Obesity warning with clothes

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I heard on the radio on my way home from work that the government are considering all womens clothes size 16 & over purchased in shops will be issued with an obesity warning, wtf like uk women size 16 dont know they are fat - course we do, dont really need it rammed down your throat at the checkout tho do you? especially if there's a skinny bird beside you, how demoralising is that pffffffft
Raven

Post by Raven »

You are JOKING! LOL! What next? Foul smell alert with nappies?
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Im not joking Raven, will see if its a headline anywhere on google for a source ;)
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

The suggestion would be to put the label on all clothes with waist sizes over 37 inches for boys or 31 inches for girls. Women's clothes over size 16 would also get a label. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/hea ... etail.html
Raven

Post by Raven »

Voodoo just said he heard it too! :eek: That is just too cruel! How could they????
Raven

Post by Raven »

I suppose the nhs would rather deal with womens eating disorders then! :thinking:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

And what about the big men?? I suppose that's okay for them. :thinking:

This is discriminatory, in poor taste and really uncool.

I don't know what a UK 16 is, but here in the States, that's actually about the size of an average healthy woman, as opposed to the stickgirls we're told to emulate. I think it was said if Marilyn Monroe were alive today she'd wear a 16.

I'm not too impressed with this idea. :thinking: :mad:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

What gets me is a 16 doesent seem that big to me :thinking:

i kinda thought 14/16 was standard uk size :confused:
Raven

Post by Raven »

buttercup;487840 wrote: What gets me is a 16 doesent seem that big to me :thinking:

i kinda thought 14/16 was standard uk size :confused:
Yeah, me too. 12 -16 is a healthy girl. I just dont get it.

RG a 16 here is a US size 12.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

[quote=Raven;487844]Yeah, me too. 12 -16 is a healthy girl. I just dont get it.

RG a 16 here is a US size 12.[/quote]

Jeepers! To me that's slender! They think that's overweight??! That's pure nuts! :-3
cars

Post by cars »

RedGlitter;487839 wrote: And what about the big men?? I suppose that's okay for them. :thinking:

This is discriminatory, in poor taste and really uncool.

I don't know what a UK 16 is, but here in the States, that's actually about the size of an average healthy woman, as opposed to the stickgirls we're told to emulate. I think it was said if Marilyn Monroe were alive today she'd wear a 16.

I'm not too impressed with this idea. :thinking: :mad:
MM was all woman, & what a woman. Today's "stick" thin anorexic Hollywood starlets look sickly, & boney, & like they need a good meal! :wah:
Cars :)
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

So. let me get this straight.

You can't say Merry Christmas because you might offend someone who is not a Christian but you can put a label on someone's clothes to tell them they are fat!?!

I must be missing the logic.
Sandi

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Pinky;487879 wrote: Yeah, but I gotta admit, if I got above size 16, seeing that label on clothes would make me do something about it.

Right after I visited Hamster last, some skanky bitch called me a fat cow in Tesco...I ate one meal of soup a day for a month after that. It shocks you into doing something.

Pinky,I saw photos of you. You were and are most certainly NOT a fat cow. This upsets me that you would hunger yourself over some stupid insensitive jerk's bad manners. :(

A similar thing happened to me years (and pounds) ago. I was about 20 and getting a fountain soda at a Walmart snack bar. Some guy about 50 looked at my tray with two small hot dogs on it said to me "You eat all that, you're gonna get fatter." I said something to him about being rude. Where do people get off remarking to others about their apearance?! Nobody has to take that crap.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Good grief..what next?

I am reminded of when Rick and I went out to eat last week. I was drinking Coke. When I finished the one I had, the server came over (not the one who gave me the first Coke) and said..so, can I get you another DIET Coke?

I said no..but you can get me a REGULAR one.:D
guppy

Post by guppy »

i only drink sugar free drinks. never fails that the server gives my drink to womever i am with.....everytime.........for some reason i do not look like i would drink diet or unsweetened tea......:thinking:
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i don't have an ounce of fat on my body (except my large breasts), but i am 5'11" and weigh about 170 lbs. my cardiologist said in a report i was 'obese' due to BMI numbers....so when i saw him last week i strangled him with his blood pressure cuff and asked him if he wanted me to kick his a$$...he laughed like hell! :D he loves me. :wah: ....big is beautiful ladies!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

When I was growing up, a tv diet commercial had the slogan--"size 10 is where the fun is". Now, a size 10 is considered overweight because most models wear a size less than 3. When did looking like a 12 year old boy in a dress get to be what is considered beautiful? I want to look like a woman. Curves are a lot more attractive that the stick figure fashion wants for us.
Laughter is the shortest distance

between two people. Hugo

And the song, from beginning to end,

I found again in the heart of a friend. Longfellow
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Carolyn;637568 wrote: When I was growing up, a tv diet commercial had the slogan--"size 10 is where the fun is". Now, a size 10 is considered overweight because most models wear a size less than 3.

Women's clothes size is a mystery to me. Why don't they go in proper sizes, or height and a measure of BMI?
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

buttercup;487811 wrote: I heard on the radio on my way home from work that the government are considering all womens clothes size 16 & over purchased in shops will be issued with an obesity warning, wtf like uk women size 16 dont know they are fat - course we do, dont really need it rammed down your throat at the checkout tho do you? especially if there's a skinny bird beside you, how demoralising is that pffffffft

OMG how feckling disgusting! A size 16 I wouldn't consider fat anyway unless you are 4ft tall!
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

crazygal;637597 wrote: A size 16 I wouldn't consider fat anyway unless you are 4ft tall!

That is why a more meaningful measurement such as BMI is useful. It's not perfect, but it's far, far better than "Size NN".

Try this for size(!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_liv ... ndex.shtml

Metric and imperial versions available.

With a BMI of 27, I am in the "overweight" range. I agree with this result.
crazygal

Post by crazygal »

Bill Sikes;637615 wrote: That is why a more meaningful measurement such as BMI is useful. It's not perfect, but it's far, far better than "Size NN".

Try this for size(!):

Good idea that, not just height but build makes a difference. You can tell I'm not slim, lol, but it's true. Some people have health reasons as to why they're overweight too, not all of us eat crisps and chocolate all day do we.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bill Sikes;637615 wrote: That is why a more meaningful measurement such as BMI is useful. It's not perfect, but it's far, far better than "Size NN".

Try this for size(!):

At 25.1 I'm just over a stone (14lb, 6kg) over my ideal weight.

Too damned lazy and enjoy my food too much - must do better.

Return to “Scotland”