in the car! SQUISH!!!

Oh yuck! Thanks for getting rid of some for me though:-6
Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

Imladris;542454 wrote: Trust me Jimbo, don't do it - you really don't want to see a paniking Immy running around trying to escape, screaming, with tears and snot running everywhere, small children and animals getting trampled in the rush now do you? Hmmm, do you really?

just kidding immy as if i would do that:wah: :wah:
SuzyB

Phobias?

Post by SuzyB »

Whats your phobia Jim?:D

Phobias?

Post by 911 »

Steps or stairs with no handrails or bannisters. I've fallen down too many of them to know better. If there are no handrails , I'll grab a strangers arm and then walk down. Three or fours steps are OK, but nothing more than that. I could never be in a beauty pagent (other than the obvious reason!) cuz I have to look down at the steps in order to go down them. Oh yeah, I count them, too!

Wanna know what's weird? On one end of our courthouse there are ten steps to each half flight on the other is only nine! Was it built crooked on purpose? :confused:
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

ok i'm scared of sharks :-3 i came face to face with a 15 foot thresher whilst spear fishing in the channel islands kinda scared me a bit:(
SuzyB

Phobias?

Post by SuzyB »

jimbo;542569 wrote: ok i'm scared of sharks :-3 i came face to face with a 15 foot thresher whilst spear fishing in the channel islands kinda scared me a bit:(

How bout Spiders???? :-3 :-3

Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

SuzyB;542571 wrote: How bout Spiders???? :-3 :-3

i'm not scared of spiders , i dont like picking them up coz i got bitten by two of the eight legged freaks ... oh i think i hear a frog in the kitchen :sneaky: :sneaky:
Carl44

Phobias?

Post by Carl44 »

almostfamous;542582 wrote: THAT just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! oogity oogity :eek:

krikey i bet rattled ya:wah: :wah:
nvalleyvee

Phobias?

Post by nvalleyvee »

I cannot step to the edge of a cliff or take the U.S. famous tram to the top. I just want to faint and hope I do not vomit on the way down to the floor. What a lovely thing for the real tourists....:-5
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Imladris

Phobias?

Post by Imladris »

Oh I just remembered - I don't like heights if I don't feel safe - like cablecars hate them.

And I can't scrape ice from the inside of the freezer or car windscreen - it makes me shudder and feel ill (freak!)

BH672

Phobias?

Post by BH672 »

Watching Monk on t.v.!
blondebimbo

Phobias?

Post by blondebimbo »

Cats.:(
Trouble(for the SA)

Phobias?

Post by Trouble(for the SA) »

I got a pretty bad fear of hieghts ...

and a fear of talking to people...
Rosette

Phobias?

Post by Rosette »

spiders, creepy crawlies, climbing up ladders
crazygal

Phobias?

Post by crazygal »

I have a phobia of idiots. :-5
YZGI

Phobias?

Post by YZGI »

crazygal;555469 wrote: I have a phobia of idiots. :-5
Well then your in the wrong place.:cool:
crazygal

Phobias?

Post by crazygal »

YZGI;555474 wrote: Well then you're in the wrong place.:cool:

Yes looks like I am. :wah:
chell

Phobias?

Post by chell »

Eugh, I have a few :-1

-Fear of satan

-Fear of judgement

-Fear of demonic posession

-Fear of spiders

-Fear of death

-Fear of enclosed spaces

-Fear of clowns

The worst ones, Are my fear of satan, demonic posession & clowns I think.

Return to “The Coffee Shop”