Midwest - Letterboxing?

A forum to discuss local issues in ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, IN, OH, MI
rainbowsmiles

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Minnesotans? Has anyone tried letterboxing? I'm curious because we are going to give it a try and there are several locations here in Minnesota and wondered if anyone else in this area had tried it and wanted to see what you found.
Nomad

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by Nomad »

Letterboxing ? What is this strange thing you speak of ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by Nomad »

Oh I looked it up. Sounds interesting. A mini adventure.
I AM AWESOME MAN
rainbowsmiles

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Do you like adventures Nomad?

I'm going to grab the bf by the short hairs and make him go letterbox hunting with me, even if it kills him. He's being all negative because we looked up the clues for the ones hidden in our city and they've all been stolen so he's feeling we'll go on a 2 hour hunt and end up finding nothing. :thinking:
RedGlitter

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by RedGlitter »

Is this letterboxing the same thing as geocaching??
rainbowsmiles

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I read a little bit about geocaching on the letterboxing website and it seems they are similar.

Geocaching is with the GPS (An adventure game for GPS users. Individuals and organizations hide caches in various locations all over the world and share the coordinates of these caches on the internet. With a handheld GPS unit, geocachers seek out the cache, and record their find in the cache's logs. Often, small prize items are included in the cache, which may be exchanged with an item brought by the geocacher.)

With letterboxing you just get the clues for your state and city off the net and then go find the box with the ink and stamp in it.

Geocaching must be popular because apparently you can get geocaching programs for your cell phone now.

Have you done the geocaching thing redglitter?
RedGlitter

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Rainbow :)

I haven't tried geocaching but I think it sounds fun. My friend just tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great. I think the letterboxing sounds more my speed. I checked it out on the web and there is even a letterbox clue in my city. :) (and I'm pretty rural)
Nomad

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by Nomad »

I just read up on this in my area. Sounds kinda cool.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by CARLA »

OK I live in California do they do this "Letterboxing" in the West..:-3 OK I will google it ..:p
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;480210 wrote: OK I live in California do they do this "Letterboxing" in the West..:-3 OK I will google it ..:p

http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxByRegion ... n=Southern California
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by CARLA »

Thanks Nomie I'm checking it out there is a large number in San Diego wonder if I can find them all by Sunday..:D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

rainbowsmiles

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

REDGLITTER,

If you try the geocaching, please let me know. I'm curious as to how it all works out. :)

Its nice because it seems they have letterboxes all over the U.S. so people everywhere can try it. I was a little bummed because I checked the clues for those in my area and even though several were listed, 90% had been stolen. Why would someone take them? :confused: I will look for those that are still here and after I've tried this out then I'll consider planting one of my own.
RedGlitter

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by RedGlitter »

Hey Rainbow, I'll do that if I ever go. I might go with my friend one day, we'll see. The letterboxing clue I looked up for my area had been stolen too. I guess people just have to be morons. :thinking:
rainbowsmiles

Midwest - Letterboxing?

Post by rainbowsmiles »

RedGlitter;481084 wrote: Hey Rainbow, I'll do that if I ever go. I might go with my friend one day, we'll see. The letterboxing clue I looked up for my area had been stolen too. I guess people just have to be morons. :thinking:

Absolutely! I can't see the thrill of having stolen some paper, stamp and pen. But I guess it doesn't take much to excite some people :wah: Its one of those things you know someone did just to be an a** :mad:

I look forward to your adventure news :)

Return to “Mid West”