Dirt Eating Dogs

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by 911 »

OK, anyone have any idea why my dogs eat dirt or red clay?

There is one spot in my yard where they go to get a tasty treat, or so they think.

I used to think it was because I filled in a hole with leaves and sticks and they were eating the decomposing leaves. So, I stopped and they are still doing it. Every time I go to the vet, I intend to ask him but, as always, I forget.

As I was growing up I heard about people, especially pregnant women, who ate red clay. There is actually a guy I work with who still does, he and his whole family.

I've thought that perhaps they were missing some vitamins, but their food should contain the vits they need. They are 10 and 13 years of age and they both do it. The one that is 13 used to could hear the cicada larva in the ground and dig them up and eat them. But, his hearing is bad now and he doesn't do that as often.

I am afraid to fill in the hole with any kind of topsoil that I could buy for fear there might be pesticides or germs in it and they would get sick. I have even taken dirt from other areas of the yard and they dug through that to get to the "good stuff".

Any ideas? :-3
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
DesignerGal

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by DesignerGal »

My dogs do tha with grubs. YUCK! But sorry, I dont know why or how to help.

HBIC
zinkyusa

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by zinkyusa »

Here is some dirt they might like to taste. Where do you suppose the dirt came from?

Attached files
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
abbey

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by abbey »

911;479019 wrote: OK, anyone have any idea why my dogs eat dirt or red clay?

There is one spot in my yard where they go to get a tasty treat, or so they think.

I used to think it was because I filled in a hole with leaves and sticks and they were eating the decomposing leaves. So, I stopped and they are still doing it. Every time I go to the vet, I intend to ask him but, as always, I forget.

As I was growing up I heard about people, especially pregnant women, who ate red clay. There is actually a guy I work with who still does, he and his whole family.

I've thought that perhaps they were missing some vitamins, but their food should contain the vits they need. They are 10 and 13 years of age and they both do it. The one that is 13 used to could hear the cicada larva in the ground and dig them up and eat them. But, his hearing is bad now and he doesn't do that as often.

I am afraid to fill in the hole with any kind of topsoil that I could buy for fear there might be pesticides or germs in it and they would get sick. I have even taken dirt from other areas of the yard and they dug through that to get to the "good stuff".

Any ideas? :-3
Could it be possible that another animal is peeing or poo'ing on the spot where they are eating the dirt?
koan

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by koan »

abbey;479039 wrote: Could it be possible that another animal is peeing or poo'ing on the spot where they are eating the dirt?

Glad you said it first, abbey :o
zinkyusa

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by zinkyusa »

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
valerie

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by valerie »

It might be they are lacking something (pica) but I think it's more likely

due to boredom, and that's just a convenient spot for them to get at.

Do you know how much they are consuming?

They should be getting everything from their diet, you're right, if

you are feeding good quality kibble and not Ol' Roy or something.

At their ages, a good senior formula.

There is a quick fix, put some of their poop (each dog) in the hole

and cover it back up. This is only if they've never been poop eaters.

You might try sprinkling hot sauce or black pepper over the area, but

be aware some dogs grow to like this, too.

I'd look to their diet as the culprit. If I were you, I'd start getting them

each a teaspoon of "probiotics" in their meals, maybe up to a

tablespoon each a day, if they tolerate it. (And my almost 14 year

old tolerates it well). They should be getting 2 meals a day now, if

they are only getting one, split the amount in half and feed them

morning and evening.

Oh, and probiotics just means active culture yogurt, plain, nothing

fancy, will help them build good intestinal bacteria.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lulu2

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by Lulu2 »

Val's right...I'm assuming your dogs are current on their exams. I'd mention it to the vet. Pica can be a sign of anything from boredom to a serious condition.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
rachelg

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by rachelg »

My dogs just LOVE cat poop. Are you sure a cat hasn't buried some poop where they are eating?:)
valerie

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by valerie »

rachelg;479219 wrote: My dogs just LOVE cat poop. Are you sure a cat hasn't buried some poop where they are eating?:)

:yh_giggle

Now THERE'S an idea!!

(Can't hardly think of a dog that doesn't love it!!)

EEEW.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

guppy

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by guppy »

zinkyusa;479034 wrote: Here is some dirt they might like to taste. Where do you suppose the dirt came from?

ooooh, bad thought there...........:eek:

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by 911 »

Thanks for all the advise. I'll just have to speak to the doc.

No foreign peeing or pooing going on, dogs or cats. They don't even do it there. And they get real ticked off when the hole fills up with rain water

They get treats in the am to take their meds with and they get one can of Alpo or Pedigree with dried food, usually Pedigree or Kibble and bits at night. And, yes, I'm ashamed to say a little people food. Don't say it. . . . just let it go. :) The oldest got mad at me cause I didn't eat supper last night and he barked and barked at me. He chewed me out good for not having a human snack for him. :wah:

They get so consumed with the delitable treat that I actually have to go to them and pull on their collar to get their attention to come in the house. But it's not like they are eating mouth after mouthfuls of the stuff.

Thanks for all your advise and I'll ask the vet

Kisses :-4
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
CARLA

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by CARLA »

From my experience with dogs they will attempt to eat just about anything if they can. The only animal that eats more is a goat. :wah:

I had a dog once that just loved eating my checkbook, go figure must have been the ink or paper who knows, got expensive after a bit. :-5

I could be a vitamin they are lacking something in their diet, or are just plain bored and doing what dogs do over and over again, eat dirt and dig holes.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by 911 »

Yeah, they remind me of men.

Scratching and burping over and over again. And even they pitch a hissey when you tell them you're taking them to the doctor to see what all that scratching is about.

:D

Mae West
valerie

Dirt Eating Dogs

Post by valerie »

911;481687 wrote: Yeah, they remind me of men.

Scratching and burping over and over again. And even they pitch a hissey when you tell them you're taking them to the doctor to see what all that scratching is about.

:D

:yh_rotfl
Tamsen's Dogster Page

Return to “Pet Advice Support”