Massive Lebanon Protest

Talk about the debates as they progress and after they conclude.
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

Protesters demand Lebanese PM resigns

By Sam F Ghattas, Beirut, Lebanon

HUNDREDS of thousands of protesters from Hezbollah and its pro-Syrian allies massed in downtown Beirut yesterday seeking to force the resignation of Western-backed Prime Minister Fuad Saniora.

The protest, which police estimated at 800,000, created a sea of Lebanese flags that blanketed downtown Beirut and spilled onto the surrounding streets. Hezbollah put the number at one million — a quarter of Lebanon’s population.

“Saniora out. We want a free government,” protesters shouted. “We want a clean government,” read one placard, in what has become the opposition motto.

The article says that, apparently, someone tried to count heads at the rally to see who drew more support, the protest against assassination of anti-Syrian politician or the protest against the pro-Western Prime Minister.

A demonstration last week for a slain anti-Syrian politician also drew hundreds of thousands downtown, filling Martyr’s Square. But yesterday’s appeared larger.

I've never heard of a poll being conducted in such a manner.
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

This is actually a legitimate political action through peaceful means.

What I find interesting is the use of "threatened" and such words that make protests sound like almost like a terror tactic. It makes me whether people are analysing the actual events as much as they are analysing who is behind them. So launching rockets and organising demonstrations are being lumped together into the category of "threatening"? Perhaps "open-ended" protests are a different beast than normal protests.

Toronto Star

Launching a long-threatened campaign to force Lebanon's U.S.-backed government from office, Hezbollah and its pro-Syrian allies said the demonstration would be followed by a wave of open-ended protests. Hezbollah had threatened demonstrations unless it and its allies obtained a veto share of the cabinet — a demand Saniora and Lebanon's anti-Syrian parties rejected. The protests now aim to generate enough popular pressure to paralyze the Saniora government and force it out.
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

Canada.com

"This government is a puppet. Saniora's Cabinet takes its orders from (President George W.) Bush and has lunch with (Secretary of State) Condoleezza Rice while its own people are being killed," said Hussein Shuqair, a 20-year-old student.

why would they think that?

Many in Lebanon, particularly Hezbollah supporters, were angered by TV footage of Lebanese government officials having lunch with Rice at the U.S. Embassy during Israel's 34-day bombing blitz in Lebanon. The U.S. was seen as encouraging the attempt to destroy Hezbollah's military capability.

oh.

what does the Lebanon Prime Minister have to say about it?

"This government will continue as long as it enjoys the support and backing of the constitutional institutions in the country, most importantly Parliament," said Saniora, who received support from European leaders.

hey, wait.

I thought democracy was the good thing. Doesn't that mean that the voices of the people are more important? Perhaps this is some new kind of democracy I've not heard of yet.
guppy

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by guppy »

is this protest for the good or bad koan?
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

guppy;474931 wrote: is this protest for the good or bad koan?

however it goes I think it is important to watch.

imo, it's always good when people come out and peacefully voice their opinions.

it is also my opinion when anyone decides to stop the protest they will plant people in the crowd that become violent so that it will be condemned. call me suspicious.
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

I do find the use of the word "coup" to describe the protests a little off.

I see it as more of a "revolution" in that is it based on a popular movement in the area.
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Thousands of people descended on central Beirut on Sunday ahead of a mass rally called by the Hezbollah-led opposition to escalate their drive to oust Lebanon's Western-backed government.

Opposition supporters have been camping out in central Beirut since December 1, paralyzing the heart of the capital and vowing not to budge until Prime Minister Fouad Siniora bows to their demands for a government of national unity.

"We want a clean government," banners outside Siniora's offices in downtown Beirut read.

Still going strong.

Commentators have warned that the worsening stand-off could degenerate into wide-scale violence in a country that is still trying to rebuild...

but no violence yet, and I think that's outstanding. :yh_clap

source
danieeeel

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by danieeeel »

I don't understand the Lebanon citizens.

Instead of rehabilitate thier country, establish thier economy , build roads, bridges, squares, to do from Lebanon a great country that tourists will want to come and visit.. instead of all that they protest to Hizbullah to take control.

I know there are modern people in Lebanon who studied in the university and having a promising job. so why?! what are they plan to accomplish by that?!

isn't the last war was enough?

live your life in pleasure, Lebanon! don't ruin your country!
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

danieeeel;481895 wrote: I don't understand the Lebanon citizens.

Instead of rehabilitate thier country, establish thier economy , build roads, bridges, squares, to do from Lebanon a great country that tourists will want to come and visit.. instead of all that they protest to Hizbullah to take control.

I know there are modern people in Lebanon who studied in the university and having a promising job. so why?! what are they plan to accomplish by that?!

isn't the last war was enough?

live your life in pleasure, Lebanon! don't ruin your country!

but you just said in another thread that no one should tell Israel how to run their country.

why should Lebanon be any different? :confused:
danieeeel

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by danieeeel »

koan;481901 wrote: but you just said in another thread that no one should tell Israel how to run their country.

why should Lebanon be any different? :confused:

Haha, well I'm not telling them what to do. it was just a suggesting. for the kids favor. kids are the future :yh_sungla
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

danieeeel;481947 wrote: Haha, well I'm not telling them what to do. it was just a suggesting. for the kids favor. kids are the future :yh_sungla

Yeah, well, if Israel had the kids in mind there might not be so much rebuilding to do. Or so many cluster bombs to pick up. :(
danieeeel

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by danieeeel »

koan;481951 wrote: Yeah, well, if Israel had the kids in mind there might not be so much rebuilding to do. Or so many cluster bombs to pick up. :(

Yeah, well, this is not relevant to this thread so we leave it. I'm looking on the future, not on the past. what do you think? it's smart to overthrew the Seniora government?
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

It is the relevant thread but, as to your question, I think it is important that the will of the people is heard and listened to. If they have a government forced on them either out of fear or external political maneuvering then they will continue to be an unhappy population.

If the majority of Lebanon decides they want Hezbollah then it is Hezbollah that must represent them.
danieeeel

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by danieeeel »

koan;481968 wrote: It is the relevant thread but, as to your question, I think it is important that the will of the people is heard and listened to. If they have a government forced on them either out of fear or external political maneuvering then they will continue to be an unhappy population.

If the majority of Lebanon decides they want Hezbollah then it is Hezbollah that must represent them.

True. let the citizens to decide.

I can tell you about the anxieties in the Israeli side,

since the last war, there is silent in the north (of Israel) and we want that to

last for a long time! but.. since the protests in Lebanon and since Syria is gearing up for confrontation, unfortunately, I have no doupt that this silent is only temporary.
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

For every man, woman and child Israel kills there are dozens of fighters created. I thought that had been learned already.

If killing them in droves hasn't worked already, it's not going to work unless you kill them all. And that can't be what Israel has in mind. It would be insanity.
danieeeel

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by danieeeel »

koan;482011 wrote: For every man, woman and child Israel kills there are dozens of fighters created. I thought that had been learned already.

If killing them in droves hasn't worked already, it's not going to work unless you kill them all. And that can't be what Israel has in mind. It would be insanity.

There is no willing of killing any one. what happened in the war it's something else.

in war there are killing in both sides.. children, citizens and soldires or militants..

Ant way.. about the rally protest it may be a compromise after all..
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

If the whole thing ends peacefully it will be wonderful.

Personally, I find it moving that so many people came out to speak their minds for so long and it didn't turn bloody. It shows something positive to the rest of the world.

Hopefully, it stays that way.
Nomad

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by Nomad »

Protesters demand Lesbian PM resigns

Why ?

Just because shes a lesbian ?

Thats ridiculous !
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Massive Lebanon Protest

Post by koan »

Nomad;482747 wrote: Protesters demand Lesbian PM resigns

Why ?

Just because shes a lesbian ?

Thats ridiculous !

A lesbian meeting with Condi Rice is a scary thought, no?

Return to “Discuss”